• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2013)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Don't forget to visit the Neogaf Book Club Thread

The book for February/March is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Non-western literature

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

dLgunZ5l.jpg

Started Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. First time reading it. Only about 100 pages in, but it seems really enjoyable so far.

Draconian

$%28KGrHqZ,!pIE-0CNoNMNBP67ySpDl!~~_35.JPG

Started Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. It's very engrossing so far, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

lightus

Just finished a Feast for Crows. It certainly wasn't as good as previous books, but I still enjoyed it.
I sorta which he just split the book down the middle and included both sets of characters instead of only including certain ones.

Next up in Blood Meridian. Love me some Cormac McCarthy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Not really sure where to ask this, but I wanted Book Gaf opinion. I want to start reading more, as I have read zero books over the last few years(well, until I started college last month). I usually have time to kill during my commute, so this is a great time to pick up a few books.

I was reading this list, anyone particular series/book Gaf would recommend above all others?

ShaneB

33% through Storm of Swords and am going to watch Game of Thrones tonight. I live on the edge.

Yeah, I figure my next books will be to just read through ASoIaF so I can avoid eventually being spoiled anyway. =/

Finished 'Deadliest Sea' the other day, was a great read and a reminder of why I love those true tales of harrowing survival and given the grand scale of this rescue attempt, it's pretty incredible.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Not really sure where to ask this, but I wanted Book Gaf opinion. I want to start reading more, as I have read zero books over the last few years(well, until I started college last month). I usually have time to kill during my commute, so this is a great time to pick up a few books.

I was reading this list, anyone particular series/book Gaf would recommend above all others?

Out of the ones I've read, the one I'd recommend most would be Lukyanenko's Watch series (though the final book isn't out in english yet), but you can't really go wrong with anything on that list. Only one I'd really question is Mike Carey's, which is a solid urban fantasy series, but nothing particularly remarkable.

Cinders

Just finished Salem's Lot, which was a pretty decent vampire tale. Reminded me somewhat of Dracula, but with more realistic characters (I thought anyway). Started playing Heart of the Swarm and got a hankering for some sci-fi, so I picked up Pandora's Star. If I like it, I will go on to its sequel, otherwise, I will continue reading Malazan (I'm on the second book).

Kawl_USC

Bujold's series is excellent. I ripped through 3 or so omnibuses (so like 8ish novels) in the span of a few weeks when I first got into them. I would highly recommend starting with the Cordelia's Honor omnibus to get some back ground even though it doesn't actually involve Miles. The books can very pretty wildly in genre and plot so be ready for it to switch stuff up, but that keeps it fresh and entertaining in my opinion.

Temeraire is pretty good as well. I've read the first two and they are interesting takes on Napoleonic era war time but with dragons added in.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this a few days ago -

vcFQmFm.jpg

Luminarium by Ben Shakar

Not sure what to think about it. I think I liked the intellectual parts of it but the story itself often seemed to not go anywhere for a while. I almost feel like it was non-fiction in a way; like the author really wanted to write a book about religion, philosophy, science, and how they all intertwine, but ended up wrapping it in a layer of fiction instead of just coming out with it.

Currently reading -

POI1EHj.jpg

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

For years and years I've thought the book was non-fiction, kind of a documentary type thing of the motorcycle trip, but before I got to the point ~70 pages in that I'm at right now I realized that didn't seem quite right and looked it up. Turns out it is based on a real trip but he's taking liberty with the details (how much I'm not sure, didn't look into it that deep).

Ceebs

Discworld is fantastic, but for the love of god do not start with the first book. Read Mort or Guards, Guards if you want to get into those. (as much as I love that series, anything with Rincewind or books starring the Wizards is an instant turnoff to me)

The Temeraire books are pretty good, The first one is a lot of fun. I found the series wore out it's welcome pretty quickly though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Out of the ones I've read, the one I'd recommend most would be Lukyanenko's Watch series (though the final book isn't out in english yet), but you can't really go wrong with anything on that list. Only one I'd really question is Mike Carey's, which is a solid urban fantasy series, but nothing particularly remarkable.

Bujold's series is excellent. I ripped through 3 or so omnibuses (so like 8ish novels) in the span of a few weeks when I first got into them. I would highly recommend starting with the Cordelia's Honor omnibus to get some back ground even though it doesn't actually involve Miles. The books can very pretty wildly in genre and plot so be ready for it to switch stuff up, but that keeps it fresh and entertaining in my opinion.

Temeraire is pretty good as well. I've read the first two and they are interesting takes on Napoleonic era war time but with dragons added in.

Thank you guys for your posts. I was leaning towards the Bujuold series, with the Watch series rounding out the top three. So I'm glad they got a mention. :)

edit-

Discworld is fantastic, but for the love of god do not start with the first book. Read Mort or Guards, Guards if you want to get into those. (as much as I love that series, anything with Rincewind or books starring the Wizards is an instant turnoff to me)

The Temeraire books are pretty good, The first one is a lot of fun. I found the series wore out it's welcome pretty quickly though.

I wouldn't be missing anything if I skipped the first one?

Reading more on Temeraire, has caught my interest. I think I will go with the four series you guys recommended.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just finished Salem's Lot, which was a pretty decent vampire tale. Reminded me somewhat of Dracula, but with more realistic characters (I thought anyway). Started playing Heart of the Swarm and got a hankering for some sci-fi, so I picked up Pandora's Star. If I like it, I will go on to its sequel, otherwise, I will continue reading Malazan (I'm on the second book).

Well, just my opinion of course, but Pandora's Star and the subsequent Judas Unchained are two of the best sci-fi books I've read. I wish there were more in that universe. I really need to read the other Peter F. Hamilton novels.

Ceebs

Thank you guys for your posts. I was leaning towards the Bujuold series, with the Watch series rounding out the top three. So I'm glad they got a mention. :)

edit-

Not at all. Discworld is a huge series with several subseries and standalone books in it.

For instance, Mort is the first book in the Death series and Guards Guards is the first in the Watch series. Discworld is just the setting they all take place in.

Kawl_USC

edit-

Reading more on Temeraire, has caught my interest. I think I will go with the four series you guys recommended.

I've found Guards! Guards! is one of the most recommended Discworld books to start with. It was the first (and only so far) book I've read from the series and it was hilarious and entertaining and I didn't feel like I had missed anything.

Following the sub-series within Discworld is pretty much the only guideline I've seen repeated often for the series. If you get really interested in it you can google and find numerous reading order diagrams with pretty pictures and colors and what not.

Ceebs

I've found Guards! Guards! is one of the most recommended Discworld books to start with. It was the first (and only so far) book I've read from the series and it was hilarious and entertaining and I didn't feel like I had missed anything.

Following the sub-series within Discworld is pretty much the only guideline I've seen repeated often for the series. If you get really interested in it you can google and find numerous reading order diagrams with pretty pictures and colors and what not.
Here is the chart. Also the Young Adult novels starting with The Wee Free Men are some of Pratchett's absolute best work. They are amazing.

I'm starting a fresh reading of the Lord of the Rings. Just finished a fresh reading of The Hobbit.

It's going to be a good month!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Here is the chart. Also the Young Adult novels starting with The Wee Free Men are some of Pratchett's absolute best work. They are amazing.

I will start off with Guards then. Read a little about it, and it sounds right up my alley. Looking at the chart, it looks like I'm going to have fun with this series.

Kawl_USC

I figure I would post the one book I recommend above all others to people when asking what to read next and then also what I'm currently reading:

1032-1.jpg

Bridge of Birds remains probably the most enjoyable book I have ever read in my life. I bought it on the frequent recommendation of a power user over at Penny Arcade's forums who dominated the reading thread. The guy must have been single-handedly responsible for selling a hundred copies of this book.

But besides that, this book is hilarious, heart warming, fun, and all sorts of other good adjectives. It tells the story of a guy teaming up with a scholar with a "slight flaw of character" to try and save all the children from his home village who have been poisoned. It is has an absolutely charming portrayal of China and its lore and mythos. I was hard pressed to put it down once I started it.

I cannot recommend it enough for some one looking for a book that is just too damn fun and likeable.

180px-WoT10_CrossroadsOfTwilight.jpg

Following that, I'm currently working my way through WOT 10. This has been my main focus since this summer and the main thing that has made these later entries doable has been following along with Leigh Butler's reread over at Tor.com. I've now gotten to the point of catching up what I had read through in Middle school, but considering that that was 7+ years ago, I've read from book 1. I've noticed a lot of depth and plot points that went far over my head as a wee lad. Overall, I'm still enjoying the series and the lure of it finally being complete and by the awesome Sanderson has been the whip at my back letting me power through even these slower later volumes.

Can't wait to get to the big 3 at the end where I assume the pace is picked up a little by Branden.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
DoUjoRQ.jpg

I just finished what could be considered the prologue, so I've just touched the book, but the voices of all of Holleran's characters are so distinct and honest that I can't wait to get into the novel.

Jenga

Banned
I figure I would post the one book I recommend above all others to people when asking what to read next and then also what I'm currently reading:

1032-1.jpg

Bridge of Birds remains probably the most enjoyable book I have ever read in my life. I bought it on the frequent recommendation of a power user over at Penny Arcade's forums who dominated the reading thread. The guy must have been single-handedly responsible for selling a hundred copies of this book.

But besides that, this book is hilarious, heart warming, fun, and all sorts of other good adjectives. It tells the story of a guy teaming up with a scholar with a "slight flaw of character" to try and save all the children from his home village who have been poisoned. It is has an absolutely charming portrayal of China and its lore and mythos. I was hard pressed to put it down once I started it.

