• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

pax217

Shaving around the edges of your mouth... techniques? I always seem to leave a spot on each side of the mustache, and on the edges of my mouth which are poorly done compared to cheeks/neck and I don't know why the angle I'm taking is wrong, I just never seem to be able to get really close in those areas.

clav

Shaving around the edges of your mouth... techniques? I always seem to leave a spot on each side of the mustache, and on the edges of my mouth which are poorly done compared to cheeks/neck and I don't know why the angle I'm taking is wrong, I just never seem to be able to get really close in those areas.

Try grinning. Seems to open up the hairs.

jiffy38

So I just attempted my first shave with my DE89 and decided on Derbys for the first go. First pass wtg went fairly well, not very close but with no issues. Second pass WTG went like the first still not very close. Did a third pass across the grain but it still was not as close as I would like. Now I am left with a fairly mediocre shave.

This may be due to the fact that as much as it irritates my skin I could only previous get a close shave going against the grain with my proglide razor. Maybe a different blade will give a closer shave but I am sure I just have not perfected my technique yet. Hopefully more advice and practice should improve my ability.

zero_suit

So I just attempted my first shave with my DE89 and decided on Derbys for the first go. First pass wtg went fairly well, not very close but with no issues. Second pass WTG went like the first still not very close. Did a third pass across the grain but it still was not as close as I would like. Now I am left with a fairly mediocre shave.

This may be due to the fact that as much as it irritates my skin I could only previous get a close shave going against the grain with my proglide razor. Maybe a different blade will give a closer shave but I am sure I just have not perfected my technique yet. Hopefully more advice and practice should improve my ability.

Indeed, but you'll get a lot better with time.

jcm

Through no fault of Mike, I still still haven't received my samples of Mikes Shaving soap. I had the wrong address on my paypal account, and he has been patiently sending things to a house I haven't lived in for years. The customer service has been terrific, and I'm still eager to try the soap.

In the meantime, I found another all natural soap that i really like, but it's going to be hard for most of you to acquire. It's called Tandi's Naturals Luxury Butters & Silk shaving soap, from Lancaster PA. Unfortunately, it's not on her website right now (maybe you could write to them and find out the status), but if you live in Philly, Lancaster, or DC I highly recommend picking some up. It smells amazing, and feels really moisturizing. Ingredients are: Local tallow; castor oil; coconut milk; water; kokum butter; lye; vegetable glycerin; bentonite clay; avocado oil; olive oil; shea butter; coconut oil; mango butter; essential oils of cedarwood, lemongrass and star anise; raw sugar; tussah noil silk fiber.

Giard

Waited a couple of days before shaving (Feather blade healing period), used the Astra SPs I received... practically no irritation. Feels good man.

Tried out Cella too, lathers great. Everyone says it smells like almonds or marzipan, I think it smells like Maraschino cherries. I might have a weird sense of smell.

Broseybrose

Had my second shave with my EJ DE89 (Feather blade). 1 pass WTG, 1 ATG. A great shave. Slightly more skin irritation than a cartridge, but just as close. Im sure my technique will improve with each shave.

My Edwin Jagger DE89 should be arriving this afternoon. Along with a set of blades, soaps, brush, and aftershave. I shaved off my beard of 5 years on Sunday and now eagerly await the joy of shaving.

Broseybrose

Ive gotta say that the EJ DE89 is an especially handsome razor. I actually enjoy disassembling, cleaning, and drying it after each shave. Its something i feel the need to do especially because my entire razor (including handle) is chrome plated, so my fingerprints show up on the handle and everywhere else. Only takes a minute really.

jcm

I received my Mike's samples yesterday, and had y first shave with them this morning. I tried the Rose & Cedarwood, and really liked it. It's very slick, and feels very moisturizing. I've always preferred creams,but my experience this week with tallow soaps has me second guessing.

The scent is very nice - the Cedarwood keeps the rose from smelling topo girly. One thing that may concer some, though - the scent is strong. I shaved this morning, and can still smell it. This makes me think it might be synthetic rose fragrance rather than essential oil, which would disappoint me. I'm going to double check the ingredients when I get home.

Anyway, I really like it, and can't wait to try the others.

Edit: As I guessed, the Rose & Cedarwood has fragrance, as does the Barbershop. The others are EO-only.

Go_Ly_Dow

Switched to wet shaving recently to achieve a closer shave. I sometimes mildly break out with spots or redness after shaving for the next 1-3 days.

Any good tactics to reduce or even stop this from happening?

Giard

Switched to wet shaving recently to achieve a closer shave. I sometimes mildly break out with spots or redness after shaving for the next 1-3 days.

Any good tactics to reduce or even stop this from happening?
You might be using too much pressure. Are you going against the grain?
You could also try out the TendSkin formula in the OP.

First try against the grain today. Used a Dorco. It was tugging quite a bit and my face has some red spots on one side. I only did 2 passes WTG beforehand so I might add in an across the grain to make it easier.

I won't do against the grain every shave but maybe just once a week.

Just completed my first wet shave. Holy heck that was nice! No cuts and everything went smoothly. Probably the best shave I've ever had at home. Only problem was getting the right angle so the blade hit the skin.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am still getting tiny cuts on my neck, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong but it's getting very annoying. Any suggestions?

I'm using a Mercur Futur with Feather blades, usually 3 passes and replacing blade after 2 shaves. Also using shaving oil and cream.

Go with the grain*.

*depends on your beard growth patterns, e.g.:
plQM8.jpg

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Yeah! I just shaved with TABAC. Well that was really, really nice. It smelled weird... I like weird. It smells like an old person smoking in the corner of a flower shop.

Giard

Yeah! I just shaved with TABAC. Well that was really, really nice. It smelled weird... I like weird. It smells like an old person smoking in the corner of a flower shop.
:lol
Everyone has funny descriptions of the smell. I'd say it smells like Frank Sinatra.

You guys think we might get moved to Off-topic Community?

ShaneB

I really hope not. This is the sort of thread that benefits from being active and letting new people be able to see it easily and discover all of this stuff too.

I'm getting the hang of things around my area. I realized I wasn't really putting any pressure and in turn my little scraps would just be pulling the hairs. I'll echo the earlier sentiments, I feel much better with the Feather blades I have after a few shaves with them, lol.

XenoRaven

So the Astra SP has given me my best shave yet. I'm still messing around with the rest of my sampler pack, but I think I'm going to be settling on Astra blades. If I had to rank my experience so far, it would go like this.

1. Astra SP
2. Gilette 7 o'clock Platinum
3. Rainbow
4. Feather
5. Shark
6. Lord something or other

I still have to try the Gilette steel blades, and a few others in my sampler, so we'll see how that goes.

mkenyon

Banned
So the Astra SP has given me my best shave yet. I'm still messing around with the rest of my sampler pack, but I think I'm going to be settling on Astra blades. If I had to rank my experience so far, it would go like this.

1. Astra SP
3. Rainbow
4. Feather
5. Shark

I still have to try the Gilette steel blades, and a few others in my sampler, so we'll see how that goes.

You seem to be right in line with me on the top 4, but the Israeli Crystal Reds are even better than the Astras. Give 'em a shot.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Thinking about picking up some Astras, or maybe some Personnas, I dunno. Feathers are nice, and they give me a close comfortable shave, but I can't go ATG without irritation (I dunno if switching blades will change anything, but perhaps it's worth a shot). What's the difference between the Superior Platinum, and the Superior Stainless? Other than coating material, do these blades offer some kind of performance difference? Is one better than the other?

Giard

Thinking about picking up some Astras, or maybe some Personnas, I dunno. Feathers are nice, and they give me a close comfortable shave, but I can't go ATG without irritation (I dunno if switching blades will change anything, but perhaps it's worth a shot). What's the difference between the Superior Platinum, and the Superior Stainless? Other than coating material, do these blades offer some kind of performance difference? Is one better than the other?
Super Platinums are considered to be the better ones, by far.

jcm

1. Astra SP
3. Rainbow
4. Feather
5. Shark

Ha. Shark and Lord (They come from the same factory, and I can't tell the difference) are my usual blades. That's why samplers are such a good idea - there's no one blade for everyone.

On the soap front, I have now tried all three of my Mike's samples. I thought the Rose & Cedarwood smelled of artificial rose scent, and was too strong/long lasting. The Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper was my favorite scent, by a lot. It has a very strong orange scent that doesn't hang around too long. The Lavandin & Eucalyptus is nice, though I wish it had more Lavandin - the scent is somewhat faint while shaving. I actually got the best lather and shave from the Lavandin & Eucalyptus, but that may be user error on the others - I normally use creams, so soaps can be tricky for me.

Overall, I was pleased, and I'll be adding Mike's soaps to my roster of shaving products.

zbarron

p9fZ4.jpg

My shaving setup. Nothing too fancy but I feel it has a certain class only a gentle manne of leisure can appreciate.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Bought a pack of Astra SP's after doing a bit of research. I didn't wanna fuck around with a sampler pack (though I might regret this..), but based on reviews they seem to fit the bill since I'd like a sharp blade, but also have fairly sensitive skin. On another note, I completely my first successful ATG pass with Feathers. Barely a nick, but it took a long time (and I did have a little redness), I guess technique really is everything...

malfcn

This is an interesting alternative to the massive acceptable way. I don't think I have enough style or patience at this time. Maybe in a few years.

Anyone have any information on Nancy Boy shaving creams and after shaves? I've heard good things but only anecdotally. I can't say I like the name, but I would have to think they know what they are talking about.

I'm also looking for a good brush and razor stand. I have a shavemac silvertip and Edwin Jaegger DE89. Thoughts?

I'd like to use a safety razor, but it's kind of pointless. I have dark hair so even if I shave against the grain I have a Don Draper-esque five o'clock shadow two hours after shaving. As a result, I go with the grain to save myself some irritation.

jcm

Anyone have any information on Nancy Boy shaving creams and after shaves? I've heard good things but only anecdotally. I can't say I like the name, but I would have to think they know what they are talking about.

I'm also looking for a good brush and razor stand. I have a shavemac silvertip and Edwin Jaegger DE89. Thoughts?

