• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

ZOONAMI

KahooTs

That episode makes me doubt the quality of writing. They'd done enough with the first medico to make it plausible enough that Maeve could lead him about, they could have just left it with him and not thrown the second guy into the mix.

Appleman

How it was presented in ep 7 was sloppy as fuck and it isn't nitpicking. The acting of these 2 techs is also fucking shit tier. We'll see if episode 8 actually does have an answer.

Everything about the white tech guy is borderline ruining the show for me. Guy's acting is awful and the writing for all of the scenes with him is all over the place. Really surprised that stuff made it to the screen considering how great some of the other performances are

jackdoe

How it was presented in ep 7 was sloppy as fuck and it isn't nitpicking. The acting of these 2 techs is also fucking shit tier. We'll see if episode 8 actually does have an answer.
Episode 7? We're only on episode 6. But yeah, we'll have to wait until episode 8 to see if it was a sloppy mistake or a calculated decision.

Kayhan

ww1bmjwi.png

ww2i0j7h.png

Host punching mib reinforces hosts are more violent further out from Sweetwater.

Talk of soldiers, etc. increases liklihood of same war narrative, etc.

Mib and teddy literally retracing their path through cemetery.

Photo of Ford and Arnold not Arnold but photo of Ford and his father.

Relays being used to control hosts with voices, Dolores hearing voices suddenly, while in scenes with William.

Lack of electricity and flooding in lower levels confirms finaces aren't great and Logan actively looking to buy out Delos makes sense, also Ford's earlier comment that board reps are already in the park, to the bewilderment of Meredith.

Also this entire "1st generation" host thing makes zero sense, as the woodcutter guy was a gen 1 host and we're supposed to believe Bernard and Elsie never noticed that? It was some big revelation to Bernard that gen 1 hosts were active (Ford's family). What? After continued contact with Dolores, he never noticed either?

I am open to the timeline theory but I don't see why people keep saying 100% that's what's happening. Completely dismisses end of ep 3 and most damming Stubbs saying to pull Dolores, sheriff guy tries to pull her, william stops that from happening. Then they still don't pull her and she's on a weird solo quest on the train by herself? Chronologically well past wandering off the farm when they. noticed she was off loop?

I know the logos are potentially a big clue, and there are transitions that hint at it, but nothing is definitive there's an alt timeline happening, or that mib = william.

I don't see how the violence proves or disproves anything. No where in the show have they said that they increased or decreased the level of violence in the park outskirts. Some rules stay constant even over 3 decades.

Talk of soldiers but they always talk about Wyatt. A war storyline could always be a reoccurring storyline for guests who want something grander and epic in scale.

I'm not sure why them going through the cemetery disproves anything either way.

MiB could just as likely be the board rep that Ford was talking about. If not the only board rep who matters.

"Arnold" photo revelations doesn't prove anything in regards to the timeline.

I don't see how the voices couldn't have occurred in the past.

Deputy/Dolores scene has been discussed over and over. The woman who reported Dolores said it was unclear whether she was with a guest. Stubbs says to pull her, we cut to Dolores in the village either in present or past. Girl is at the fountain and tells her to "remember, remember, remember." Flashes of images and Dolores "remembers" back to when the girl isn't there and William shows up. We don't know if the deputy was sent my management or not. The sequence of scenes implies he was, but we don't know for sure. It's not really relevant that Dolores is still with William and not in the chopshop because we have seen scenes spliced out of order where she is being interrogated by Bernard when she should be with William.

I don't mind Felix, but the white guy is just awful. The constant swearing, the delivery, I hate it.

You'd think Teddy and Dolores would have noticed the camera crew and equipment needed for that wide tracking shot.

they are programmed to write things off if the thingies conflict with their in-game world stuffs

like the photograph that dolores' father showed her

ZOONAMI

I don't see how the violence proves or disproves anything. No where in the show have they said that they increased or decreased the level of violence in the park outskirts. Some rules stay constant even over 3 decades.

