• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Oh really? Thought I heard somewhere too hot can cause the blade to burn your face since it's so thin. Guess I'll try this next time lol.
Well you certainly don't have to use boiling hot water. I don't think the water out of the tap gets hot enough to really do anything harmful. Unless the water heater is set improperly or something.

ShaneB

:(

All you people with your perfect skin, I'm jealous.

I need to not shave in the morning, I'm often in a rush and it just makes things worse. And I need to order different blades asap. The feathers are cutting up my face horribly, and it feels like whatever I'm doing now is making my complexion look worse than it did before I started =/

bob page

I need to not shave in the morning, I'm often in a rush and it just makes things worse. And I need to order different blades asap. The feathers are cutting up my face horribly, and it feels like whatever I'm doing now is making my complexion look worse than it did before I started =/

Just shave at night. I'm very prone to breakouts and used to suffer from cystic acne- every time I shaved in the morning I would go to work with a red face. Shaving at night allows the redness to subside while sleeping and I find that it's worth it to wake up with a slight stubble instead.

Lucius86

Banned

I love my DE, but sometimes I do get a nick with my feathers a little too often for my liking, and it annoys me all day :-/

I still have 2 packs left, so I may get another "everyday" pack to try out, and save the feathers for when I have the time to shave properly and not tired i.e. getting ready for a gentleman's night out.

ShaneB

Just shave at night. I'm very prone to breakouts and used to suffer from cystic acne- every time I shaved in the morning I would go to work with a red face. Shaving at night allows the redness to subside while sleeping and I find that it's worth it to wake up with a slight stubble instead.

Yeah, that was my logic as well, knew sleeping shortly after would take care of any redness and easily avoiding that problem over the work day. Guess I'll start making it a regular habit than to shave at 11:30 before bed.

I love my DE, but sometimes I do get a nick with my feathers a little too often for my liking, and it annoys me all day :-/

I still have 2 packs left, so I may get another "everyday" pack to try out, and save the feathers for when I have the time to shave properly and not tired i.e. getting ready for a gentleman's night out.

Yeah, I can tell they're fantastic blades, but I need something else for my skin and beginner skill set at the moment.

jcm

You guys that are just starting out ought to get blade sampler packs. You can never tell what you'll wind up liking. The blades are so cheap that if you run into one you don't care for, throw it away and try another. For my face, the red Personnas and Shark are my favorites. I never would have figured that out without buying a sampler.

Lucius86

Banned
You guys that are just starting out ought to get blade sampler packs. You can never tell what you'll wind up liking. The blades are so cheap that if you run into one you don't care for, throw it away and try another. For my face, the red Personnas and Shark are my favorites. I never would have figured that out without buying a sampler.

Aye - will be doing this.

Is there a particular sampler set you recommend on Amazon? I know very little about each of the brands in the samplers I see there, so it's hard to make an educated decision. So far I've only used Merkurs because they came with my Merkur 34C. Definitely ready for an upgrade.

Giard

Is there a particular sampler set you recommend on Amazon? I know very little about each of the brands in the samplers I see there, so it's hard to make an educated decision. So far I've only used Merkurs because they came with my Merkur 34C. Definitely ready for an upgrade.
I don't go on Amazon.com, but here are some recommended blades that are often talked about:

Astra SP
Shark Chrome
Personna Red
Personna Med/Lab
Feather
Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

You might wanna look for a sampler pack that includes some of these.

TCRS

Banned
I'm going to order this sampler pack:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00439FILU/

So far I have only tried the Derby blades that came with my razor and I'm no very impressed I have to say. They're quite dull imo. I've also bought a cheapo Wilkinson badger and Palmolive shaving stick from Tesco. I love it, I can make a pretty good lather with it. And it's so cheap, costs ~60p lol.

Is this a good alum block:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00278HHLS/

? That guy in the video rubs it on his face to get rid of more stubborn stubble. I think I need something like this.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well I just finished shaving with my shitty disposable razor when Amazon dropped off my DE, brush and soap. Guess I'll have to wait a couple days to use it now (I grow a very slow beard..)

On a side note, can anybody recommend a good glycerin shave soap? I ordered the proraso shave soap on Amazon without thinking and my wife noticed that it's full of of parabens and other nasty stuff (according to her) - she's the cosmetologist anyway, so I just have to take her on her word. Anyways, I'm on a hunt to find a more natural soap without giving up a good shave...

clav

Well I just finished shaving with my shitty disposable razor when Amazon dropped off my DE, brush and soap. Guess I'll have to wait a couple days to use it now (I grow a very slow beard..)

On a side note, can anybody recommend a good glycerin shave soap? I ordered the proraso shave soap on Amazon without thinking and my wife noticed that it's full of of parabens and other nasty stuff (according to her) - she's the cosmetologist anyway, so I just have to take her on her word. Anyways, I'm on a hunt to find a more natural soap without giving up a good shave...

I wonder about the concerns for certain chemicals and cancer.

Studies that show cancer in parabens usually require a huge concentration to show its carcinogenic properties, and that kind of test environment is similar to how sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) tests were conducted. People still freak out about how SLS is used in shampoos and toothpastes because a study proved lab rats exposed to high levels of SLS grew cancer cells.

Your wife is right in terms of showing concern as much cosmetic stuff sold in this market is mostly unregulated. A lot of people don't know what other chemical properties are in these products and what they do to their skin.

Yesterday, the FDA released a report alarming people that mercury can be found in certain skin products: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm294849.htm

-------------

As for alternative soap, I'm looking as well. The parabens are used in creams as an antimicrobial/antifungal agent, so you can start looking for bar soaps.

jcm

I bought my sampler from West Coast Shaving, but they don't sell the same one I bought anymore. On Amazon, I'd probably grab this one, even though it's not Prime eligible, and the per-blade cost is a bit high. It's a really good selection.

I use creams, not soaps, but the creams I use are all paraben free. Castle Forbes, Taylor of Old Bond Street, and Edwin Jagger are all highly recommended. TOBS and EJ make paraben-free soap, too, and that's probably good, but I've never personally used it. EJ advertises that their cream is 99% natural and paraben free. CF is paraben-free and only uses essential oil for fragrance, and is my favorite cream, but it's expensive. TOBS says it's paraben free on the tub.

Oh, also Nancy Boy cream is also paraben free and highly recommended. It's not actually formulated for brushes, but it works well, smells great, and only uses essential oils. You've got to be comfortable with your masculinity to display the products though. ;) They have lots of great products. Their regular bars of bath soap are great. I don't think they make a shaving soap though.

Giard

You're unlucky, because Proraso changed the formula in their soap recently! They removed the parabens and sodium lauryl sulfate IIRC. We should see the new product very soon.

I'm guessing you want a glycerin soap because you don't want tallow in it for a reason or another? Here's some suggestions...

Mama Bear Shaving Soaps
RazoRock King Louis Lavender Artisan Shaving Soap
Martin de Candre - site is being updated though...expensive but considered one of the best
Colonel Conk

jcm said:
Oh, also Nancy Boy cream is also paraben free and highly recommended. It's not actually formulated for brushes, but it works well, smells great, and only uses essential oils. You've got to be comfortable with your masculinity to display the products though. ;) They have lots of great products. Their regular bars of bath soap are great. I don't think they make a shaving soap though.
Calling the company that seems like awful marketing at first glance! But I did hear good things from their products.

Carlisle

This thread is awesome. I've been so eager to start wet shaving or straight-edge shaving for like 3 years now, but never get the motivation to actually buy the products I need. Think I might make a stop at the art of shaving soon and take a look around.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
You're unlucky, because Proraso changed the formula in their soap recently! They removed the parabens and sodium lauryl sulfate IIRC. We should see the new product very soon.

That sucks. Well it's not like I can't just order another one in the near future... though I'd be much more willing to do this if I could know which version I'm buying beforehand..

I'm guessing you want a glycerin soap because you don't want tallow in it for a reason or another? Here's some suggestions...

Eh, not really. I don't think I care about tallow. I don't live a vegan lifestyle and I don't particularly care either way. It has more to do with harmful and/or toxic ingredients being used in products I'm going to consume or put on my skin. It doesn't have to be glycerin necessarily. Maybe I'll check out the Edwin Jagger creams... not really sure what I wanna try yet. Are glycerin soaps more difficult to shave with?

Luixfern

Got my Edwin Jagger DE89 in today and did my first shave. Gotta say, I am a convert. Extremely close, smooth shave. Got a nick but that's because i got too comfortable and started going fast. I'm excited about how much money I am going to save. fuckin cartridges are expensive.

clav

Thinking about trying the Trader Joe's shaving cream (honey variety). Supposedly brushless (no badger brush required) and affordable.

Anyone use TJ's healthcare products?

Also looking at Speick's shaving cream. No parabens. Small tube though.

----------

Side note: The FDA published an article some time ago regarding parabens in cosmetics.

http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/selectedcosmeticingredients/ucm128042.htm

Basically says they are safe until proved otherwise.

Giard

That sucks. Well it's not like I can't just order another one in the near future... though I'd be much more willing to do this if I could know which version I'm buying beforehand..
They look quite different, here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/278770-***NEW***-Proraso-Green-line
If the pics don't work for you, I'll re-host them.

Extollere said:
Eh, not really. I don't think I care about tallow. I don't live a vegan lifestyle and I don't particularly care either way. It has more to do with harmful and/or toxic ingredients being used in products I'm going to consume or put on my skin. It doesn't have to be glycerin necessarily. Maybe I'll check out the Edwin Jagger creams... not really sure what I wanna try yet. Are glycerin soaps more difficult to shave with?
Most people tend to prefer tallow-based soaps, but that's not to say that soaps without tallow suck. Here's another B&B topic that might interest you:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/84547-Thoughts-on-tallow-based-soaps-vs-non-tallow-soaps

clav

I tried shaving with regular liquid hand soap today, and surprisingly, only got one small nick when going against the grain.

Definitely is all about technique.

Will be trying the TJ's shaving cream soon.

I keep cutting my mole next to my nose. It's like a fucking virgin mary statue constantly bleeding.
LLShC.gif

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I just bought a bar of Colonel Conk soap for about 4 bucks on Amazon. I'm still interested in that Proraso though, I couldn't open the images since I'm not registered there. Regarding tallow soaps... is this the same thing as a "solid soap" ? I couldn't find any item of interest on Amazon. Well, I'll check out the Col. Conk when it arrives. Going to give wet shaving a go tomorrow morning with the Proraso I've got.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Perhaps I'll try the Tabac shaving soap next. Seems to be a favorite, and I like that it comes in a nice thick ceramic bowl.

Giard

I just bought a bar of Colonel Conk soap for about 4 bucks on Amazon. I'm still interested in that Proraso though, I couldn't open the images since I'm not registered there. Regarding tallow soaps... is this the same thing as a "solid soap" ? I couldn't find any item of interest on Amazon. Well, I'll check out the Col. Conk when it arrives. Going to give wet shaving a go tomorrow morning with the Proraso I've got.
Here are the Proraso pics:
Marco at B&B said:

Some soaps with tallow in it can be considered soft, take Cella or most RazoRock products for example. Tabac also has tallow but is a hard soap.

Perhaps I'll try the Tabac shaving soap next. Seems to be a favorite, and I like that it comes in a nice thick ceramic bowl.
It's the one I'm using at the moment. Everyone loves Tabac's lather. However, you'll either hate or love its unique smell!
I hope you'll enjoy your first wetshaving experience!

As for me, I've discovered a guy on B&B that makes his own soaps. The ingredients look really nice, so I might order one from him..
Mike's Natural Soaps

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
That ingredient list looks a lot better than the one on the back of my Proraso! Also, I wanted to thank you for creating this thread and for being so helpful. I've always hated shaving, and while I had given wet shaving some thought (more of an afterthought really), I finally went and purchased some stuff after reading your OP.

Gregorn

I just tried wet shaving for the first time today and everything is smoother apart from the top of my lip, I could never shave it well with disposables and thought this might help. I'm guessing it's something to do with my technique, the blade just doesn't want to cut as close as it does everywhere else on my face.

Broseybrose

Nice. Yesterday my Edwin Jagger DE89 came in, along with my shaving brush and feather blades. Im so damn impressed by the fully chrome-plated look and weightiness of the DE89. Seems like the Rolls Royce of DE razors.