I have their cream in signature and their aftershave in both signature and cucumber. The cream is nice, although it's not designed to be used with a brush, so it produces kind of weird lather. It's very slick, though. Both the after shaves are nice, too. I use the cucumber one with my lime cream, and it reminds me of a nice cucumber sangria I make. :)

They only use essential oil for scent, so none of the scents last terribly long. If you place an order with them, make sure to sign up for their mailing list. You get 15% off, and can cancel the emails immediately if you want.

I buy some other stuff from them, too. The beeswax candles are nice an reasonably priced, and so are the bath soaps. We have their oil warmer and a couple of their EO blends. And my wife likes their eye cream and laundry soap, but they are fucking expensive.

Also fucking expensive is my razor stand. It looks ok, but I paid $40 for it. I think you can do better.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'd like to use a safety razor, but it's kind of pointless. I have dark hair so even if I shave against the grain I have a Don Draper-esque five o'clock shadow two hours after shaving. As a result, I go with the grain to save myself some irritation.

Well, the point of using a safety razor isn't specifically for shaving against the grain. A lot of people have a harder time shaving against the grain with a DE safety razor than with a regular cartridge. The point of shaving this way kind of varies from person to person, but for me, it was because I get a lot less irritation doing it like this, and that includes shaving with, or against. I also feel like my skin is a lot healthier, and I enjoy the act of shaving now, as opposed to hating it.

bob page

Just ordered some Proraso Ultra Sensitive soap & Astra blades (switching from Art of Shaving Cream and Feathers). Curious to see if this will be a good combo for me- it'll definitely save me money.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, the point of using a safety razor isn't specifically for shaving against the grain. A lot of people have a harder time shaving against the grain with a DE safety razor than with a regular cartridge. The point of shaving this way kind of varies from person to person, but for me, it was because I get a lot less irritation doing it like this, and that includes shaving with, or against. I also feel like my skin is a lot healthier, and I enjoy the act of shaving now, as opposed to hating it.

These are my exact sentiments. For work days, i do a quick WTG, and across the grain. Takes the same time as my old routine with a fraction of the irritation. On days where i want my face super soft for my lady, I take my time.

Broseybrose

Well I just had a nice shave with my DE89 and Feather blades. 1 pass WTG 1 pass ATG. And i know how much GAF loves pictures...

My kit.
jzavO0tktktqr.jpg

My shave. =]
jbqZMvQUmGos9I.jpg

So after some 15 brands I've used dem Feathers for the first time (in Merkur HD). Not bad, they are definitely the sharpest blades around and give me a very close shave, but even though I didn't cut myself or had too much irritation post-shave, I've noticed some of it on the next day.
I feel like I'll stay with my Personnas for daily, semi-daily shaves, but keep the Feathers around for special occasions.

Robot Pants

Couple of questions guys.
I've been into this for two shaves now. I just got all my stuff last week.
First off, I need to get my lather right. I know the last two times it hasn't been thick enough or the right consistency. I've still had a good shave only a few very small nicks towards the bottom of my neck, but I know it can be better if I had perfect lather.
I'm using Geo F Trumper Sandalwood shaving cream, but I'm seeing some posts here, and on the internet that use both soap and shaving cream.
Is this something I should look into, or is it just personal preference?
Question 2: Those of you with the alum bar, how do you store that thing? I've been letting it dry and putting it back in the box.

Also, what are some good recommendations for pre-shave stuff?
Thanks, gents.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Wow... Astra SP for the win! The sharpness of a feather, but without the bite! And at that price?? shiiiiieeet.

Used an alum block with my shave today. It feels like you're doing some kind of pseudoscience bullshit, rubbing a stone on your face... but then it starts stinging like mad and your skin puckers up and gets all tight, and then you wash it off and there's no redness or nicks! :D

fuck yea.

I also bought some azulene oil. Thinking about making my own aftershave balm... man I fucking love this. My face was so boss today.

mkenyon

Banned
Just so folks know, there is ZERO proof that there is causation in what I'm about to tell you, but here it is anyway. Alzheimer's is caused by too much aluminum in your brain. Though using aluminum products is not proven to cause it, rubbing it on your face and in your armpits seems like something you might want to avoid. Again, zero proof, just something to think about.

Robot Pants

Just so folks know, there is ZERO proof that there is causation in what I'm about to tell you, but here it is anyway. Alzheimer's is caused by too much aluminum in your brain. Though using aluminum products is not proven to cause it, rubbing it on your face and in your armpits seems like something you might want to avoid. Again, zero proof, just something to think about.

I already use non-aluminum deodorant, and also I'm pretty sure razor blades and safety razors are made of steel.
I think if there was a risk of Alzheimers through shaving, just about every man since history would have it.

If you are referring to the "alum" block in the post above, that's just potassium.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

You're thinking of aluminum zirconium or aluminum chlorohydrate. The stuff found in anti-perisperant types of deodorant. Potassium alum is just a crystallized mineral salt dude. The only threat it poses is as a mild skin irritant. Its toxicity levels are close to none.

Top Bottom