• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think part of what makes this show not that intriguing to me is that the AI people just live in their own world. It's sectioned off from the rest of the world so the stakes seem a lot lower to me. If they start malfunctioning... that's bad and kind of interesting in a way but ... so what? I also think part of it also the fact that I couldn't really latch on to any character. Things were moving at a very fast pace in the pilot. I think I'll be happier next episode when I assume they'll start to slow things down.

I think it could, and likely will, get a lot more interesting but I just kept thinking there were no real stakes set up in the pilot.

Socreges

Banned
It's funny, that's the one thing I didn't like, I thought it was SUPER telegraphed.
Well, it was supposed to be "super telegraphed". The entire idea was to end the pilot with that oomph, no ambiguity. It communicates a lot in one moment, in one otherwise normal action, so I'm not sure what would have been preferable.

Memories are purged only at the end of story cycles. Story cycles per android end when they either die or the scenario plays out in such a way where it needs to be reset. The only characters who we follow in the episode to "reset" are Dolores and Teddy, and they only reset after they get killed or shut down after a scenario. It's not daily and it's not standardized across all androids.

OK, interesting. This was very unclear to me.

So, is there a fixed N-day-long script that runs over and over and over again? (Like, is the idea that outsiders buy a 'vacation' that lasts the duration of the script?) If so, do we know how long the script is?

Just re-watched the entire episode.

This is so good; it was even more compelling watching it again with more knowledge.

The final 12 minutes or so has some of the best acting I have seen in awhile; I don't care that some VFX was used to to enhance it. Remarkable.

HBO really, really needs to go the route of Netflix; I want to binge watch this so badly.

I don't think this show will continue to be in Westworld (is that the name of the town?), I have a feeling they will escape to the real world.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I guess one of the questions is if robotics is this advanced what is the rest of the world like and what happens if the Advances at Westworld were to go global

It won't. Which is why they have the next 5/6 seasons already planned out

I imagine they'll explore the extended consequnces of machines gaining sentience

I don't think this show will continue to be in Westwood, I have a feeling they will escape to the real world.

Yeah, I think the show will expand to outside of this world they have created... it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

golem

I was thinking the milk could be an allusion to the white, liquidy material that's used to 'manufacture' the hosts. Could also be a direct relationship in the host's mind as a consequence of the glitch.

Could also be nothing!

When it came pouring out of the bullet hole it reminded me of Bishop in Aliens

So, is there a fixed N-day-long script that runs over and over and over again? (Like, is the idea that outsiders buy a 'vacation' that lasts the duration of the script?) If so, do we know how long the script is?
We've seen some characters have one-day scripts. I imagine others may have longer ones though, and that perhaps guests who will be staying longer will be directed to those storylines. Plus, since guests can alter stories there can be a lot of variation even within the same presets.

They attempt to show you how this works with the guy asking visitors if they'd like to join a bounty hunt, or the girl at the bar who wants to have "a good time". They seem to continue idling until someone joins their story line. What is interesting is that they don't seem to care if they're asking a visitor or a host, they ask everyone. It seems hosts might always say no though.

JoeBoy101

I was thinking the milk could be an allusion to the white, liquidy material that's used to 'manufacture' the hosts. Could also be a direct relationship in the host's mind as a consequence of the glitch.

Could also be nothing!

I took the milk part being that when he was killed the first time at the beginning, it was with the other bandit who poured out milk on the dead Father. He was emulating what he had seen before, or more on point, his 'reverie' was accessing that memory.

SkyOdin

I'll have to watch the episode again but towards the end, I thought he says something about wanting to go deeper and find out what's behind all of this or whatever. I just figured something like that would be a flashing red alarm for the people behind the scenes if they heard what he was saying or what he was after. Sounds like he would be doing stuff that could mess with everything they have going on there and I would be surprised if they were okay with that. Of course, this is all assuming that they can hear what he's saying/doing while he's there which I imagine they can. It sure looked that way, anyway.

What he said was that he was looking for the "deeper game". That doesn't sound like he is breaking the rules so much as that he is on a treasure hunt of sorts that the creators of the theme park have hidden within it. Alternatively, he may be just trying to get a deeper understanding of how the hosts work to get more enjoyment out of the experience, or what he is after has something to do with what the heads of the staff were talking about: a hidden purpose for the park as the managers see it. No matter what though, he sounds like a thrill-seeker more than anything, and his actions probably fit somewhere within the intended goals of the owners of Westworld.

matthieuC

Anyone else notice how the saloon music was a modern day song? Just like the melody of it was playing in the piano. Can't think of the name of it though.

Socreges

Banned
I took the milk part being that when he was killed the first time at the beginning, it was with the other bandit who poured out milk on the dead Father. He was emulating what he had seen before, or more on point, his 'reverie' was accessing that memory.
Absolutely. I just think they may have chosen milk to be the 'thing' for the reason I mentioned.

