• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Box Office - Jul 19 - 21, 2024 - The twist here is we hate Disney shills

near

Gold Member
ManaByte ManaByte you have failed in your assignment, and you will be forever be known as the Disney shill. But in all seriousness, I think it’s time we bring back weekly updates on box office standings. This weekend a storm was brewing and the sequel to the 1996 disaster film Twister has beaten expectations.

‘Twisters’ Rocks Box Office With Powerful $80.5 Million Opening Weekend
The movie, a standalone sequel to the 1996 disaster epic “Twister,” has collected a massive $80.5 million from 4,151 North American theaters in its debut. Heading into the weekend, the follow-up film was projected to generate $50 million to $55 million. It’s the third-biggest opening weekend of the year behind “Inside Out 2” ($154 million) and “Dune: Part Two” ($82 million). Directed by “Minari” filmmaker Lee Isaac Chung, “Twisters” stars Daisy Edgar-Jones, Glen Powell and Anthony Ramos as storm chasers who find themselves in the fight of their lives as multiple tornadoes converge over central Oklahoma.
In second place, Universal and Illumination’s “Despicable Me 4” added $23 million from 4,112 venues in its third weekend of release. So far, the animated sequel has generated $259 million domestically and $574 million worldwide.
Disney’s Pixar sequel “Inside Out 2” landed at No. 3 with $12.7 million from 3,625 locations in its sixth weekend in theaters. The follow-up film is just short of clearing the $600 million mark in North America with ticket sales at $596.4 million. Globally, it’s the second-highest-grossing animated film in history with $1.443 billion and will soon surpass “Frozen 2” ($1.45 billion) to claim the top spot.
Neon’s breakout horror hit “Longlegs” took fourth place in North America, adding a solid $11.7 million from 2,850 theaters in its sophomore outing. Revenues declined just 48% from its opening weekend, which is impressive for the horror genre. The low-budget “Longlegs” has grossed $44.6 million to date.
Paramount’s “A Quiet Place: Day One” rounded out the top five with $6.1 million from 2,913 venues. After four weeks on the big screen, the nearly silent sci-fi thriller has earned $127.6 million Stateside. By comparison, the two prior installments in the franchise, 2018’s “A Quiet Place” and 2021’s “A Quiet Place Part II” tapped out domestically with $188 million and $160 million, respectively. The prequel has generated $240 million worldwide.

If you want me to add anything specific to the OP or refine it in a particular way I'm happy to do so and open to suggestions. :)

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Things are looking up for the box office. It was never going to match the heights of last year's Barbenheimer phenomenon, but 'Twisters' being the best performing opening of a disaster movie and 'Longlegs' doing $28m in a weekend as an indie horror film is good news.

I am going to see 'Longlegs' tomorrow and 'Deadpool & Wolverine' next Monday.

Stitch

Gold Member
Yes, give me more Disaster movies. Volcano 2, Dantes Peak 2, Armageddon 2, Mars Attacks 2, The Core 2

Do it Hollywood
I love memberberries

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm tempted to go see Twisters while waiting for the release of Alien Romulus for which I have high hopes. Don't disappoint Ridley.

Sonik

Have you seen The Impossible (2012)? Might be my favourite disaster film of all time.

I squirm every time I remember the scene during the tsunami where the characters were hitting all kinds of debris as the water was pushing them like ragdolls

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is Fly me to the Moon that scarjo/tatum romcom where they are faking the moon landing? Damn, I wanna see that. Deadpool 3 next weekend, right? Wonder if it can crack 100 mill opening weekend.

clarky

Gold Member
Have you seen The Impossible (2012)? Might be my favourite disaster film of all time.
But that's a true story?

When I think disaster flick I think of shit like 2012, Moon Crash or the Day After Tomorrow, not a harrowing account of a true event lol.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Nice work. Good to see the thread back hopefully its a regular thing. Much appreciated.
That's why I tried to get Mana to create it, so he'd be stuck making these threads every weekend :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thanks for the gold, you didn't have to.

But that's a true story?

When i think disaster flick i think of shit like 2012 or the Day After Tomorrow, not a harrowing account of a true event lol.
Yeah it's based on a true story, it's not exactly supposed to be fun. It's an incredible disaster film for what it's worth, but more of a drama than a spectacle.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah it's based on a true story, it's not exactly supposed to be fun. It's an incredible disaster film for what it's worth, but more of a drama than a spectacle.
Yeah its a decent film and a fair account, I was in Krabi just after the event ( a few weeks), absolutely devastated the area. Unbelievable the destructive power of nature.

I prefer my disasters a little lighter if you get what I mean.

near

Gold Member
Yeah its a decent film and a fair account, I was in Krabi just after the event ( a few weeks), absolutely devastated the area. Unbelievable the destructive power of nature.

I prefer my disasters a little lighter if you get what I mean.
To be fair I'm surprised it didn't have a higher PG rating. It wasn't consistently dark tonally, but it was severe in intense scenes with a fair bit of gore if I recall. I wonder how dark Twisters is, it's an Amblin production so I can't imagine that they'd stretch the certification to far.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember seeing the original Twister very well. But not the movie. I dont even remember the plot.

But I remember coming out of the theatre going down the stairs/escalator. The theatre isnt there anymore, but it was weird where you bought tix at street level booths, but all theatre rooms were on the second floor. The movie is over and everyone floods out of the packed room and I saw a bunch of old high school people I knew so we caught up for 5 mins.

