• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Kayhan

Aww shit GAF, take it to the bank. It is over.

ww-logos.gif

It's weird how kid Ford and his family looked so Old Timey English. Isn't this in an alternate future?

Well, obviously they're not perfectly 1:1, otherwise they'd be a major anachronism. They're presented in a way that's supposed to be faithful to reality, but that's also at home in a park modeled after the late 1800s.

Brakke

Banned
The robots already have artificial intelligence. The idea that the difference between a soul and not is a slider is ridiculous. Dumb humans are still humans.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope we didn't just see Maeve getting true artificial intelligence...

I thought they all already had it, what they don't have is free will. I mean, the capabilities are clearly there, they just need to break free from their programming. What with the reveries and the improv being a big part of them.

Because they're saving the confrontation for the season's climax. Shows contrive to stall important plot points like this all the time. Stranger Things and GoT come to mind.
Sure, but we usually get contextual clues that the characters exist in the same time and acknowledge each other's existence.

Logan meeting MiB isn't really an important confrontation that needs to be saved for the season's climax. I'm not asking for a showdown here. Showing them walk past the cell where Logan is sitting would have been enough to put the theory to bed. Yet they're not even in the same town as him because of a convenient detour.

Ovid

Anyone else notice The Gunslinger from the 1973 film in this episode?

I thought that was a pretty cool nod to the film.

duckroll

Yeah two timelines is basically confirmed. I still think William=MiB would be silly.

But think about it from a storytelling perspective. If they are showing two time periods, what would be the main purpose of anchoring the past time period to William and Logan if they are unimportant to the grand scheme of things?

duckroll

I want to see more of his time as a cannibal cult leader.

Hell, if the double timeline thing is correct Dolores and William might even run into him.

30 years is a long time though. They said he was the rancher for 10 years, and a sheriff before that, and the cult leader before that. And that was all within the time Bernard was working at Westworld. Presumably he wasn't around 30 years ago, or he would have at least heard of Arnold. Also, he doesn't look that old. Unless he is really a host, then ignore everything I said!!!!

30 years is a long time though. They said he was the rancher for 10 years, and a sheriff before that, and the cult leader before that. And that was all within the time Bernard was working at Westworld. Presumably he wasn't around 30 years ago, or he would have at least heard of Arnold. Also, he doesn't look that old. Unless he is really a host, then ignore everything I said!!!!

Bernand did say he's been around the park forever.

Fuckery is afoot.

i don't get why so many people seem to like William. He's such a wet blanket, easily forgotten about without his inclusion in this episode. Hoping he actually does become the MiB so we can see him progress into something watchable.

teiresias

I'm about 20 minutes into the latest episode and Maeve is probably one of my favorite characters on television in a long time. Like in five years or so. Thandie Newton is amazing!!

While it is very nice to see the movie get referenced and easter egged, even maybe added to the show's cannon somewhat. It is highly unlikely that the events of the movie really play much into the history of the park in the show.

Movie Spoilers:
The last half of the movie is the brutal and systematic murder of the newcomers/guests by the hosts with maybe 1 or 2 guests surviving. No park, no matter how awesome, would survive killing off literally hundreds of the wealthiest people in the world

I.E. the references to the movie were probably just easter eggs and little to none of the history/cannon is going to actually be based on those events so the movie events aren't really in Williams time or any time of the show for that matter.

Makai

While it is very nice to see the movie get referenced and easter egged, even maybe added to the show's cannon somewhat. It is highly unlikely that the events of the movie really play much into the history of the park in the show.

Movie Spoilers:
The last half of the movie is the brutal and systematic murder of the newcomers/guests by the hosts with maybe 1 or 2 guests surviving. No park, no matter how awesome, would survive killing off literally hundreds of the wealthiest people in the world

I.E. the references to the movie were probably just easter eggs and little to none of the history/cannon is going to actually be based on those events so the movie events aren't really in Williams time or any time of the show for that matter.
Jurassic Park. I rest my case.

ElRenoRaven

Movie Spoilers:

Well you could handle that in a couple ways. 1. They replaced the dead with hosts. 2. They paid a fuck ton of money to families to keep it under wraps. The sequel to West World while awful actually used the 1 for it's plot. They were replacing people with bots in order to get power within governments.

