• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Jake.

Just so folks know, there is ZERO proof that there is causation in what I'm about to tell you, but here it is anyway. Alzheimer's is caused by too much aluminum in your brain. Though using aluminum products is not proven to cause it, rubbing it on your face and in your armpits seems like something you might want to avoid. Again, zero proof, just something to think about.

...why post this? get the fuck out of here.

anyway, after 1.5 years of DE shaving and trying basically every single blade on the market (kai is the only one i haven't used) i have finally settled on the 'best' blade for me. just bought 50.

PxfO7.jpg

bob page

Started using Astra SPs last night after switching from a few months on Feathers. Definitely impressed. My first attempt wasn't as good but I experimented with the lather on another pass and it was much better. Got a shave similar to Feathers but with less irritation and for a fraction of the cost. Keepers!

Kosmo

Banned
Still into this, but I gotta be honest - I'm thinking of just going back to good old Barbasol instead of wasting time with the shave soaps and brush.

Giard

Still into this, but I gotta be honest - I'm thinking of just going back to good old Barbasol instead of wasting time with the shave soaps and brush.
Might wanna try a shaving stick too.

Just to reiterate what the others have said: there's no aluminum in alum blocks, it won't give you Alzheimer's.

BTW, thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive. We're one of the smallest communities on GAF, but it's fun sharing and reading info with you guys.

jcm

Lathering with a brush is the best part for me. I would never give up my creams and soaps. Well, that and being able to shave every day without hurting my face.

J-Roderton

I agree. I've been on this for a few months now and really can't tell a difference to be honest, other than it takes a little longer.

Tried an Astra blade today, my face feels like butter. Probably the closest shave of the sampler pack for me so far. But I'm gonna try a Feather after this one so we'll see.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

Try some tabac before you call it quits. Shit's so easy to lather, it's laughable. Gives a way better lather than anything Barbarsol could dream of.

clav

Astra SPs are my go-to blade. Bought 100 of them.

Man, they last for quite a number of shaves.

The only thing I dislike about them is the packaging. Man is it cheap and no disposal container.

ShaneB

Went to change my blade today before shaving, and realized the razor pack was empty. I threw out the wrong one when I was cleaning up the other day :( Now I have to pray that my last blade lasts me until the sampler pack I just ordered arrives. lol

Giard

Went to change my blade today before shaving, and realized the razor pack was empty. I threw out the wrong one when I was cleaning up the other day :( Now I have to pray that my last blade lasts me until the sampler pack I just ordered arrives. lol

:lol

I'm still enjoying my Astra SP blades. No irritation at all today. I decided to try the aftershave I had ordered a couple of weeks earlier that had acted badly on my face - no reaction this time, my face just felt smoother. I'm guessing the aftershave acted badly because of the irritation the Feather blade gave me.

ShaneB

:lol

I'm still enjoying my Astra SP blades. No irritation at all today. I decided to try the aftershave I had ordered a couple of weeks earlier that had acted badly on my face - no reaction this time, my face just felt smoother. I'm guessing the aftershave acted badly because of the irritation the Feather blade gave me.

Just a sign of telling me I waited too long to order a sampler pack I've wanted to do for a while now.

Kinda wanted to check out a new shaving cream or something, but I guess that can wait for a bit as well. Will be at least glad to try something else besides the Feathers, which I know aren't the best for my face.

Does GAF have a dedicated skincare thread? I wanted to ask a question, couldn't find a topic, but I want to be sure before I make an ass of myself by making a new thread.

ShaneB

I think there might be one, but don't worry so much. It's not like SomethingAwful where everything is a megathread. If you can't find a topic, just go ahead and create a new thread :)

I did the same for shaving and asked for advice, which in turn lead to this thread.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Got my feather blades last week, holy shit they are sharp. Very nice. They are now my "go-to" blades. It looks like my skin is less irritated when using feather blades, not that there was much irritation to speak of before, but the feeling afterwards is much nicer then with the Merkur or Rothbart blades.

ShaneB

Yay my blades shipped. Now to hope it doesn't take too long. Might have to use a couple of the bargain disposible blades I have, blech.

Ordered all these, 50 blades for 20 bucks.

518f%2BQRmr8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Been wet shaving for 4 years now. Best hygienic descision I've made in that time.

Second best decision was to incorporate this into my regiment:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rJrgYws9L._SS500_.jpg

Dealt with my ingrown hair and razor bump problem like nothing else.

Third best decision was to look up a DIY formula on the Internet to make it even better and much cheaper.
Been meaning to ask about this. Been using the DIY formula for awhile now (wet shaving since Jan, best decision I've made this year), but I noticed something weird. I was sick a month ago, and during that week, the razor bumps came back.... That whole week I had razor bumps (not as bad as when I shaved with a cartridge razor, but still pretty bad) along with being sick.

I didn't think nothing of it until I started feeling better and the bumps went back down. Now, is this a good thing? Now I'm starting to wonder if using too much tend skin may wreck my immune system or something....

Also, how long do you guys use a single blade before switching. Been using Feather blades about 3 times before discarding it, but I'm starting to think it should last a lot longer.

Esch

Banned
Love the closeness of the Feather shave but after a little deliberation i really think the Astra SP might be the best compromise between price, quality, and closeness of shave

Giard

I didn't think nothing of it until I started feeling better and the bumps went back down. Now, is this a good thing? Now I'm starting to wonder if using too much tend skin may wreck my immune system or something....
I really doubt that's the case, but I've never used TendSkin before.

youngplaya21 said:
Also, how long do you guys use a single blade before switching. Been using Feather blades about 3 times before discarding it, but I'm starting to think it should last a lot longer.
For most people, Feather blades don't last that long. If you've tried using it more than 3 times and only got a bad shave and irritated skin, there's no reason to keep it.

Overall, it depends a lot on the brand and the kind of beard you have.

Love the closeness of the Feather shave but after a little deliberation i really think the Astra SP might be the best compromise between price, quality, and closeness of shave
One of us! One of us!

Antagon

What's the experience with Edwin Jagger? Looking at buying a double edged razor (E89L) and best badger brush from them. Will be my first time trying a DE, so I'm looking for something that's suitable for beginners.

zero_suit

What's the experience with Edwin Jagger? Looking at buying a double edged razor (E89L) and best badger brush from them. Will be my first time trying a DE, so I'm looking for something that's suitable for beginners.

It's been fantastic for me so far (got one in December). People say it's milder (less aggressive) than Merkur DE razors, so the E89L is great for beginners.

Antagon

Allright, going to give it a go. Got shaving creme from both Proraso and Edwin Jagger as well, an alum block and a sample pack of razors. I already got a decent after shave.

Hopefully it's worth it.

reakt

Once again Gaf inspires me to change something about myself. Haven't looked back since the thread about shaving your nuts inspired me to make that part of my grooming routine :)

Antagon

I think I'll save some cartridge razors for that though. Anyone got enough guts to do that with a double edge or a straight?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
face, DE. Anywhere else on the body, cartridge, lol... no question.

Also think I'm going back to the Feather. Astras have been nice, but I've noticed that the Feathers still give a slightly more consistent shave for me. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to my technique, or maybe they just work better in my razor, which seems to be a bit more mild.

jcm

If anyone is looking for a razor, Amazon's flash sales site myhabit.com is going to have a Merkur sale today. It starts in 1 minute, and the good deals tend to sell out quick, but it might be worth a look if you see this soon.

I have a merkur 180 that I like. I think I paid about $30-$35 for it several years ago.

If anyone is looking for a razor, Amazon's flash sales site myhabit.com is going to have a Merkur sale today. It starts in 1 minute, and the good deals tend to sell out quick, but it might be worth a look if you see this soon.

Not seeing much "sale" in those prices, actually. $42 the "sale" price on an item that is currently $42.99 on Amazon proper? Like I'm supposed to believe they're going to start charging retail after the sale is over or something? Okay, lol.

No, instead, this is no sale at all, it's competitive (read: retail for anyone who doesn't pay retail) pricing dressed up as a sale. It's not "we have a fuckton of these so we're moving them out for cheap," it's, "Here you poor saps, have a dollar-off coupon."

Sorry, thanks for the tip (savings are savings), just rubs me wrong. :)

Detox

Anyone use castle and Forbes shaving cream? I've tried to get a nice thick lather three times on it and failed. I usually get a decent size of cream on my finger then lather in the bowl it always ends up with one semi decent pass and then the rest is rubbing a dry brush on my face. I've tried adding water but there is no soap left it just dries out way too fast. Wish I kept using the razorock xxx.

jcm

Not seeing much "sale" in those prices, actually. $42 the "sale" price on an item that is currently $42.99 on Amazon proper? Like I'm supposed to believe they're going to start charging retail after the sale is over or something? Okay, lol.

No, instead, this is no sale at all, it's competitive (read: retail for anyone who doesn't pay retail) pricing dressed up as a sale. It's not "we have a fuckton of these so we're moving them out for cheap," it's, "Here you poor saps, have a dollar-off coupon."

Sorry, thanks for the tip (savings are savings), just rubs me wrong. :)

No need to apologize to me - I agree with you. It was a sucky sale. If I would have seen the prices before it started I wouldn't even have posted it. Hell, I'm sorry I wasted your time with it.

Anyone use castle and Forbes shaving cream? I've tried to get a nice thick lather three times on it and failed. I usually get a decent size of cream on my finger then lather in the bowl it always ends up with one semi decent pass and then the rest is rubbing a dry brush on my face. I've tried adding water but there is no soap left it just dries out way too fast. Wish I kept using the razorock xxx.

C&F Lavender is my all time favorite. I'm not sure what to tell you, though, I just swirl my wet brush around the tub a bit to load it, and then lather in a bowl. I don't think I do anything special. Maybe try using more product? If nothing else, it will be gone sooner and you can buy something you like. :)

Dariee

Though still using disposable razors like one in the pic below, have to say that some good tips from OP helped me to overcome any irritation in the neck. Basically the 'use a hot towel beforehand'-thing did the trick. Oh, and most importantly: not using any 'after shave balm' anymore, as that tended to increase irritations as well. Thank you for helping me out, GAF!

gillette_fusion_power.jpg

Antagon

Got my sample pack of blades in. Which make good beginner blades? Used Derby twice now (only shaving once every couple of days and taking the time instead of rushing it daily) and I want to switch out blades for a different one. Got Gillette 7 O'Clock, Astra, Wilkinson Sword, Feather (yeah... not touching these for a while), Shark, Lord, Personna and crystal

Giard

Got my sample pack of blades in. Which make good beginner blades? Used Derby twice now (only shaving once every couple of days and taking the time instead of rushing it daily) and I want to switch out blades for a different one. Got Gillette 7 O'Clock, Astra, Wilkinson Sword, Feather (yeah... not touching these for a while), Shark, Lord, Personna and crystal
You've got lots of good choices here; Astra, Shark, Personna are good choices. What color are your 7 O'Clocks?

BTW, most of the new Proraso line of products are available on Italian Barber, for those interested.

Been a while since I've seen the thread on the first page. :p

Antagon

You've got lots of good choices here; Astra, Shark, Personna are good choices. What color are your 7 O'Clocks?

BTW, most of the new Proraso line of products are available on Italian Barber, for those interested.

Been a while since I've seen the thread on the first page. :p

The 7 O'Clocks are the blue ones, super platinum.

Also need to try some different shaving creams, using edwin jagger aloe vera now, got some pro raso as well. Got two samples of different shaving creams for edwin jagger as well, they'll come in handy when I'm on a trip to Moscow next week.

Anyone got any experience with taking alum on hand luggage in a plane? Could that be a problem?

Antagon

Those 7 O'Clocks are a good choice too.

Pray they don't think it's crystal meth. :p

Good point.

Might just avoid all the hassle and use a disposable razor while using decent lather. Probably easier to find then double edged blades anyway.

jcm

The 7 O'Clocks are the blue ones, super platinum.

Also need to try some different shaving creams, using edwin jagger aloe vera now, got some pro raso as well. Got two samples of different shaving creams for edwin jagger as well, they'll come in handy when I'm on a trip to Moscow next week.

Anyone got any experience with taking alum on hand luggage in a plane? Could that be a problem?

Don't know about alum, but the TSA made me throw away my DE blades in hand luggage. Apparently you have to check them.

Top Bottom