• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

Oh lawd help me I can't play this game at 1440p 120fps ultra settings with supersampling on my GTX 760. Ima get the 900p 30fps (with dips) PS4 version instead. Changing settings hurts mah brain reel bad

Might have to bite the bullet and just play with medium textures. Even with every other setting maxed (except for AA) putting the textures down to medium greatly reduced the stuttering and the frame rate stayed above 30 for about 10 minutes of pure driving.

TSM

I made some graphs. This was captured over 5 minutes of very standard gameplay. I walked around a little, a crime was detected, nicked a car, drove to the area, interrupted the crime and killed the criminal. Stole another car and went through a mildly destructive chase with Police. Note the frequently terrible frame times.

14107488557_431153b29d_o.png

14293546104_e61b167c08_o.png

14291957872_1094b2375c_o.png

Frames Per Second
14107284130_5491ec1b75_o.png

Frame Times
14107283970_97e1e577c6_o.png

Yeah, running in SLI seems to cause horrible stuttering. A lot of people that disable one of the cards actually get better performance with a single card then in SLI.

Smokey

What is you guys' CPU usage looking like? I've got a 2600k. As you can see in the image below, it was never pegged at 100%. I thought I remembered reading that others were noticing their CPU usage was very high. Wondering if that could be contributing to some of the stutter?

rashbeep

Banned
My settings

1440p
High Textures
SMAA
Ultra LOD
High Shadows
Ultra Reflections
HBAO+ High
Motion Blur On
DOF On
Water Ultra
Shaders High

Game runs at 30-40 fps with no stuttering. This is the performance I expect from my PC most of the time since this resolution is demanding, so personally I can't see what all the fuss is about with this game's optimization.

After playing both the pc and ps4 version I can easily recommend the ps4 version over what my 660 is getting, with high settings and high textures I get 35-45fps all the time but during driving only i get random stutters that dont affect framerate but have a massive effect on player input tried playing with medium textures and at 800x600 and couldnt get rid of them.

The PS4 version I've played for 10hrs so far and the framerate has never gone below 30 and their is no stuttering whatsoever I dunno whats going on with the pc version but hopefully its patchable

kamspy

Since I know I won't be getting 60, I'm going for glory with 30.

680 2gb
amd 1100t (underclocked since it overheats)
8gb mem

1920x1080
v sync 2 frames
gpu 3 frames

SMAA + temp
Textures High
LOD Ultra
Shadows High
Reflections High
HBAO+ High
Water High
DOF On
Shader High

Manage to maintain that desired (in this case) 30fps whenever I'm not speeding through a new part of a city. If I know I'm doing a driving mission I'll dump the AO and turn Reflections and LOD down to med and high. turn v sync down to 1 frame and get 50s.

What is you guys' CPU usage looking like? I've got a 2600k. As you can see in the image below, it was never pegged at 100%. I thought I remembered reading that others were noticing their CPU usage was very high. Wondering if that could be contributing to some of the stutter?
Mines usually up in the high 90s with a 2500k @4.5

Can't wait to see what GTA V will look like on PC! Really pleased with WD atm.

Same!!! Although Watch Dogs has made the wait for GTA V PC wayyyyyyyy more bearable. And it looks and plays excellent (a few minor stutters, but easily tolerable) on my rig:
I7 950 @ 4.0Ghz
GTX 760
6GB RAM.
(everything on ULTRA except textures on High)

Can someone tell me how well I could run this game on these specs?

Gtx 770 (2 gigs of ram)

8 gigs of RAM

i5-4570 clocked at 3.20GHz

I know no one has my exact set up, and so you can only give estimates, but that would be really appreciated

derExperte

got the game to stay at 60 while walking but man, sometimes there's just straight up hangups when driving. Like the screen will show me one frame per 5 seconds or something. calling it stutter is putting it lightly

That sounds too extreme. I have a not-oced 2500 and a 660 and while the framerate dips when driving it never gets this bad (almost no difference between installing it on my SSD and a not very fast 5400 hdd btw). Maybe your hardware is overheating and throttling down?

b0bbyJ03

I know many people have said it but no one has really stated clearly that there is a fix for the stuttering its just that unfortunately nobody will like it. I've tested on my PC and a few others and setting textures to medium absolutely gets rid of it. I've got an OCed 3 GB 780 paired with a 3770k and it doesn't matter what mixture of settings i use only turning textures down to medium gets rid of it. i have everything maxed out at ultra and textures at medium and getting perfect performance. so now you can all make the choice, pretty textures and stuttering or crap textures and great performance.