I hope we didn't just see Maeve getting true artificial intelligence...

If all it took was swiping that characteristic/trait up on the tablet screen, why the fuck didn't those simps just quickly swipe down, thus taking her intellect to derp levels? I mean it's quite clear she's pretty wily ('cause she's already a "14"). Irked me a bit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been saying that the robots effectively already are sapient and are just being controlled through a series of mental blockages and suppression effects.

I'm trying to figure out how much of what we see of her sentence construction process on the tablet is grounded in what an actual "scripted" system would look like and how much it seems to actually reflect some kind of cognitive process. I'm not fully up on theory about how humans go about sentence construction

The most important part is that the hosts absolutely seem to have grasps of both abstract and concrete concepts that they are able to recognize and manipulate. If their ability to make connections is something they can "scale up" (this isn't as outrageous as it sounds...maybe. The brain is super fucking weird) I can see Maeve achieving "intelligence" very rapidly and entirely organically without it being unbelievable.

Like a dozen people died that no one would miss? I mean the kids were cute I guess but who in that group had high powered lawyers just waiting to sue?

In the WW movie:
You'd literally have the top 2 dozens law firms in the world tear WestWorld down brick by brick for the next 20 years with how many wealthy people were there

Well you could handle that in a couple ways. 1. They replaced the dead with hosts. 2. They paid a fuck ton of money to families to keep it under wraps. The sequel to West World while awful actually used the 1 for it's plot. They were replacing people with bots in order to get power within governments.

More movie spoilers:
The whole Management and operations staff of westworld died too, either to the hosts or to lack of oxygen (god that was a stupid twist, imagine Ford, Bernard and Theresa all dying to being stuck in an airtight room) so 1 seems impossible not to mention the fact that someone would notice once the lack of memories starts becoming obvious. Westworld functions by catering to the super rich, I highly doubt they could pay enough hush money to shut those families up as they could complain, seek civil and criminal charges and still get paid. I like the power within governments idea but that would be quiet, systematic. One or two newcomers getting replaced at a time, not like the movies mass murder spree. Hell maybe that is Delos plan hmm

If all it took was swiping that characteristic/trait up on the tablet screen, why the fuck didn't those simps just quickly swipe down, thus taking her intellect to derp levels? I mean it's quite clear she's pretty wily ('cause she's already a "14"). Irked me a bit.

She's already been messed with by someone with higher clearance(Arnold).

Even if they brought it down, who's to say it wouldn't reset the next time she shows up on the table like everything else they supposedly "fixed".

Robot Pants

Was Maeve at the Marquis when William and Logan were there? Do we ever see them on screen at the same time? Or has it only been Clementine?

Because they said Maeve had only been at the Marquis for about a year.

I guess she was in the "Indians come and scalp me" storyline at this time

The deaths included one low level worker (basically an industrial accident), 3 high-level employees, and InGen's lawyer. 5 deaths, one of which was likely stilly fully covered up decades later, one of which is a responsible party, none of which were guests, and all of this was a year before the park was even ready to be opened. Not exactly comparable. And even then it took like 20 years to get the park back on track.

Makai

Like a dozen people died that no one would miss? I mean the kids were cute I guess but who in that group had high powered lawyers just waiting to sue?

In the WW movie:
You'd literally have the top 2 dozens law firms in the world tear WestWorld down brick by brick for the next 20 years with how many wealthy people were there
How about this guy's law firm?

gennaro-1434022976.gif

ShodanMAN

Perhaps the reason why the two butchers are a little dense and over compliant is because their ''Bulk apperception'' is only set to 7 ;)

golem

Also I've never thought Bernard was a host but this episode contained the first piece of evidence that might convince me: Ford's miraculous appearance during the scene in the house.

We're just meant to believe that Ford just happens to be there and Bernard doesn't notice him standing in the corner? If I thought Bernard was a host I'd read that scene as the entire scene freezing once the dad figure shoves Bernard against the wall as some sort of "security procedure" until Ford can arrive, and Bernard's consciousness "skips" the time, since he's on pause

Just saw that sequence laid out on reddit, definitely seems very suspect. http://imgur.com/gallery/0MJUS

Top Bottom