• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

I've been very busy lately, and it's cut into my reading time quite a bit, but I finally finished enough books to bother making a new post.

Y3zaFEr.jpg

Horns by Joe Hill: This was the weakest Joe Hill novel I've read, but I still liked it quite a bit. The story was very character driven, and the characters were all great, especially the main bad guy. The biggest problem was the structure. The book jumps around in time a lot. It was probably the only way to tell the story, but it hurts the momentum in spots. The other problem was the premise itself, which would probably fit better in a shorter work.

2moB3dD.gif

The Adversary Cycle Book 1 - The Keep by F. Paul Wilson: I read this back when I was a teenager, and loved it then. Still liked it quite a lot this time. Wilson has many flaws as a writer, particularly when it comes to writing female characters. He also has a very pulpy sensibility, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's something I didn't notice when reading his books as a teenager. He has strengths as well, including a good imagination and a knack for writing very fast paced stories. I really like the blend of old fashioned Lovecraftian weird fiction and urban fantasy in his books.

hPOrCDSl.jpg

Malazan Book 1 - Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson: I had been warned that this was tough to finish, but I promised myself I would get all the way through and start the second book before making a decision on the series. It took me forever, but I finally finished it today. If I was going to judge the series based on this book alone, I would not continue. There were a few sections that weren't horrible and the universe seems interesting, but there were too many characters, too many sub-plots, and too much build-up for an ending that didn't deliver. And the biggest issue, the one that everybody talks about, is the massive learning curve, and the general lack of finesse in the doling out of information about the setting. Even during the last few chapters there were new terms being introduced with no explanation other than context to figure out what the hell people were talking about. Reading the book was kind of like wandering around in a foggy landscape where you can make out enough details to keep from getting lost, but you still aren't sure exactly what the place looks like. Some people seem to actually like this about the series, and I can sort of see why. It's engaging in a way to read something so alien, like solving a puzzle. But I think Erikson takes it so far here that he's basically shooting himself in the foot. At this point I'm somewhat intrigued to see where the story will go next, but I hope things improve a lot in a hurry.

Kindle

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

I'm about 60% through book one and really enjoying it - does it remain interesting?
Yes, very much so. I'm not sure why I've waited so long between each installment, but every time I get back into it I'm instantly captivated. I'm only 25% in but so far I'm loving book 3. Very easy reading and such an interesting world.

Had this pointed out to me by a coworker, interested to hear what you think. Much like last summer, I got in a baseball book mood, and I'm sure I will sometime too. I'm really interested in checking out Bigger Than the Game: Restitching a Major League Life by Dirk Hayhurst (and apparently he's written a few books now that I see), liked what I read in the preview, and seems highly acclaimed.
I remember going to an Expos game in Montreal back in .. I wanna say 1998 or so. My mom, dad, and me were literally just about the only people in the stands. It was one of the most surreal moments of my life. I've been to single A games in Florida with more people.

James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet is really good. It's a series of four books that are loosely tied together in a sort of history of the LAPD. It starts with the Black Dahlia murder in the 40's and spans to the late 50's/early 60's. You can read them from the beginning or just pick a book that interests you the most. A little bit of a warning, Ellroy can get dense. His books feature lots of characters and they are all important.
You are a smart and great person. :)

YES. It is an amazing trilogy. The ending is fantastic and the world is just great. I would love a movie adaptation if I knew it wouldn't be underfunded and botched.
When I read through these Mistborn books I can't get over how perfect they'd be for a video game. Just the way the different powers work and deplete, the "enemies", the way you could power up by finding new metals or alchemical combos, etc. It'd be amazing. And being able to jump around the city with the push/pull powers would be fun.

There's a new book club thread up! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792869

We're reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes.

Thanks to Tragicomedy for picking up the slack in Feb and March!
Sweeeet!

EDIT: Hmm whats going on with the broken looking quotes?

lightus

I finished up Word of Radiance late last month. I am borderline obsessed with it. I just adore the series so far. I don't expect most people to love it as much as I do. Something about the series just sits right with me.

Just started Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

17333324.jpg

The writing style is a bit annoying but I've started to grow used to it. Hopefully the plot starts picking up soon. Getting a bit bored to be honest (only 60 pages in though).

YES. It is an amazing trilogy. The ending is fantastic and the world is just great. I would love a movie adaptation if I knew it wouldn't be underfunded and botched.

The movie has died, but a video game has taken its place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn:_Birthright

Apparently one of the reasons Brandon wrote the two Infinity Blade books was to get a bit closer to the game industry. Hopefully it will turn out well.

fakefaker

Decided after two chapters to switch editions of The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. The previous translation felt stilted and sometimes vague, and figure it's a product of its times. Even still, enjoying it and can't wait to see what unfolds.

386265.jpg

Piecake

About to start this. I am pretty excited. While I have always found communist and marxist theory boring, learning about Marx and his ideas in a historical context sounds really interesting. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for biographies on philosophers/things? Like the above paragraph mentioned, I find philosophy pretty dull reading, but I am interested in reading about the man (or woman) and the impact of his/her ideas.

KuroNeeko

About to start this. I am pretty excited. While I have always found communist and marxist theory boring, learning about Marx and his ideas in a historical context sounds really interesting. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for biographies on philosophers/things? Like the above paragraph mentioned, I find philosophy pretty dull reading, but I am interested in reading about the man (or woman) and the impact of his/her ideas.

Slightly different than what you requested, but I really enjoyed Marcus Aurelius's Meditations. Rather than being a biography about his life, it's a collection of his writings that he wrote throughout his lifetime, mostly for his own personal improvement.

There are a number of translations out there, the Gregory Hays version being among the newest and most colloquial (apparently.) I bought the Hammond version shown below.

0140449337.01.SWCH_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

UraMallas

The Count of Monte Cristo

It's a surprisingly easy read for being from the mid-1800's. I read Brothers Karamzov late last year and I found that to be much harder and it was published after.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
wait

hold on a sec

It's probably going to be a really long time until Saga Vol 4 comes out, huh? Looking at the release dates of the previous volumes, there were 8 months in between volumes 1 and 2 and 9 months in between 2 and 3. That means Vol 4 won't release until like November or December.

oh my god

:(

Mr.Towel

All those pretty pictures in Way of Kings are so damn small on an ereader. I might have to give up the convenience of the ebook for the big lunky hardcover of Words of Radiance.

Nezumi

All those pretty pictures in Way of Kings are so damn small on an ereader. I might have to give up the convenience of the ebook for the big lunky hardcover of Words of Radiance.
Not sure about the Way of Kings but for Words of Radiance Sanderson released all the illustrations on his website.

Mumei

The Count of Monte Cristo

It's a surprisingly easy read for being from the mid-1800's. I read Brothers Karamzov late last year and I found that to be much harder and it was published after.

<3333333333333

You even have the correct English edition!

And yeah, it's an easy read. It's just long!

duckroll

Anyway, I think that sounds quite interesting. Wolfe has a very different narrative voice from book to book; The Urth of the New Sun is nothing like main tetralogy, which is very different from Latro in the Mist, which is very different from The Fifth Hand of Cerberus, which is very different (again) from Peace. I never feel like I'm coming to something familiar when I read a new Wolfe novel, aside from the presence of his usual conventions (e.g. unreliable narrators, hidden meanings (especially in names), and general abstruseness). I haven't read Wolfe since 2011, so it's probably time that I get There Are Doors and continue with it.

Yeah I really like how he finds new ways to make his narrators as interesting and unique if not more so than the narratives themselves. Interestingly enough, I'm about half way through In Green's Jungles now, and the narrative got really different from the first book.

While New Sun and Long Sun both felt like long singular novels which were simply divided into multiple books due to length, Short Sun so far actually feels like he put deliberate thought into differentiating each book in the trilogy. At least that's how it seems to me right now, we'll see how it goes in the third book when I get there.

Fjordson

metbaronshls2y.jpg

I've been wanting to get into more European comics for a while now, and I'm going to see that new documentary Jodorowsky's Dune this weekend, so I figured I would read some of his graphic novel work. It's all a bit difficult to track down here in the US, but I managed to find this hardcover collection on Amazon.