Since I know I won't be getting 60, I'm going for glory with 30.

680 2gb
amd 1100t (underclocked since it overheats)
8gb mem

1920x1080
v sync 2 frames
gpu 3 frames

SMAA + temp
Textures High
LOD Ultra
Shadows High
Reflections High
HBAO+ High
Water High
DOF On
Shader High

Manage to maintain that desired (in this case) 30fps whenever I'm not speeding through a new part of a city. If I know I'm doing a driving mission I'll dump the AO and turn Reflections and LOD down to med and high. turn v sync down to 1 frame and get 50s.

Sounds like you are CPU limited. Your card should be able to do more.

I know many people have said it but no one has really stated clearly that there is a fix for the stuttering its just that unfortunately nobody will like it. I've tested on my PC and a few others and setting textures to medium absolutely gets rid of it. I've got an OCed 3 GB 780 paired with a 3770k and it doesn't matter what mixture of settings i use only turning textures down to medium gets rid of it. i have everything maxed out at ultra and textures at medium and getting perfect performance. so now you can all make the choice, pretty textures and stuttering or crap textures and great performance.

That's what I thought, but putting shadows down to high enables me to play without stuttering on my 2gb card and high textures.

The guy in the other thread with the 6GB titan was pre nvidia driver release. There was a guy in this thread with a 6GB titan that wasn't having any issues:

That's besides the point. The mere fact that when I disable SLI i get stuttering, is proof that it isn't VRAM usage.

Just played the game a bit with old driver and then installed the latest. Literally no difference in framerate. Playing in 1440p, gtx 670, 3570k, 16gigs, still get about 30fps.

High or Ultra settings, I do not see any difference in effects nor frames, for now. If I OC my cpu, will I get higher frames?

The issues are mostly with running the game at the highest settings. You could easily find a happy medium between that and the PS4 version, assuming you have the specs.

If you are interested in dumping a code cheap though let me know, I may know someone who is interested.

that makes no sense unless your PC can't play this game at 900p/PS4 settings and 30 fps

The issue that got me worried is not the performance, but the fact that a big ass chunk of players arent able to play the game at all because of the uPlay.

If I use this code and can't play at all, then yea, the PS4 version would sound better to anyone at the moment. Also my friends are on the consoles so that holds major weight for me.

It's just up in the air right now.

But, I got a feeling later down the line, the community mods will make the difference.

HRose

Banned
Can someone tell me how well I could run this game on these specs?

Gtx 770 (2 gigs of ram)

8 gigs of RAM

i5-4570 clocked at 3.20GHz

I know no one has my exact set up, and so you can only give estimates, but that would be really appreciated

It will run "fine".

Do not even try setting textures at "ultra", and keep most of everything else to high.

Buburibon

Yeah I don't get any stuttering at all on my single Titan

Weird.

At all? Not even while driving? It's not that I don't believe you, but that's pretty incredible. I was convinced that absolutely everyone had to deal with stuttering while behind the wheel. Ubi has probably play-tested on a system identical to yours and thought everything was perfectly fine.

I too own a single Titan, by the way.

b0bbyJ03

The issue that got me worried is not the performance, but the fact that a big ass chunk of players arent able to play the game at all because of the uPlay.

If I use this code and can't play at all, then yea, the PS4 version would sound better to anyone at the moment. Also my friends are on the consoles so that holds major weight for me.

But, I got a feeling later down the line, the community mods will make the difference.

the trick to this is to set uplay to start in offline mode. the option is available in the settings. Once this is set uplay never has to connect to its servers and prevent you from playing.

TSM

At all? Not even while driving? It's not that I don't believe you, but that's pretty incredible. I was convinced that absolutely everyone had to deal with stuttering while behind the wheel. Ubi has probably play-tested on a system identical to yours and thought everything was perfectly fine.

I too own a single Titan, by the way.

This game is all about vram. Until your maximum vram usage drops below your cards vram amount you get stuttering. The main problem is that the game doesn't give you any means of determining how much vram anything uses. The best fix Ubisoft could probably provide right now is a cumulative total of vram you will be using as you select your configuration options.

