• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Hasney

I do hate cover systems like this too. Hit a to auto run to location. Always put me off Gears, but at least you had more control while he ran to cover I that in terms of speed.

oti

Banned
Still nothing from the Nvidia promotion. It's only three days till release, what are you waiting for Uplay?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I love the animation system. It's hands down the best combination of smoothness and responsiveness I've ever experienced. There are virtually no awkward or jerky transitions, the number of contextual animations is astounding (and they're always seamless), and everyone feels like they're part of a universe that actually has gravity. I would describe it as completely natural and not at all clunky.
My favorite contextual animation is how Aiden might trip over himself if he attempts to vault and do parkour moves while being shot at. That's very realistic because it shows that he's a badass who can make mistakes under pressure. Those kinda things are what keeps games like this immersive down the line.

omonimo

Banned
[url]http://s23.postimg.org/d4bgju7qj/wdcomp3.gif[/url][/b]
Wow I'm expected so many downgrade on xbone. It's worrying. Car shadow it's awful.

omonimo

Banned
wdcomp3.gif

Wow I'm expected so many downgrade on xbone. It's worrying. Car shadow it's awful.

DrBo42

I do hate cover systems like this too. Hit a to auto run to location. Always put me off Gears, but at least you had more control while he ran to cover I that in terms of speed.

This one in particular isn't very good at letting you break that cover to cover movement.

My favorite contextual animation is how Aiden might trip over himself if he attempts to vault and do parkour moves while being shot at. That's very realistic because it shows that he's a badass who can make mistakes under pressure. Those kinda things are what keeps games like this immersive down the line.
That and his reaction to explosions are really cool.

wdcomp3.gif

Xbone version confirmed to change car color and position. Downgrade from sweet car outside in PS4 version.

I agree with you about the driving, but feel almost the exact opposite about everything else :eek:

I love the animation system. It's hands down the best combination of smoothness and responsiveness I've ever experienced. There are virtually no awkward or jerky transitions, the number of contextual animations is astounding (and they're always seamless), and everyone feels like they're part of a universe that actually has gravity. I would describe it as completely natural and not at all clunky.

The shooting system is about on par with GTA imo. The guns have more recoil for sure, but I haven't had any issues with hit detection in relation to neutralizing enemies, and the aiming itself is good.

And what res are you running? I've got my framerate locked at 30 so performance isn't an issue, but I can imagine that it would dip if you're using 60 fps as your metric.

Did they ever fix how awkwardly unreal the baton/nightstick animtion he whoops out for melee is? I always thought it looked weird how he was able to pull that out of nowhere in one of the earlier trailers.

GHG

Do you have any performance numbers to backup those claims? Those shots appear to be downsampled from a much higher resolution and, no doubt, are utilizing Ultra settings. Have we seen any performance number showcasing the game running at, say, 4k resolution with Ultra settings at a smooth frame-rate?

I always said they were probably downsampled and unplayable on most hardware... The issue is that people said those screens would be completely unattainable on the PC version at any setting. Thats clearly not true.

omonimo

Banned
Huh? They look very similar to me, Xbone version has less (no?) ambient occlusion and the shadows are slightly lower res, but they both look fine in my opinion
Shadow it's not slightly lower res, it's low res. It's a remarkable difference. SSAO it's completely gone. Considering the lower res I'm expected the same setting on xbone .

Xbone version confirmed to change car color and position. Downgrade from sweet car outside in PS4 version.

Did they ever fix how awkwardly unreal the baton/nightstick animtion he whoops out for melee is? I always thought it looked weird how he was able to pull that out of nowhere in one of the earlier trailers.
Nah he still whips that shit out like its nothing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I always said they were probably downsampled and unplayable on most hardware... The issue is that people said those screens would be completely unattainable on the PC version at any setting. Thats clearly not true.
Really? They were idiots then as it even looks very similar to those shots on PS4 (at a lower resolution, of course). The PC specific improvements are nice but ultimately rather subtle and don't dramatically alter the look of the game.

It's a better looking game than people were expecting, I think.

I've been playing the PS4 version for a few hours and I'll expound on a few other little details.

