• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wednesday Box Office (Spidermania)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
1. Spiderman 2 - $40,442,604 ($40,442,604 / 1)
2. FAHRENHEIT 9/11 - $3,350,000 ($35,664,000 / 8)
3. DODGEBALL: A TRUE UNDERDOG STORY - $1,806,197 ($74,538,919 / 13)
4. THE NOTEBOOK - $1,800,000 ($19,575,000 / 6)
5. WHITE CHICKS - $1,737,148 ($33,450,491 / 8)
6. SHREK 2 - $1,224,214 ($400,977,740 / 43)

Highest Wednesday ever

Well I'm absolutely thrilled. It's 4th of July weekend, and instead of having to deal with douche's, they'll all be at the movie theaters. Celebrate America.

acklame

'Spider-Man 2' Amazes on Opening Day
by Brandon Gray
July 1, 2004

HOLLYWOOD (Box Office Mojo) – Spider-Man 2 made no sacrifice in its Wednesday bow, capturing a stunning $40.4 million.

The $200 million plus Marvel Comics adaptation snared the biggest opening day ever, besting the original Spider-Man's $39.4 million -- a record that had stood since that picture's May 3, 2002 debut. It ultimately amassed $403.7 million by the close of its domestic run, the fifth highest grossing picture of all time.

Spider-Man 2 also scored the top Wednesday ever, soaring past The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King's $34.5 million. Like that movie and many other fan-driven blockbusters, Spider-Man 2 began at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, generating around $5 million from those showings alone.

The sequel's debut marks the best of 2004, eclipsing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban's $38.3 million. Shrek 2 still holds the overall single day record with $44.8 million on its first Saturday.

Sony unmasked Spider-Man 2 at 4,152 theaters, the second widest release of all time behind Shrek 2's 4,163. The launch eclipses the 3,615 debut of the first movie and casts a web across roughly 70% of the nation's theaters.

When Sony zeroed in on Independence Day week, they were, in effect, not trying to top the $114.8 million opening weekend record of the first Spider-Man. The frame's previous highs were 2002's Men in Black II with $52.1 million, or, taking ticket price inflation into account, Independence Day with an adjusted $70 million. Whenever July 4 lands on a weekend, as it does this year, it tends to put a dent in the weekend gross. May is the month for a movie gunning for weekend honors.

What the holiday allows is potent business spread out to weekdays, not just Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The average Fourth of July Wednesday debut can rack up 40% or more of its five-day opening from Wednesday and Thursday alone. With that in mind, Spider-Man 2 could likely top The Matrix Reloaded's $144.4 million five-day, $151.9 million six-day and $158.2 million opening week records -- without the severe front-loadedness that movie suffered.

Meanwhile, Fahrenheit 9/11 added 316 theaters (a 36% boost) for a total of 1,184, but still saw business dip in the face of Spider-Man 2. The Michael Moore op-ed documentary was down 12% to an estimated $3.35 million on Wednesday, lifting its tally to $35.7 million. Picture invades another 541 theaters on Friday for a total of 1,725.

200 million by end of monday? maybe!

pestul

Meanwhile, Fahrenheit 9/11 added 316 theaters (a 36% boost) for a total of 1,184, but still saw business dip in the face of Spider-Man 2. The Michael Moore op-ed documentary was down 12% to an estimated $3.35 million on Wednesday, lifting its tally to $35.7 million. Picture invades another 541 theaters on Friday for a total of 1,725.
Bearing in mind that BOM reviewed F-9/11 with a F. :rolleyes:

Kuroyume

Banned
Passion of the who? Looks like the passion is with Spiderman because he is going to MURDER the other's numbers/

Bog

Junior Ace
I bet Shane West is really hating the fact that Tobey got picked over him for the role.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
acklame said:
No, but the movie was so damn awesome.

Well, then be glad that you saw it and enjoyed it. What difference does it make how well it did and whether it set sales records? The majority of my favorite movies didn't make jack shit in the theatre and it makes no difference to me. It's just such a meaningless pissing contest. The people ultimately profitting from it are composed primarily of businessmen and executive producers.

