• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Dynamic3

Cool thread. The setup I've been using for a few years now:

Oil - Anthony Pre Shave Oil

Extremely light on the skin, unscented (same reason as below). I might try The Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp Pre-Shave Gel at might next replenish point as it's a gel (oil isn't the easiest thing to apply and can leave a residue), though I'm slightly hesitant about it having a fragrance.

Soap - The Art of Shaving Shaving Soap (Unscented, w/ Bowl)

I find the soap to lather just as well as creams, and both lasts considerably longer and has easier prep. Unscented as it's one of the two offerings from The Art of Shaving that is very light on the skin, and I don't wish to mix scents with the after shave balm below.

After Shave - Baxter of California After Shave Balm

Alcohol free and truly moisturizes, great soothing effect, also has a light citrus scent (I oppose purely fragrance after shaves). I also use the Art of Shaving unscented variety if I'm shaving in the evening and want to go completely unscented so that I have the option to use cologne; isn't as good as the Baxter though.

I occasionally slot in the Anthony astringent before the after shave depending on how crazy I got with the cleansing routine beforehand.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How many passes do people do? I'm leaning towards three currently - with, with, and across. No against the grain at the moment. Would love a fourth pass but don't have enough beatd left after the third. In fact I could get away with two really careful passes, but there is something relaxing in doing three.

How many passes do people do? I'm leaning towards three currently - with, with, and across. No against the grain at the moment. Would love a fourth pass but don't have enough beatd left after the third. In fact I could get away with two really careful passes, but there is something relaxing in doing three.
I'm kind of doing three and getting good results. With, against and across. I'll probably keep changing around, though to get the perfect results. But i guess I'm pretty much there as it is.

zero_suit

Three, with the first two WTG, and the last ATG (across the grain).

Giard

Just had my first shave with my EJ DE90, feather blades, and all my other nice gear.

I really made a big deal in my mind about nothing. Shaving with a DE does require more skill than carts, but its not at all hard.

However i havent yet decided if its better.

Impressions compared to regular cart shaving are; its harder to be thorough and i get razor burn trying to get everything baby smooth.

I assume as my technique improves ill be able to get a shave as close and thorough as carts without the burn.

Might wanna try something other than Feather blades. I could get great shaves with other blades, but with them, I get lots of razor burn. I bought 100 of 'em without thinking because a lot of people say they're the best, but they're just not for me. Maybe it's the same case for you.

I do the usual 3 passes... Can't do against the grain on my neck with the Feathers though.

Detox

Might wanna try something other than Feather blades. I could get great shaves with other blades, but with them, I get lots of razor burn. I bought 100 of 'em without thinking because a lot of people say they're the best, but they're just not for me. Maybe it's the same case for you.

I do the usual 3 passes... Can't do against the grain on my neck with the Feathers though.

What blades do you use now?

Giard

What blades do you use now?
I had bought a sampler pack, and among those I liked the Astra SPs the best. I'm gonna be ordering those to replace the Feathers that I am currently using.

I know I'm bitching a lot about Feathers recently, but they still might be the ideal blade for you guys! Just don't do like me and buy into the hype without trying them out first.

Robot Pants

Hey GAF, I'm jumping on this too. I've been going back and forth with shaving options for years. The skin on my neck is very sensitive, and in the beginning I started with regular disposable blades and my neck would get knicks and cuts, almost all underneath the chin and near the adams apple. Plus, it would look downright terrible, but I also didn't have a very good techinque. So since then I switched to electric razor which didn't give me as much discomfort. Been using it for years. However, the hair on my neck is very thick and coarse and takes a lot of passing and rubbing with the electric razor to shave. Sometimes there would still be spots that just wouldn't cut. And all that rubbing would sometimes leave red marks on my necks, especially during hot months.

Anyhow, for some reason I decided to go back to trying straight razors (disposable) again, and I've had none of the problems I used to. I guess my skin is just different now and my technique is better. But still I rather do this properly, and get into the wet shave/safety razor
thing. So sorry for the long post, but there is a reason:

I'm currently looking at 2 different razors:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 1904 Classic
BUT THEN as I was scrolling down I see the Merkur "Slant" (37C) which says that it is recommended for people with thick or coarse beards. Which I have. So as a first safety razor, do you think I need to bother with the Slant for extra money or would the other two options be equally as good? Is there anyone with experience with the Slant?
Thanks so much, dudes.

h3ro

Giard, do you know if the upcoming Sandalwood Proraso line will be made of the new formulation that's going to be used in the main line?

