• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Way of the Samurai 4 |OT| $39.99 @ PSN for Megamelons

Sagitario

Q3gDYl.jpg

Those hairy legs look so odd on a videogame character
[yes, the hair on the legs is what's weird]

Haha, good Lord at the amount of hate the launch trailer is getting on Youtube. It's like people forgot how to have fun in videogames. Anyway, two more months for us UK peasants -_-

Haha, good Lord at the amount of hate the launch trailer is getting on Youtube. It's like people forgot how to have fun in videogames. Anyway, two more months for us UK peasants -_-

Didn't see that much hate. A lot of WTFs and surprised comments, but also a lot of people who enjoyed the wackiness. We've already had 2(?) serious trailers out for Way of the Samurai 4, so we just said what the hell and made the weirdest, funniest thing we could. I think our production assistant outdid herself with the 17 kicks to face ending. :)

From the videos I've seen, the opening battle's framerate is pretty shit. How's the rest of the game? I remember WOTS3's framerate going to shit in some of the bigger battles.

MightyKAC

Are the frame rate/tearing issues that much worse then they were in the last game? If not I might give this one a go.

Beautiful.

Glad you like it, CJ.

Just went back for a quick look at it and the red is beginning to overwhelm the green... I see in the comments that people are asking why it's so over-the-top and that we should have shown more samurai stuff, but the first two trailers were very serious samurai stuff... Guess you're right, Dick Justice. :(

Glad you like it, CJ.

Just went back for a quick look at it and the red is beginning to overwhelm the green... I see in the comments that people are asking why it's so over-the-top and that we should have shown more samurai stuff, but the first two trailers were very serious samurai stuff... Guess you're right, Dick Justice. :(

Yeah, most of the comments I've seen are generally ones criticizing the visuals, saying it looks like a PS2 game. It's annoying as hell, because shit like COD does the same old each year (with graphics unchanged from 2007), while games like this that actually try to provide a different experience generally get ignored.

Still feeling my way around but eh I think I'm enjoying this more than the third game.

The journal is really nice since it tracks all events so you're not doing the same thing over and over without a clue as to where to go next.

Structure seems to be similar to the rest of the games. You get three days to meet people, make enemies, maybe even make some friends. Depending on your decisions you enter some sort of finale. For example on my first playthrough which I just finished I
won a battle tournament
. There's plenty of free time (from the 4th day onward I think) for other excursions of course like fishing, blacksmithing, picking fights, and so on.

Anyway some hard numbers

2:20 - The amount of time it took me to complete my first playthrough. Yeah it's a short game but the replay value is immense. I've put tons of hours into WOTS1 and 3.
170 Missions - oddjobs for pocket money
14 different variations of Nightcrawling - I almost did one but I got caught up in an event and missed my appointment. First I had to woo a lady through a series of pick-up lines then meet her at wherever her place is...next playthrough I suppose.
22 fish - I hate fishing so probably not gonna mess with this much.
10 endings - 9 to go for me.
Haven't ran into online NPCs yet. That should be interesting.
82 styles - Yeah there are a LOT of moves from what I can tell.
Even guns but I haven't learned how yet.
109 weapons - You can still build your own too
105 Unlocks - Lots of stuff to spent Samurai points on.(points you get from completing a playthrough)

Lots of stuff to do it looks like. Guess I'll get back to it.

Yeah, most of the comments I've seen are generally ones criticizing the visuals, saying it looks like a PS2 game. It's annoying as hell, because shit like COD does the same old each year (with graphics unchanged from 2007), while games like this that actually try to provide a different experience generally get ignored.

It might not appeal visually to everyone, but it really is chock full of things to do, and I hope that more people will give it a chance. Heck, our PA hated it at first, but after having to play it endlessly for QA and to make trailers she loves it now. It's a game that takes time to breathe, I think.

Anyway, I'd say graphic haters might be the least of what people say. I may have just seen an article insinuating that the game contains a mini-rape simulator! :D

Still feeling my way around but eh I think I'm enjoying this more than the third game.

The journal is really nice since it tracks all events so you're not doing the same thing over and over without a clue as to where to go next.

Structure seems to be similar to the rest of the games. You get three days to meet people, make enemies, maybe even make some friends. Depending on your decisions you enter some sort of finale. For example on my first playthrough which I just finished I
won a battle tournament
. There's plenty of free time (from the 4th day onward I think) for other excursions of course like fishing, blacksmithing, picking fights, and so on.