Conezays

So I just picked this up through GMG...I feel like I should've read up more on the game before hand regarding the issues.

Is the shortcut on my desktop with the added tag to fix the stutter for sure? I'm not sure if I did it correctly or any other ideal settings I should try.

Bah.

Branson

I hope there will be mods. Who knows though with the whole uplay drm.

noomi

So I took my 780's off SLI, and decided to try the game again, the FPS were nearly identical.... what the hell?

gsx302

hey guys. i am newish to pc gaming. i have a rig that has an i5 4570, 8 gb of ram, and a 780ti. what are my ideal settings for this game? thanks for the help.

Buburibon

This game is all about vram. Until your maximum vram usage drops below your cards vram amount you get stuttering. The main problem is that the game doesn't give you any means of determining how much vram anything uses. The best fix Ubisoft could probably provide right now is a cumulative total of vram you will be using as you select your configuration options.

Thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure I understand. I've been using EVGA Precision and GPU-Z to track my VRAM usage, and they both agree it has never gone above ~4100MB. So, you're saying WD is using more than 6GB VRAM (my card's limit) and somehow the aforesaid tools aren't able to detect it?

Thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure I understand. I've been using EVGA Precision and GPU-Z to track my VRAM usage, and they both agree it has never gone above ~4100MB. So, you're saying WD is using more than 6GB VRAM (my card's limit) and somehow the aforesaid tools aren't able to detect it?

Yeah, there is definitely a different problem than it having only to do with VRAM.

TSM

I doubt that you are running out of vram. Another thing it could be is that the game just isn't able to stream the assets into vram quickly enough. Even if you have 6GB of vram, everything still has to be loaded from your HDD. This is an open world game and everything is streamed into memory as needed.

Kinthalis

Banned
BAsed on what people are reporting, it looks like there is an issue with the texture streaming algorithms on PC.

Hopefully they can fix it up soon. It's apparently pretty bad for AMD card users specially unless they drop texture to medium.

BAsed on what people are reporting, it looks like there is an issue with the texture streaming algorithms on PC.

Hopefully they can fix it up soon. It's apparently pretty bad for AMD card users specially unless they drop texture to medium.

It's not quite that dire, it's more like some AMD users have to drop textures down one level than comparable Nvidia users do. And even that doesn't seem to always be the case.

x3sphere

Hmm... I don't have any issues with my 290X on Ultra at 3440x1440, settings my 3GB 780 couldn't handle at all (single digit FPS drops). However, I also have the game installed on an SSD.

Eh? Opposite of what I'm hearing. At least for the 290x. HardOCP's performance review said game ran the smoothest on 290x. Someone else posted here earlier saying he swapped his 780 for 290x and he could run everything on Ultra without any stutterings.

Buburibon

Yeah, there is definitely a different problem than it having only to do with VRAM.

I doubt that you are running out of vram. Another thing it could be is that the game just isn't able to stream the assets into vram quickly enough. Even if you have 6GB of vram, everything still has to be loaded from your HDD. This is an open world game and everything is streamed into memory as needed.

Yes, something else is definitely up, and it reminds me of Bioshock Infinite and all of its stuttering last year when it was released on PC. Irrational managed to improve the streaming with a few patches, but it still isn't perfect.

SaberEdge

He's playing at 1600p (essentially two 1080p panels) and everything at ultra on a GPU 3 gens old.

I think that's pretty good. We're talking doing the rendering work of what like 3 PS4's do for this game.

I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with this game's performance on my system. It's much better optimized than AC4.

With AC4, no matter which settings I turn down, it's hard to achieve 60fps on my GTX 770 due to the poor optimization on the processor side of things.

With Watch Dogs I am able to turn down some settings and achieve a pretty stable 60fps, except for a few dips while driving mostly.

However, I actually prefer to just turn up everything to ultra, downsample a bit from 2048 x 1152 on a 1080p display, and use 2x TXAA, while capping the framerate at 30fps. This makes the game look pretty amazing, and very clean. Not to mention that 30fps seems a bit smoother in this game than in a lot of other games. Doesn't seem to be a lot of frame latency spikes...the frame delivery is very even on my system.

Top Bottom