I love the smell of sandalwood and would like to pick up the new Proraso soap in the new scent as a change of pace lather to use occasionally.

ShaneB

I had bought a sampler pack, and among those I liked the Astra SPs the best. I'm gonna be ordering those to replace the Feathers that I am currently using.

I know I'm bitching a lot about Feathers recently, but they still might be the ideal blade for you guys! Just don't do like me and buy into the hype without trying them out first.

Will share these sentiments as well. Feathers might be great blades, but not for my face.

A sampler pack should be in every first timer's purchase.

Giard

Giard, do you know if the upcoming Sandalwood Proraso line will be made of the new formulation that's going to be used in the main line?

I love the smell of sandalwood and would like to pick up the new Proraso soap in the new scent as a change of pace lather to use occasionally.
Judging by this pic...
proraso_sapone_da_barba_rosso.jpg
The red version seems to be for tough beards and includes sandalwood and shea butter. Their aftershave also went under a reformulation, so I'm guessing everything has a new formula with no more parabens and SLS.

No soap version confirmed for the red line as of yet... Someone sent an e-mail to Proraso and they replied that the new line of products might not be available till September 2012.

Giard

I'm currently looking at 2 different razors:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 1904 Classic
BUT THEN as I was scrolling down I see the Merkur "Slant" (37C) which says that it is recommended for people with thick or coarse beards. Which I have. So as a first safety razor, do you think I need to bother with the Slant for extra money or would the other two options be equally as good? Is there anyone with experience with the Slant?
Thanks so much, dudes.
Hi, sorry for the late response!
Just a little comment... straight razors are these:
AOSstraighthorn.jpg

I think you meant that you went back to cartridge razors.

I read a little on the razors you're interested in. The Merkur 1904 Classic is considered a mild razor, good for beginners, but the build quality leaves to be desired. The Slant is a great aggressive razor, and the DE89 is one of the best mild razors around.

So, I'd say go with the beginner-friendly DE89 or if you feel the more aggressive Slant will give you a better shave, you may want to buy that one, but you're going to have to be more careful with it than with the DE89. You can read about it here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/2525-Merkur-Slant-Bar

Robot Pants

Hi, sorry for the late response!
Just a little comment... straight razors are these:
AOSstraighthorn.jpg

I think you meant that you went back to cartridge razors.

I read a little on the razors you're interested in. The Merkur 1904 Classic is considered a mild razor, good for beginners, but the build quality leaves to be desired. The Slant is a great aggressive razor, and the DE89 is one of the best mild razors around.

So, I'd say go with the beginner-friendly DE89 or if you feel the more aggressive Slant will give you a better shave, you may want to buy that one, but you're going to have to be more careful with it than with the DE89. You can read about it here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/2525-Merkur-Slant-Bar

Awesome. Thanks, man!
And yea I meant cartridge razor haha.

clav

Used the Trader Joe's Honey Mango shaving cream today.

Wow. Definitely a bargain.

I think I'll be using this from now on.

Says to apply on face directly, but I was able to obtain a lather using the brush and bowl.

Esch

Banned
Tried Feathers for the first time today.

Best shave I've ever had. Hair falls off with no effort, super close shave with only two passes, pretty much no razorburn. Great product. I almost dont even wanna fuck with the other blades in my sampler because these are so good.

Feather-Blade-Scaled1.png

Rep.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Tried Feathers for the first time today.

Best shave I've ever had. Hair falls off with no effort, super close shave with only two passes, pretty much no razorburn. Great product. I almost dont even wanna fuck with the other blades in my sampler because these are so good.

Feather-Blade-Scaled1.png

Rep.