Seth C

Minotauro said:
What's with the Spiderman cheerleaders? Do you have some stake in the profits?

I assume most are just huge Spider-Man or Sam fans, probably both. Do you celebrate in seeing your friends do well in life, or do you bitch and whine because you're not sharing in the profits with them, too?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Seth C said:
I assume most are just huge Spider-Man or Sam fans, probably both. Do you celebrate in seeing your friends do well in life, or do you bitch and whine because you're not sharing in the profits with them, too?

48774753.gif

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
MrAngryFace said:
Why dont you just shut the fuck up and go make your own thread to piss your pants in.

HAIL TO THE MAF.

Paradox

Why do people like seeing big profits for a movie like Spider Man? Simple. We get more sequels. Of course us Spider Man fans are rejoicing for great numbers.

Minotauro

MrAngryFace said:
Why dont you just shut the fuck up and go make your own thread to piss your pants in.

Uhm, because I was responding to specific posts in this thread? Dumbshit.

I also want to commend you for your fantastically insightful response. Congratulations as well to the dozen or so morons and their tired "owned" posts.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Minotauro said:
Uhm, because I was responding to specific posts in this thread? Dumbshit.

I also want to commend you for your fantastically insightful response. Congratulations as well to the dozen or so morons and their tired "owned" posts.

48774753.gif

Minotauro

Seth C said:

There's a world of difference between feeling glad for the success of your friends and exaulting in a movie studio and theatre chains making insane amounts of money.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Minotauro said:
There's a world of difference between feeling glad for the success of your friends and exaulting in a movie studio and theatre chains making insane amounts of money.

Movie theatres usually make close to nothing when a film is first released, so you know.

Alcibiades

Willco said:
Movie theatres usually make close to nothing when a film is first released, so you know.

they make about 30-40% of the grosses (about 30% for big releases, 40% smaller films) + any profits from concession items (which are big margin grabbers for threatres)...

theatres got plenty rich on Wednesday

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Minotauro said:

Geez you're just as annoying as that butch lesbo in your avatar.

Willco

Hollywood Square
efralope said:
they make about 30-40% of the grosses (about 30% for big releases, 40% smaller films) + any profits from concession items (which are big margin grabbers for threatres)...

theatres got plenty rich on Wednesday

Most theaters make under 30% (20-25% is more likely) the first week and usually never more than 35%. When you figure in how much it costs to run a damn theater these days, they are not real money makers. That's why you're seeing more and more close down and these huge theaters with THIRTY-FIVE BILLION screens open up instead.

And while these numbers are high, they'd better be. Spider-Man 2 cost $200 million to make. It's not like anybody is pocketing $40 million from yesterday.

Alcibiades

Well, I remember a big contraversy when George Lucas wanted 70% of Phantom Menace profits and only 30% to chain owners so they were hitting a new level, but maybe it's gone even more now...

I agree Sony needs this to be huge, I think about $100 million went into marketing alone or something like that...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Minotauro said:

Personally I enjoy tracking how much movies make, theater counts, percentage drops, etc. and seeing how they compare to each other. I'm not necessarily pulling for the studio, but I might be pulling for Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi because I like their movies.

I also think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling this way ;)

Willco

Hollywood Square
efralope said:
Well, I remember a big contraversy when George Lucas wanted 70% of Phantom Menace profits and only 30% to chain owners so they were hitting a new level, but maybe it's gone even more now...

I agree Sony needs this to be huge, I think about $100 million went into marketing alone or something like that...

Haha, Sony didn't even spend $40 million on marketing probably. They probably MADE money with marketing. Seriously. They pocketed so much cash with partnerships with Dr. Pepper, Burger King and the like it's not funny. That number is crazy!

The norm is that big movies get close to 80% now, which is why smaller theaters are closing down. The bigger large multiplexes can live with the percentage deals because since they pull in more people because they have more screens, they sell more crap at the concession stand. And that's obviously where they make their cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom