• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

MoeDabs

No it isn't. Why can't there be 2 logos? Lol. They don't have to remove all the old logos in the park. The end of ep 3 is way stronger evidence that it the same timeline than an old logo being in the park/lounge entrance area of the park.

They changed the logo in post. Why would they do that if it wasn't important?

Burt

The real series twist -- the NEXT logo:

weyland_yutani_corp_by_weylandyutaniassoc-d5608mc.png

series finale shot is Ash coming out of the milk dip

Fluvian

Banned
Checked out the new episode, I won't engage in spoiler talk and theories for another day so everyone can see it.

Theres some stuff in this episode that supports some theories, and some stuff that throws a cog into one or two, good episode for advancing the plot and developing certain characters.

UberLevi

Saw this last night but never gave impressions. I thought young Hopkins was really cool. Interesting to see the old Westworld labs as well. I felt like most of this episode was plot advancing and it felt really expository. Wasn't the best episode shown so far but it certainly fast-tracks the plot to new places. Interested to see where the Arnold subplot goes. I still think William's story is taking place in a prior timeline, but I think we'll find out definitively in the next couple of episodes whether or not that's false. Interested in the cultist hosts who Teddy couldn't kill. They do mention Wyatt's men not feeling pain, so they could just be programmed to disregard damage until killed. I wonder what Teddy's final death count will be by the end of this show.

One final note, Elsie mentioned the hosts having 'anchors' that keep them grounded in their world and it feels like a similar concept to the constants in LOST and how they help a person remember a separate timeline in their life.

ZOONAMI

The old logo appearing in a distinct flashback isn't strong evidence, especially when the same logo appeared in the long abandoned facilities used as cold storage?

The old logo is a distinct element that has only been present in plot points dealing with older times in the park.

I just don't see why there can't be an old logo in the entrance area of the park.

For example, you occassionally still see the original disney world logo on promo material, merchandise, events in the park, and I bet you can even find it stamped in some places in the park if you look for it.

image_wdwlogo1971_1.png

You know...we didn't actually see Teddy "die". He was surrounded and taken down, but we don't see him killed. They probably keep him alive because of his history with Wyatt

Dang, I had a theory
that Ed Harris was is the 30 year later Jimmi Simpson. Guess not, since Delores had a weird glitch and remembered Ed Harris in the barn. Unless it wasn't remembering and the AI's operate outside of time and causality which would be too fucked to comprehend.

ZOONAMI

They changed the logo in post. Why would they do that if it wasn't important?

You don't know that they changed it in post, they may have just slapped the new logo on the thumbnail because thats the logo they are using to market the show in real life, and it wouldn't show up as well in the thumbnail.

If they did change it in post its likely a red herring designed to get people to speculate. Logically the end of ep 3 should have ended that speculation, but I guess not.

MoeDabs

I just don't see why there can't be an old logo in the entrance area of the park.

For example, you occassionally still see the original disney world logo on promo material, merchandise, events in the park, and I bet you can even find it stamped in some places in the park if you look for it.

image_wdwlogo1971_1.png

If your argument is "because Disneyland", then it is a poor one. The show has only shown the old logo when dealing with old parts of the park. Plus they actually changed the logo in post production based on that thumbnail of ep.2. But it's totally just old logos and the show is going out of its way to be misleading about this aspect right?

I'm not positive about any theory but your constant downplaying is amusing.

ZOONAMI

If your argument is "because Disneyland", then it is a poor one. The show has only shown the old logo when dealing with old parts of the park. Plus they actually changed the logo in post production based on that thumbnail of ep.2. But it's totally just old logos and the show is going out of its way to be misleading about this aspect right?

It's a red herring or a production gaff where they filmed the scene with the old logo and then realized for the thumbnail that was the wrong logo and slapped the new one in the thumbnail. Or legit they just like having more than one logo around, as in who cares if there is more than one logo on the sets. It might even be the old logo was going to be the main logo but then their marketing team wanted a different one for using in promo materials and they didn't refilm scenes after the logo change. It might actually be the old logo in real life lol.

