• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2013)

I'm going to ask a stupid and possibly immature question, but how do you guys know which books to pick that are actually worth reading? I spent my youth reading young adult books and children's books exclusively. I will defend the genre to the ends of the earth, because there are absolute gems buried beneath all the derivative crap, but I feel like I am doing myself a disservice by avoiding adult fiction. I've read stuff like ASOIAF and Lord of the Rings, but beyond that I just don't know how to identify which authors and novels I'd actually enjoy. It's overwhelming to me. How do you all do it?

Tenrius

I'm going to ask a stupid and possibly immature question, but how do you guys know which books to pick that are actually worth reading? I spent my youth reading young adult books and children's books exclusively. I will defend the genre to the ends of the earth, because there are absolute gems buried beneath all the derivative crap, but I feel like I am doing myself a disservice by avoiding adult fiction. I've read stuff like ASOIAF and Lord of the Rings, but beyond that I just don't know how to identify which authors and novels I'd actually enjoy. It's overwhelming to me. How do you all do it?

Intuition based on previous experience and feedback both online and off-line, combined with "ooh, that's a cool title" and "ooh, that's a neat cover".

Find whatever sounds interesting from blurbs and genres. Don't be afraid to dump books, and don't be afraid to take a risk. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't grab you and you move to something else. The more you immerse yourself in the books, the less of a big deal it becomes.

My tastes are pretty open and huge so I just grab whatever wanton craving I have at the moment. Having a good library helps.

Intuition based on previous experience and feedback both online and off-line, combined with "ooh, that's a cool title" and "ooh, that's a neat cover".

Yeah, stuff like this. Don't take book selection so seriously. It's not like you're going to be forced to write an essay about the book when you're done. If you dislike it enough, just stop and get a different book.

Yeah, stuff like this. Don't take book selection so seriously. It's not like you're going to be forced to write an essay about the book when you're done. If you dislike it enough, just stop and get a different book.

Haha you're right. I just have so little time to myself that 100 pages of a bad book seems like a huge waste.

ShaneB

I'd be fairly lost as well usually as to what to read, but these threads have certainly helped with recommendations that fit along with stuff I'd like, and I love just browsing lists at Goodreads. A good synopsis is generally enough to hook me.

Ceebs

Haha you're right. I just have so little time to myself that 100 pages of a bad book seems like a huge waste.

The sad truth is that it takes reading both good and bad books to really get comfortable with what your tastes are.

But yeah do not look at reading 100 pages of a bad book as being a waste of time, instead look at it as learning you do not like something.

If you never read a bad book you are probably not taking enough chances to find the real gems you would have never guessed you would like so much.

Minion101

Banned
iFmMByTM4h12v.jpg

If you never read a bad book you are probably not taking enough chances to find the real gems you would have never guessed you would like so much.

Hear hear!

And if it's cost of a book that's an issue, don't forget there's the library, as well as Amazon previews. Usually I can tell right away if an author's style of prose is not to my liking just from the couple of pages available for preview.

Finished reading Engine Summer by John Crowley;

9uP2Oc9.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed this highly inventive and unique fantasy/sci-fi. It had a wonderful, warm tone to the narrative and was an intriguing read throughout, even if it became somewhat abstract towards the end.

Any recommendations for other Crowley books to read? I was told to read the Aegypt tetralogy, but wondered if I should try some of his other early novels first?

Now, I'm re-reading The Name of the Wind & The Wise Man's Fear, very readable, engaging prose. Can't wait for the 3rd in the series. Have we got an estimated release date, as of yet?

Tenrius

If you don't have much time, try to read whenever you're doing something not directly involving your head: eating (especially eating), commuting, etc. I think sometimes I read more than a 100 pages a day on my lunch breaks + other meals alone.

Just gauging interest - what would you fine reading folks think about a thread dedicated solely to Amazon Kindle Lending Library recommendations?

Crud, lured into the February thread.

Repost:

I'm currently reading:

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds,

and listening to the audiobook version in the car/gym. The audiobook reader is totally hamming it up at times, but it's a great listen. The gravitas and oddly exaggerated inflection he gives the main character and one of his partners is, for some reason, really enjoyable. When I'm reading I can't help but try to give the characters' lines the exact same inflection in my head. The story is, of course, excellent.

After this I've only got a couple of short story collections to round out everything in the Revelation Space series. However I may try to finish up the Culture series after today's terrible news. :(

Lumiere

Neo Member
Just gauging interest - what would you fine reading folks think about a thread dedicated solely to Amazon Kindle Lending Library recommendations?
I would be interested! It might be just me, but I have a hard time keeping up with what's good in the Lending Library. Just today I noticed the Clarke novella that is also deal of the day is in there, and was quite surprised :O

Videoneon

Incidentally, I'm reading a book/short story that is about 100 pages short.

metamorphosis-franz-kafka-book-cover-art.jpg

Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. I'm halfway through. It's so bizarre, and yet so...effectively appealing to the pathos. The bizarreness doesn't even matter a short ways in. I love how I'm trying to understand the world here.

But as far as recommendations go, trust your instincts. Perhaps you've read a couple books or have an idea already of what appeals to you most? Check out the library or book sales and hunt through whatever genre. I'm not exceptionally read so I can't give you direct recommendations, but yeah don't worry about hating something, even if it's something "classic."

Speaking for myself, I'm far too lazy to follow more than one thread. I would however like to see the recommendations in here.

Finished

Montauk by Max Frisch

Wasn't too crazy about it. Was very self-indulgent and got tiresome. I'm sure a lot of stuff flew over my head though.

Also finished

Sailor Twain by Mark Siegel

Don't read a lot of graphic novels, but this was pretty good. Great art and surprisingly well developed characters.

Jintor

Are the 'next month' threads linked at the end of outdated threads? They should be... sometimes I forget the monthly threads exist because my sub'd threads just die off and these sink to beyond the first page in OT

Fjordson

What do you guys think of Devil in the White City? Just beat Bioshock Infinite and feel like reading something related to the time period :p (America, 1912). Levine said that was a bit of an inspiration for the game.

Any other books related to that time are also welcome.

Wiktor

Well..Amazon reviews help, especially since they give you recomendations based on what you bought. Similiar, but much better system, can be found on GoodReads. You add books you've read and rate them, as well as set up your interests. After rating enough books the system can pretty damn well predict what could potentially interest you and give you recomendations.

And when it comes to trying new things..reviews, awards and threads like this one are good source.

Ceebs

This sounds really interesting.

You either really like it or think it is poorly written garbage.

I personally fall into the later camp. It's just non-stop "Hey I remember the 80's" references and some paper thin characters running around in a bad YA novel plot. The idea behind the book is actually pretty cool, but the execution is just terrible.

Currently reading the original version of Arthur Conan Doyle's: Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet. Its not my first exposure to the series iv seen films and such previously but its my first time reading the book.

Enjoying it so far.

Kawl_USC

For me personally I would say for the past few years >75% of the books I decide to read I hear about from threads like this (be it from here or the Penny Arcade forums a few years ago). Hearing people post covers and pitch why you should read a book is usually enough to let me know whether its something I would be interested in or not. And especially once you get the genre's you particularly like down, finding new stuff in that field gets much easier. But like others said, just give a book a shot. If you don't like it stop, no one is going to force you to finish reading it.

Try to find out what your favorite writers love (books that influenced them). I first read about Gene Wolfe through Neil Gaiman, 'Salem's Lot led me to Shirley Jackson etc.

Jintor

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I liked it a lot as something to read, although apart from the sheer evocation of this dark, despairing bleak-ass post-apocolypse world (despite no real explanation of what had actually happened, which personally I kind of liked) I couldn't tell if there was an overall 'point' to the story. Still it was a great read.

Not sure what to go on next. I was thinking Brave New World but I have other stuff on my shelf already. I should probably take up another fiction though...

Dresden

I'm reading Wolf Hall and, although I'm enjoying it, at times it feels a bit difficult to read for me. I'm a bit worried if Bring Up the Bodies is worse in that aspect!
it doesn't have the kind of passage of time that Wolf Hall does to space things out--it's like, set over the course of months rather than years, and the second half of the novel is devoted to what's really the space of a week or so. So there's an uncomfortable feeling being tethered fully to Cromwell's back, like a camera peeping over his shoulder and never letting go.

I think it's actually an easier read, though (having finished it tonight).

Videoneon

Shit! I finished reading The Metamorphosis already. The rest of the book I have includes supplementary essays and some bonus texts like a letter from Kafka to his dad, whom the former seemed to hate.

It was a good read, and the ending was great, if a little weird. As far as I can tell
it's deeply personal and has to do with Kafka's desire to hold on to what's important in life (enjoying each other's company and enjoying oneself in general) and Gregor's earnest attempts to communicate his love for his family...mostly his sister. This in spite of how he's changed; so that mirrors the sort of emphasis that Kafka places on finding out "what's important" (the fact that, though it's physically or rationally impossible for his family to understand, Gregor cares for them) and what mattered about him (the fact that he was still willing to go to work, pay for his sister's music lessons and wanted to hear her play, his awkward and earnest attempts to display himself) never changed even if he was a spider or whatever. But I wonder why Gregor was put into a position where he could not communicate with his family.
My only other exposure to Kafka was A Hunger Artist which I enjoyed but had the luxury of a professor and classroom for bouncing off interpretation ideas and fun discussions.

uvz

Neo Member
I have a pdf of this sitting on my desktop for whatever reason. Maybe I meant to read it ages back or maybe it was as part of the warning where people started shouting "DON'T READ THIS POLITICAL INDOCTRINATION TOOL" at me.

Either way, I might buy an actual copy of the book some time this year, because there's no fun in something that isn't print.

I am currently thoroughly enjoying the book, the criticisms only made me want to read it more. I believe that if you can appreciate (i wont use the term get past) Rand's different ideology than what we have become so accustomed to then you will enjoy it . That being said there are parts where it does get a bit to preachy. But its a great story, has good mystery and i am genuinely interested in what happens next.

Plus as someone whose favorite vidogame story was bioshiock its very cool to see where it got its influences from

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I am currently thoroughly enjoying the book, the criticisms only made me want to read it more. I believe that if you can appreciate (i wont use the term get past) Rand's different ideology than what we have become so accustomed to then you will enjoy it . That being said there are parts where it does get a bit to preachy. But its a great story, has good mystery and i am genuinely interested in what happens next.

Plus as someone whose favorite vidogame story was bioshiock its very cool to see where it got its influences from

My problem is more with the very one dimensional, very black and white characters than with the ideology. If a character's features are "angular" they're going to be a good guy with nigh-superhuman abilities, if a character is described as having gone to college (anywhere but Patrick Henry University, of course) they're probably useless at their job. Nobody has children except for one case I remember in
the "Maker's" little hideaway, and those kids are there for a couple of sentences worth of a point then disappear
. I just don't think Rand is all that great of a writer.

I read both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead back to back about two years ago and I felt The Fountainhead was the better novel. They both suffer from many of the same major issues but with The Fountainhead it felt like I was reading a novel with a philosophical message and with Atlas Shrugged it felt like I was reading a philosophy book with an incredibly thin layer of story on top. Other than the totally ridiculous court case at the end most of what I remember from The Fountainhead is at least plausible. I'm not surprised that Rand went into non-fiction for the rest of her career after Atlas Shrugged because IMO when reading it it seemed pretty obvious that non-fiction is what she wanted to be writing anyway.

Videoneon

My next project:

The-Prince-Machiavelli-Niccolo-9780979415401.jpg

Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince. Time to see what the fuss was about. I'm only a few pages in but the content is reminding me of this collection of essays I have by Michel de Montaigne as far as the antiquated social structures/mores being analyzed in depth. The novelty is interesting enough.

Author has a pretty high opinion of himself though; just in the introductory letter's conclusion he was subtly entreating the prince/king/whomever-it-was-addressed-to to recognize the misfortune of Machiavelli's humble lot. By and large he seems pretty direct, from the little bits I've read.

obin_gam

Just started reading Redshirts by John Scalzi and it's hilarious! It's basically Star Trek from the point of view of the ensigns on the ship, the "redshirts" if you will. It really makes you think about how retarded the main characters on the TV-shows and movies actually behaved :D

y1mYtwZ.png

Karakand

I remember really being into the mystery aspect of it when I read it as a teenager. It's strange to encounter a political mystery where the mystery isn't some conspiracy of (formal political) power or coverup, but something whose importance you don't even really understand until a certain point. It's a long fall from that to that awful political mystery-thriller Glenn Beck put out recently.

While I don't think too highly of dystopian fiction in general, the way she blends the zeitgeists of the Industrial Revolution and the Great Depression with the retro-future dreaming of 1950s speculative entertainment gives Atlas Shrugged a certain humanity / universality / relatable character that the widely regarded dystopian universes sorely lack. (However, at a certain point this tense balancing act really goes off the rails and it loses this character almost completely.) I guess that's what steampunk would be if it wasn't the purview of the bottom of the creative barrel or fetishized the Victorians.

I am reading The Count of Monte Cristo, and I am enjoying it a lot, but Could someone clear something up for me?
Bertuccio stabbed Villefort, but he still appears to be alive (at around 40% in the book). Am I getting character names/timelines mixed up, or was the stabbing just not fatal?

cozo

just finished sonali deraniyagala's "wave", her account of losing her parents, husband, and two young sons in the 2004 tsunami. a beautifully written book but a very difficult read in places

next up kevin powers' "the yellow birds"

Seanspeed

Banned
Now, I'm re-reading The Name of the Wind & The Wise Man's Fear, very readable, engaging prose. Can't wait for the 3rd in the series. Have we got an estimated release date, as of yet?
No, but there was 4 years in between the first and second books, so probably another year or two to go. :(

What do you guys think of Devil in the White City? Just beat Bioshock Infinite and feel like reading something related to the time period :p (America, 1912). Levine said that was a bit of an inspiration for the game.

Any other books related to that time are also welcome.
Read that a couple months ago. I would recommend it. It often feels like a piece of fiction, but its not, which is a credit to the author.

I'm about halfway through:

IRuJgho.jpg

So good. I was up til 2AM reading it last night and had to force myself to stop so I could get some sleep.

I can see the series being made into a movie series at some point. The mystery/action/horror aspects and the focus on a somewhat small cast of characters would fit the Hollywood format really well.

Top Bottom