• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Arksy

Hey folks;

After reading the OP and and being kind of sick of disposable razors that blunt after three shaves I've decided that I want to join in. I have two questions.

1) Are these razors ok for those with sensitive skin?

2) Could someone recommend me a long handle safety razor? I went to my local shaver shop but the only safety razors they had were very short handled.

h3ro

Found my ideal blade. Derby. Goes perfectly with the grain of my face. Close shave no cuts.
I thought I had found my match with Astras, but recently tried a Shark blade, felt fantastic! I was getting a great shave with the SPs but had even less irritation with the Egyptian Sharks.
Hey folks;

After reading the OP and and being kind of sick of disposable razors that blunt after three shaves I've decided that I want to join in. I have two questions.

2) Could someone recommend me a long handle safety razor? I went to my local shaver shop but the only safety razors they had were very short handled.
1. Yup! I have sensitive skin and combined with my Sensitive skin Proraso soap, no issues.
2. I have large hands and was also worried about handle length. I've had no issues after getting my Edwin Jagger DE89L. Great razor and I highly recommend it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Truefitt & Hill sells a sample kit of their shave creams and aftershaves. It's $11 for fifteen 1- or 2-use samples, including sandalwood shaving cream and aftershave. Not sure it's exactly what you're going for, but I figure it's worth a try.

Thanks. I bought this kit and will give it a go!

edit: I didn't even see the price of the regular stuff. Yeesh, I may as well stick with AoS.

I haven't tried their Sandalwood scent, but Taylor of Old Bond St makes a high quality shaving cream that's less expensive than AoS.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Taylor-of-Old-Bond-Street-Shaving-Cream-Bowl-Sandalwood_p_58.html

Awesome.

Trevelyon

I thought I had found my match with Astras, but recently tried a Shark blade, felt fantastic! I was getting a great shave with the SPs but had even less irritation with the Egyptian Sharks.

Tried Sharks from a sampler last week. Felt really abrasive on my skin and snagged often (even with a good lathering of Bluebeard pre-shave oil) needed multiple passes on otherwise trouble free spots and a few nics & bumps (coming from Derby/Astra/Feather) it was a bit of a shock to be so uncomfortable shaving again.

All I have are Sharks left in the sampler (Astra plats ftw) might change the blade out just to see if wasn't just a bung blade, because it felt terrible.

How do you guys clean your razor?

I use an old Sonicare toothbrush head. Use hot water and some toothpaste; after a minute the metal will look good as new.

These were my two favorite blades as well (Shark Super Chrome). I went with Astra since it was a little bit closer shave and 100 blades were dirt cheap on Amazon.

Hey folks;

1. I have very sensitive skin, especially on my neck, and I've found that using the right soap or shaving cream and razor combo has pretty much made irritation and ingrown hairs a thing of the past. Astra Superior Platinum razors work best for me and I know a lot of others in the thread like them too.

2. I have large hands and was worried about the same thing but I haven't had any issues with my Merkur Classic. Regardless of whether you go for a short or long handle, I'm sure you'll love using a safety razor. Disposables really are total garbage. There's no going back!

Esch

Banned

People try to tier the blades a little too much. Yea the feathers, astra, wilkinson etc are all very good, but they might not be just the right grain for you. Only way to figure it all out is trial and error.

Jeff-DSA

So I went down this road and couldn't get a shave as close as the 4 blade monsters. I don't get it.

Anyway, I recently read about shaving without shave gel/soap/foam of any kind. I was extremely skeptical, but after doing it for a while it's worked out and I'm having less irritation. I just shave in the shower, and results have been awesome.

I'd like to give my wet shave kit another shot, but it's been so much faster and smoother going with just a water-only shave in the shower.

The Chef

Shaving my jawline and neck has become one of the most nerve-wracking exeriences for me. I nick myself EVERYTIME. I cant seem to get the angle right on this damn razor. Its seriously pissing me off.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Two questions,

- Does anyone here prefer Lord Platinum blades? A bundle came free with my razor, and I am okay with them. However, if they are considered peasant blades here, let me know. I want to shave in luxury.

-Does anyone here wipe/polish their razor after use? Chrome does not typically rust, but I am wondering if permanent stains can occur if water just sits on the surface.

Broseybrose

-Does anyone here wipe/polish their razor after use? Chrome does not typically rust, but I am wondering if permanent stains can occur if water just sits on the surface.

I mentioned this before; when finished shaving and rinsing my razor, while i let my aftershave set in, i towel dry/polish the 3 pieces of my EJ DE89 and reassemble. Takes 2-3 minutes. My razor always looks brand new.

Taborcarn

I tend to pat my razor dry with a towel after use, but I don't really "wipe" it. I try to avoid slicing the towel and getting fibers caught in the blade.