Talk of soldiers but they always talk about Wyatt. A war storyline could always be a reoccurring storyline for guests who want something grander and epic in scale.

I'm not sure why them going through the cemetery disproves anything either way.

MiB could just as likely be the board rep that Ford was talking about. If not the only board rep who matters.

"Arnold" photo revelations doesn't prove anything in regards to the timeline.

I don't see how the voices couldn't have occurred in the past.

Deputy/Dolores scene has been discussed over and over. The woman who reported Dolores said it was unclear whether she was with a guest. Stubbs says to pull her, we cut to Dolores in the village either in present or past. Girl is at the fountain and tells her to "remember, remember, remember." Flashes of images and Dolores "remembers" back to when the girl isn't there and William shows up. We don't know if the deputy was sent my management or not. The sequence of scenes implies he was, but we don't know for sure. It's not really relevant that Dolores is still with William and not in the chopshop because we have seen scenes spliced out of order where she is being interrogated by Bernard when she should be with William.

I don't mind Felix, but the white guy is just awful. The constant swearing, the delivery, I hate it.

The violence was used ad nauseam to prove the timeline theory when Logan was getting beat up.

War storyline seems present in both timeline so just pointing out, maybe it's the same timeline.

Cemetery scene was clearly set up like they were retracing Dolores footsteps. Mib doesn't actually know that they are but teddy thinks they are.

Mib is not a board rep imo based on his scene with Hopkins.

Arnold not being Arnold increases likelihood that Arnold isn't real, and was not directing Dolores in some past timeline. You're also completely ignoring my point about the relays discovered in this episode. Voices could have happened in the past but are a new development in the present timeline for both the hosts and behavior / mgmt, voices are very relevant to the current timeline and the obvious inference is that's what is happening to dolores, presently, and william heard her talking to herself.

The Stubbs pulling her if they explain that away is nothing more than a cheap trick and is complete shit from a narrative perspective. The comments about her being off loop were presented as right after she left the ranch. I don't see how they can conveniently explain away her progressing to the train in Paraih by herself, without william.

Kayhan

No Dolores and butchers with Intelligence setting=1 means this is probably my least favorite episode yet.

The super cliched horror movie behavior of Elsie didn't help.

The high point was definitely the scene with Maeve walking in the upper level.

Zabka

Wiping out an important host's mind completely in the midst of a collapse in the narrative would be a good way to get your ass fired. Going along with her ego trip was the safe play.

Kayhan

Oh and I hope the robot rebellion kills that pissing scenario writer dude first.

Seriously, write him off the show post haste. He better not make it to Season 2.

Christ, he is badly written and annoying.

Cemetery scene was clearly set up like they were retracing Dolores footsteps. Mib doesn't actually know that they are but teddy thinks they are.

Mib is not a board rep imo based on his scene with Hopkins.

Arnold not being Arnold increases likelihood that Arnold isn't real, and was not directing Dolores in some past timeline. You're also completely ignoring my point about the relays discovered in this episode. Voices could have happened in the past but are a new development in the present timeline for both the hosts and behavior / mgmt, voices are very relevant to the current timeline and the obvious inference is that's what is happening to dolores, presently, and william heard her talking to herself.

The Stubbs pulling her if they explain that away is nothing more than a cheap trick and is complete shit from a narrative perspective. The comments about her being off loop were presented as right after she left the ranch. I don't see how they can conveniently explain away her progressing to the train in Paraih by herself, without william.

They're tracking Wyatt. MiB and Teddy don't know that she's been that way.

MiB said the park was saved thanks to him. He's obviously influential enough to have Stubbs let him do anything he wants on the park.

Arnold's code is still real and doesn't need a relay to get inside their heads. Especially if it's in the past before any updates or wipes.

They don't have to explain away anything. Stubbs pulling her out doesn't preclude her from having flashbacks. Again, Bernard interrogates her several times when she should be with William. If they had her back, why wouldn't she be decommissioned instead of put back out with William.