LOL. I came in here to post this. I bought some Feathers online (didn't buy a sampler, just a pack of 10), and used them today after my shower. Best shave I've ever had. I also just got a Col. Conk soap. I'll give that a go on my next shave.

jiffy38

Well, I have been deliberating whether or not to take the plunge, put I do have sensitive skin and if this can possibly lead to a better shave I will try it. Just purchased these items from The Italian Barber:

Semogue 1305 Brush
Edwin Jagerr DE8911 Razor
50 Blade Sample pack (Feathers, Astra, Lord, ect)
Proraso sensitive aloe/green tea shave cream

Hopefully with some practice this can be a worthy $80 investment. You guys make me a believer.

XenoRaven

So I told my mom about all my new old-fashioned shaving stuff, and she told me that my dad used to have a gold-plated Gilette safety razor that he inherited from his dad or stepdad or something. Then she told me that she gave it away to my dad's sister after he died.

I need to see if I can get that thing back...

Giard

Hey EschatonDX and Extollere, want to buy my Feathers? :lol
I'm happy that you've found your ideal blade.

Well, I have been deliberating whether or not to take the plunge, put I do have sensitive skin and if this can possibly lead to a better shave I will try it. Just purchased these items from The Italian Barber:

Semogue 1305 Brush
Edwin Jagerr DE8911 Razor
50 Blade Sample pack (Feathers, Astra, Lord, ect)
Proraso sensitive aloe/green tea shave cream

Hopefully with some practice this can be a worthy $80 investment. You guys make me a believer.
Good choices all around! I hope you'll enjoy it.

So I told my mom about all my new old-fashioned shaving stuff, and she told me that my dad used to have a gold-plated Gilette safety razor that he inherited from his dad or stepdad or something. Then she told me that she gave it away to my dad's sister after he died.

I need to see if I can get that thing back...
It would be pretty awesome to have a razor that is passed on from generation to generation.

jcm

Well I just finished shaving with my shitty disposable razor when Amazon dropped off my DE, brush and soap. Guess I'll have to wait a couple days to use it now (I grow a very slow beard..)

On a side note, can anybody recommend a good glycerin shave soap? I ordered the proraso shave soap on Amazon without thinking and my wife noticed that it's full of of parabens and other nasty stuff (according to her) - she's the cosmetologist anyway, so I just have to take her on her word. Anyways, I'm on a hunt to find a more natural soap without giving up a good shave...

Hey Extollere, would you mind running this ingredient list past your wife? I'd be interested in the thoughts of a professional. Does she see anything terribly objectional? Would she use or recommend a product with these ingredients?

This is Castle Forbes Lime Essential Oil Shaving Cream. The package states "No parabens - No added colour - No animal products or testing - No fragrance - Only pure essential oils"

Ingredients: Aqua(Water), STearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Dipropylene Glycol, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime Essential Oil), Citric Acid, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylisothiazolinone, Potasium Sorbate, Limonene, Citral, Geraniol, Linalool.

Thanks in advance!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Been going through the blades in my sampler set. Moved from Merkur to Lords. They're alright. I put in the Feather blade this time around just to see what you guys are always blabbing about.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hey Extollere, would you mind running this ingredient list past your wife? I'd be interested in the thoughts of a professional. Does she see anything terribly objectional? Would she use or recommend a product with these ingredients?

This is Castle Forbes Lime Essential Oil Shaving Cream. The package states "No parabens - No added colour - No animal products or testing - No fragrance - Only pure essential oils"

Ingredients: Aqua(Water), STearic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Dipropylene Glycol, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime Essential Oil), Citric Acid, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylisothiazolinone, Potasium Sorbate, Limonene, Citral, Geraniol, Linalool.

Thanks in advance!

I ran it by her. Everything seems to be mostly safe or normal. There are some chemical compounds.. Triethanolamine and Phenoxyethanol are apparently relatively safe for use, but are also known skin irritants, and may cause dermatitis for some people (?). Methylisothiazolinone is a toxic ingredient that may cause allergic reactions. It is banned for use in cosmetics in both Canada and Japan. Some studies show that it might also be neurotoxic. Honestly though, I have no idea whether or not one should be using products with these ingredients. I don't know how much is in there, and to what degree it may (or may not be) harmful in actual use. I'd wager that it's fine, given that the amounts are probably miniscule -- but I'm not any kind of expert, and I also don't really know what kind of lifestyle you adhere to, or what kind of products you're okay with consuming.

