• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker 2 is bombing at the Box Office

The only truly iconic part of this joker is his design, his clothes and facepaint, it always fell short in everything else.

Its really a shame letting that to waste.

Last edited:
462542678_1210425640230346_2424164554786474126_n.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
who knows where it'll end up but it wont be close to $1B.

Oddly, International has done much better than domestic 2:1. Numbers.com has Joker 2 at $40M, and International at $75M. And International doesnt even have all countries tracked yet.

Looking at some recent movies like Spidey, Deadpool and Th Batman, Domestic/International split is closer to 1:1.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

CastorSoze

Neo Member
I just wish I was at the pitch meeting where the guy who just made you a billion dollars walks up to you and says “the sequel is gonna be a musical”, lmao.

What do you even do at that point?
I'm sure we'll see the pitch meeting later this week. 😀

I'll wait until this available for home viewing, which, going by the time between Borderlands performing badly and it's digital release, won't be far away.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Get used to it Todd, I don't think you will be working for a while. I believe the Hollywood term is "Director Jail"
How much of the fault lies on the script though. Maybe it's a combination of many aspects.

I’ve been told Joaquin and Gaga did a good job..

RAÏSanÏa

In general, people don’t want to see musical movies. It’s cheesy. If they want to see it, they pay more money and watch a live show at a downtown theatre paying $100/ticket. No different than going to concert. Unless it’s Taylor swift nobody is going to pay $12 to watch a concert in a theatre. They’ll pay big money and be with 10,000s of other people at a stadium.
They might watch a Taylor concert but Cats did very poorly.

Not that I'd extend that result to impugn all musicals. I think the Greatest Showman came out around then. Poppins 2. I only saw the second and really liked it.

Who wants to see a comic book character in a musical? Lol.
the mask GIF

Captain America Dance GIF by Leroy Patterson

Celebrate Margot Robbie GIF by Regal

Happy Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

tkscz

This disaster is clearly all down to Phillips being a fucking ass hat, and WB being dumb enough to let him do what he wanted.

Dude made an excellent movie on a $70 million budget that would make $1 billion. Of course they're going to want the guy to make a sequel and let him do whatever he wants.

That said, makes zero sense they would then give him $200 million to make this sequel when he clearly didn't need it. If this movie was also $70 million, still would be losing money but losing a shit ton less.

Remember, the production is $200 million, advertising at the very LEAST is $100 million and whatever they make, theaters take half. So at the very least, this movie put WB $242.5 million in the hole.

So is this a W or an L? 114 M seems like a lot.

Absolutely a loss. To break even, they would, at the very least, need to make $600 million as theaters take half of the overall box office and the production cost does not include the marketing cost which can cost as much as the production on average or even more depending on how much they advertise it.

A good movie to keep in mind is Joss Weadon's Justice League. Movie's production was $300 million and it made over $800 million but WB still lost money from it.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

It's a massive loss. The film needs a good 500 million to break even. It 's unlikely to clear 250 million when the box office run is done. It's likely to lead to a 200 million dollar plus black hole for Warner Bros. As bad, if not worse, than The Flash.
How the fuck does a movie without any insane VFX or the like cost $500m to break even? Shit like this always makes me think money laundering

FunkMiller

How the fuck does a movie without any insane VFX or the like cost $500m to break even? Shit like this always makes me think money laundering

By all accounts 50 million of it just went on Gaga, Phoenix and Phillips. But on a film with basically two locations, you have to wonder what kind of creative accounting was going on.

cocaine GIF

Ulysses 31

Bro, think about it, theatres take about a 50% cut from ticket price(some places even more like China). So if the budget was 200M, it needs to generate 400M box office revenue to start breaking even.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Todd Phillips' reputation in the bin

You follow one of Joaquin's dream...

How $200M was injected into this with no test screenings nor any involvement from DC boss.

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

bender

What time is it?
Who wants to see a comic book character in a musical?

Tank Girl, also known as easily the best comic book movie ever created, has musical numbers in it. Maybe the downfall of Joker 2 wasn't the musical bits but rather the lack of Ice Cube dressed as a kangaroo. Think about it!

Hari Seldon

I’m a huge fan of musicals but I’d rather let a homeless guy shit in my mouth than see another comic book movie. There is no overlap at all with these audiences lmao.

FunkMiller

You just know they only stuck the face carving thing in there at the end to annoy Christopher Nolan :messenger_tears_of_joy: The dumbest trick WB ever pulled was pissing him off.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I still think a musical could have worked.

After all we already had a perfect comic book tortured incel villain musical at a slightly less than $200 million budget:

Initial takeaways, Jooiuoiaquiiouoan Phoenix is no NPH or Nathan Fillion. And Lady Gaga doesn't hold up next to OG Gamer Grrl Felicia "All Day Every" Day. And this Todd Phillips douche ain't shit compared to Casting Couch King Joss Whedon.

Discuss.

Warspite

Neo Member
How much of the fault lies on the script though. Maybe it's a combination of many aspects.

I’ve been told Joaquin and Gaga did a good job..

Could well be their fault but it looks like the start of a narrative is being set up that it was Todd Phillip's fault here.

Top Bottom