The Mule

Oh and I hope the robot rebellion kills that pissing scenario writer dude first.

Seriously, write him off the show post haste. He better not make it to Season 2.

Badly written? Maybe.

But if he's intended to be an annoying character, what's wrong with that? A show is only interesting when there are characters you like, characters you hate, and characters that are somewhere in between both those ends of the spectrum.

Kayhan

God Tier actors/characters: Dr. Ford, MiB, Dolores, Bernard

Good Tier actors/characters: Maeve, Teddy, William, Elsie

Get off the show you fucking hacks Tier: the butchers, pissing writer guy, Danish lady security boss/spy?

Kayhan

Badly written? Maybe.

But if he's intended to be an annoying character, what's wrong with that? A show is only interesting when there are characters you like, characters you hate, and characters that are somewhere in between both those ends of the spectrum.

I think he is badly written and badly acted.

Logan is an annoying/douchey character too but I don't dislike the character or performance.

To be honest, he seems like the only person who actually belongs in that place: an over-entitled prick suit who thinks he's hot shit.

Come on, we all know that guy.
wait, why are you people looking at me?

Sullichin

Get off the show you fucking hacks Tier: the butchers, pissing writer guy, Danish lady security boss/spy?
Lol, I was going to write a very similar post but GAF crapped on me.
Although Bernard is quickly moving to shit tier for me honesty. Character is boring as fuck

Nev

Banned
Best episode so far. I loved that it was almost 100% park management stuff. It was so refreshing not having to see Dolores and William's shitty adventures.

I hope though that the thing going on with Maeve and the idiotic tech guys gets some proper development to make clear that they are okay with her becoming Shodan and she's not forcing them. Because if they're actually being forced then the show will automatically Lost tier. I mean the amount of possible ways and tools they have to stop her as soon as they want is not even worth listing. I hope they don't believe the viewers are stupid enough to think she's able to hold both guys hostage with some shitty scalpel and absurd threats.

I mean who the hell cares what she says? You can fucking shut her down with your tablet thing, just do it and do whatever you want with her AI. You can even destroy her if you want. God this subplot has the potential to destroy the whole show, I hope they don't fuck up.

What? "Danish lady" is one of the best characters, if anything she should get more time. Bernard has always the same facial expression and has the emotional range of a robot. Dolores is boring, though the actress is very good. MiB and Dr. Ford are the best characters and actors in the show but we could see that coming even before it aired.

Maeve is hands down better than Dolores and Bernard in every sense, Teddy and William are in no way in the same category as Elsie. They're boring as fuck and just okay actors. William is quite possibly the worst character in the show and his writing is pathetic.

PolishQ

A couple random reactions:

Except where characters could clash (Teddy and MiB meeting Logan, thereby disproving the two timeline theory) they conveniently don't. Teddy and MiB conveniently don't go to Pariah because it is too heavily guarded. Instead they go through a camp in the middle of nowhere. Pariah is coincidentally fully booked and they can't let anyone else in.

Because they're saving the confrontation for the season's climax. Shows contrive to stall important plot points like this all the time. Stranger Things and GoT come to mind.

I don't want to say dual timeline is 100% confirmed, and I get annoyed with people who discount the possibility that it might not be true, but I am increasingly on board that train. The logos are what really seal it for me. HBO is meticulous in their details, the use of the old logo in William's scene is nothing if not deliberate, and since then we have seen that logo consistently associated with the old park presumably before Delos bought it. It featuring so prominently on the old computer in this episode can't be a coincidence. Another detail is that Maeve has apparently only been madam of the saloon for a year, and back when William arrived sure enough he didn't see Maeve but rather Clementine who is said to have previously worked as the madam.

