• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welsh farmer creates world's hottest chili: 2.48M Scoville, might kill you if eaten

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/welsh-farmer-accidentally-creates-worlds-hottest-chili/

The previous record-holder for hottest chili in the world, the ominous-sounding Carolina Reaper, has had to officially move aside to make way for the aptly monikered Dragon’s Breath chili – a chili so hot no one has actually eaten it yet, for fear it could kill you. How? By literally burning your airways, as if you were breathing fire.

The chili was, however, grown in collaboration with scientists from Nottingham Trent University, who are interested in the medicinal use of chilis as an anesthetic. It was they who verified that the Dragon’s Breath scored the highest rating ever recorded on the Scoville heat scale, 2.48 million, beating the rival Reaper, which measures 2.2 million.

The scientists believe that if you tried to actually eat this chili, your airways would likely close up from the burn and you’d go into anaphylactic shock and die. However, that doesn’t mean it isn’t a force for good, not evil.

The capsaicin oil from it is so potent it numbs the skin, giving it excellent potential as an anesthetic, especially for those allergic to painkillers, or even for use in developing countries where access to and funding for anesthetics is limited.

cc8kO0f.jpg

That sounds nuts. Well, at least there are good medicinal uses for it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That sounds pretty cool, if scary.

I imagine you could probably make a hot sauce from that chili that's more manageable, instead of just eating the whole damn thing.

RefigeKru

Banned
The capsaicin oil from it is so potent it numbs the skin, giving it excellent potential as an anesthetic, especially for those allergic to painkillers, or even for use in developing countries where access to and funding for anesthetics is limited.

This is dope.

one time i interviewed one of the guys from defcon sauces

apparently you can get capsaicin in its pure crystal form, something around 16 million scoville

have to basically be in hazmat gear to even be around it

Even if you survive you're going to wish you died twice. Once after eating it and again several hours later in the bathroom.

Mupod

my boss grows chili peppers and gave me a carolina reaper. I used just that in a giant pot of chili and it was still pretty damn hot. Good though.

Somnid

I've seen dudes down pure capsaicin on Youtube. It's not going to kill you unless you have bad asthma or something. I doubt you could even tell the difference between it and a reaper.

Nepenthe

I mean, that thing is so small you could probably just swallow it whole.

But what would happen once you started digesting it? D8

dankir

Oh man I love watching hot chili eating videos. Can't wait for the flood of youtubers to try this out.

Hot Ones S3 ending special or something with Chili Claus?

Tagyhag

I really hope people don't try to eat it for Youtube views, but you know they will.

The anesthetic uses sound super cool though. Especially for third world countries. Nature and science kicking ass.

PizzaFace

Banned
Impressive.

Why would this kill you though? The Carolina Reaper isn't seen as particularly dangerous and that's only 400,000 less on the scale

Top Bottom