The end of this episode pretty much confirms its the same timeline. There's a chance its not but I think it would make no sense and just confuse anyone who is watching the show somewhat casually. The william scenes don't seem like flashbacks because they aren't. It's a pretty big leap to make based on a logo and the end of this episode confirms to me anyway it isn't some kind of flashback and is concurrent with the the Delores Bernard timeline.

And people holding onto the timeline theory are completely downplaying the end of ep 3. I'm not saying there isn't a chance its still an alt timeline but I think it's highly unlikely, and people keep saying "the logos" are pretty much conclusive that it's a different timeline. Im saying they aren't really conclusive of anything based on the above.

Also, Talulah Riley was in an actual flashback scene from ep 3 learning how to dance, and the same actress/host greats william in a completely different role, so this also points at least to william likely not being mib. Doesn't rule out a different timeline but adds to the growing pile of evidence it isn't. This also means that host is nearly as old as Delores if the entrance area is the same timeline as Bernard Delores timeline. This could also point to an alt timeline though lol, as it would appear she would be one of the oldest hosts in the park, although it's very difficult to say if it was just sort of a cameo/ or if not all of the hosts who were learning to be hosts were activated for service in the park at the same time. Or if the entrance area is considered "the park" or not. Lol there is a lot to think about with this show.

Also delores and mib scene in scene ep 1 essentially would mean Delores has had the exact same role for very long period of time because she is playing the same role with william down to the can dropping, which I find doubtful.

Loving the show, didn't expect the reactions to the last episode to be this bad.

The best parts of the show are the theories, haters gonna hate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In t he first episode, the line the security guy says to Bernard about not having any kids at home is extra heavy now that we know Bernard did have a kid, but he died.

Flo_Evans

MiB being Arnold makes a lot more sense to me, but really I don't think he is anyone other than some rich guy that got sucked into this alternate universe, he is the MMO gamer that dies at his computer. Again it makes the most sense that Arnold was killed in the previous incident, he gave the hosts to much freedom and they went nuts and turned on him.

I think the voice in Dolores' head is her own (ford says arnold programed them to think the voices in their head or "ideas" they had outside the script was god talking to them) Arnold's theory of conscious was built on self preservation, dolores normally is scripted to sit there and get raped but she has the thought to defend herself and kill the attacker.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the "MIB is Arnold/William from the Past" is the kind of plot twist that would turn a lot of people off and would be intentionally avoided. I feel like there's a lot of "predictable" things that could happen that I want the show to avoid.

Although my wild mass guess is that the MIB is trying to investigate the maze for reasons that aren't merely that he wants to see what it is - they've alluded to a lot of different "factions" with varying interests in Westworld, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's working on behalf of one of those factions to gain access to some kind of "secret" within the coding; last night's episode adding in the "mysterious dead guy who (probably) fucked with the host's code" made me think it was even more likely. Maybe the hosts are hard-coded to be incapable of being used as weapons outside Westworld and someone wants to figure out how to disable that or something like that.

Shame that they already said that the MiB is a guest, I would love him to be some kind of virus infecting hosts, and not actually someone.

Like the hosts see him as MiB but the guests/park management see him as a random host going mad/stray. His quest for the maze would be an AI trying to get free.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MiB being Arnold makes a lot more sense to me, but really I don't think he is anyone other than some rich guy that got sucked into this alternate universe, he is the MMO gamer that dies at his computer. Again it makes the most sense that Arnold was killed in the previous incident, he gave the hosts to much freedom and they went nuts and turned on him.

I think the voice in Dolores' head is her own (ford says arnold programed them to think the voices in their head or "ideas" they had outside the script was god talking to them) Arnold's theory of conscious was built on self preservation, dolores normally is scripted to sit there and get raped but she has the thought to defend herself and kill the attacker.
I think what's happening now is that the robots that are addressing Arnold when they go crazy are hearing similar voices in their heads. I mean, the scene with Ford and Bernard basically says as much, but what I'm getting at is what those robots are experiencing and what she just experienced are the same thing

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shame that they already said that the MiB is a guest, I would love him to be some kind of virus infecting hosts, and not actually someone.

Like the hosts see him as MiB but the guests/park management see him as a random host going mad/stray. His quest for the maze would be an AI trying to get free.

I guess that's a little of what makes me skeptical of the idea he's just a rich dude who does crazy shit - wouldn't they notice he's doing weird shit and been doing it for decades? Obviously they're not stepping in, but it seems like the staff does in fact monitor what is happening in Westworld pretty closely. Although perhaps there's lots of people who are completely addicted to Westworld and its less unusual than I'm imagining.

MoeDabs

Again, we see who Arnold is twice. Once in the photograph and again in Ford's flashback. He isn't William or the man in black.

Angry Grimace

The flashback theory doesn't make a lot of sense to me to begin with. Ford explained that the robots were way crappier earlier in the park's run and you'd have to assume they just randomly got worse at the acting part of portraying the robots (despite the fact that so far they've been rather meticulous about the robotic mannerisms when called for) for any of it to be a flashback.

Ok so what was with the gun in her dresser? It was like there and then it wasn't there, right in the same scene? Need to rewatch that scene. And before someone says she moved it to the barn, I dont think that was the same gun, it fell off her attacker / she pulled it off him, that's why he didn't just shoot her when she was pointing a gun at him.
The one in the barn was the attacker's, and the one in her room was Chekhov's.

MoeDabs

Wasn't Hector's hair a different color when William shot him? I feel like there are so many small differences that alone wouldn't mean anything, but added up strongly suggests the Flashback theory.

- THR interview: James Marsden
You bring up Teddy's past. In the scene with Ford, he reveals that the nebulous guilt nagging at Teddy is quite literally nothing; they never programmed that part of his backstory. It's a devastating way of looking at it, that Teddy is haunted by actually nothing.

Yeah. And he's programmed to be haunted by it. And like you said, it was just vague enough for Teddy that it stirred some true emotion when he thought about it, but I don't think he could ever assign any specifics to it. I think that's what Ford does in this scene. He programs some specifics for Teddy — maybe not for the audience just yet, but certainly for Teddy.

That comes in the form of Wyatt, this menacing figure from Teddy's "past," and a key figure in Ford's new narrative. What does that do for Teddy, for this nebulous darkness to now have a name and face — specific memories that he now has of facing down Wyatt, both of them wearing Union garb?

It's a very calculated thing. These are conversations I had with Jonah and Lisa almost every day because I want to be specific and clear. What degree of detail does Teddy have and is aware of? And of that, how much are we giving the audience and showing them? Are these flashbacks? Fleeting flashbacks for the audience to see, or are they actually going through Teddy's mind? What stays with him? What gets wiped? It's a real acting challenge. I always wanted to know what Teddy really knows right now. It's such an interesting thing as an actor, diving into playing somebody with relative consciousness — programmed consciousness. My approach for all of that was you have to keep this as real as possible. To Teddy, the stakes are real and this history is real. You approach it in that way. There's no other way to do that. Even early on, we talked about how these people move. Is there anything that separates them from real humans? Jonah always said we play this real. They are like humans. They are this advanced. And if I need to slow you down or manipulate you in some way? I will let you know. I will dial you in. (Laughs.) He's basically like Ford. He'll bring you back online! But it's getting interesting with Teddy. You're starting to learn more about him. Right now, the audience is probably thinking about playing a drinking game: "Take a shot every time Teddy gets shot!"
Before the series premiered, Teddy's true identity was a big secret. It was not known whether you were playing a guest or a host. What it was like to sit on that secret?

I think the show is big enough and grand enough in its themes of where it could be going — it's very complex, and everything is there for a reason and happening for a reason. You can't disclose why or everything that's going on, but there's enough to talk about. But it was tricky early on with some of the press, keeping it a secret. There are already people out there theorizing about what's happening, and what the Easter eggs are, and the endgame. It's difficult for people to sit back and allow the show to entertain them by letting those storylines unfold in their natural time. It can be a very gratifying experience to allow the show to tell you. I mean, look, there's nothing better than enthusiasm, which gets more people talking about the show and theorizing about it. But nothing's a secret anymore — or at least it's difficult to keep them in this day and age. But I wouldn't change a thing. It's a testament to the show that this early on, people are hooked. I was saying all along, in hopes I might be right, that really good work takes time. You do stumble and you do run into problems, and if your standard bar is very high for what you want your end-product to be like, then it's going to take time and reevaluation and a pause, which we did for a bit, to stop shooting once we caught up with the scripts. HBO and Jonah were smart enough to pump the brakes a bit to get it perfect. I think the audience will realize, as it starts to unfold, the reason why we did that. It's a great reward to see, [three] episodes in, to see people this rabid about it.
More via the link.

Angry Grimace

They didn't show Wyatt, right? I keep expecting to see Bray Wyatt come out and give a cryptic speech since they made a backwoods cult leader named Wyatt....

Angry Grimace

I guess I just feel like I've been burned a lot in the past on this type of show so speculating too much might be for naught.

I mean, I'm hoping they have this season and possibly beyond relatively tightly-plotted.

Robot Pants

I guess I just feel like I've been burned a lot in the past on this type of show so speculating too much might be for naught.

I mean, I'm hoping they have this season and possibly beyond relatively tightly-plotted.
From what I understand they have five full seasons all plotted out.

antonz

When did they mention $40K per day? I must have missed it.

Its at the end when William and his friend are around the camp fire. The friend complains how William pulled him out on this adventure and how he isn't paying 40k a day to jerk off out in the woods playing white hat.

Kadayi

Banned
From what I understand they have five full seasons all plotted out.

They have five seasons planned? One, maybe two before things go totally sideways, but five seems kind of excessive and drawn out.

Still, I'm on board. Enjoying the show so far. I like that they're exploring the whole freedom aspect and the parallels with MMO's.

They have five seasons planned? One, maybe two before things go totally sideways, but five seems kind of excessive and drawn out.

Still, I'm on board. Enjoying the show so far. I like that they're exploring the whole freedom aspect and the parallels with MMO's.
Oh, there's no way this show is staying confined to the park. I expect the show to reinvent itself each season. The story isn't the park; it's the origin of this new synthetic species

Angry Grimace

My wife keeps throwing shade at the show because of how nice Evan Rachel Wood's hair looks when she wakes up despite the fact that the show's premise gave us a completely logical in-context reason for it.
KuGsj.gif

I'm guessing this has been covered but I don't know the answers - When the hosts are getting interviewed by the Westworld employees - what do they make of that when they're back in their homes/Westworld? For example, when Bernard is talking to Dolores, he asks her if she told anyone about their conversations - meaning she remembers the fact shes talking to some random dude in some random dude, naked in a weird futuristic setting. What does she think that is when she's back in Westworld?

Sorry if this isn't worded nicely

Joni

I'm guessing this has been covered but I don't know the answers - When the hosts are getting interviewed by the Westworld employees - what do they make of that when they're back in their homes/Westworld? For example, when Bernard is talking to Dolores, he asks her if she told anyone about their conversations - meaning she remembers the fact shes talking to some random dude in some random dude, naked in a weird futuristic setting. What does she think that is when she's back in Westworld?

Sorry if this isn't worded nicely

They look to be walled off portions of their memory. She simply can't access the 'analysis'-like parts of her brain when she is doing her job in Westworld. Her Westworld memory can easily be overwritten, while her analysis-state is probably permanent.
Maeve has broken that barrier.

Top Bottom