• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Wedbush) Throwing Down the Gauntlet: Can Take-Two Take on EA Sports?

rest of the report here:

http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QLUjQY... - TTWO throws down gauntlet at EA Sports.pdf

Last month, Take-Two Interactive (TTWO—Buy and Focus List) released ESPN NFL 2K5 under a co-publishing arrangement with Sega of America. The game was released on PS2 and Xbox, at a retail price of $19.95. It received average ratings of 91.8% on Xbox and 89% on PS2, according to website www.gamerankings.com, placing it on solid footing to compete favorably with industry Goliath Electronic Arts’ (ERTS—Buy) Madden NFL 2005, priced at $49.95. Although the more popular Madden NFL game received higher rankings (both versions at 93%), the differences in rankings are minor, and all four games are ranked in the top six highest scores for their respective platforms for the
year-to-date.

We initially learned of Take-Two’s plans to compete with EA in June. The company announced that it would copublish and distribute all Sega ESPN Videogames sports titles for a multi-year period. At the time, we were skeptical that Take-Two’s participation would materially alter Sega’s distant second place ranking as a sports game publisher.
Notwithstanding Take-Two’s announcement that the games would be aggressively marketed and “value” priced, we were pessimistic that any of the ESPN titles would gain significant share of the sports video game market. We also expected Electronic Arts to respond with more aggressive marketing of its titles. As of today, it is too early to
determine the extent to which Electronic Arts intends to respond.

Take-Two’s first salvo in its quest to gain market share was its decision to launch ESPN NFL 2K5 on July 20, three full weeks before the scheduled release of Madden NFL 2005. Last year’s Sega entry, ESPN NFL Football, was released on September 3, 2003, three weeks after Madden NFL 2004, and the game’s first month sales (according to NPD
Funworld TRSTS data) totaled only 195,000 units, compared to Madden’s 1.75 million unit launch in August 2003. While we expected price elasticity to drive higher ESPN NFL sales at release, especially given the pre-emptive launch, the 792,000 units sold over the first 12 days of release astounded us (we had expected 300,000 units). Our channel checks reveal that sell-through for the game has remained quite strong over the last two weeks, and we expect Take-Two to record sales of at least another 600,000 units in August.

It is difficult to determine (or quantify) the impact that the value priced ESPN games will have on Electronic Arts. We expect other titles (ESPN NHL 2K5 is due out on August 30, ESPN NBA 2K5 on October 5, and ESPN College Hoops 2K5 on November 16) to compete for market share with Electronic Arts’ titles (NHL 2005 is due on September 22—again three weeks after Take-Two’s title, with NBA Live 2005 due on October 5, and NCAA March Madness 2005 due on November 2). Suffice to say, the surprising popular reception for ESPN NFL 2K5 has caused us to rethink whether that game and other ESPN video games will have strong sales over the balance of the year. If sales are strong, we think that some portion of the sales strength is likely to come from market share losses by EA.

Our initial thought is that the value pricing of ESPN games will expand the market. We believe that there are many consumers who would not consider purchasing an EA Sports title for $49.95, but who would be intrigued by the opportunity to purchase a similar game at $19.95. However, this analysis is far too simplistic, as it implies that EA sells all of its games at premium prices. In fact, while all Madden titles in calendar 2003 generated a total of $233 million in U.S. retail sales (according to NPD), $25 million of this amount represented older versions of the game sold at reduced prices. More significantly, Madden 2004 held premium pricing through June, 2004 (10 months after
release), in spite of the fact that Sega’s NFL game was discounted to approximately $30 in February. While we expected sales of this year’s ESPN NFL games to be higher than last year’s level, we did not anticipate the tremendous consumer response to Take-Two’s marketing and aggressive pricing campaigns.

Alcibiades

did they bother to play the games, I'm sure they'd get from the first instant they see 2k5 how much of an appeal it has to casual gamers looking for presentation and glitz out of their sports games...

that said, this is the least surprising news out of NPD's numbers, in fact, the titles would have done better if they had shipped out enough quantity...

my store ran out 48 copies (24 each system) in like 2-3 days, then got another PS2 shipment in and sold quite a bit, and got a XBox shipment, and this past Saturday-Sunday (first two days of having an ESPN NFL 2k5 setup on a widescreen Samsung DLP (40 some inch TV) in the middle of the store, we sold at least 40 copies I'd say...

we had 84 and 88 (XBX and PS2, can't remember which) copies as of Friday night, and Tuesday night we had 42 and 43 copies left, and I'd guess about 70 copies in 3 days considering Monday was really slow (first day of public school here)...

look the XBox version of 2k5 is already outdoing it's Madden counterpart on ebgames.com:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/homepages/xbox/default.asp

anybody who didn't see this coming is probably not familiar with terms like Dreamcast, 2k5, Segasports, etc...

The brand name is still really powerful, and would have eaten into Madden's marketshare even at $50 (if released 3 weeks early), but at $20, this is probably going to challenge San Andreas and Halo 2 as the Christmas season's biggest title...

Good Job SEGA!

Bad Job market analysts with absolutely bad insticts of the industry's pulse...

Mrbob

Well, it looks like I didn't misread Wedbush original estimate. They did think it would be 300K for both platforms combined. I think their 600K total for August is too low. If demand is still strong, I see no reason why Augusts numbers would be lower than the 12 days of July this game was tracked. If it did 800K in 12 days in July, I say the game will break over one million additional sold in August.

Malakhov

Banned
I can't speak about Madden 2005 or NFL 2K5 because I don't play football games (though I'm tempted to give it a try at this $19.95 price tag) but I sure wish people pick up NHL 2K5 and realise how superior it is to EA's NHL series.

Like I said, I can't speak for football but Sega has owned EA in Hockey for the past few years, I don't see how people can still play EA's.

Especially when there's a significant segment of consumers that will not buy yearly updates of all the different sports. If I was Sega/TakeTwo, I'd keep the value pricing on the old consoles, and charge 40-50$ for the next gen systems. 50 for top tier sports (NFL,NBA), 40$ for the rest.

Auron

I hope Madden finally gets some competition. They've been getting away with selling the same game for full price every year for too long.

I think Take-Two/Rock* does have the potential to atleast move into the #2 slot in the US behind EA, if they are willing to diverisy their library of games. Which they might be doing.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
wow, the game is doing MUCH better than last year. The game has MAJOR problems, but lets face it 90% of the people who play these games dont care or notice.

Top Bottom