Funny how in an incident like that, I remember that part and nothing about the movie. lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know if i liked the new twister. weird to see it rack up $82 million because i saw it on a saturday evening and the theater had 6 people in it. figured it had flopped.

the movie itself is good fun but i kept comparing it to the old 90s movie because that movie is just so much better. its more fun, less reliant on cg, and simply has better characters.

still, as far as new action movies go, this was fairly competent. had some good setpieces, and the leads were attractive which is a big win in the current woke hollywood climate where every female lead has to be a fugly fat girl. that said, Im not sure if making this chick a downer for 90% of the movie was a good idea. i think hollywood has turned too much into melodrama. the 90s were perfect. yes, you had drama and characters went through some shit, but the movie still made those characters have a little fun. or have characters around them have a little fun. bill paxton and helen hunt were literally arguing about their failed marriage and it was more fun than this.

p.s they had a rodeo show in the middle of the movie to try and capture the southern demographic like yellowstone has done, but man i still prefer the breakfast scene from the first movie. you dont need cowboys and bulls to sell the south. that southern breakfast mesmerized me as a child.

YCoCg

Both Inside Out 2 and Despicable Me 4 are doing great, are we going to see an animated movie resurgence from this?

near

Gold Member
I would like the see film budgets so I know when they are profitable.
If I could source the figures directly from Box Office Mojo or The Numbers I would add them in. They use to include them on BOM, but it seems like it might be behind a paywall now, or they just stopped including them. Budgets are sporadically reported on by media outlets, and they aren’t consistent with them. Like MaXXXine for example hasn’t been reported on or estimated by any outlet. If you have a solution for this or insight on where I can find the data I will gladly include them.

thefool

Look at all those terrible movies

bird+box+8.png

LOOK AT IT

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
If I could source the figures directly from Box Office Mojo or The Numbers I would add them in. They use to include them on BOM, but it seems like it might be behind a paywall now, or they just stopped including them. Budgets are sporadically reported on by media outlets, and they aren’t consistent with them. Like MaXXXine for example hasn’t been reported on or estimated by any outlet. If you have a solution for this or insight on where I can find the data I will gladly include them.
No solutions here only problems.

Call the studios and ask them how much they spent.

drganon

This is reminding me I haven't been to a movie theater in forever. Doesn't help my local theater is closing down so I gotta go to the next town over.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The original Twister is one of the most tightly plotted and well executed movies of the 90s, and I think it probably stayed with a lot more people over the years than most would expect. Not surprised to see the sequel doing this well.

near

Gold Member

Deadpool & Wolverine opens this weekend and the predictions are looking strong.

"
The current range for domestic on the new Deadpool movie directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman is $160M-$170M, destined to be the biggest R-rated opening of all time, unseating the original Deadpool‘s $132.4M. Worldwide stands at $340M-$360M off an offshore start of $180M-$190M.

Tracking is off the charts in all sectors for Deadpool & Wolverine, but the statistical prognostication problem for many MCU movies destined for a $100M+ opening is how high they go beyond that point, as the sampling for movies opening to the century mark is quite small. While Twisters‘ $81.2M opening saw 40% of its ticket sales driven by premium and Imax ticket sales, Deadpool & Wolverine is taking them all away for a three-week hold. Twisters in weekend 2 is looking at a -55% hold (around $36M-plus); the pic made $9M on Monday for a running total of $90.3M.

Even if Deadpool & Wolverine settles at the bottom of its U.S.-Canada opening projections, that’s not a number that should be spat on as it’s above this year’s best start of Inside Out 2 ($154.2M) and around the vicinity of Barbie ($162M). Only 17 movies have opened to north of $170M at the domestic box office — all of them are PG-13, 15 of them are Disney titles and 10 of them are MCU. So, for an R-rated movie to crack that echelon is pretty impressive.

The top five stateside debuts at the domestic B.O. are Spider-Man: No Way Home ($260.1M), Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ($187.4M), Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ($181.3M), Barbie ($162M) and Inside Out 2 ($154.2M).
"

Deadline

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder how many folks think Deadpool is just gonna be another MCU level film and are taking their kids. I think the marketing is doing it's best to disabuse folks of this notion, but I wonder just how vulgar it will be (I feel like DP2 was significantly less crude than DP1). If it does introduce things that are critical to future MCU films and is therefore "essential viewing" to some extent will Disney make a censored version for D+?

near

Gold Member
I wonder how many folks think Deadpool is just gonna be another MCU level film and are taking their kids. I think the marketing is doing it's best to disabuse folks of this notion, but I wonder just how vulgar it will be (I feel like DP2 was significantly less crude than DP1). If it does introduce things that are critical to future MCU films and is therefore "essential viewing" to some extent will Disney make a censored version for D+?
Well according to IMDB’s Parent Guide (I’d be mindful of reading it due to spoilers) it doesn't seem too bad, but then again some parents might find it's content too mature of there kids.

Summary:

Sex & Nudity - Mild
Violence & Gore - Severe
Profanity - Severe
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking - Moderate
Frightening & Intense Scenes - Severe

There was a part I didn't include from the Deadline article, Ryan Reynolds took he's 9yr old to see it:

"the other unknown factor in terms of overperformance is how many parents bring their kids. Reynolds himself told the New York Times, “My 9-year-old watched the movie with me and my mom, who’s in her late 70s, and it was just one of the best moments of this whole experience for me.” While Deadpool & Wolverine is violent, it’s arguably not as violent as previous chapters."

The original Twister is one of the most tightly plotted and well executed movies of the 90s, and I think it probably stayed with a lot more people over the years than most would expect. Not surprised to see the sequel doing this well.

I saw this movie and man is this movie just BLAND. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it. I was just bored throughout

Top Bottom