• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Sye d'Burns

I'm looking @ getting a safety razor. Is it easy to cut oneself?

Yes. Do keep in mind that while it is easier to cut oneself, it isn't very likely at all to be a serious cut. They are, after all, called safety razors for a reason.

Modern razors have trained us that no matter how hard you push the myriad of blades into your face, you aren't likely to get more than a nick. Not so with a single or double edged blade. You'll learn relatively quickly that you only need to apply very little pressure at all to get a great shave with these razors.

My advice: Hold the razor softly against your face and then hold it softer still. If your angle is right, you'll have nothing to worry about.

No need to worry.

Spookie

No need to worry.

*Continues to worry anyway*

I should have:

Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream (150g, Sandalwood), Semogue Boar Shaving Brush Model 1520 & Edwin Jagger De89bl Safety Razor arriving this week. Can't wait to finally have a proper shave and get rid of these god awful king of shaves blades I've been using for the past two months. It feels like I've been hacking my face away!

Sye d'Burns

Does anyone else like the little sting you get when sealing up nicks with a styptic pencil?

Occasionally

*Continues to worry anyway*

I should have:

Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream (150g, Sandalwood), Semogue Boar Shaving Brush Model 1520 & Edwin Jagger De89bl Safety Razor arriving this week. Can't wait to finally have a proper shave and get rid of these god awful king of shaves blades I've been using for the past two months. It feels like I've been hacking my face away!

My first shave with a double edged razor was done using a rescued Gillette Tech. I was petrified. I just remembered two things, press lightly and move my arm, not my wrist. I came out of that shave with only a couple of small cuts. Actually, it wasn't until about my third week, overconfident and foolhardy, that I really tore my face up. Don't sweat it.

The worst cut I've given myself didn't happen until almost a year later and was on my right nostril. Darned thing bled for over an hour.

jcm

Occasionally
My first shave with a double edged razor was done using a rescued Gillette Tech. I was petrified. I just remembered two things, press lightly and move my arm, not my wrist. I came out of that shave with only a couple of small cuts. Actually, it wasn't until about my third week, overconfident and foolhardy, that I really tore my face up. Don't sweat it.

The worst cut I've given myself didn't happen until almost a year later and was on my right nostril. Darned thing bled for over an hour.

Ha, I was just about to tell him to watch out for his nose. That's my worst cut too.

Spookie

First shave down.

*swish* "Hmm did I do that right it didn't feel like I did anyth- holy shit where has the stubble gone!"

Man this is super slick, I could get use to this! I had a couple of nics (under my nose as you said) and it did take some arm gymnastics and manoeuvring of my head to make sure I was shaving my neck correctly but bloody hell that feels good, REALLY GOOD. Thanks GAF. :D

Sye d'Burns

First shave down.

*swish* "Hmm did I do that right it didn't feel like I did anyth- holy shit where has the stubble gone!"

Man this is super slick, I could get use to this! I had a couple of nics (under my nose as you said) and it did take some arm gymnastics and manoeuvring of my head to make sure I was shaving my neck correctly but bloody hell that feels good, REALLY GOOD. Thanks GAF. :D

Nononononono, not under my nose. It wasn't a cut under, or near, my nose; it was my actual nose. I caught the actual edge of my right nostril, very close to the base of my nose, with a razor.

I could not believe how much that thing bled. Styptic pencil did nothing. It took a few minutes just to get it staunched to the point that tissue would stick. I pulled the tissue 20 or so minutes later and it started right back bleeding where it had left off.

---

Take a deep breath and enjoy. It'll get easier still and, soon enough, you'll quit worrying and will begin to enjoy it.

Spookie

Nononononono, not under my nose. It wasn't a cut under, or near, my nose; it was my actual nose. I caught the actual edge of my right nostril, very close to the base of my nose, with a razor.

