• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the very best companions ever developed on a game…

Jesb

Playing Starwars outlaws and one of the things I have to say is done pretty well is your little companion that helps you along the way. In a lot of ways a companion could be annoying as well. But when done correctly if actually can add to the game. It works here because our cute little friend nix can go places we can’t, and can also get items for you so you don’t risk your position and being exposed by the enemy. You can also use nix to attack enemies or distract them. It’s the perfect companion for a stealth game.

What are other good examples for companions. I’m talking where you actually work together. Not games that use companions only to drive the story.

5Ok3PuW.jpeg

Bros to the end.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Mass Effect's Garrus Vakarian is the best friend a player could ever hope for.
I think Nick Valentine from Fallout 4 is the best companion in any Bethesda IP (haven't played Starfield yet), and a contender for best companion in any game. In most Fallout games I typically travel without a companion, but in FO4 I always want Nick Valentine with me.
I also like Lydia from Skyrim, I need someone who's sworn to carry my burdens, but Uthgerd with mods... hubba hubba :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Vzfofej.jpeg

StueyDuck

Fuck companions. I'm the hero...

For a real answer though the n64 and ps2 gen 3d platformers, kazooie clank daxter etc. They mostly have in game function and were designed as second character to complete the main character.

For games where it's just a thing around then nothing beats sully as a sidecharacter to actually care about. All other games I pretty much return to my first statement. If I'm playing fallout, imma go solo the companion is just a hazard.

(Bonus points to mgsV companions for gameplay functionality, game fundamentally changes whether you have d-dog, quiet etc.)

Robb

Gold Member
I still really love Midna from Twilight Princess.
midna-heh.gif

Wheatley from Portal 2 also comes to mind. Cortana from Halo as well.

Oh, and Yoshi of course!
KMG5484.gif

Last edited:
Mass Effect comes to mind. Garrus isn't the only great companion, there are several across the first 3 games. I like Wrex, Zaeed, and Thane.
248376.jpg

Astral Chain. The Legion companion/combat system is extremely well done.
wp4598659.jpg

D-dog in MGSV.
MGSV.PS4.1080P.DD_DEPLOY.HD_SCREENCAPS.2.jpg

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Far Cry animals are legit. Loved my sabertooth tiger in primal and all the guys in far cry 5: boomer, cheeseburger, and especially peaches the mountain lion

PaintTinJr

Fludd from Super Mario Sunshine

Useful to the story, doesn't feel like a companion in the way, always useful and the shock to the gameplay in the bonus levels where Fludd is taken from you and you feel like you've lost your safety net and feel far more vulnerable in perilous platforming had real emotional impact of the loss IMO.

526796-super-mario-sunshine-concept-art-mario_01.jpg

FeralEcho

The companion cube and you're all fucking wrong
...and monsters...who can't put their differences aside...for science.

For me,it's Toriko from TLG,Agro from SOTC and DD from MGSV.

I still remember how amazing my recording of an outpost takeover went thanks to D-Dog.

He's a big reason why I loved MGSV. Such a good boi.

lqcdjjv.jpeg

Also a companion I haven't seen mentioned yet but is tremendous help and good company:

The Pawn in Dragon's Dogma:

mpFJ3NH.jpeg

Depending on your class they might be doing the brunt work for you.

Top Bottom