• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are now officially entering Earth's Sixth Mass Extinction Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The paper doesn't explain what's so bad about this. As long as humans and our food sources make it though the mass-extinction rate what's the big deal?

Yeah same with cultures, countries, books, etc. As long as humans still exist, can still write, etc., what's the big deal?

Africanus

To be fair, the last five major extinction events all happened with zero human intervention. I think it's fair to say that what we are doing is not good for the planet and that we are contributing to the current event, but I don't know if it's completely right to attribute it to us fully.

If not fully, then to a large degree so as to be the main culprit.

We have become the asteroid.

bazzaar

Neo Member
Ecosystems don't work that way.

You are right. I do however feel that if the shit really does hit the fan that us as humans can figure a way back from the brink. From an individual level there will be a huge amount of pain but as a society I like to think we can recover.

Lamel

Banned
That's actually very interesting. Its unfortunate because it doesn't really affect us too much, so we aren't even that aware of this happening. But loss in biodiversity will eventually catch up to us as well and will affect us adversely.

If not fully, then to a large degree so as to be the main culprit.

We have become the asteroid.

I would say the difference is that unless we nuke each other to death, we're actively working towards preserving our lives to continue onward. This is something that animals didn't, nor can do.

The paper doesn't explain what's so bad about this. As long as humans and our food sources make it though the mass-extinction rate what's the big deal?

Even better: scientists are working on artificial beef and other meat. There will come a time when we simply won't need animals.

Seriously, though. How bad can it be? Look at the dinos, they're alright. They're even in movies now.

Don't you want to be in a movie?

The only way I see this getting fixed is if the governments of the major countries of the world completely reconstruct how society functions. I see little hope in this, however...

I for the life of me cannot understand how anyone could deny the effects shit like carbon emissions and pollution have on the planet. Even worse, is that it feels like we have plenty of alternative ways to live that could help prevent/reverse damage we are causing without dramatically interrupting our quality of life and yet for the sake of greed/profits of major corps they essentially give the middle finger to the rest of the world. It's gross.

even worse, all the money they want essentially just sits in big fat bank accounts doing nothing, instead of helping billions of people as it could. The world. All for a bigger number in a bank account. blah.

The counter is that scientists have a vested interest in predicting Doomsday in order to maintain their relevance and receive more funding.

Not saying I agree with that, but just playing Devil's Advocate.

Foffy

Banned
In other news, water is wet, and humanity is still a bunch of ignorant fucks.

It will be some sight to see when automation starts making labor extinct for people. Could we perhaps see the first technological extinction of human beings during this mass extinction event?

CTLance

9W7SuS2.jpg

It's pretty amazing that all our ancestors survived the previous five mass extinctions. But then again, if they didn't I wouldn't be saying it.

Amir0x

Banned
That's actually very interesting. Its unfortunate because it doesn't really affect us too much, so we aren't even that aware of this happening. But loss in biodiversity will eventually catch up to us as well and will affect us adversely.

It effects us a ton. The loss of biodiversity has already caught up to us. Some countries are rich enough to mitigate the effect is all, and that is only going to last so long as well.

The counter is that scientists have a vested interest in predicting Doomsday in order to maintain their relevance and receive more funding.

You mean the world where the evil scientists convince the planet to stop fucking itself and make it better? Save me from this hellish future.

Amory

I for the life of me cannot understand how anyone could deny the effects shit like carbon emissions and pollution have on the planet. Even worse, is that it feels like we have plenty of alternative ways to live that could help prevent/reverse damage we are causing without dramatically interrupting our quality of life and yet for the sake of greed/profits of major corps they essentially give the middle finger to the rest of the world. It's gross.

even worse, all the money they want essentially just sits in big fat bank accounts doing nothing, instead of helping billions of people as it could. The world. All for a bigger number in a bank account. blah.

I think the problem isn't so much that people deny climate change exists, but more that people don't really give a shit

100,000 years past the average? Something tells me they've not been measuring these accurately.

When the ash is a foot deep a 1,000 miles away it's easy to see in core samples, and they make LOTS of fossils too.

"The three super eruptions occurred 2.1 million, 1.3 million, and 640,000 years ago"

Ok it's not a big sample but it is scary. The 2.1million event was the largest and produced 2,500 times as much ash as the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption. Definitely an Apocalyptic scale event.

Humans win Round 6!

Mass extinctions are inevitable. Earth will persevere. Life will go on. Humans had a brief but illustrious lifetime as Mass Extinction Event 6. Who knows what 7 will be, probably not for another few million years after Earth has moved on from 6.

If we don't do anything about climate change, we're dead.
We're going to kill ourselves over diminishing resources that climate change will accelerate.

Or we'll just starve and population will plummet to under a million. At that point, the pollution will stop, Earth's airscrubbers will be able to do its work and reverse our damage.

Amir0x

Banned

we have a process called peer review in which data is poured over exhaustively and confirmed and re-confirmed or else the scientific community calls you out on it and tosses your study in the garbage, as has happened a zillion times in the past

but you know if the evil scientist shadow organization existed, that prooobably wouldn't have happened. Scientists don't need 'doomsday' to get funding, there are enough actual reasons - both in investments in bettering mankind's technological future, expanding food stores and fighting diseases and other such things - that they don't also need to pretend that bad shit is happening to the Earth.

It's happening. The data is real. Devil's Advocacy denied.

Foffy

Banned

No, it's happening. The only issue is we don't have the experience, the firsthand account of getting with the reality of the situation that we don't realize it. This is the sole reason people doubt the coming catastrophes from climate change and automation. Hell, people don't even get the reality that Los Angeles is at risk for one of the worst earthquakes in human history, coming in just the next few decades, based on what we know regarding the San Andreas Fault.

Most only realize things when they're hit with them. Unfortunately, every major problem we face will have to be what people suffer through in order to see as reality, because for one reason or another, they absolutely fail to understand the severity of the uh ohs we can see and predict. It's a shame we are led by the least among us, for it's that status quo that helps prevent awareness, and most of all, prevents logical action; we're stuck in the same old same old horseshit, and by hook or by crook, this will have to change.

we have a process called peer review in which data is poured over exhaustively and confirmed and re-confirmed or else the scientific community calls you out on it and tosses your study in the garbage, as has happened a zillion times in the past

but you know if the evil scientist shadow organization existed, that prooobably wouldn't have happened. Scientists don't need 'doomsday' to get funding, there are enough actual reasons - both in investments in bettering mankind's technological future, expanding food stores and fighting diseases and other such things - that they don't also need to pretend that bad shit is happening to the Earth.

It's happening. The data is real. Devil's Advocacy denied.

*pored

I'm peer reviewing your post

Not

Banned
Huge Wayward Pines Spoilers:

It's all good, just start freezing all the white and Asian people in Idaho

ugly

Humanity parallels bacterial organisms taking over their host with no concept of what will happen after. AIDs, cancer -

All things must eat and move forward. We are reaching a plateau, surely - but we are rushing towards it unsustainably.

It will take some time and many more innumerable mistakes before humanity at large can observe these effects on an individual level. When that is the case, who knows what our environment will be like?

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Mom's gonna fix it all soon. Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom