• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

h3ro

Disposable 2-blade razor and a handful of water splashed over the stubble and i'm good to go.

ibcuPvZoBHF0KQ.jpg

Judging by the avatar, you missed a few spots. Might have been better served with some lather and a nice blade. ;)

Eiji

My neck gets cut up a lot and I'm using a Parker 52 DE razor which isn't heavy and is for beginners with Gillete 7 'o clock blades. Sides are fine, chin and upper lip can get cut up too. I do pull the skin taught and use short strokes. I think it's because I get razor bumps after shaving which are still there in the next shave 3 days later which compounds the issue. I have thick stubble.

This is what I'm using pre-shave:

OmegaTube.jpg

Any advice? Maybe I should try Tend Skin?

Also, Merkur HD 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89?

Stuff arrived today, gave it a whirl. My Escali brush lost a quite a lot of hairs on its first use and it was annoying to pick out the hair from my face. But the sensation of brush with lather on my face was satisfying. Used the included Merkur blade that came with the 34C. I did 2 passes WTG and the process went pretty well aside from my stubble which gave a bit of resistance (I used the lowest setting on my trimmer yesterday so it was similar to about 5 days without shaving). Got a couple cuts to remind me but it feels nice overall. I'll try again in 2 days and see if it goes even better.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well I just bought a Razor (DE89), Brush (Tweezerman), and Soap (Prosaso) on Amazon. Guess I'm joining you guys. I really hope I like this...

ShaneB

Well I just bought a Razor (DE89), Brush (Tweezerman), and Soap (Prosaso) on Amazon. Guess I'm joining you guys. I really hope I like this...

:D

Let us know how it goes, I don't think there's been a single negative response in this thread for folks first attempts, so it's always cool to have another join in.

I decided to bite too. Better now than never I guess. Out of Stock when I ordered though so I hope they get more stock soon.

Can you still order even if they're out of stock, and get the lowered price later on? Great buy for any beginner (or for anyone who's looking for a new razor).

I'm pretty sure you can. I've done that with Amazon in the past and they always honor the price.

pax217

Can you still order even if they're out of stock, and get the lowered price later on? Great buy for any beginner (or for anyone who's looking for a new razor).

I've been using a straight razor for about a year, but no safety razor. Already got about 100 Derby razors, so I picked this up for my first safety. Thanks guys

I'm pretty sure you can. I've done that with Amazon in the past and they always honor the price.

I buy everything on Amazon, including a small minority of my groceries-- yes, they will.

Laekon

Just got mine in today so that sucks. Will be giving this a go tonight. Any recommendations on what blade to start with? My sample kit has the following

FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan)
BLUEBIRD (Europe)
DERBY (Turkey)
ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia)
ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia)
Super-Max Platinum (India)
Super-Max Stainless (India)
TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan)
7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia)
7 O'clock Super Platinum (Russia)
GOAL Stainless (India)
TREET Platinum

eastmen

Banned

Yea amazon will honor the price if it comes in stock. I ordered one hopefully i get it soon , i'm excited

Can anyone reccomend a good 20-30 brush . I have a travel sized one right now

Just got mine in today so that sucks. Will be giving this a go tonight. Any recommendations on what blade to start with? My sample kit has the following

BLUEBIRD (Europe)
DERBY (Turkey)
GOAL Stainless (India)
TREET Platinum

This is the greatest blade on the face of gods earth PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giard

BLUEBIRD (Europe)
DERBY (Turkey)
GOAL Stainless (India)
TREET Platinum
I'd say Derbys. I would not recommend Feathers for a beginner, try it out a little later on when you've improved your technique.

Yea amazon will honor the price if it comes in stock. I ordered one hopefully i get it soon , i'm excited

Can anyone reccomend a good 20-30 brush . I have a travel sized one right now
Do you want a boar or a badger brush? In that price range, you can get a great boar brush.

eastmen

Banned
whats the real diffrence between the too ? I have a brush from the art of shaving travel kit (it was $25 bucks so i said let me try out the whole wet shaving stuff) i have no idea what its made out of

Giard

whats the real diffrence between the too ? I have a brush from the art of shaving travel kit (it was $25 bucks so i said let me try out the whole wet shaving stuff) i have no idea what its made out of
Pretty sure Art of Shaving doesn't sell boar brushes, so you probably have a badger brush.
As for the differences, boars retain less water, but have more backbone. Their break-in period is longer than a badger's IMO. However, if you buy a good quality boar brush and be patient with it, it'll do a great job after a couple of weeks. Some people will say that boars are better than badgers for lathering hard soaps.

In your price range, if you wanna try out a boar, the Semogue 1305 is considered one of the best and can be found at around 20 bucks. OMEGAs have a good reputation too.

I'm not really knowledgeable with badgers in that price range though.

eastmen

Banned
thanks for the info , i use shaving cream not a soap though.

Are the boar brushes rough ? I have really sensitive skin which is why i'm trying all this .

Laekon

So got my razor, blades, and shaving cream today. I didn't take a shower but used a hot face cloth for 5 minutes or so to help soften things up. I think my big learning curve will be on the lather and my neck. The Taylor's cream seemed to dry out really fast. I didn't get a brush and bowl so not sure if it would have helped. The sides of my face are super smooth, a lot better then a normal Gillette fusion. Now one part of my neck didn't fair so well. While I can't see any cuts there was some bleeding and it feels irritated. Some parts of it are no better then with the Fusion. Oh I used a Derby blade.

Overall not a huge difference from just taking your time with a modern razor. I do see it being a lot cheaper in the long run though.

Just ordered my first batch of stuff: Merkur 180, Proraso soap, 15 Gillette 7 O'clock Super Steel blades, and a Tweezerman brush.

Basically what Amazon recommended to go with the Merkur except the blades.

Giard

thanks for the info , i use shaving cream not a soap though.

Are the boar brushes rough ? I have really sensitive skin which is why i'm trying all this .
They are rougher at first, but get softer as time goes. You'll probably prefer a badger though.

So got my razor, blades, and shaving cream today. I didn't take a shower but used a hot face cloth for 5 minutes or so to help soften things up. I think my big learning curve will be on the lather and my neck. The Taylor's cream seemed to dry out really fast. I didn't get a brush and bowl so not sure if it would have helped. The sides of my face are super smooth, a lot better then a normal Gillette fusion. Now one part of my neck didn't fair so well. While I can't see any cuts there was some bleeding and it feels irritated. Some parts of it are no better then with the Fusion. Oh I used a Derby blade.

Overall not a huge difference from just taking your time with a modern razor. I do see it being a lot cheaper in the long run though.
Did you have the shaving cream in a bowl or in a tube? In both cases, a brush will help, especially for the one in a bowl. For now, try wetting your face more before applying the cream and rub it in a little. I guess that might simulate a brush. :p

I think you'll see a bigger difference once you find your ideal blade and perfect your technique. Have fun!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
so am i crazy or is beard stubble much more harsh coming back in with this kind of shaving?

Broseybrose

Put my order in at amazon:

Edwin Jagger De89bl
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce
Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
10 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge

I will update after my first shave!

Ive been using cartridges since i started shaving. My beard grows in really thick. When i want a true baby face shave i go against the grain on my 3rd pass. In other words cartridges have served me well, but i love investing in something classy to save money down the road. All im saying is that i REALLY hope i can get as smooth of a shave with the safety razor.

Giard

Put my order in at amazon:

Edwin Jagger De89bl
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl, 5.3-Ounce
Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush
10 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge

I will update after my first shave!

Ive been using cartridges since i started shaving. My beard grows in really thick. When i want a true baby face shave i go against the grain on my 3rd pass. In other words cartridges have served me well, but i love investing in something classy to save money down the road. All im saying is that i REALLY hope i can get as smooth of a shave with the safety razor.
Be very careful using Feathers, especially if you're new to this! Good luck!

Truth101

Banned
Ugh... I generally don't ever cut myself anymore when shaving, but today I slipped up and sliced the inside of my nose. Sucker won't stop bleeding.

Mookee

Experienced DE shaver here and thanks to this thread tried the feather blades. AWESOME. Thanks gaf! Way better than the merkurs I was using.

jcm

Any recommendations for a more youthful scent, a series of Pre-Shaving Oil / Shaving Cream (love my lather) / Aftershave / Cologne?

I've tried now Truefitt & Hill Crafton and 1805, wife says both smell like an old gentleman. Their Sandalwood is a bit better, kinda like Polo Sports.

I used to like Tommy back in the day, and Blue Hugo. But it's hard to find a complete series with a younger scent.

You might like Acca Kappa 1869 if you want something traditionally masculine and cologne-ish. Don't be scared of the flowers, though. Castle Forbes Lavender is my hands-down, all-time favorite cream, and the aftershave balm is great too. My wife loves the way it smells, though it doesn't last long, because it's scented with only essential oils. CF Lime is really nice for the sumer, too.

I like the TOBS rose and lavender, too, but not as much as CF. Oh, and the Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn is pretty good stuff, too, especially for spring/summer.

so am i crazy or is beard stubble much more harsh coming back in with this kind of shaving?
I think it grows out further in a day, because you aren't cutting the hair below the skin like a multi-blade cartridge does.

Chittagong

Gold Member
4DtLZ.png

my pickups today. after testing a full sample bag of different shaving creams, aftershaves and colognes from Truefitt & Hill, I ended up picking Sandalwood as it was the most fresh, youthful out of them - reminds me of Polo Sport in fact.

Got a Sandalwood shaving cream, aftershave and cologne, plus a bottle of pre-shave oil. Can't wait to give it a go with my new Feather blades.

jcm, thanks for the suggestions, will hunt down those samples next.

Giard

^^
Looks nice!
I'd love to buy a fragrance soon, but I don't have a lot of money at the moment. I want to try D.R. Harris Arlington and Irisch Moos.

Received my vintage Gillette today, a 40s Style Super Speed. Cleaned it, disinfected it and polished it. Looks great for a razor that's almost 70 years old. I'll try it out and take some pics tomorrow.

h3ro

I think I'm getting the hang of this! Just did my second shave with my DE89L and I'm really starting to get comfortable with maintaining the proper blade angle. Love the smell of the Proraso lather. Feels fantastic. :)

Oh, here's a pic of my current kit:

UtHpc.jpg

Edwin Jagger DE89BL with included Derby blades
Proraso Ultra Sensitive Shaving Soap
Van De Hagen Pure Badger brush with apothecary mug/soap and stand.

Not the greatest kit, but it's doing a great job for me right now as I'm still learning the ropes. Loving the shave I'm getting!

Giard

Looking good h3ro! I have the same soap, I like it but I'd love to try other Italian soaps, like Cella and RazoRock. Using Tabac at the moment.

Here's the razor I bought last week, a Gillette 40s Style Super Speed:
iAY6GfR3jkejg.jpg

iFpursqIXzqqr.jpg

Looks better IRL than on the pictures I took, I feel almost bad showing them to you. :p
I cleaned it, disinfected it and then polished it. Looking at these pics, I should've used a different polish or spent a little more time on it. It's pretty shiny when I look at it. The TTO knob works perfectly, overall I believe it's in good shape for a razor that's over 60 years old.

I got a lot less irritation from the Feather blades using this razor than with my Merkur 38C (practically no burn from my alum), the shave was great too. Feathers are still not for me though... I'll buy some Astra SP blades when I get some money, might get a sample of Sharks too.

Incredibly timely! This ad is awesome, and I think it's destroying the site it's advertising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

Edit - should clarify that this is not exactly what we're discussing here, I just thought this would be a good place for it :p
:lol
The most expensive razor they offer has six blades. I said goddamn.

Luixfern

After lurking this thread I decided to join the brotherhood and jump in on a Edwin Jagger DE89. Now I only have to decide if I want the chromed out finish or the ebony... decisions decisions!

Giard

After lurking this thread I decided to join the brotherhood and jump in on a Edwin Jagger DE89. Now I only have to decide if I want the chromed out finish or the ebony... decisions decisions!
I think my favorite handle is the Barley one:
EdwinJaggerDE89BA11SafetyRazor5.jpg

DukeSucks

Been wet shaving for a few years now, love it.

I use a '50s Gillette Superspeed from eBay for $5
Mama Bear soap ( or the oil from Walmart if don't feel like lathering up), both around $5 I think
100 pack of Israeli Personna blades from eBay, around $10-$20
Tweezerman brush, $13
Shaving mug I found at goodwill in great condition, $1

Saved a lot of money over the expensive cartridges with a fairly inexpensive startup, and my shave is so much better.

Although I still get a cut every once in a while when I get careless, have to respect the blade lol

I've been noticing that when I use warmer or hot water to rinse the razor off, I cut easier. Happen to anybody else? I think it's because the hot sensation makes you forget there is a damn blade dragging across your face and you become cocky.

bob page

I've been noticing that when I use warmer or hot water to rinse the razor off, I cut easier. Happen to anybody else? I think it's because the hot sensation makes you forget there is a damn blade dragging across your face and you become cocky.

You're supposed to rinse it with hot water, haha. The hot water makes your hairs stand up more, creating an easier shave.

Top Bottom