Regarding the bolded: back in episode 1 they go down to the abandoned sublevel 83 (cold storage) which is the first time to my knowledge that we see the old logo. On the same level we see a gigantic "Delos" globe in the middle of the lobby. My point is that Delos seems to have been around since day 1. Another way to put it is that Delos is the company that created Westworld; "Westworld" is not the name of a company and you can't have Westworld without a company in control of it.

Whether another company is trying to buy out Delos or already did at some point in the past is a different question.

Also this entire "1st generation" host thing makes zero sense, as the woodcutter guy was a gen 1 host and we're supposed to believe Bernard and Elsie never noticed that? It was some big revelation to Bernard that gen 1 hosts were active (Ford's family). What? After continued contact with Dolores, he never noticed either?

Bernard and Elsie are aware that 1st gen hosts are in the park (there's something like 80 of them). Bernard was surprised to learn that there were five 1st gen hosts in the park that weren't being tracked by the system.

cLOUDo

So about arnorld...

- Ford Grow up and gets into Androids's stuff
- At some early point he made Arnold and "disguises him" as an business's partner
- Arnold as a gift to his creator made a replica of his family
- He start to development "simpathy" towards the other androids and start to research how make them more humans
- "THE" accident happens and arnorld dissappear
- he is hidden in the park or in the facilities (probably he "kidnap" Elsie) and start to "upgrade" the other hosts.

I am missing something?

gun_haver

Best actor so far in the show ;

unnamed.png

It's enhanced by the score, and also the guy is lit in a way that really highlights his eyes and his expressions to make them very bold and intimidating. I've watched this particular scene a few times by now. There's a great sense of foreboding in it that I hope the show lives up to and I hope we see this actor again as well.

Just watched the latest episode tonight and it's probably the first time i've been bummed by the show. I've mentioned before that the only characters I feel attached to are Maeve, William and Ford. William's absence was noticeable and Maeve's storyline is getting pretty nonsensical with how far these techs are willing to go to help her out, as has been discussed in here. Looking forward to getting back to the park as nothing outside it has really grabbed me yet.

Also enjoying all the Radiohead.

n0razi

Do you think we will have robots as lifelike as in Westworld first in the near future or do you think VR (Oculus/PSVR/etc) will be good enough first where we won;t even need a Westworld?

Do you think we will have robots as lifelike as in Westworld first in the near future or do you think VR (Oculus/PSVR/etc) will be good enough first where we won;t even need a Westworld?

Westworld is a sci-fi show based on a movie from 1973 but I still think this tv show goes to show that VR is the real future of humanity.

The costs of building something like Westworld physically instead of virtually are so far apart that unless the science can't be done, we'll have VR that connects directly into our nervous system/brain stem before we build something like this.

Although I do think robotics will keep moving forwards as someone has to take all our jobs eventually

Elsie is just as bad as the butchers at times tbh. I know everybody in here got a crush on her but god damn she looks amateur opposite Wright. Throw her in the shit pile. Danish lady is better.

And Thandie Newton is better than either of them

Despite the odd disparities in casting/scene writing though I'm still really enjoying this show

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How it was presented in ep 6 was sloppy as fuck and it isn't nitpicking. The acting of these 2 techs is also fucking shit tier. We'll see if episode 8 actually does have an answer.

Well there's one thing that wasn't an issue for me: the reason they don't knock her out and wipe her memory is because these very events show that wiping her memory isn't sticking and she can wake up from sleep mode. As two clueless techs who don't actually know how to do anything more than move sliders around, they have no idea how to actually put her down

Hyun Sai

One of the reason Aliens (1986) works as a movie story, is because Cameron reversed that: the Colonial Marines are competent, they're just up against something way worse than they had expected. .

Nah, Aliens went just like the usual shonen : on idiot who only did simulation, one traitor and one super sayan Ripley at the end.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

We will have AI smart enough in our lifetimes. We will be able to print out replacement body parts within our lifetimes. Not sure how long it'll be until we can combine the two into a functioning human replica.

Kayhan

I doubt we will ever have robots that lifelike.

Top Bottom