• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

I have a feeling Ed Harris' MIB is only a one season character who will find the maze at the end of the season.

Was really happy to see him and Ford finally come face to face. It was like seeing these two giant personalities/performances of the show finally collide. MIB seems very familiar with the parks past and Arnold in particular. Even credits himself with saving the park. Man I wonder what the context is here.

ZOONAMI

But it's not the same circumstances. The glitch is new, her father freaking out is new, MiB is new (granted he's trying to recreate the same circumstances). Most of these "same circumstances" are all in her mind and aren't actually happening.

As for William/MiB still being able to contact her, from what we've seen he has some pull in the park. Either he has special privileges for what he did in the past, or he's a head/the head of the company.

They hadn't pulled her because they *think* she's with a guest. When they questioned who they didn't know and just assumed shes following someone and not actually taking the trip solo.

Thor sr gave the order to pull her, and they didn't.

Damn, I need to stop disappearing from this thread for long stretches. I've missed like 10 pages.

So what's the latest crazy theory? Nolan and Joy are robots? Westworld was built on a terraformed Isla Sorna after the Costa Rican government firebombed the island?

ZOONAMI

They attempted to when that guy came up to her and took her by the arm. Once it was confirmed she was with a guest they left her with William.

Right, which points to one timeline. Ferrio is saying there are 2 timelines and that she's actually alone and they didn't pull her because she might be with a guest, despite Thor sr saying pull her after the other tech saying that. They never did pull her if she is alone and the scene with william in it where they sent someone to pull her but they didn't because she was with william should pretty much kill the alt timeline theory along with the continuity of her stumbling into Williams camp and Ford's voice putting her into analysis while in Pariah, but everyone keeps insisting william = mib despite it making no sense for a shit ton of reasons beyond just the actual scenes in the show.

I agree with you.

Ferrio

Banned
We need a list for crow eating.

Right, which points to one timeline. Ferrio is saying there are 2 timelines and that she's actually alone and they didn't pull her because she might be with a guest, despite Thor sr saying pull her after the other tech saying that. They never did pull her if she is alone and the scene with william in it where they sent someone to pull her but they didn't because she was with william should pretty much kill the alt timeline theory along with the continuity of her stumbling into Williams camp and Ford's voice putting her into analysis while in Pariah, but everyone keeps insisting william = mib despite it making no sense for a shit ton of reasons beyond just the actual scenes in the show.

I agree with you.

It's misdirection. None of the cuts concretely acknowledge they're happening at the same time. We just assume since once scene ends that the next must be chronologically related. They're dropping hints about the two timelines but they're still being coy about it.

shira

v25xpVb.png
BFyOirB.jpg

Come on little one
kunk-rum.gif

William = MiB is the one theory this entire time that I haven't had a strong opinion on one way or another. I've largely leaned towards no, they're separate people for many reasons, though I never ruled out the possibility. I will say though that William's narrative arc, particularly in regards to the last episode does definitely open me up to the possibility more than I had been. It seems like a natural progression with the way he's heading. That said, for this to be true, they are pulling a hell of a lot of tricks along the way, and would be walking a very thin line between interesting twist and Shyamalaning, so they're going to need to execute the reveal just right or it's gonna be bad.

Come on little one
kunk-rum.gif

lol that briefly popped up in my head when it happened, but I forgot until now.

Burt

It's misdirection. None of the cuts concretely acknowledge they're happening at the same time. We just assume since once scene ends that the next must be chronologically related. They're dropping hints about the two timelines but they're still being coy about it.

If it was a single movie, I might be able to buy into that. You can reorganize your understanding of a movie within the new context of a twist for something of that length. But for 10 hours of runtime in a sprawling show that people were talking about being to meandering in its narrative by episode two? HBO might as well supply flow charts and cliff notes along with their subscriptions.

To break chronology in one of these 'ambiguous' scenes means opening up the possibility of it being broken in all of them. And if that's the case, the show is just an enormous jigsaw puzzle where each scene is a perfectly square piece and the only thing you have to go on is the vague appearance of similarity. Until the writers come by and say "Nope, you're wrong, THAT actually goes THERE and THAT goes THERE. Stupid!"

But, to play devil's advocate with myself, I did like the semi-hard cut onto Dolores seemingly by herself in the train car. The extreme angle change was jarring and actually made it feel like there was a hidden break between scenes. If people could find more concrete examples like that rather than instances of 'could' and 'might', I'd be much more comfortable getting on board with separate timelines.

Deep down, despite all my arguments against it, I do think that I think the MiB is William, and all the contradiction to that fact is just development hell debris. But I'm still hoping otherwise.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Is there a list for multiple timelines that doesn't include William being The Man in Black? Put me on that list. It's possible but...I'm just not "there" yet. Delirious is definitely traveling by herself and reliving events though.