Broseybrose

I tend to pat my razor dry with a towel after use, but I don't really "wipe" it. I try to avoid slicing the towel and getting fibers caught in the blade.

Well, yes, i only pat dry the actual blade. I was talking about dry/polishing the pieces of the razor itself: The handle and two head pieces. The razor isnt assembled so theres no towel slicing.

Taborcarn

Well, yes, i only pat dry the actual blade. I was talking about dry/polishing the pieces of the razor itself: The handle and two head pieces. The razor isnt assembled so theres no towel slicing.

Yes that's what I was referring to as well, the actual razor head and handle. I don't do anything to the blade itself. I just don't remove the blade from the razor until I'm ready to dispose of it. So I only use patting motions on the rest of the razor to prevent an accidental slice. I really only fully disassemble the razor once a week, and then I give it a little extra cleaning with some rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.

Taborcarn

I'm probably not the best source of advice on this, but I've been on a drugstore AS kick lately. I've been going through all the classics, like Old Spice, Barbasol Brisk, Brut, Pinaud Clubman, and Aqua Velva (Ice Blue, Ice Sport, and Musk). So far the Barbasol is really the only one I haven't enjoyed. It may be an old man scent, but I love Clubman!

I do have a bottle on Speick lotion on the way though, I've heard a lot of good things about it's healing properties.

Broseybrose

What are the current thoughts on Aftershaves? I use Trumper Skin Food (Lime) but wouldn't mind making a change.

I just go for Nivea for men Sensitive Skin Aftershave Soothing Balm from Walgreens. It actually works and I have an absurdly sensitive face and neck.

I have some holiday money to blow so looking to get a silvertip brush. Anybody recommend one under $100?

I bought a 24m silvertip with marbled handle from Larry Andreassen at Whipped Dog last month. $26 is what he charged me. I absolutely love it. It's super nice. It says on the site he'll have more silvertips in this week. I wholeheartedly recommend buying a high quality product from a small time guy.

Taborcarn

I don't have one yet, but I've also heard great things about the silvertips from Whipped Dog. Excellent bang for the buck.

Last month I got a Monarch 2-band brush from Wet Shaving Products and I like it a lot. It has a very dense and soft knot that's comparable to the higher-end Simpson's brushes. I've heard good things about the Prince line of brushes from there too.

jcm

What are the current thoughts on Aftershaves? I use Trumper Skin Food (Lime) but wouldn't mind making a change.

I like a more lotion-ey aftershave in the winter. I can recommend the Nancy Boy Blossomwood balm and any of the Castle and Forbes balms. They are both scented with EO only, so the scent doesn't hang around long. The C&F is expensive, but you don't use much, so the bottle lasts for a long time. The Nancy Boy is very reasonable. and also lasts a long while. I'm a big fan of all of their products though.

The only gel I have used is TOBS sandalwood aftershave gel, and I don't much like it. It's too sticky and heavy for me. It's also very cologne-y, and it smells a bit old fashioned to me. My wife likes the smell, though.

If you like a splash, the Ogallala bay rum aftershaves are pretty nice. I especially like the Lime & Peppercorn and Sage & Cedar versions. I think they are too drying for winter though.

I bought a 24m silvertip with marbled handle from Larry Andreassen at Whipped Dog. last month. $26 is what he charged me. I absolutely love it. It's super nice. It says on the site he'll have more silvertips in this week. I wholeheartedly recommend buying a high quality product from a small time guy.

That is really cheap. I wonder how he is able to sell them for so little? There can't be a whole lot of silvertip knot suppliers around.

I bought a 24m silvertip with marbled handle from Larry Andreassen at Whipped Dog last month. $26 is what he charged me. I absolutely love it. It's super nice. It says on the site he'll have more silvertips in this week. I wholeheartedly recommend buying a high quality product from a small time guy.

Interesting, does he accept Paypal? Not finding a lot of ordering info.

Interesting, does he accept Paypal? Not finding a lot of ordering info.

I just checked my email from him and he accepts Paypal, and credit card.

Yeah, it's a pretty low tech operation - pick the knot size, "order product", "purchase", name+email+address and in the comment section add the handle you want from the ones he has in stock. Pottery handle colors are in the "pottery color" section.

After I sent the order, he got back to me within an hour or two with his paypal address and I paid him that way. He actually charged me less than the quoted price on his site. I got my brush in the mail 3 days later.

He, along with his family, run this small business to provide an almost at-cost service to the Badger&Blade community and maybe some other ones as well. Real nice guy.

Send him an email, and I'm sure he'll give you the latest on the silvertip availability. You could try Facebook too if you'd rather.

barrbarr

I thought this would be a good place to ask. I have two scars on the bottom of my chin, and they make it very hard to shave that area without cutting myself. Do any of you guys have any advice on how to properly shave around scars? Here's a pic so you guys know what I am dealing with.

http://i.imgur.com/DUqF5I0.jpg

linking because of size.