JB1981

So guys, I loved the first episode but I have a question:

Are they in a Matrix world? Or is it real? They say the guests cannot be killed so guns don't hurt them but hurt the robots. How can this be if not a Matrix world? But then they have the robots in the room just like in the Westworld, I'm confused. Can anyone explain?

It is a physical environment

If it wasn't a physical environment, why would they care what the hosts are doing since they could not hurt them.

Brakke

Banned
So guys, I loved the first episode but I have a question:

Are they in a Matrix world? Or is it real? They say the guests cannot be killed so guns don't hurt them but hurt the robots. How can this be if not a Matrix world? But then they have the robots in the room just like in the Westworld, I'm confused. Can anyone explain?

It's as real as anything. Why else would the staff be worried about the potential for a person to get hurt?

So how exactly do they get in the world?

They ride a train, duh.

duckroll

I guess one of the questions is if robotics is this advanced what is the rest of the world like and what happens if the Advances at Westworld were to go global

Ford mentions that they have already cured all illnesses and can prolong life. This is some far future shit. Westworld might not even be on Earth.

ElRenoRaven

You will notice too that when he drinks the milk it starts pouring out of a bullet in his abdomen. Seems like he was "killed" and instead of dying went on the rampage which would explain why the Guests were so horrified in a corner

Yup. So yea it was clear he should have "Died" yet did not. Instead he went psycho and killed the gang traumatizing the couple in the corner.

Kaizer

Banned
Just got finished watching the premiere- absolutely loved every minute of it. Deeply fascinating & I can't wait to see where it goes, especially considering they already have some grand 5-season plus plan for it. I always love these type of A.I. related sci-if stories, it's one of the main reasons Ghost in the Shell is my favorite anime.

DeviantBoi

Loved the episode! Will continue to watch!

Makes me sad about a Michael Crichton all over again. He left us too soon.

I think part of what makes this show not that intriguing to me is that the AI people just live in their own world.

That's not true, they exist physically in the real world.

They are sectioned off, of course, but they could theoretically influence events outside of their habitat.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm re-watching it, and the british guy says something about getting the bank robbers to show up a week earlier?

So I guess their story doesn't just reset every 24 hours then?

I'm re-watching it, and the british guy says something about getting the bank robbers to show up a week earlier?

So I guess their story doesn't just reset every 24 hours then?
The shoot out is a "special event" that doesn't happen everyday.

Didn't really grab me. I want to see what Ed Harris is up to and I want to watch the robots become self aware and go berserk, but the whole Teddy/Dolores plot took up a lot of time and didn't interest me at all.

Ford mentions that they have already cured all illnesses and can prolong life. This is some far future shit. Westworld might not even be on Earth.
I hadn't even considered that.

Actually I was just wondering if machines like this are used in everyday life. What has happened to jobs and industries if this level of tech exists? Do people see lesser quality "hosts" doing construction work and teaching in schools? Or is the corporation keeping their tech confined to Westworld? The outside world and public at large clearly known about this tech if there are shareholders

That could be an interesting angle not explored in the movie

duckroll

I hadn't even considered that.

Actually I was just wondering if machines like this are used in everyday life. What has happened to jobs and industries if this level of tech exists? Do people see lesser quality "hosts" doing construction work and teaching in schools? Or is the corporation keeping their tech confined to Westworld?

That could be an interesting angle not explored in the movie

I don't think it would be realistic to consider that they are keeping the tech confined just to Westworld. Firstly, it would be bad business since you can make so much more by diversifying the tech into other industries, secondly the uber-rich theme park industry seems like a pretty limited market. It can't cost millions to get to Westworld, since they seem to a healthy volume of guests and have been running for over 30 years at least. Yet the upkeep must still got a fortune.

If there is a big corporate angle for further leveraging the tech of Westworld, I don't think it would be as workers, I think that already happens in the real world probably. It would probably be something morally dubious but far reaching.... like immortality.

Arkeband

Banned
That first episode felt as well produced and as encapsulated as a full length movie. I was enthralled the entire time.

hokahey

Really enjoyed it, but how the hell do they repair the robots so quickly?

Ed Harris is definitely human, and is learning what Anthony Hopkins has hidden deeper in the game.

Rixxan

Id pay good money for a gif of dolores at the end when asked, "Tell me about your world."

The transition from stone dead expression to radiant joy is pretty striking, love that moment

Brakke

Banned
It's pretty obvious the android tech isn't constrained to Westworld. If I wanted to rape the heck out of an android, why would I only ever want to do it while wearing spurs?

Really enjoyed it, but how the hell do they repair the robots so quickly?

They dip 'em in white goop.

Top Bottom