That journal is invaluable. It really helps you navigate through replays to make sure that you get different branches of the story. And, did you by chance win the tournament and
stay on stage to receive your prize?
;)

That journal is invaluable. It really helps you navigate through replays to make sure that you get different branches of the story. And, did you by chance win the tournament and
stay on stage to receive your prize?
;)

Yeah...I think so at least. Proud member of the Demonscales?

cj_iwakura

Does the game have any seriousness to it? I recall hearing it was about clashes of outlooks on how to run society, but the trailers do make it look more silly than anything. (Then again, Yakuza's guilty of this too, and it's pretty dang serious at the core.)

Foffy

Banned
You know, maybe XSeed is doing a questionable thing by only emphasizing the silly, optional stuff you can do in these games. Every time they've showed the game it's gotten a negative reception, and I think this has to do with the fact they show the silly physics, odd weapons, and crazy character options...

And $40 is way too much for a downloadable game. I was expecting the fact it wasn't retail meant it was at least $15-$30, so I'm sad to say I'm currently passing on the game.

Does the game have any seriousness to it? I recall hearing it was about clashes of outlooks on how to run society, but the trailers do make it look more silly than anything. (Then again, Yakuza's guilty of this too, and it's pretty dang serious at the core.)

If you played Tenchu or Shinobido, think similarly to those. The main meat of the game is serious, but you can do some pretty silly shit.

Oh yeah there's a plot as well involving xenophobia, honor, nationalism, and all sorts of other stuff.

Of course on this playthrough I've decided to be a woman wearing just her underwear and a top hat big enough to sleep in.

Shame there's no screenshot function. I get the feeling I'm gonna have to fire up my craptastic capture card and share the goofiness.

It does, and the first two trailers showcased the serious side:

Way of the Samurai 4 Website: Trailers 1 & 2 are in the Multimedia section

This 3rd and final launch trailer was to show the fun bits. Guess no one saw the first two...

You know, maybe XSeed is doing a questionable thing by only emphasizing the silly, optional stuff you can do in these games. Every time they've showed the game it's gotten a negative reception, and I think this has to do with the fact they show the silly physics, odd weapons, and crazy character options...

And $40 is way too much for a downloadable game. I was expecting the fact it wasn't retail meant it was at least $15-$30, so I'm sad to say I'm currently passing on the game.

If you played Tenchu or Shinobido, think similarly to those. The main meat of the game is serious, but you can do some pretty silly shit.

All our previous media stuff was serious. We've been posting some silly pics in the blog and on the facebook, but we haven't neglected the serious side. People just notice the goofy stuff more. As for the price, sorry to hear you're passing on it. WotS3 was $49.99 and since it our release is digital we dropped it to $39.99. It is a very full game, and I think people will be able to get a lot out of it.

Played for half an hour (first WotS game) and was totally baffled by it top to bottom. How weird is it that you have to pick items up with the little kick?

Though I gotta say, it's complete open freedom and goofball charm is really growing on me.

Is this sort of like Kengo Master of Bushido? Is it an action adventure or what? It's completely odd and intriguing to me that I'm considering picking it up.

Ok after reading the site more this looks fucking cool. I'm getting a Kenzan vibe here. Are the other WOTS games quest based and all that?

Yeah, they're all very similar. Don't expect the same level of polish as Yakuza, though.

Hmm that's fine honestly ,but this is totally out of left field for me. I didn't realize this series was more adventure based, so to speak. I thought it was like those large scale battlefield games...

I'm actually quite excited and surprised by this one.

Yeah, that's what I love about it, the adventure feeling, carving out your own story and all that. Really, a smaller world like the ones in the WOTS games can feel more immersive at times than ones in bigger sandbox games.

sensui-tomo

So far i'm loving this game, just wondering however, Is the skin for the original samurai from WoTs in it like in 3 or is it just the wots 3 guy? anyways looks like i have to get used to learning more about the ingame stats like durability... miss the old version from 1-3 but alas this is nicer to use :D so i can spam some nifty combos...

The price is fine, if you don't feel its worth it, speak for yourself.

Three endings down.
I'm getting close to hitting a wall as to how to get most of the other endings.

I've never been particularly good at this. WOTS has a history of obtuse ending requirements.

I've played about 2 hours (no endings as I still don't know the controls and keep dying) but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not seeing why this was $40 when something like Deadly Premonition can get a disc release for $20 tho

Elios83

Never been into the series, but I'm kinda attracted by the japanese setting and personality.
Is it worth it? I've read that it's full of mini games and japanese humor but gameplay is rough.

EXGN

Loved WOTS1, was one of my favorite PS2 games of all time. WOTS2 was hugely disappointing and never tried 3. Will keep my eye on this thread and the initial impressions, I need some more samurai gaming goodness.

Hm, the first WotS was awesome, but I got the second waaay after it came out and it just wasn't the same. Then I got the third when it came out, and only played it for maybe an hour before getting frustrated that I couldn't find some old lady's underwear and never went back.

How does this compare to WotS3? I need to go back and give that one another try.

Top Bottom