I really think Watch Dogs is best described as an open world stealth game. Aiden isn't a fighter and each encounter with the enemy allows you to set off things to take them out one by one, kinda like a puzzle. It's pretty smart and not very often done in AAA games like this. Also the AI is smart if you go all out shooting, they cleverly flank and close in on you and use teamwork to suppress and try to get you. I'm honestly surprised and shocked at how often I had to stay ahead of the enemies through moving from cover to cover and to ensure that they can't get close to me. Driving mechanics are pretty horrible but police chases are fun because it essentially becomes MGS in terms of stealth. Since you can turn off your car engine and hide in alleys, it almost feels like snake hiding in a corner waiting for alert to be over. You can either out run the police chases or cleverly drive from alley to alley and turn off your engine when you think you're in danger of being spotted.

So far the story is alright, I'm not into Aiden or his cast as characters much. It's pretty serviceable but nothing outstanding. I'd like to say that the Digital trips NVZN and Cash run apps on your phone are pretty amazing and act like fun distractions from the serious story.

You get:

Madness, a deathrace 2000-esque game where you have to run down demons to get souls to get faster

Alone, an apocalyptic silent hill-ish stealth game where you have to access points while evading robots with spotlights for heads. The city is ruined and you are alone in a fog covered city.

Psychadelic, Pretty much a temple run like game to get aiden to fly as high as possible by bouncing on flowers

Spider-tank, the star of the 4 games where you control a giant robot spider that can climb up walls, shoot gatling guns and missiles and try to destroy as much as you can.

NVZN, Shoot a pixel gun against space invaders-esque enemies, pretty fun

Another thing I have to mention is how much LIFE the city has It's really wonderful to walk by and hear 5 different conversations and half the time in different languages, I've heard mexican, french, chinese and english so far and I probably think I'll hear more. I even saw a guy rapping to his friend and eavesdropping into someone's phone conversation. It really makes you feel like you're a part of the city. There's something really atmospheric about parking your car at a sidewalk, turning off the engine and listening to the pitter-patter of the rain while you listen to blues on the radio and scan the passer-by. Overall the game is a fun experience and Ubisoft should be commended on some of the things they did right. The game is flawed in some ways but knowing ubisoft, I doubt this will be the last time we see Watch dogs.

Excellent.

Hasney

One thing I really hate is the presentation of some cutscenes. Playing on Steam streaming and had to go check the host as it tears like a bad YouTube video, but no, that was by design.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing I really hate is the presentation of some cutscenes. Playing on Steam streaming and had to go check the host as it tears like a bad YouTube video, but no, that was by design.
Wait, what? There's tearing during cutscenes? Are they video clips or realtime?

I've been playing the PS4 version for a few hours and I'll expound on a few other little details.

I really think Watch Dogs is best described as an open world stealth game. Aiden isn't a fighter and each encounter with the enemy allows you to set off things to take them out one by one, kinda like a puzzle. It's pretty smart and not very often done in AAA games like this. Also the AI is smart if you go all out shooting, they cleverly flank and close in on you and use teamwork to suppress and try to get you. I'm honestly surprised and shocked at how often I had to stay ahead of the enemies through moving from cover to cover and to ensure that they can't get close to me. Driving mechanics are pretty horrible but police chases are fun because it essentially becomes MGS in terms of stealth. Since you can turn off your car engine and hide in alleys, it almost feels like snake hiding in a corner waiting for alert to be over. You can either out run the police chases or cleverly drive from alley to alley and turn off your engine when you think you're in danger of being spotted.

So far the story is alright, I'm not into Aiden or his cast as characters much. It's pretty serviceable but nothing outstanding. I'd like to say that the Digital trips NVZN and Cash run apps on your phone are pretty amazing and act like fun distractions from the serious story.

You get:

Madness, a deathrace 2000-esque game where you have to run down demons to get souls to get faster

Alone, an apocalyptic silent hill-ish stealth game where you have to access points while evading robots with spotlights for heads. The city is ruined and you are alone in a fog covered city.

Psychadelic, Pretty much a temple run like game to get aiden to fly as high as possible by bouncing on flowers

Spider-tank, the star of the 4 games where you control a giant robot spider that can climb up walls, shoot gatling guns and missiles and try to destroy as much as you can.

NVZN, Shoot a pixel gun against space invaders-esque enemies, pretty fun

Another thing I have to mention is how much LIFE the city has. It's really wonderful to walk by and hear 5 different conversations and half the time in different languages, I've heard mexican, french, chinese and english so far and I probably think I'll hear more. I even saw a guy rapping to his friend and eavesdropping into someone's phone conversation. It really makes you feel like you're a part of the city. There's something really atmospheric about parking your car at a sidewalk, turning off the engine and listening to the pitter-patter of the rain while you listen to blues on the radio and scan the passer-by. Overall the game is a fun experience and Ubisoft should be commended on some of the things they did right. The game is flawed in some ways but knowing ubisoft, I doubt this will be the last time we see Watch dogs.