Ferrio

Banned
But, to play devil's advocate with myself, I did like the semi-hard cut onto Dolores seemingly by herself in the train car. The extreme angle change was jarring and actually made it feel like there was a hidden break between scenes. If people could find more concrete examples like that rather than instances of 'could' and 'might', I'd be much more comfortable getting on board with separate timelines.

There was one pretty big example in the previews. I'm not sure if I'd say it's concrete though, people could make arguments that it's just coincidence.

Burt

There was one pretty big example in the previews. I'm not sure if I'd say it's concrete though, people could make arguments that it's just coincidence.

The knife thing? Yeah, that's the first thing that really has me doubting myself out of anything on the show. A lot of the other stuff is theorycrafting/narrative/dialogue parallels, but that knife has been a huge part of the MiB's iconography, so William having it is some real serious shit -- actual concrete evidence.

So hear me out. I'm about to lay down the likeliest truth here: Mitch Theory.

What if MiB is the same character from National Treasure: Book of Secrets. Yes, the one with Nicolas Cage. This would mean that the MiB's real name is Mitch Wilkonson.

latest

At the end of BoS, Mitch supposedly drowns, but we never get absolute proof that he stays drowned. Remember, Mitch 'died' in the same place where the country's greatest treasure was held, and Mitch is resourceful.

Technology in the NTCU would've advanced far more quickly due to the vast wealth of the discoveries made possible by Nicolas Cage's character, allowing both robotics and anti-aging to progress at a breakneck pace. Westworld doesn't tell us which year it takes place, we just know it's the future.

As you'll remember from BoS, Mitch's last request was that he be given sizable credit for assistance finding the treasure. This would work out in Mitch's favor upon being eventually rescued from the chamber and would allow him the vast fortune needed to significantly slow his aging while simultaneously allowing him the ability to create and preside over his own philanthropy-oriented company.

Throughout this journey, Mitch becomes well acquainted with Westworld, a park where both the investments and the technology are made possible by the vast fortune uncovered by Nicolas Cage. Mitch, ever the hunter of secrets and eager to find a treasure without the help of Cage, finds new purpose in the maze and retaking control over his own destiny.

Flo_Evans

The knife thing? Yeah, that's the first thing that really has me doubting myself out of anything on the show. A lot of the other stuff is theorycrafting/narrative/dialogue parallels, but that knife has been a huge part of the MiB's iconography, so William having it is some real serious shit -- actual concrete evidence.

Good lord.

all the weapons are supplied by the park...it's not his knife it's a standard prop

What if MiB is the same character from National Treasure: Book of Secrets. Yes, the one with Nicolas Cage. This would mean that the MiB's real name is Mitch Wilkonson.

latest

At the end of BoS, Mitch supposedly drowns, but we never get absolute proof that he stays drowned. Remember, Mitch 'died' in the same place where the country's greatest treasure was held, and Mitch is resourceful.

Technology in the NTCU would've advanced far more quickly due to the vast wealth of the discoveries made possible by Nicolas Cage's character, allowing both robotics and anti-aging to progress at a breakneck pace. Westworld doesn't tell us which year it takes place, we just know it's the future.

As you'll remember from BoS, Mitch's last request was that he be given sizable credit for assistance finding the treasure. This would work out in Mitch's favor upon being eventually rescued from the chamber and would allow him the vast fortune needed to significantly slow his aging while simultaneously allowing him the ability to create and preside over his own philanthropy-oriented company.

Throughout this journey, Mitch becomes well acquainted with Westworld, a park where both the investments and the technology are made possible by the vast fortune uncovered by Nicolas Cage. Mitch, ever the hunter of secrets and eager to find a treasure without the help of Cage, finds new purpose in the maze and retaking control over his own destiny.

And after that one gig in a Michael Bay thing, you could say he's really seen The Abyss. He's mazing for a submarine, that one. It's where he's gonna take The Stand. Right there with his former Black Ops buddies. Seriously, what do these mazes mean?

crap. ran out of titles I know he's in. Help!

So what's the latest crazy theory? Nolan and Joy are robots? Westworld was built on a terraformed Isla Sorna after the Costa Rican government firebombed the island?

latest

there_it_is.gif

Burt

Good lord.

all the weapons are supplied by the park...it's not his knife it's a standard prop

Sure, but the fact that the park supplies the gear doesn't
disassociate the knife from the Man in Black or negate its prominence throughout the show. I'm sure there are plenty of other Lemat revolvers with shotgun underbarrels floating around the park, but we only see the Man in Black's because the audience is supposed to identify it as his gun. If William and Dolores walked into a bar and we saw that revolver sitting on a table unattended, we'd know who's gun it is and who's coming back for it, because it's his, regardless of the fact that plenty of other people could've picked one up as well.

And we've seen his knife a hell of a lot more than we've seen his gun.