Also, I found a cool thread with lots of product ingredients:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14631

and the lady says this is a decent place for some basic ingredient research:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

jcm

I ran it by her. Everything seems to be mostly safe or normal. There are some chemical compounds.. Triethanolamine and Phenoxyethanol are apparently relatively safe for use, but are also known skin irritants, and may cause dermatitis for some people (?). Methylisothiazolinone is a toxic ingredient that may cause allergic reactions. It is banned for use in cosmetics in both Canada and Japan. Some studies show that it might also be neurotoxic. Honestly though, I have no idea whether or not one should be using products with these ingredients. I don't know how much is in there, and to what degree it may (or may not be) harmful in actual use. I'd wager that it's fine, given that the amounts are probably miniscule -- but I'm not any kind of expert, and I also don't really know what kind of lifestyle you adhere to, or what kind of products you're okay with consuming.

Also, I found a cool thread with lots of product ingredients:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14631

and the lady says this is a decent place for some basic ingredient research:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
Thanks so much. I'll have to do some reading on the Methylisothiazolinone. Sounds like that's the most troubling ingredient. Thanks again.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Giard, I'll take those Feathers off you if you don't end up selling them to anyone else (located in Cali).

Anyways, my stuff - been using for about a week or two:

879987-VOAS1B6.jpg

I bought the usual suspects off of Amazon. There is some Col. Conk's soap in the black ceramic bowl. There is also a brush/razor stand behind the bowl there. I melted down the soap and poured it into the bowl and when it cooled it solidified and adhered itself pretty firmly to the inside. This makes lathering really really easy, and it shaves nicely. But I'll probably pick up some Tabac as well. The Feathers make for a really easy and comfortable shave, but I can't get quite as close as I'd like to going WTG. And trying to go against the grain with the DE89 (and these Feather blades) absolutely shreds my face. So not doing that... regardless, I had an incredible shave this morning, and I'm in love. Applied some witch hazel and moisturizer (after some cold water), and I've never felt better.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
working my way through my blade sampler pack. had to yank out a shark blade mid shave this morning, just wasn't working for me at all. hurt like hell and was irritating me pretty bad. the astra platinum's have been my favorite so far, but i really need to get some feather's to try out

Rhyvven

Neo Member
Wow, been trying to read through the thread and it just keeps growing...so I skipped a bit ahead. Have been wet shaving in the shower for years and using a Merkur with merkur blades for the past 5 years or so. "Entry level" badger brush if you will, maybe one grade up, don't recall. Not too fussy about the soaps. Is anyone using this method of shaving for shaving the entire head? I shave my face daily - by mid afternoon I can feel the stubble coming back out - however, I do not have that darkened patch/5'o'clock shadow look. So face daily and entire head every other day.

If I grew my hair back out I would have the Larry Fine basically. Years ago I decided to just start shaving it all off. When I switched from the 'Mach world" to my Merkur I loved the results on my face. I could not however get good results on the head. I have a fairly even shaped head and no "Klingon" ridge. I still use my brush and soap daily, but as of late have gone back to the Mach for both (forgive me...I know I could just switch back and forth in the shower, but too lazy I guess).

So has anyone had any luck getting decent results shaving your head? No need to recommend that razor that you "push" on your head. I CANNOT shave against the grain on my head. Instant red path followed by rash/bumps within 5 minutes.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So has anyone had any luck getting decent results shaving your head? No need to recommend that razor that you "push" on your head. I CANNOT shave against the grain on my head. Instant red path followed by rash/bumps within 5 minutes.

Nope... I tried shaving my head with Derby blades and for the first time knicked myself up all over the front and back. I've always shaved my head with a regular ass mach 3. The DE ate my head for breakfast. That and I shave my head quickly and carelessly, with good results. The skin on the scalp is taught and smooth for the most part. It's easy to be quick and rough with it (at least it is for me). The skin on the face and neck is far different and requires a more delicate approach for the best shave possible. Using this delicate approach is slow and cumbersome on the head, and only produces similar results at best I find. With the added risk of cutting yourself it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Ra1den

I've got a pack of Feather blades laying around, would I be insane to try shaving with just those blades and nothing to hold them in? Like just holding onto the blade with my hand.