I like what I'm reading, and I'm no longer as concerned about the driving.

Karak

Huh? They look very similar to me, Xbone version has less (no?) ambient occlusion and the shadows are slightly lower res, but they both look fine in my opinion

:)
photofunny.net__final_298893652061_.jpg

Wait, what? There's tearing during cutscenes? Are they video clips or realtime?
It is that damn vsynch crap that this engine seems to have. It is hard to get right it seems to tear even with synch on I swear.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This one in particular isn't very good at letting you break that cover to cover movement.

I've just found hitting space on PC breaks your cover. Once you get use to the system and how to exploit the hacks, it becomes far easier and more fun for combat. Love driving off with cops on my tail and hitting those lights to see them get smashed, then go hide in an alleyway as they race by. This is what I've missed since finishing GTA V and its great to see it on PC.

Edit: Oh yeah, this city is so alive. I know everyone hates comparisons because no two games will be alike, but pedestrians activity wise Watch Dogs beats the crap out of GTA V. People roaming around everywhere, random events happening, hilarious text messages, weird conversations and even two dudes making out (which I awkwardly stared at while they yelled for me to fuck off). Also it is really nice to hear swearing, allows for more mature context in conversations.

Varshes

Another thing I have to mention is how much LIFE the city has. It's really wonderful to walk by and hear 5 different conversations and half the time in different languages, I've heard mexican, french, chinese and english so far and I probably think I'll hear more. I even saw a guy rapping to his friend and eavesdropping into someone's phone conversation. It really makes you feel like you're a part of the city. There's something really atmospheric about parking your car at a sidewalk, turning off the engine and listening to the pitter-patter of the rain while you listen to blues on the radio and scan the passer-by. Overall the game is a fun experience and Ubisoft should be commended on some of the things they did right. The game is flawed in some ways but knowing ubisoft, I doubt this will be the last time we see Watch dogs.

Errrrr...

Pyccko

Man, the thing I'm looking forward to the most is probably being able to turn off your car and hide in it. I actually tried to see if I could do that in GTAV when it first came out.
Police chase at night > Drive out of vision onto a dark mountain > turn off headlights > cops still see me. I was bummed.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Man, the thing I'm looking forward to the most is probably being able to turn off your car and hide in it. I actually tried to see if I could do that in GTAV when it first came out.
Police chase at night > Drive out of vision onto a dark mountain > turn off headlights > cops still see me. I was bummed.
I completely agree. It's a fantastic little detail, and I'm a total sucker for those kind of things.

The game looks either CPU or RAM bottlenecked on my GTX680, it renders nice, but often has hiccups, which doesn't look rendering related, rather some streaming or loading slowdowns. Too bad.

Bgamer90

Banned
If for you the lack of shadow occlusion & the low shadow resolution it's a minor difference , that's ok. But we are talking of the next generation of console. It's remarkable.

The game doesn't look "next-gen" on either console TBH. I mean we did all assume a few weeks ago that the game would be 1080p on the PS4 easily (with the majority of the wondering/guessing being about the framerate).

Really wouldn't use the game as a showcase and/or form of criticism of what either new console can do.

For those of us with both systems every little bit matters in choosing which version to buy.

Did you honestly really need to see a comparison to know which version to buy if you own both systems? I'd like to think it would be pretty obvious the more powerful console of the two would have the advantage in a comparison, so were you really anticipating being conflicted about which you would pick up?

The game doesn't look "next-gen" on either console TBH. I mean we did all assume a few weeks ago that the game would be 1080p on the PS4 easily (with the majority of the wondering/guessing being about the framerate).

Really wouldn't use the game as a showcase and/or form of criticism of what either new console can do.

Not only does it look next gen on both systems, it's one of the most next gen looking games released yet. Looks aren't all just about the graphics, but also every bit as much about what's possible in the game.

omonimo

Banned
The game doesn't look "next-gen" on either console TBH. I mean we did all assume a few weeks ago that the game would be 1080p on the PS4 easily (with the majority of the wondering/guess being about the framerate).

Really wouldn't use the game as a showcase of what either new console can do.
I'm not saying it's a technical showcase. I said I found worrying the lack of shadow occlusion & casting low res shadow in the main car in a next generation console which cost the same. That's all.

Top Bottom