ZOONAMI

disassociate the knife from the Man in Black or negate its prominence throughout the show. I'm sure there are plenty of other Lemat revolvers with shotgun underbarrels floating around the park, but we only see the Man in Black's because the audience is supposed to identify it as his gun. If William and Dolores walked into a bar and we saw that revolver sitting on a table unattended, we'd know who's gun it is and who's coming back for it, because it's his, regardless of the fact that plenty of other people could've picked one up as well.

What if William takes the knife from mib? The preview confirms nothing and if anything Dolores wearing the same outfit talking to mib is evidence of one timeline in the same preview. A typical standard issue bowie knife isn't evidence of anything.

They've been pretty good with the previews revealing less than we initially think they do. I certainly would not rule out those in charge of the edit being tapped into fan theories and being deliberately misleading.

Flo_Evans

so he's had the same knife for 30 years? No wear? No patina? Have you seen what a 30 year old carbon steel knife looks like? Wouldn't a more logical explanation be that William takes the knife from him?

I feel like they put that scene in the trailer just to fuck with people on both sides and it's getting silly. To say that a generic prop proves anything is absurd.

Burt

What if William takes the knife from mib? The preview confirms nothing and if anything Dolores wearing the same outfit talking to mib is evidence of one timeline in the same preview. A typical standard issue bowie knife isn't evidence of anything.

They've been pretty good with the previews revealing less than we initially think they do. I certainly would not rule out those in charge of the edit being tapped into fan theories and being deliberately misleading.

Yeah, I'd buy into either or here too. There have been a couple of blatant fakeouts that have totally been designed to capitalize on people reading too deep, and
the knife could easily be taken from the MiB, or significant of nothing at all. I just feel like the way the knife's been presented makes it tilt the other way, but that's far from any kind of confirmation.

so he's had the same knife for 30 years? No wear? No patina? Have you seen what a 30 year old carbon steel knife looks like? Wouldn't a more logical explanation be that William takes the knife from him?

And that's the other thing I was about to bring up. But hey, that's how stories work. What kind of gun does James Bond use? Still, it's all up in the air.

The thing that always gets me is that Ford probably knows literally everything going on with everything both inside and outside the park and yet he lets it continue.

Well not literally everything outside the park, but definitely inside of it. Everything that's happening in there is happening because he wants it to.

We are watching two timelines, and in the current one Delores is following the footsteps of herself from the past one, following the maze. MiB thinks the maze is the ultimate end game for the guests, but it's actually a Turing test if you will for the hosts.

That's my 2 cents.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

latest

*golf clap*

Jarmel

Banned
I understand the two stooges are supposed to be plot devices but could the writing and acting just at least not be atrocious? "You are a butcher! That's all you will ever be!". I mean come on now.

Flo_Evans

Yeah, I'd buy into either or here too. There have been a couple of blatant fakeouts that have totally been designed to capitalize on people reading too deep, and
the knife could easily be taken from the MiB, or significant of nothing at all. I just feel like the way the knife's been presented makes it tilt the other way, but that's far from any kind of confirmation.

And that's the other thing I was about to bring up. But hey, that's how stories work. What kind of gun does James Bond use? Still, it's all up in the air.

A berreta.
Then various Walthers.

we know Dolores is looking for the maze. We know Mib is looking for the maze. We know William is with Dolores. Gee wonder if they will ever meet?

latest

When you lay it out like this, it's so obvious. Should have used spoiler marks.

I understand the two stooges are supposed to be plot devices but could the writing and acting just at least not be atrocious? "You are a butcher! That's all you will ever be!". I mean come on now.

That line in particular was legitimately terrible and heavy-handed, and I internally cringed when he spit that out, but as a whole I think the duo works fine. They're better than Sizemore at least (and I don't even hate him, certainly not as much as others here).

BeeDog

Didn't like the latest episode at all aside from the saloon scene between those two titans and Dolores' awakening.

- Very poorly directed, looked super-cheap and straight-up mid-tier network drama.
- Annoying characters, Jimmie Simpson still hasn't impressed me fully for taking so much screen time and Logan and the two lab cleaners are the worst. Someone said it right calling the banter between the techies CSI-level filler crap.
- Too much gratuitous nudity. Didn't really need to see all the full-frontals and the explicit side-dick shot.

I hope the next episode picks up big time and reintroduces Maeve and Bernard who can hold their own.

latest

ojc1FJp.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't like the latest episode at all aside from the saloon scene between those two titans and Dolores' awakening.

- Very poorly directed, looked super-cheap and straight-up mid-tier network drama.
- Annoying characters, Jimmie Simpson still hasn't impressed me fully for taking so much screen time and Logan and the two lab cleaners are the worst. Someone said it right calling the banter between the techies for CSI-level filler crap.
- Too much gratuitous nudity. Didn't really need to see all the full-frontals and the explicite side-dick shot.

I hope the next episode picks up big time and reintroduces Maeve and Bernard who can hold their own.

You could tell the episode director for this week was a scrub. Just absolute shit camerawork and editing.

ZOONAMI

Oh yea I forgot they just shoot the footage in this case.

This was just an all-around bad episode from so many fronts.

I liked it a lot more than ep 4. A lot more action. Ep 4 was straight up boring other than The Ford Meredith scene.

Actually I probably liked this episode as much or more than the pilot. 2,3,4 things were pretty sluggish imo.

duckroll

We're fast approaching the end of the set of episodes they first shot before shutting down production to complete the last four scripts. It'll be interesting to see whether the season ultimately does feel like 3 distinct acts, like how they wrote and shot them: 1 -> 2-6 -> 7-10

In the pilot which they made I think a year before production on the rest of the series started, most of the plot threads are self contained. MiB is digging through different hosts until he ultimately finds the "maze" map in the dealer's scalp. Teddy is Dolores' doomed lover. There is a bug in the park and that story climaxes with the big showdown they engineer so they can pull all the affected hosts. The episode starts and ends with Dolores being interviewed, showing the tragic fate of hosts trapped in endless loops.

Then in the next episode very new ideas are immediately introduced - William and Logan are the audience surrogates as actual park visitors. One is a seasoned black hat, the other a newcomer white hat. MiB picks up Lawrence as his companion. Ford's new narrative is being seeded. Maeve starts experiencing her past. The visions of the old church start happening. These are all ongoing things that continue up until now. But with William and Logan now separated, and MiB and Lawrence having parted ways, it seems like there's going to be another big shake up soon. The Maeve storyline is definitely coming to a huge turning point now.

It'll be interesting to see what the final four episodes feel like compared to the stuff we've seen so far.

I liked it a lot more than ep 4. A lot more action. Ep 4 was straight up boring other than The Ford Meredith scene.

Actually I probably liked this episode as much or more than the pilot. 2,3,4 things were pretty sluggish imo.

The direction in episode 4 is probably the best the series has seen so far. Some really elegant shots and creative use of transitions.

Nodnol

We're fast approaching the end of the set of episodes they first shot before shutting down production to complete the last four scripts. It'll be interesting to see whether the season ultimately does feel like 3 distinct acts, like how they wrote and shot them: 1 -> 2-6 -> 7-10

In the pilot which they made I think a year before production on the rest of the series started, most of the plot threads are self contained. MiB is digging through different hosts until he ultimately finds the "maze" map in the dealer's scalp. Teddy is Dolores' doomed lover. There is a bug in the park and that story climaxes with the big showdown they engineer so they can pull all the affected hosts. The episode starts and ends with Dolores being interviewed, showing the tragic fate of hosts trapped in endless loops.

Then in the next episode very new ideas are immediately introduced - William and Logan are the audience surrogates as actual park visitors. One is a seasoned black hat, the other a newcomer white hat. MiB picks up Lawrence as his companion. Ford's new narrative is being seeded. Maeve starts experiencing her past. The visions of the old church start happening. These are all ongoing things that continue up until now. But with William and Logan now separated, and MiB and Lawrence having parted ways, it seems like there's going to be another big shake up soon. The Maeve storyline is definitely coming to a huge turning point now.

It'll be interesting to see what the final four episodes feel like compared to the stuff we've seen so far.

Ahh ok...I've read conflicting reports, it seems. One site, can't remember which, stated E5 was the first episode back after the hiatus. Made sense in my head why they started to reveal more and lay the clues on a bit thicker.

Peru

- Annoying characters, Jimmie Simpson still hasn't impressed me fully for taking so much screen time and Logan and the two lab cleaners are the worst. Someone said it right calling the banter between the techies CSI-level filler crap.
- Too much gratuitous nudity. Didn't really need to see all the full-frontals and the explicit side-dick shot.

In no way did it look super-cheap. And I'm a big fan of dicks on screen. More dicks please, front, side, under.

actually the two techies remind me of another Johnathan Nolan property...the cops in the Batman trilogy lmao.

SickBoy

That said, for this to be true, they are pulling a hell of a lot of tricks along the way, and would be walking a very thin line between interesting twist and Shyamalaning, so they're going to need to execute the reveal just right or it's gonna be bad.

This is my chief concern as well.

I've been reading stuff online a fair bit, so I understand the theories, but I haven't been talking about them with my wife... so I'm really curious to see how she reacts if they're indeed correct.

I don't have a preference one way or another, but assuming the theories are correct, I think they need to nail the landing when they make the reveal. I've been a bit hot and cold on the individual episodes (the episode before this most recent one was great, and I thought they finally hooked me... but after last episode I realized I'm still on the fence)... so to screw it up would really make me re-evaluate whether it's something I want to keep watching.

Top Bottom