16m6ck3.gif

I never want to shave again. :(

I use a straight-razor, and one time I had just put the blade to my skin and I looked up and thought, "Boy, these bathroom lights are bright!" I looked back in the mirror and blood was flowing down my neck. Just a superficial cut, but a pretty wide one.

I could not believe how much that thing bled. Styptic pencil did nothing. It took a few minutes just to get it staunched to the point that tissue would stick. I pulled the tissue 20 or so minutes later and it started right back bleeding where it had left off.

I know the exact spot you mean. I've shaved using double edged razors for about 8 years now and I cut myself last year. The blood just wouldn't stop.

DJ_Lae

I'm looking @ getting a safety razor. Is it easy to cut oneself?

Not that easy.

I've been using mine for a couple of years now and I've only nicked myself twice - both times the very first time I actually used it. And that was an old as shit (~100 years) single bladed Gem Junior. A couple of weeks after I picked that up for cheap I got a regular double-bladed safety razor as replacement blades were much more common, and varied, and inexpensive.

Haven't cut myself with that at all, across a wide range of blades. That's not to say it's impossible, but in order to shave with them you have to hold it at a certain angle, and not apply a ton of pressure, and once you get the hang of that it's second nature.

Sye d'Burns

Not that easy.

I've been using mine for a couple of years now and I've only nicked myself twice - both times the very first time I actually used it. And that was an old as shit (~100 years) single bladed Gem Junior. A couple of weeks after I picked that up for cheap I got a regular double-bladed safety razor as replacement blades were much more common, and varied, and inexpensive.

Haven't cut myself with that at all, across a wide range of blades. That's not to say it's impossible, but in order to shave with them you have to hold it at a certain angle, and not apply a ton of pressure, and once you get the hang of that it's second nature.

Time for me to once again profess my love for Gem Razors. They're virtually all I use these days. Occasionally, I'll get a wild hair and pull out a DE, but it's definitely a rare moment these days.

I had always hated shaving due to the same types of issues the OP describes. I ultimately went the beardGAF route and kept either a goatee or full on beard for most of the last ten years.

Around a year ago, I had decided that I was done with wearing a beard and I shaved it off. I had a few Mach3 blades in the cabinet and I reveled in how much younger I looked until I had gone through my last blade.

My wife was at the store and was asking me which blades to get. I was completely floored by the price and decided to check if they were cheaper on Amazon. 30 dollars for 8 fusion blades is insane. Absolute insanity.

So I started looking around Amazon and I saw some of the Merkur razors and I was sold. Although, I went a slightly different route. While reading about safety razors, I figured I'd see what I could find on eBay. Don't discount eBay people. You can get a well made Gillette that will shave just as well as a new safety razor for much, much less.

In short order I had a cabinet of Gillette Techs, Super Speeds and even a Slim and a Fatboy (adjustables) when I ended up with a Gem 1912 in an group of three razors.

Stilllife07-1-1.jpg

Now, if double edge safety razors had been my previous nirvana, I had finally reached Shangri-La with the Gem 1912. The single edge blades, which you can get in a 10 pack for 5 dollars in the shaving section at Walgreens, shave so much better for me. Since that time, I have added a Gem Demaskeene, Gem Micromatic (open comb), Gem G Bar among others I can't speak highly enough about how well these razors shave.

Gem G Bar
IMG_8407.jpg

Gem Demaskeene
DSCI0574.jpg

Gem Open Comb Micromatic
IMG_5703.jpg

The rest of the start up costs can be just as cheap. Get a tube of Proraso for $11 and an Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush for $14. After an initial cost of not much more than those 8 fusion blades, you can now enjoy a lifetime of cheap shaving.

For the record, though I own the razors, three of the four pictures above are examples from google.

Edit: Ha! I just realized that I originally wrote that post in response to your post with your grandfather's Gem!

Woffls

Tried this a bunch of times but only with disposables so I might invest in some proper stuff and try again. I have a pretty stubborn beard, so I just assumed old school blades wouldn't cu... ugh... cut it :\

What should someone in my situation be trying? I can tell electric razors are chopping up my skin, and they don't do a good job anyway.

