• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Neoweee

More fuel to the William fire:

In the very first episode, the milk-hole Host is talking to somebody that has been dead for 35 years (Arnold) while going about parts of his modern routine. Is that what Dolores looks like to people around her, or is she just conflating memories of the time?

Kuros

This is my chief concern as well.

I've been reading stuff online a fair bit, so I understand the theories, but I haven't been talking about them with my wife... so I'm really curious to see how she reacts if they're indeed correct.

I don't have a preference one way or another, but assuming the theories are correct, I think they need to nail the landing when they make the reveal. I've been a bit hot and cold on the individual episodes (the episode before this most recent one was great, and I thought they finally hooked me... but after last episode I realized I'm still on the fence)... so to screw it up would really make me re-evaluate whether it's something I want to keep watching.

Agree with this. The timeline theory is massively convoluted. I don't see how they're going to get out of it without a massive montage of what parts Dolores was in what time period without massively confusing a huge amount of the audience.

Mendrox

Watched the whole 5 episodes these past days. Haven't read anything about the series, colleague recommended it to me.

So (I haven't read anything in here yet) there are two timelines, correct? I only realized that at the half of episode 3. Also the blackhat man is William? The cuts and flashbacks are quiet..confusing. Also Ford is a really strange character and he seems like he lacks emotions? But he wouldn't be Arnold with that picture in his office.

Buuuut it's a good series. :)

Heads up... a small sample of the Westworld soundtrack is out at the usual places...

iTunes

Spotify

1. Main Title Theme - Westworld
2. Black Hole Sun
3. Paint It, Black
4. No Surprises
5. A Forest

Listening to the main theme on repeat now, so good.

Heads up... a small sample of the Westworld soundtrack is out at the usual places...

iTunes

Spotify

2. Black Hole Sun
3. Paint It, Black
4. No Surprises
5. A Forest

Listening have the main theme on repeat now, so good.
There are some shows where I always skip the opening title sequence. Black Sails, Game of Thrones, and Westworld, I watch every time

Watched the whole 5 episodes these past days. Haven't read anything about the series, colleague recommended it to me.

So (I haven't read anything in here yet) there are two timelines, correct? I only realized that at the half of episode 3. Also the blackhat man is William? The cuts and flashbacks are quiet..confusing. Also Ford is a really strange character and he seems like he lacks emotions? But he wouldn't be Arnold with that picture in his office.

Buuuut it's a good series. :)
I love that you haven't read anything in this thread and, without any influence other than your own deduction, you are wondering if there's two timelines.

That's the big debate in this thread, as it happens. 🤔

There definitely seems to be two timelines

If there's a train through Pariah, I wonder if the more advanced/experienced players can ask to start at Pariah rather than at Sweetwater

ZOONAMI

We're fast approaching the end of the set of episodes they first shot before shutting down production to complete the last four scripts. It'll be interesting to see whether the season ultimately does feel like 3 distinct acts, like how they wrote and shot them: 1 -> 2-6 -> 7-10

In the pilot which they made I think a year before production on the rest of the series started, most of the plot threads are self contained. MiB is digging through different hosts until he ultimately finds the "maze" map in the dealer's scalp. Teddy is Dolores' doomed lover. There is a bug in the park and that story climaxes with the big showdown they engineer so they can pull all the affected hosts. The episode starts and ends with Dolores being interviewed, showing the tragic fate of hosts trapped in endless loops.

Then in the next episode very new ideas are immediately introduced - William and Logan are the audience surrogates as actual park visitors. One is a seasoned black hat, the other a newcomer white hat. MiB picks up Lawrence as his companion. Ford's new narrative is being seeded. Maeve starts experiencing her past. The visions of the old church start happening. These are all ongoing things that continue up until now. But with William and Logan now separated, and MiB and Lawrence having parted ways, it seems like there's going to be another big shake up soon. The Maeve storyline is definitely coming to a huge turning point now.

It'll be interesting to see what the final four episodes feel like compared to the stuff we've seen so far.

The direction in episode 4 is probably the best the series has seen so far. Some really elegant shots and creative use of transitions.

Well, it's the only episode I fell asleep watching.

Amir0x

Banned

iTunes

Spotify

2. Black Hole Sun
3. Paint It, Black
4. No Surprises
5. A Forest

Love the Black Hole Sun rendition. Fits perfectly. You know what this all reminds me of? The way Bioshock Infinite had in era renditions of modern songs like "Fortunate Son" and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

kris.

Banned
Love the Black Hole Sun rendition. Fits perfectly. You know what this all reminds me of? The way Bioshock Infinite had in era renditions of modern songs like "Fortunate Son" and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

pretty sure i'd read somewhere that B:I actually a big influence for the piano music. don't quote me on it tho because i am very lazy and can't cite any sources.

I think people are taking some of the symbolism (like the shots of Dolores by herself) and hallucinations that Dolores is having and using them as evidence that MIB=William. I just don't see it and it would ruin the show for me personally because as another poster said, unless they pull it off really well it's going to feel like a Shyamalan twist. Also with all the other mysteries in the show to then throw in multiple timelines that they have been hiding from the audience the whole time, then what the fuck even is this show.

I always assumed the MiB was Fords partner who helped create the park. Who they said died years ago. It feels like a God and Devil theme to me. Ford being god, watching over his creations and the MiB being Lucifer whispering in hosts ears and leaving clues behind trying to get the hosts to go off their loop and break the system.

Goliath

I have a question? How are some of these interviews with the hosts done? It seems like Dolores has interviews with the boss and the computer guy at the same time she is on an adventure with the two cowboys? Are they scooping her up and dropping her off in the same place that quickly?

Paganmoon

I have a question? How are some of these interviews with the hosts done? It seems like Dolores has interviews with the boss and the computer guy at the same time she is on an adventure with the two cowboys? Are they scooping her up and dropping her off in the same place that quickly?

I've half imagined them not really being done in person, at least with hosts that have active storylines, but rather electronically. But there have been some dialog that suggests they're really leaving the park to go to the complex, as I recall Bernard once saying "go back before you are missed" or something along those lines, to Dolores.

Possibly. It seems likely the park is heavily laced with hidden connections to the main facility (see: Ford's entrance into the park a few episodes back) for staff to get in and out quickly to diminish how often they're seen by guests, so she could be going through those. Alternatively there's the idea that it's explained by the split-timeline theory and she's not actually constantly leaving William and Logan, but that it's happening at a completely different time. The other theories are that there's a duplicate bot that Dolores connects to and the staff is physically talking to her through the duplicate (not a fan of that theory, seems unlikely to me) or that she's not even physically there at all, and they're communicating to her via dreams, so the "You're in a dream, Dolores" line is actual literal and the presentation of it all is for the audience's sake. I kind of like that one, but it's not without its issues...

I've half imagined them not really being done in person, at least with hosts that have active storylines, but rather electronically. But there have been some dialog that suggests they're really leaving the park to go to the complex, as I recall Bernard once saying "go back before you are missed" or something along those lines, to Dolores.

... like this. Though it could be explained as meaning "before someone notices you're 'unconscious'."

Some of these theories are bizarre. I think the producers of this tv show intended for the park to be huge but the robots to go back to the facilities for repairs, and they didn't realize that such a thing was contradictory. If you ask them about it, they'll retcon it with underground trains or something. More logos, please!

Some of these theories are bizarre. I think the producers of this tv show intended for the park to be huge but the robots to go back to the facilities for repairs, and they didn't realize that such a thing was contradictory. If you ask them about it, they'll retcon it with underground trains or something. More logos, please!

Is that really a "retcon"? I'm sure this is definitely something they thought out rather than remembering 3 episodes down the line "oh wait, hmm, this place is kind of big". We already see early on that the majority of the massive staff complex is underground.

And parks like Disneyland are already dense with underground passages anyway, for the purpose of keeping resupplies and maintenance staff from being seen regularly, among other things, so there's a real world analog.

Palmer_v1

They've already outlined that there are Host gravediggers who dump "dead" Hosts in special graves that actually empty into a transportation system that sends them to the processing area automatically.

iTunes

Spotify

2. Black Hole Sun
3. Paint It, Black
4. No Surprises
5. A Forest

Nice! Although that hugely atmospheric track at the end of episode 4/5 was not included in the sample :(

Neoweee

We've already seen the underground system that leads to the boonies in Episode 2, when Ford goes out into the desert.

My question is, where does Westworld slot into the Nolan Cinematic Universe

THE-DARK-KNIGHT-RISES_03.jpg

1509535_orig.jpeg

inception-leonardo-dicaprio-1982237583.jpg

9c24db0ae5d64dadcd68c0769ed96b20.jpg

interstellarblogrolljpg-444590_1280w.jpg

Insomnia-film-1.png

post-63744-0-77503100-1416179843.jpg

#itsallconnected

CDX

I'll stake my account that the two timelines thing is true

yep, I wont stake my account. But I do feel nearly 100% certain that we are seeing multiple timelines.

I do feel slightly less certain about William = MiB, but still think that's probably what it's going to be.

duckroll

yep, I wont stake my account. But I do feel nearly 100% certain that we are seeing multiple timelines.

I do feel slightly less certain about William = MiB, but still think that's probably what it's going to be.

I'll stake it for you. Let's do this. All in!!!!

Agree with this. The timeline theory is massively convoluted. I don't see how they're going to get out of it without a massive montage of what parts Dolores was in what time period without massively confusing a huge amount of the audience.

I really hope the multiple timelines thing isn't true because that's atrocious storytelling, but on the other hand I hope it is true because otherwise the William/Logan stuff is hard to get invested in. It's kind of bad either way!

I maintain there is only one timeline and everything is really straightforward.

Everything else is Jonah Nolan laughing to himself in his living room while reading GAF and Reddit.

Jesus guys, the slow, cinematic revelation of El Lazo's face just after MiB effed the same character was the biggest clue yet of the two timelines theory. Embrace it now!

Elandyll

Banned
I'm still not 100% on the whole William= MiB thing, but at this point they sure have gone out of their way to make us think there are two different timelines.

I remembered MiB talking to Lawrence (a bit before he bled him to death) about the discussions they used to have, and how he was changed from how he used to be this bigger than life gang leader or something.
Few scenes later, with William involved, bang. Lawrence is exactly that.

Top Bottom