Does anyone have recommendations on aftershave type products to help with razorburn? I've been getting it on the bottom of my neck and it just looks bad so I want to try and fix it.

fmpanda

Does anyone have recommendations on aftershave type products to help with razorburn? I've been getting it on the bottom of my neck and it just looks bad so I want to try and fix it.

I use a combo of an Alum Block and then a Moisterizer, but I've heard of a product called Witch Hazel that works really well.

Ra1den

Just had my first wet shaving experience with a safety razor. After realizing I had the head on backwards (took me around 10 minutes to notice) it was smooth sailing. Damn, my face is SMOOTH. No cuts. I can't stop feeling it.

This chrome plated Edwin Jagger I got for 35 bucks from the 'Zon is a work of art. I got a blade sampler, the Derby I tried seems great.

Not exactly sure how I'll find the mythical 30 degree angle, but it seems going by feel works OK. And I didn't even use a brush, I just hand-applied some Musco Real from a tube.

Broseybrose

I haven't tried their Sandalwood scent, but Taylor of Old Bond St makes a high quality shaving cream that's less expensive than AoS.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Taylor-of-Old-Bond-Street-Shaving-Cream-Bowl-Sandalwood_p_58.html

Yes, this TOBS Sandalwood is what i use and its very good. Great smell.

And i have very sensitive skin, but Nivea for Men Post Shave Soothing Balm for Sensitive Skin is the best aftershave ive found. I sometimes get some redness on the neck still, but it only lasts for like an hour after the shave.

Ashhong

Sorry if this doesn't belong, but I didn't want to make a thread just for this question. Do you guys shave or trim your armpits? I've never really thought about it but my armpit hairs are quite long, and stick out when wearing a smaller shirt and raising my arms.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sorry if this doesn't belong, but I didn't want to make a thread just for this question. Do you guys shave or trim your armpits? I've never really thought about it but my armpit hairs are quite long, and stick out when wearing a smaller shirt and raising my arms.

I tried using a clipper with the longest setting possible, and it was still a disaster. It is a feeling beyond itch...almost pain. Never again. Granted, my armpit hair isn't that long.

Ashhong

I tried using a clipper with the longest setting possible, and it was still a disaster. It is a feeling beyond itch...almost pain. Never again. Granted, my armpit hair isn't that long.

Yea I'm worried about itching and such. I remember someone posted something about never shaving your ass so I thought this might be the same. I guess I should just trim?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yea I'm worried about itching and such. I remember someone posted something about never shaving your ass so I thought this might be the same. I guess I should just trim?

You will need to find a biiiiig clipper setting. If you trim with normal sized ones, it is still an awful experience. Trust me, it isn't worth finding out yourself, the hard way.

Ashhong

You will need to find a biiiiig clipper setting. If you trim with normal sized ones, it is still an awful experience. Trust me, it isn't worth finding out yourself, the hard way.

I meant trimming with some scissors to a more manageable length. Although now that I think about it, I have no idea how I will be able to cut it with 1 hand lol. Well this sucks

Never ever ever ever shave your armpits if you are a dude. Use a trimmer and don't cut it too short.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
West Coast shaving's stands are cool, and affordable.

j25BNPBEqh3DT.jpg

Decisions decisions....

jb1GAa60V9EQov.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming I'm doing it wrong when multiple passes at multiple angles barely seem to remove anything from my face (aside from the shaving soap the razor takes with it)

Sye d'Burns

I'm assuming I'm doing it wrong when multiple passes at multiple angles barely seem to remove anything from my face (aside from the shaving soap the razor takes with it)

I think that's a safe assumption. If I had to guess, I would say you're holding the razor at too shallow an angle and you're just scraping the cream from your face with the top of the razor. Still, with multiple passes, you'd think you would have at least removed some whiskers, if not skin, by accident.

Assuming, of course, that you remembered to put in a blade. :D

Taborcarn

West Coast shaving's stands are cool, and affordable.

Decisions decisions....

Thumbs up on the Old Spice and Clubman aftershave, I've really been enjoying them both lately.

For the blade sampler, just go alphabetically. You should try them all to form a solid opinion on what works for you.

Also (@ahoyhoy):
- the razor might just be too "soft" (blade angle, weight). My Merkur 34 HD gets me way cleaner than my Edwin Jagger 98 DL (or something), but it's also noticeably "harder"
- different blades lead to different results (in different razors). It's generally agreed upon Feather blades being the sharpest so try those.
- your beard hair did not erect out of your pores/follicles (shave right after/during a shower, produce good lather, let it come into effect before shaving)

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I hate to say this, but I dont think I reccomend the razo rock razors. The moving part in the center of mine must be rusty or something, because it is getting difficult to twist open. It was only 18, but I wish I would have bought something a little more pricey.

Top Bottom