Are there any really good disposables that I can try out just to see if wet shaving is going to work out for me and if I can be bothered....?

Thanks gaf

Sye d'Burns

Tried this a bunch of times but only with disposables so I might invest in some proper stuff and try again. I have a pretty stubborn beard, so I just assumed old school blades wouldn't cu... ugh... cut it :\

Man, are you in for a wondrous delight. I have a thick beard and I've shaved off three weeks worth of growth in one pass, with an additional pass for minor cleanup. No stopping every 8th of an inch like you would see with a Mach 3. Larger gap plus thicker blade. It's fantastic.

What should someone in my situation be trying? I can tell electric razors are chopping up my skin, and they don't do a good job anyway.

Are there any really good disposables that I can try out just to see if wet shaving is going to work out for me and if I can be bothered....?

Thanks gaf

I'm probably a bit of a rarity because I encourage people to look to eBay. You can get a fine vintage razor for between 10-20 dollars, clean it up and be good to go. Or, you could go new and spend, what 30-40 bucks.

Taborcarn

Bic Sensitive or Bic Metal disposables are single bladed, so they would be the closest comparison if you didn't want to get a safety razor.

On another note, I picked up a Gem Jr. Single edge razor in an antique shop a couple weeks ago. After a good cleaning I really like how it works. Very effective. But I don't think I'm giving up my DE's just yet.

Spookie

Mine is fairly shitty and I have extremely thick stubble so it clogs up razors almost straight away. So often it use to feel like I was trying to shave a small hedge. My first shave with a SR, as you can see from above, was super smooth. :D

ramyeon

So I've been meaning to seriously get into this for awhile now. Is there anyone here from Australia that knows good sites that ship within Australia for decent prices? A lot of what I've found is inflated.

Totalriot

Just found this Thread, great work!

I am interested in trying this. I have very sensitive skin, if I shave more then once a week, my face burns and glows for a day or two. Would a razor be less hazardous for my skin?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

I am interested in trying this. I have very sensitive skin, if I shave more then once a week, my face burns and glows for a day or two. Would a razor be less hazardous for my skin?

I think the main advantages that come with switching to DE shaving are a closer shave, and less or no red bumps. From what I have read, those are caused by passing with multiple blades.

I haven't bothered to read more about that, but I stopped getting bumps when I switched to this. I don't really know how sensitive skin factors in.

Totalriot

I think the main advantages that come with switching to DE shaving are a closer shave, and less or no red bumps. From what I have read, those are caused by passing with multiple blades.

I haven't bothered to read more about that, but I stopped getting bumps when I switched to this. I don't really know how sensitive skin factors in.

I see, thank you. I think I will try it, anyway. Having just one blade running over your skin must better than multiple ones, I guess.

Sober

Switched to wet shaving since last Movember, really like it. Been using disposables for the moment and shave gel. I've seen shave creme, how different is that really?

Also I have a bit of an issue when shaving against the grain on my upper lip. I don't think it's an issue with multi blades, it's that if I do a pass against the grain, it tears like fuck if I pull my upper lip taut (not with my fingers though) and then I pretty much have a really bloody upper lip as a result. Is there anything I can do about that? I don't have too much of an issue if I just leave my upper lip relaxed as I do a pass but it doesn't seem as close for long.

Also I know disposables are disposables but is there something I can do to maintain them a bit better? I think I've been tossing them after 3 times or so and the ones with the aloe (?) strip wear out pretty quick, like maybe after the second time, it just doesn't exist. Should I really worry about that?

Jake.

So I've been meaning to seriously get into this for awhile now. Is there anyone here from Australia that knows good sites that ship within Australia for decent prices? A lot of what I've found is inflated.

i have been using westcoast shaving for years with no problems, they are fantastic. based in the US but great prices and one of the few that don't extort you on shipping prices.

Skunkers

I just started.

When I first joined the military at 19 I just needed an electric razor. Soon after I started growing more than peach fuzz and switched to the typical Mach3 + Fusion Gel and I've been doing it ever since. A few months ago I ran out of my gel while staying at a hotel so I went down to the lobby and got the only shaving cream they had, a little can of Barbasol. Started using it and the feel and scent immediately reminded me of when I was a kid and my dad was shaving and he gave me a little disposable that had no blades in it and I would pretend shave next to him. Nowadays I know he actually uses a shave soap bowl and such.

My friend and I were walking through International Mall in Tampa and they have an Art of Shaving store there. We both decided to give it a shot, so I just picked up a little Art of Shaving starter kit (Little brush, Sandalwood Pre-shave Oil, Shaving Cream, and Balm). Only done it a couple of times and I'm still using my Mach3, but the feel of the shave is outstanding. My face feels and smells wonderful several hours after a shave. I'm sold for life. I remembered this thread and I think I'm definitely gonna go out and get a proper safety razor, and try a few other creams.

eastmen

Banned

I have very sensitive dry skin and I would get red patches that would shed. Using this method I have less problems.

Remember the brush also helps to exfoliate your skin. So its going to help scrub away any dead skin on the surface.

I use kiss my face which you can get online or at whole foods. I use the green tea / bamboo one

DJ_Lae

Time for me to once again profess my love for Gem Razors. They're virtually all I use these days. Occasionally, I'll get a wild hair and pull out a DE, but it's definitely a rare moment these days.

Edit: Ha! I just realized that I originally wrote that post in response to your post with your grandfather's Gem!

Oh man, that's a weird coincidence.

I enjoyed using that razor and I wish the blades were a little more common. When I can get a box of DE Feathers for less than 25 cents a blade, the single bladed ones are more than twice as expensive and don't seem to last any longer. I do like the feel of the Gem, though, it's got a nice weight to it, but no one seems to sell blades locally so I'd have to pay shipping for tiny blade orders and ultimately it wasn't very convenient.

Still a neat feeling to be using something so old, though.

stn

Need advice. What can I use to shave around the more sensitive areas of the nuts? I have mini scissors and can clean it up given time, but it takes so long! I'm scared as heck to use an actual razor.

Sye d'Burns

Oh man, that's a weird coincidence.

I enjoyed using that razor and I wish the blades were a little more common. When I can get a box of DE Feathers for less than 25 cents a blade, the single bladed ones are more than twice as expensive and don't seem to last any longer. I do like the feel of the Gem, though, it's got a nice weight to it, but no one seems to sell blades locally so I'd have to pay shipping for tiny blade orders and ultimately it wasn't very convenient.

Still a neat feeling to be using something so old, though.

I know there are a variety of single edge blades available online but I think Gem blades are pretty much the ones to top. Do you have a Walgreen's nearby?

Even in bulk, single edge blades work out to be a little more expensive than double edged blades, but compared to the disposable prices, it's a minor quibble to me. Ten for $5-5.50.

There is nothing like the sound a Gem makes when it mows those whiskers down.

DJ_Lae

I know there are a variety of single edge blades available online but I think Gem blades are pretty much the ones to top. Do you have a Walgreen's nearby?

Even in bulk, single edge blades work out to be a little more expensive than double edged blades, but compared to the disposable prices, it's a minor quibble to me. Ten for $5-5.50.

There is nothing like the sound a Gem makes when it mows those whiskers down.

Not here in Canada, unfortunately. I believe I have seen some cheap Wilkinsons before, but usually the only time I ever see those style of blades are in hardware stores and I'd imagine they're not the same at all.

Sye d'Burns

Not here in Canada, unfortunately. I believe I have seen some cheap Wilkinsons before, but usually the only time I ever see those style of blades are in hardware stores and I'd imagine they're not the same at all.

Ha! You'd be correct that hardware blades would be a recipe for disaster.

I know there are some places that sell Gem surgical blades in bulk. They're supposedly very good, which I imagine they would be considering the intended use. I'll see if I find a site that sells them. I can't remember the cost right off-hand. I'll post what I find particularly if they ship to Canada.

edit: Wow! This is a great thread. This post gives some excellent information.

HoosierTrooper said:
One of the most commonly asked SE related questions is: Where can I buy blades for my SE? I have put together a guide that I hope will help SE fans find their perfect blade.

American Safety Razor/Personna is by far the largest producer of single edge blades that are suitable for shaving. They manufacture the Treet, Gem Blue Star, CVS brand and PAL blades. Treet, Gem Blue Star and CVS blades are uncoated carbon steel blades that come packaged in a grey, vault type dispenser that has a slot to place used blades in. They have 009 RD stamped on the spine, which denotes the blades thickness, .009 inches, and RD is for regular duty. It is possible that these are the same blades, I have used a large number of each and cannot tell them apart.

PAL blades are also carbon steel but have a dark blue coating, and have the word PAL stamped on the spine. I have never found PAL blades in any retail stores, but it appears they come individually wrapped in cardboard sleeves and in the ASR vault dispenser. The medical supply sites that I will talk about later sell PAL blades in bulk amounts.

Carbon steel blades will rust or tarnish if they are left in the razor wet. I remove the blade after each use, place it in a folded hand towel and “pat” dry, then store in a small plastic container that has a cotton ball and sometimes a desiccant pack. Even doing this the blades will sometimes develop dark spots on the sides but I have never experienced any rust or tarnish on the blades edge.

Treet blades are carried by Rite Aid drugstores, and of course the CVS blades are available at CVS. The Gem Blue Star and PAL blades are carried by various independent drug and grocery stores, and at some of the large chain drugstores. I have found Treet’s at IGA grocery stores and Gem Blue Star blades at Family Drug.

ASR also make stainless steel SE blades that are carried primarily by Walgreens drugstores, but they may also be found at independent drug and grocery stores. The stainless blades also come in the same vault type dispenser as the carbon steel brands, but have GEM and STAINLESS stamped on the spine. The package sold at Walgreens doesn’t indicate that they are coated, but some members here and at other boards have contacted ASR and were told they are. I cannot confirm this.

ASR also supply blades in bulk amounts to supply companies for use in medical equipment; the two largest of these are www.tedpella.com and www.emsdiasum.com
Individuals can purchase blades from these medical supply sites and they usually come with 100 blades packaged in white boxes with the blades individually wrapped in a protective cardboard sleeve. www.razorbladesandmore.com sell these boxes in 50 and 100 count.

In addition to the retail stores and medical supply sites most of the SE blades can be purchased at online sites such as Amazon www.razorbladesandmore.com www.westcoastshaving.com and others.

Feather makes a single edge blade that was originally made to fit in their brand of razors, but these blades also work in the Valet Auto Strop razors. The Feather blades differ from the standard SE blade in three ways. First, they do not have a spine, second they have cutouts in the body of the blade so they will fit in the Valet models that were made originally to use only the Valet proprietary blades, and third, they lack the cutouts on the sides so they will not work in the Micromatic razors.

The Feather blades will work "spineless" in some of the Gem/Star/Ever-Ready SE razors and can be used in others by adding a spine from an SE blade. Before using a Feather blade test it to make sure the blade doesn't slide backwards in the frame, the spine on an SE helps hold the blade in place.The only vendor I know of that currently stocks the Feather blade is www.razorbladesandmore.com

The third company that markets SE blades is Dorco of Korea. They probably make the house brand blades for stores such as Meijer, Dollar General and Family Dollar. I've looked at these blades and the package just usually says Made in Korea, but, since Dorco is the only known razor blade company in Korea it is logical to assume they are making the blades for the stores mentioned above. Dorco also sells SE blades that aren't specifically labelled as shaving blades. I've tried them and they aren't very good.

