• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wendy's Close to Being No. 2 Restaurant in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040709/ap_on_bi_ge/burger_wars_1

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The burger wars aren't being fought with hamburgers, but with salads. Wendy's is neck-and-neck with rival Burger King, poised to take over as the nation's No. 2 restaurant chain behind McDonald's, analysts said Friday.

But its burgers aren't what put the company there. Analysts say the chain's salads and atmosphere attract adult fast-food eaters, a market not covered by McDonald's often kid-focused strategies.

Since introducing its Garden Sensations salads in 2002, Wendy's sales have been catching up to Burger King more quickly. The chain offers six specialty salads, ranging from Taco Supremo to Mandarin Chicken. Burger King's menu has just two — Fire-Grilled Garden and Caesar salads.

U.S. sales at Wendy's hamburger stores last year were about $7.3 billion, while Miami-based Burger King's had sales of about $7.9 billion during the same period, according to estimates by Technomic, a Chicago company that tracks food service industry trends.

But Peter Oakes, a restaurant analyst with Piper Jaffray, said his estimates showed Wendy's and Burger King in a dead heat for 2003 sales — at $7.3 billion each.

WOO! Go Wendys! Go Wendys!

family_food.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't Wendy's' popular resurgence fuled by the death of Dave Thomas?

Pretty ironic, but perhaps he would have grinned at the notion.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I have to drive 10 mins to the nearest Wendy's and I eat there at least 3x a week. Their 99 cent menu is unbeatable, and their ceasar side salad is great. On the other hand, I live across the street from Burger King and I never eat there. I'd rather order take-out delivered to me than eat at Burger King.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If American Burger Kings had Double Bacon Cheeseburgers like the European ones do, I'd eat there often, as I practically lived on those burgers during my 6 weeks abroad last summer. As it stands, I prefer the chicken stuff that Wendy's has.

Manders

Banned
scola said:
Wasn't Wendy's' popular resurgence fuled by the death of Dave Thomas?

Pretty ironic, but perhaps he would have grinned at the notion.

No, it was because of the 99 cent menu.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fifty said:
Wendy's rocks. There's something about that meat....something...unnaturally tasty.
It's made out of people! People!

MASB

Dave would be proud. Though I must say Wendy's commercials kind of suck without him. I don't think they ever did that 'tribute' commercial to Dave they said they were going to do.

DJ_Tet

Banned
MASB said:
Dave would be proud. Though I must say Wendy's commercials kind of suck without him. I don't think they ever did that 'tribute' commercial to Dave they said they were going to do.

"Unofficially"

Why did Wendy's decide to put that shite sauce over their chicken sandwiches? I've stopped ordering any of their chicken products except for the nuggets. That sauce is terrible.

Their white meat nuggets rock! And for only 99 cents! I've liked McDonalds nuggets since I was a kid, but prices for those little pieces of fat have gone up. It's roughly 3.70 for 9 piece nuggets! What a ripoff. The Jr. Bacon cheeseburgers at Wendys are so freaking tasty. The bacon is much better than the bacon you find at Carls Jr. and other establishments. The meat has a very light salt taste I dig. The Jr. Bacon is a burger with quality ingredients. Mcdonalds 99cent double cheeseburger? BARF. It's a mound of grease.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I love the Double Cheeseburger and the All-White nuggets at McD's. To each his own though. I also love the Jr. Bacon and Wendy's nuggets, although they aren't quite the dominant choice that they once were to me.

I still like the McNuggets at McD's, but again I find them too expensive. And I used to get the double cheeseburger but not anymore. The bread on those burgers is spongy and tends to soak up the yellow/orange grease from the fried patties real good. Not that it truly matters as it all goes to the same place, but it didn't do much for me. I do, however, love the 99cent McChicken sandwiches from McDonalds.

etiolate

Banned
Calrs Jrs > Wendys > BK > McD.

Have some taste America if you insist on fastfood!

Only old people eat at Wendys. They get a free shake for not being dead yet.

DJ_Tet

Banned
etiolate said:
Calrs Jrs > Wendys > BK > McD.

Have some taste America if you insist on fastfood!

Only old people eat at Wendys. They get a free shake for not being dead yet.

Not everywhere has Carls Jr, and on the east coast they are called Hardees. If you like paying 7-8 dollars for a combo, and don't want to eat the fries, Hardees is the place to go. Their burgers are the shit, while the fries are shit. And the drink is pretty damn bad as well. Don't assume you live in Everywhere USA.

DJ_Tet

Banned
element said:
i dont like wendy's burgers :(

If you don't get Wendy's fresh, their burgers taste an awful lot like microwaved ghetto burgers your mom made without the bulk. In short, old Wendy's sucks ass. Luckily the Wendy's I frequent does a decent job of keeping their burgers fresh.

Pachinko

Last time I had wendy's it was really gross, the place was packed for the lunch rush and because of that rush the burgers were disgustingly greasy. Lately I've noticed the local wendy's are busier so since that crappy burger I've stayed away ... I went to dairy queen last week...

What's very surprising to me is that Burger King is actually number one. That's mindblowing to me. Even here in So Cal, it seems like Burger King is not as popular as Mc Donalds, Wendy's, Jack In The Box, Carl's Jr., KFC, Taco Bell, etc.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Error Macro said:
What's very surprising to me is that Burger King is actually number one. That's mindblowing to me. Even here in So Cal, it seems like Burger King is not as popular as Mc Donalds, Wendy's, Jack In The Box, Carl's Jr., KFC, Taco Bell, etc.

Huh? Everyone knows that McD's is No. one while Subway is No. 2 in restaurant locations.

DJ_Tet

Banned
etiolate said:
If I did I would have suggested In N Out. I know Carls Jrs = Hardees and its not that much a combo here. Hardees must rip you east coasters off.

I wouldn't say they rip us off, well in the last 10 years they have. Before that Hardees was the shit. I blame Carls Jr! In N Out had a franchise in Charlotte NC but it didn't do that well.

Do the west coasters have Back Yard Burgers? That's what killed the In N Out in Charlotte.

BYB is freaking awesome, and so is Flamers, although Flamers was only in malls.

DJ_Tet said:
Huh? Everyone knows that McD's is No. one while Subway is No. 2 in restaurant locations.

Ok, yeah, it's late and I didn't read that bit in the first post properly. Wait, Subway? No way.

toohectic

I just don't understand how McDonalds is #1. McD's is just plain terrible. The burgers are small, expensive, and they aren't even good. You can pickup at better burger from other places for 99 cents. Does McD's stay #1 simply becuase they have a ton of establishments? Or is it becuase little kids like it? or what? I don't get it. No one I know prefers McD's to any of the other quality fast food burger places.

As far as I'm concerned, Jack-In-The-Box and In-N-Out are number one by far, followed by Wendy's and BK. Carl's Jr is usually a dissappointment; their fries are terrible and the cheese on the burgers is never melted. McD's is dead last. The only respectable thing they have is their fries, but even then, they are usually over salted.

Realize I'm making my judgements according to the resturants in my area and other areas I frequent often. I'm sure there are a few kick-ass McDonalds or Carl's Jrs around somewhere, but they sure aren't common. Jack-in-the-Box's and In-N-Out's quality seems to be pretty consistent. Carl's and McDonalds just needs some new management to revive their respective chains.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Error Macro said:
Ok, yeah, it's late and I didn't read that bit in the first post properly. Wait, Subway? No way.

Well Subways was no.2 when I was in HS, like 10 years ago. I'd bet they are still no. 2 in restarurant locations. Personally I like McD's and Jack in the Box , and Wendys better overall, and BYB and Flamers and others as well. Restaurant locations place Subway right behind McDs though.

DJ_Tet

Banned
WasabiKing said:
Oh my, spicy chicken sandwich rocks. I love Wendy's, but sadly, none of my local Wendy's are open late. :(

I used to think the same way you thought. Be thankful if your Wendy's hasn't corrupted your Spicy Chicken with the barf sauce like mine has :(

Docpan

Wendy's sucks a cock too. Chick Fil A is the only fast food I enjoy. Subway too if you count that as fast food.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Chic Fil A and Sonic are both the bomb. Chic Fil A has the disadvantage of not being open on Sundays while Sonic just has the disadvantage of not being around. Perhaps in a few years it could be the new "Jack In The Box."

DJ_Tet

Banned
Docpan said:
Wendy's sucks a cock too. Chick Fil A is the only fast food I enjoy. Subway too if you count that as fast food.

What WOULD you consider Subway or any other sub place? A restaurant?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wendy's is fuckin damn good for fast food. Beats the shit outta mcdonalds. Too bad I gave up fast food nearly a year ago....it just doesn't fit into my healthy diet.

DJ_Tet said:
I used to think the same way you thought. Be thankful if your Wendy's hasn't corrupted your Spicy Chicken with the barf sauce like mine has :(

You can always request for them not to put sauce on it... Mine is supposed to come with mayo, but I tell them not to add it in anyway.

Joe

wendy's is fantastic! 2 jbc's, biggie fries, biggie coke for 5 bucks! you just cant beat that. dip the burger in their drool-worthy barbeque sauce and im in heaven.

and whats with fast food places putting mustard on hamburgers? im in new york and they dont do that and every time im out of state they put that crap on there. BOOO MUSTARD!

Mustard rocks! Is no mustard an American thing? I know when I used to go to Tiger Stadium back in the day they'd put mustard on everything. Pretzels, hot dogs, sausage, the works!

In my book, my three favorites...

1) Sonic
2) Chick-fil-a
3) Wendy's

These are the only three fast food joints I visit. Sonic for my daily Cherry Limeade fix (ok, not daily, but it is getting really close) and a chicken sandwich or a chicken wrap. Chick-fil-a for all my other chicken sandwich needs. And Wendy's for regular burgers, chicken fingers, or frostys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom