• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2013)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
NuoeoQSm.jpg

Corny cover art, but crucual content.

Dresden

d9aN3sH.jpg

I feel bad that I'd not read Proulx before this. Some incredible prose in the stories, themselves full of . . . brutality? Beauty? Their starkness reminds me of McCarthy, but without slipping out of the conventions of grammar or straying into self-parody. The writing is just so good.

"Brokeback Mountain" is probably the most famous story here, but both the beginning and the end of "People in Hell Just Want a Drink of Water" blew me away.

Dangerous and indifferent ground: against its fixed mass the tragedies of people count for nothing although the signs of misadventure are everywhere. No past slaughter nor cruelty, no accident nor murder that occurs on the little ranches or at the isolate crossroads with their bare populations of three or seventeen, or in the reckless trailer courts of mining towns delays the flood of morning light. Fences, cattle, roads, refineries, mines, gravel pits, traffic lights, graffiti'd celebration of athletic victory on bridge overpass, crust of blood on the Wal-Mart loading dock, the sun-faded wreaths of plastic flowers marking death on the highway are ephemeral. Other cultures have camped here a while and disappeared. Only earth and sky matter. Only the endlessly repeated flood of morning light. You begin to see that God does not owe us much beyond that.

Ceebs

Finished The Three Musketeers.

Very enjoyable once it got going, but it was a bit of a slog for the first quarter or so. I have somehow made it 30 years without ever seeing a movie adaption of this so I really had no idea what I was in for as far as plot. The whole finale with Milady was fantastic. So yeah, great book but not even in the same league as The Count of Monte Cristo.

Has anyone read Twenty Years After? Is it worth reading?

Next up:

The_Brothers_Karamazov.jpg

Then I may take up reading something light published in the last 100 years. Maybe with vampires :)

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Currently working on Cloud Atlas. I thought the movie was cool but I had heard the book makes more sense. I think it's pretty good so far.

ant1532

Banned
is recommended books on amazon the best way to see what books i should buy depending on taste? is there a pandora for books?

Bonethug

is recommended books on amazon the best way to see what books i should buy depending on taste? is there a pandora for books?

I think that GoodReads.com gives much better recommendations, but you do have to take the time to input what you've read. You then get multiple recommendations per genre of book that you have read. The recommendations also show why it was recommended based on what previous book you have read.

uvz

Neo Member
contrarian.jpg

love a bit of christopher hitchens, should be arriving by tomorrow.

51srF9zHkpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Longest book i have ever read, 300 pages in. The book club got me intersted to start and i can see why it has split so many peoples opinion. Feel like it should be read nonetheless.

thomaser

Same as last month. A couple of schoolbooks:

41u7KMwPFdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

World Englishes by Melchers and Shaw

51J1JW7Y2SL._SY380_.jpg

Sociolinguistics - A Reader by Coupland and Jaworski

Both are pretty interesting.

A million thanks to Fjordson for the Ellroy recommendation. Absolutely loving The Black Dahlia. Its one of those books where I can't wait to get free time to get to my Kindle again.

Larsa

qq31JfR.jpg

Almost halfway through and I'm loving it. It's really good at switching moods, one moment being hilarious and the next soul-crushingly sad. I adored the Eschaton section. It sure does love its acronyms though.

Finished last week :

Revelation_Space_cover_%28Amazon%29.jpg

Almost finishing :

galactic_north.jpg

Really enjoying so far, its a group of mini-stories in the revelation space universe. The conjoiners, the ultras, the denizens, so many interesting and fascinating groups.

And like a true Gaffer, already ordered all the other books :p

noffles

Banned
51srF9zHkpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Longest book i have ever read, 300 pages in. The book club got me intersted to start and i can see why it has split so many peoples opinion. Feel like it should be read nonetheless.

I have a pdf of this sitting on my desktop for whatever reason. Maybe I meant to read it ages back or maybe it was as part of the warning where people started shouting "DON'T READ THIS POLITICAL INDOCTRINATION TOOL" at me.

Either way, I might buy an actual copy of the book some time this year, because there's no fun in something that isn't print.

Great read. Short, but sweet. Benjamin is my favourite character.

I've got a copy of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy to read for university, so I'll likely be starting that some time in the next few days. I've also got a copy of Fahrenheit 451 to get through at some point. I tried started it after coming off of general anaesthetic, but I was so out of it that I couldn't figure out what the hell I was reading at the time.

51Ik13iNM7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

You know, for all the buzz behind this book, I have to wonder if part of it is because the publisher paid an obnoxious amount for it. It's good, for sure, but can you really start a novel out with a hundred pages of fairly detailed baseball and expect it to sell like wildfire? Pretty sure this ultimately under-performed, but what do I know? However, when the character storylines kick in, things start to gel. I'm about halfway, I think?

I think that GoodReads.com gives much better recommendations, but you do have to take the time to input what you've read. You then get multiple recommendations per genre of book that you have read. The recommendations also show why it was recommended based on what previous book you have read.

That's right. If you don't want to go through the work of inputing what you've read, you can also go to the page of a book you liked and if you scroll down a little on the right side, there's a section of "Readers also enjoyed" of similar books.

MRORANGE

Just completed Escape from Camp 14

Not sure on what to read next..... help?

What I am looking for:

- Present day day sci-fi
- Non-fiction history (prohibition era / Russia during the cold war)

- Anything else, I haven't read much since the past 5 years

MRORANGE

Have you read this one?

[im]http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320449375l/6178648.jpg[/img]
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

Along the same vein, but the writing is much better and follows several people's stories. I liked this better than Escape from Camp 14, which I found pretty frustrating w/ how little agency the guy seemed to have compared to other escapees.

I'll have a look into it, thanks.

If anyone has books that I should read based on my previous post I will have a look when I can.

namDa65

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries.

Pretty insightful for the first third of the book which includes the author's own company IMVU.

Wiktor

In last few days I've read:

220969.jpg

Still not feeling it. I enjoyed it, but a lot less than I did Racher movie. Still will propably pick up the next book in the series sometime in the future

7766027.jpg

This was very pleseant read. It was nothing fresh (John Cleaver series did it all before and did it better), but I burned through it very fast and it left me hungry for more.

9579634.jpg

Finished it minutes ago. Enjoyed it like hell. The main hero is such a little piece of shit, but following his adventures is fun like hell. This is bassicaly what Berserk would be if it would be told from Griffith's persperctive.

Bonethug

Finished
iQJRGrr.jpg

Read after seeing it recommended in a previous thread.
Excellent piece of pirate fiction.
Wish I would have had a little more boat knowledge to understand all of the sailing terms.

Leading Candidate for Book Releasing this Month to Read
P1A20xY.jpg

Finished
iQJRGrr.jpg

Read after seeing it recommended in a previous thread.
Excellent piece of pirate fiction.
Wish I would have had a little more boat knowledge to understand all of the sailing terms.

Leading Book Releasing this Month to Read Candidate
P1A20xY.jpg

Added both to my wish list. That You book sounds especially interesting.

Finished this up over the weekend, was awesome. Sigler really created a great universe for these books. The football took a backseat to it in this one, but I still loved it. Thinking about moving on to the next book.

The Starter by Scott Sigler

Was recommended this by a friend and checked out the sample, hooked me and bought it. Reminds me of A History of Violence

Mad Dog House by Mark Rubinstein

And also reading this based on someone mentioning it, can't remember who.

Montauk by Max Frisch

Tenrius

I'm still reading The Night Circus, same with the last thread. Going through it rather slow because other things.

Finally reading the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for the first time. Like it a lot. About a third of the way through it.

INSERT GIGANTIC IMAGE OF COVER HERE

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
944073.jpg

Heard very good things about this, and I'm enjoying it well enough but it's not living up to the hype at all so far. I'm only about 15% in though so it could get better still.

What's GAF's take on The Passage?

I enjoyed both books, though I remember them diving a little further into the realm of mysticism than I'd like, especially the second. The writing is solid and the world and its characters are covered in wonderful detail. The author does take his time, though. I never (or very rarely) felt like it was at all flowery or plodding, just a very dense amount of information.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Going to start the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake. It's been a series I've wanted to read since the mini-series came out long ago. I feel old now.

457382.jpg

Dresden

Qk1Qbem.jpg

Not that I have anything against (or buy into) the old 'show not tell' stuff, but damn, Mantel really is just so goddamn show. Even more than Wolf Hall, it's a tightly constrained, almost claustrophobic, series of imagery, conversations, action.

Lumiere

Neo Member
What's GAF's take on The Passage?
Is this Justin Cronin's? If so, I enjoyed it, although I felt the beginning was more interesting compared to how it actually developed. Have yet to read The Twelve cause I have a ton of unfinished trilogies/series/etc to go through. :(

Qk1Qbem.jpg

Not that I have anything against (or buy into) the old 'show not tell' stuff, but damn, Mantel really is just so goddamn show. Even more than Wolf Hall, it's a tightly constrained, almost claustrophobic, series of imagery, conversations, action.

I'm reading Wolf Hall and, although I'm enjoying it, at times it feels a bit difficult to read for me. I'm a bit worried if Bring Up the Bodies is worse in that aspect!

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Going to start the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake. It's been a series I've wanted to read since the mini-series came out long ago. I feel old now.

457382.jpg

Let us know how you like it. I've always been super curious because of how weird the tv series seemed, but I still don't know much about it

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Well, fuck!

http://www.orbitbooks.net/

A personal statement from Iain Banks
- ROSE TREMLETT - April 3rd, 2013

I am officially Very Poorly.

After a couple of surgical procedures, I am gradually recovering from jaundice caused by a blocked bile duct, but that – it turns out – is the least of my problems.

I first thought something might be wrong when I developed a sore back in late January, but put this down to the fact I’d started writing at the beginning of the month and so was crouched over a keyboard all day. When it hadn’t gone away by mid-February, I went to my GP, who spotted that I had jaundice. Blood tests, an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan revealed the full extent of the grisly truth by the start of March.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

The bottom line, now, I’m afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I’m expected to live for ‘several months’ and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.

As a result, I’ve withdrawn from all planned public engagements and I’ve asked my partner Adele if she will do me the honour of becoming my widow (sorry – but we find ghoulish humour helps). By the time this goes out we’ll be married and on a short honeymoon. We intend to spend however much quality time I have left seeing friends and relations and visiting places that have meant a lot to us. Meanwhile my heroic publishers are doing all they can to bring the publication date of my new novel forward by as much as four months, to give me a better chance of being around when it hits the shelves.

There is a possibility that it might be worth undergoing a course of chemotherapy to extend the amount of time available. However that is still something we’re balancing the pros and cons of, and anyway it is out of the question until my jaundice has further and significantly, reduced.

Lastly, I’d like to add that from my GP onwards, the professionalism of the medics involved – and the speed with which the resources of the NHS in Scotland have been deployed – has been exemplary, and the standard of care deeply impressive. We’re all just sorry the outcome hasn’t been more cheerful.

A website is being set up where friends, family and fans can leave messages for me and check on my progress. It should be up and running during this week and a link to it will be on my official website at www.iain-banks.net as soon as it’s ready.

Iain Banks

Fey

Banned
emaHaxM.jpg

Trying to learn French! Going reeeally slow right now, took a little less than 2 hours to complete the first chapter. @__@

Top Bottom