ShaneB

I've got a pack of Feather blades laying around, would I be insane to try shaving with just those blades and nothing to hold them in? Like just holding onto the blade with my hand.

That sounds absolutely insane to me, so I guess the answer is yes.

mkenyon

Banned
Got the Merkur 30C Black
31EoeXDN4%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

To keep everything else consistent, I've used L'Occitane Cade Soap and oil (add a bit to the brush right before applying). Even kept my water temp about the same (already had the tools for it since I'm a coffee snob). Also using the Cade balm. I've used the cade soap and balm well before the recent switch to DE blades, as it works the best for me.

I've used the Astra Platinums, Gillette 7 Sharp Edge, Feather, and Merkur Platinums. The Merkur was the first one I used, so I don't know if it's a good sample on how well it worked. Astra so far is the best. Feather destroyed my face, despite it being the Saturday morning shave where I was extra patient and took my time being careful. I used the Gillette's this morning and they worked really well too, very little irritation.

Still to try: Derby Extra, Crystal/Israel, BIC Chrome Plat, DORCO Plat.

jiffy38

SO I am trying to decide which blade type to use first. I have quite sensitive skin and my options are Lord, Astra platinums, derbys, and feathers (which i obviously won't use first. Any advide on which may be best for a safer first attempt?

clav

SO I am trying to decide which blade type to use first. I have quite sensitive skin and my options are Lord, Astra platinums, derbys, and feathers (which i obviously won't use first. Any advide on which may be best for a safer first attempt?

Derbys will give you a mild shave.

zero_suit

I use Derbys.

Kosmo

Banned

Thank God for a fairly light beard! I usually just do one pass, then maybe a very light second if I want to be super smooth.

Giard

I received the RazoRock Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Aftershave Lotion...and sadly my face doesn't agree with it. My skin is too sensitive. :(

Esch

Banned
3rd feather shave. I'm thinking that these blades are actually at their perfect sharpness after they've been used a couple times
KuGsj.gif

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Okay, so after doing this enough to be accustomed with it, I am really happy with the results. However, since I can't shave ATG without fucking up my entire morning, I'm left with a shave that is very comfortable, but not quite as close as I'd like it... so what are my best options for getting a closer shave that doesn't involve shaving ATG? Should I try a different soap/creme? Try putting a little more pressure on the razor? Get better at holding it at the right angle? Try a different razor (the DE89 is said to be mild)? Something else???

miyuru

How many passes are you doing so far? I find even if you go two passes (one with the grain, the next across and not against) it's very close.

That and keep working on perfecting the angle IMO. You can also try playing with your lathering technique, i.e. maybe you can get less irritation with more or less water.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
How many passes are you doing so far? I find even if you go two passes (one with the grain, the next across and not against) it's very close.

That and keep working on perfecting the angle IMO. You can also try playing with your lathering technique, i.e. maybe you can get less irritation with more or less water.

2 to 3 passes. With and across. The soap and lather are fine. In fact, my lather is so foamy and rich, I could never believe that this came from a glycerin soap lol. I think I might be holding my razor at the wrong angle. I can hear the hair being cut, but I think maybe I need to try getting that blade more parallel to the face (maybe this would help cut the hairs closer to the surface of the skin).

zbarron

I jumped in yesterday. This company is actually located about a 15 minute drive away so I stopped in. It was nice being able to feel the razors in my hand and smell the soap myself. I went with a set and only upgraded the soap to blood orange scented which smells really great.

I went with this.
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/safety-razors-wet-shaving-kits/parker-91r-heavyweight-safety-razor-set
I got it before reading how incredibly aggressive it is. After watching a few videos and finding out I'm really good at making lather I shaved in the shower with no mirror. It went fine with no nicks but I did miss a spot on my chin completely. I'm thinking about getting some sharper blades.

mkenyon

Banned
Used the Israeli Crystal Reds today. The best for my face so far. Going to go back to Astra and Merkur after I'm done to make sure it wasn't just me learning that has helped.

Top Bottom