• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welsh farmer creates world's hottest chili: 2.48M Scoville, might kill you if eaten

It says right there, it will numb your butt.

you wont be able to feel anything that happens to it afterwards!

anigif_enhanced-9839-1411067466-16.gif

zerotol

Banned
I'm picturing a pepper under a protective glass jar, glowing slightly, with the potential to explode with the slightest touch.

Lol. From my understanding, when they create these new strains, they have to grow them for X amount of generations before the plant consistently produces the same traits. Once it is considered stable, it can be submitted to Guinness for scoville testing. Ed created the Carolina Reaper so I'd trust his claim on his newest one.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This is why I hate IFLscience. The scoville chart is a marketing engine, not a scientifically derived unit of anything consistently measurable. Grats on the welsh farmer for winning a game were the rules are completely subjective and the prize is 15 minutes of fame.

Zubz

Banned
I mean, if I had anything to counter the anaphylactic shock, I'd be all over trying this.

... And then never want anything spicy again.

Kinyou

The scientists believe that if you tried to actually eat this chili, your airways would likely close up from the burn and you'd go into anaphylactic shock and die. However, that doesn't mean it isn't a force for good, not evil.
I have an idea for the next Hitman game....

lol, the nsfw scene later on would be even more fitting

Brakke

Banned
This is why I hate IFLscience. The scoville chart is a marketing engine, not a scientifically derived unit of anything consistently measurable. Grats on the welsh farmer for winning a game were the rules are completely subjective and the prize is 15 minutes of fame.

Right? Isn't the method for scoring a Scoville value based on someone eating the dang thing? How can you assign a Scoville value to something you can't (or claim you can't) even eat?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Hurt like crazy yes, but kill you? There are hotter sauces and pepper spray is 5 mill SHU without killing people. It's not really much more dangerous than the reaper.

It would be nice if it still has flavor. Scorpion peppers do.

Why would it be the case that spicy eaters can easily eat the Carolina Reaper but would "literally die" from eating this when there's a <10% difference in heat levels?

As someone who's eaten a Reaper, this is what I'm wondering. As another pointed out, people have taken drops of pure capsaicin and recovered, so is this just sensationalism?

Top Bottom