I cannot recommend it enough for some one looking for a book that is just too damn fun and likeable.
my next read probably

black_13

Banned
I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time but at a glaciers pace. Only on page 50 in two weeks. Beginning was hard to get into but like it better the more I read.

ShaneB

I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time but at a glaciers pace. Only on page 50 in two weeks. Beginning was hard to get into but like it better the more I read.

This always sounded pretty interesting to me, let me know what you think if you finish it any time soon :p

And yeah. as I figured, time to try and read through this series I guess. Now reading..

13496.jpg

Masenkame

I finished Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. That was a great read. I liked the snippets you're given to work with concerning exposition, so much so that the little bits of the more conventional exposition in the novel was disappointing. The plot reaches a climax that doesn't seem to let up for about a hundred pages. I'll definitely continue on in the series.

I'll be starting Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe next. The passing of the author prompted this look into a novel that's been on my to-read list for a while.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just finished this
i5xTg5q.jpg

Did not get the hype, at all. Loved the priest's story and the poet's but otherwise found the book pretty boring and I just wanted to get to the end. Which, unsurprisingly, was very anti-climactic. Are there sequels worth checking out?

Then I read this
fBqbIQY.jpg

A guy in last month's thread absolutely blasted this book, like 3 paragraphs of hate. I loved it! Thought it was a super fun, engaging read. I couldn't put it down. Not a masterpiece or anything but for something quick and enjoyable it was great.

Had some heavy reading last month, and this recent sci-fi kick (which is a genre I never read)
Now I want a nice heavy fantasy series to get into. I started this series, but I don't think the next book is out yet. Plus it wasn't very good anyways.

Anybody have any suggestions? Something new, I've read most of the stuff in the recommendations list. What's an up and coming series I can hop onto?
p22BWXO.jpg

1032-1.jpg

Yes! I remember reading this a long time ago, but I forgot on whose recommendation. It's a wonderful fantasy story and I hear the rest in the series (available in an ebook collection) is just as good. My husband, who usually is not a fan of book to movie adaptations was lamenting the fact that there isn't a movie of this.

I try to push this book when people are looking for fantasy rec's because it made me sad to read that the author stopped writing because no one was buying his books.

I'll probably finish this in the next couple of days:

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright
So full of crazy!

And then continue with this:

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

I think this is a record for me. Two non-fiction books in a row.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Then I read this
http://i.imgur.com/fBqbIQY.jpg[IMG]

A guy in last month's thread absolutely blasted this book, like 3 paragraphs of hate. I loved it! Thought it was a super fun, engaging read. I couldn't put it down. Not a masterpiece or anything but for something quick and enjoyable it was great.
[/QUOTE]

I know [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51457509&postcount=461"]I derided it in last month's thread[/URL], and [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51470442&postcount=464"]another guy put in his two cents as well[/URL], but if you're thinking of a really hateful post it was likely [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49959288&postcount=153"]this one[/URL] from a "favorite books" thread that was also last month.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I know I derided it in last month's thread, and another guy put in his two cents as well, but if you're thinking of a really hateful post it was likely this one from a "favorite books" thread that was also last month.

Hahaha yes, that was the post. I understand the criticisms, but it was a nice break from all the other shit I've been reading.

The first two books are really meant to be read together, but if you're not enjoying it thus far, it might not be worth continuining anyways. For what its worth, I enjoyed it but I dont think its quite as crazy good as most people seem to think it is.

Yeah, I doubt I'll continue. I really want to know what the Shrike is and what's up with the Time Tombs, but that being my only reason for reading seems shallow and I might as well just wiki it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just finished this
i5xTg5q.jpg

Did not get the hype, at all. Loved the priest's story and the poet's but otherwise found the book pretty boring and I just wanted to get to the end. Which, unsurprisingly, was very anti-climactic. Are there sequels worth checking out?

The first two books are really meant to be read together, but if you're not enjoying it thus far, it might not be worth continuining anyways. For what its worth, I enjoyed it but I dont think its quite as crazy good as most people seem to think it is.

Narag

Embedded by Dan Abnett

Not sure I really cared for this despite really enjoying his WH40k fare. I felt lost at times in the deluge of jargon and abbreviations and never really bought into the world he created. It's like how one might not properly convey an idea to another properly due to one's own intimate familiarity with said notion resulting in details the other needs for context simply being omitted due to the speaker taking them for granted. Title drop was some eye rolling stuff too.

Just finished this
i5xTg5q.jpg

Hyperion is the journey, Fall of Hyperion is the destination.

Just finished reading "The Opportunist" after hearing about that it had a great ending. It was a pretty easy read but totally different than my norm of reading. It was practically a chick book but it wasn't too too bad.

Next up: The Manufactured Identity

Top Bottom