I invite anyone that can add to this list, or correct any mistakes I've made, to please do so.
ASR/Personna carbon steel blades.

Sye d'Burns

In the course of helping you find a Canadian shipper, I just bought 200 Gem Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades for $34.95. So thanks for helping me spend money, I guess. :p

17¢ / blade. Not too shabby. I've read very good things about these blades. There's a good consensus that seems to think they're the same blades as the ones purchasable at Walgreen's mentioned earlier.

Speaking of those, I'm not sure, does the US Amazon ship general goods to Canada? If so Amazon has this

Gem Personnal Single Edge Stainless Steel Blades with Used Blade Vault, 10-Count Packages (Pack of 4)

for $13.89, which breaks down to about 35¢ a blade.

lingiii

Banned
Need advice. What can I use to shave around the more sensitive areas of the nuts? I have mini scissors and can clean it up given time, but it takes so long! I'm scared as heck to use an actual razor.

I use a trimmer with an 1/8th inch guard and then am MAD CAREFUL.

doesn't get you bare, but works well enough for me.

Ya if you haven't shaved your nuts in a while, best to use a trimmer first; otherwise shaving won't do much. Then I go with a disposable 3 blade like BIC. Probably the one area where I wouldn't use a single blade. Works really well.

Scrabble

While I've been doing this type of shaving for about a year or two i still haven't been able to avoid cutting my chin every time I shave. No matter what I do I will always get a small nick. I'm also forced to go against the grain to get an even remotely close shave, especially the neck.

jcm

Does anyone else like the little sting you get when sealing up nicks with a styptic pencil?
If you like the sting of the regular styptic pencil, you ought to check out the Pacific Shaving Company Nick Stick. It's even stingier, and leaves no residue.

While I've been doing this type of shaving for about a year or two i still haven't been able to avoid cutting my chin every time I shave. No matter what I do I will always get a small nick. I'm also forced to go against the grain to get an even remotely close shave, especially the neck.
I can't shave against the grain, so instead I shave with the grain twice. It gets pretty close, with much less irritation.

Sye d'Burns

If you like the sting of the regular styptic pencil, you ought to check out the Pacific Shaving Company Nick Stick. It's even stingier, and leaves no residue.

I can't shave against the grain, so instead I shave with the grain twice. It gets pretty close, with much less irritation.

Hah! I just noticed it was asked if we like the sting. I answered the question thinking he asked if we got the sting.

I guess I must. I use Superior 70 Bay Rum (65% S.D. alcohol by volume) for an aftershave.

ramyeon

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Muhle R89? This is my first safety razor and I was planning on getting the Merkur 34C but most Australian suppliers are sold out and said they haven't had stock in from Merkur for a few months now. Stumbled upon the R89 and it looks pretty solid.

Scrabble

Well I still get a very good shave and after a minute or so you wouldn't even know I cut myself. Maybe I'll shave across the chin a couple of times and see how that works out? It's literally impossible for me to shave my neck and jaw line downwards though because it's too much of an angle. Makes it very awkward to position the razor so shaving upward is really the only option.

Taborcarn

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Muhle R89? This is my first safety razor and I was planning on getting the Merkur 34C but most Australian suppliers are sold out and said they haven't had stock in from Merkur for a few months now. Stumbled upon the R89 and it looks pretty solid.

The R89 is a great choice. It's the same head as the Edwin Jagger DE89 with a slightly nicer handle. Very smooth, a good first safety razor.

ramyeon

The R89 is a great choice. It's the same head as the Edwin Jagger DE89 with a slightly nicer handle. Very smooth, a good first safety razor.
Great. I actually just pulled the trigger on it, along with a Muhle pure badger brush. Not cheap at all but I guess they're gonna last and when I consider how much I'm gonna save on those damn cartridges it makes sense. Gonna grab some shaving soap and a razor sampler set next and see how this goes.

Top Bottom