Im expecting my Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap to arrive today and am looking forward to testing everything out. Ive even got nivea shaving balm which i normally dont need shaving with cartridges. But if Im going all out, Im going all out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just tried wet shaving for the first time today and everything is smoother apart from the top of my lip, I could never shave it well with disposables and thought this might help. I'm guessing it's something to do with my technique, the blade just doesn't want to cut as close as it does everywhere else on my face.

If your blade has a rounded top, have the rounded part follow your nose contour and curve it down from there.

I had huge problems with some hair always left on the upper lip before I saw this dude do it, check from 05:35 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XTh7AAlJDE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jcm

Please post your impressions once you try them out!

Which ones? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I ordered the Lavandin & Eucalyptus, Rose & Cedarwood, and Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper. He emailed me this morning that they will ship Monday. He's in NY, so I should get it here in DC by Wednesday, and then I'll post some impressions.

I've never shaved with a tallow or lanolin soap, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Giard

That ingredient list looks a lot better than the one on the back of my Proraso! Also, I wanted to thank you for creating this thread and for being so helpful. I've always hated shaving, and while I had given wet shaving some thought (more of an afterthought really), I finally went and purchased some stuff after reading your OP.
No problem! No need to thank me. I'm not an expert at this at all, I've only been doing this for 2 years or so, but I'm passionate about it. It made me enjoy something I hated doing, and I saved money while having fun!

I ordered the Lavandin & Eucalyptus, Rose & Cedarwood, and Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper. He emailed me this morning that they will ship Monday. He's in NY, so I should get it here in DC by Wednesday, and then I'll post some impressions.

I've never shaved with a tallow or lanolin soap, so I'm looking forward to trying it.
I'd love to smell the Barber Shop one too. Orange is the one I was most interested in, hope you're gonna like it.

I think I'm gonna put most of my remaining Feather blades on eBay soon. I would put them on the B/S/T on Badger & Blade, but I don't have enough posts. 80 Feather blades for 28 bucks seems reasonable...

XenoRaven

So I switched from soap to cream and I like it a lot better. I heard my local Nordstrom carries some wet shaving stuff so I picked up some TAOS pre-shave oil, cream, and post-shave balm. Of course, the second I step out of Nordstrom into the mall, I see a giant banner for a new TAOS store...

So far I've had some success with Feather and Rainbow blades. It sucks because my skin is kind of sensitive, but I feel like my hair is really tough. So I'm trying to balance sharp blades with a careful technique. I'll try some of the other blades listed on this page. I'm also considering trying a different safety razor. Probably one that isn't slanted.

The aftershave I'm using I tried because it was in an "Aftershave of the Month" thread at Badger and Blade.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RGOC2K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I like it a lot. It's got a cool look to it and it smells like lavender with a hint of citrus.

Giard

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Well that was awesome. I'm not gonna lie, I feel like a boss right now. However, I did get some irritation and redness around the neck. Hmmm maybe I just need to get used to it.

Broseybrose

Just had my first shave with my EJ DE90, feather blades, and all my other nice gear.

I really made a big deal in my mind about nothing. Shaving with a DE does require more skill than carts, but its not at all hard.

However i havent yet decided if its better.

Impressions compared to regular cart shaving are; its harder to be thorough and i get razor burn trying to get everything baby smooth.

I assume as my technique improves ill be able to get a shave as close and thorough as carts without the burn.

DonCuco

Just had my first shave with my EJ DE90, feather blades, and all my other nice gear.

I really made a big deal in my mind about nothing. Shaving with a DE does require more skill than carts, but its not at all hard.

However i havent yet decided if its better.

Impressions compared to regular cart shaving are; its harder to be thorough and i get razor burn trying to get everything baby smooth.

I assume as my technique improves ill be able to get a shave as close and thorough as carts without the burn.

Nailed it, with more time and technique you'll be able to get baby butt shaves with no problem. Just remember the key is first shaving with the grain, second pass across the grain, and finally against the grain. Do no put any pressure when you shave let the weight of the safety razor do its job.

Top Bottom