What an amazing read. It's so different from the mostly American graphic novels I've read in the past. It's an insane and intense space opera with an incredibly massive scope. And the art is fantastic. The space battles in particular look great.

tim1138

Just started reading The Martian by Andy Weir.
WbkgsSO.jpg

It's a hard realistic sci-fi where an astronaut gets left on Mars after and accident and has to survive in hope of that NASA will somehow get knowledge of his situation.

It is very exciting and very very funny and entertaining.

Best line:
"I'm fucked and I'm going to die"

Glad to hear this is good, looks like the copy I requested at the library is ready to be picked up.

Seanspeed

Banned
Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

Going to try to get through this finally. It's been a goal of mine for about... a year and a half now. Think I'm going to finally do it this time. Wish me luck.
I will! Its on my to-do list as well. Got a few pages and I was just feeling too impatient. You can sit there and spend a minute thinking about every god damn sentence! I had other stuff I was interested in reading, so put it on hold. That was over 6 months ago and still haven't gotten back yet. But yea, good luck. :)

I started

03aPHti.jpg

Sounded good. Sci-fi disaster stuff. My sort of thing!

ShaneB

Pretty sure that was a dream sequence.

Indeed it was.

I remember going to an Expos game in Montreal back in .. I wanna say 1998 or so. My mom, dad, and me were literally just about the only people in the stands. It was one of the most surreal moments of my life. I've been to single A games in Florida with more people.

Yeah, I've been to ball games and have been the only people in the upper decks. It's a pretty neat experience.

Sigh, I'm in a complete funk as to what I want to read. All I'm doing is looking through my collection constantly. Not sure what I'm in the mood for, or if I need to switch things up or something.

jred2k

I just got a Kindle yesterday and I decided to christen it with 1984. It's been a few years since I've read it, but it is interesting to revisit. The book seems even more relevant today than the first time I read it, which was only maybe 5 or 6 years ago.

I really love the Kindle so far, too. The links in the OP have been great to help me find deals, so far. I picked up "Before I Burn" this morning for $1.50 so that will be the next book I start. I can't help but feel like I will miss physical books, though. Watching the pages gradually go from weighted at the back of a book to the front is so satisfying.

Osorio

Still finishing up Blood Meridian. I'm definitely getting sucked into McCarthy's world, the wanton violence is creeping into my dreams occasionally.

Balancing time between Feast of the Goat and:

41UnSPazEDL.jpg

Gazoinks

I'm working my way through this
oe9HJcp.jpg

On "If This Goes On--" right now. It's good, obviously, although there's so many stories that I have a hard time picking out a favorite. It all kind of blends into one long narrative in my head. Which I suppose is part of the point. :p

Jarlaxle

I finished up Words of Radiance on Sunday. It's not often you finish an almost 1100 page book and wish you could jump right into the next one. The wait will be painful even if it isn't necessarily super long.

I just started this:

9780786965113_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I know it's just trashy fantasy but I still can't help but smile like I'm still 13 while reading it. These characters are like family to me. Just a quick comfort read.

Jintor

Anyone know any good Police Procedurals? Non-fiction, kinda like David Simon's "Homicide"; fiction, if mixed with fantasy, say. But I'll take anything right now.

David Copperfield. Dickens seems to love his commas. But it's a sleek and steady read, considering the time of its publication.

On that note, I put down Lolita for a little bit. Nabokov occasionally moves between two or three different languages within the same sentence, and it makes for a jarring read at times. I'm enjoying the story, but his writing is definitely a step in a different direction.

Fjordson

Cool downloading now, thanks.

EDIT: Also got these The Dunwich Horror -
The Call Of Cthulhu and City of the Dead
by Brian Keene
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with individual stories if you're looking to read Lovecraft. There are so many stories worth checking out.

There's a fantastic complete collection available for free from here - http://cthulhuchick.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/ - it's presented in order of creation and has everything you'll need.

I have it on my Kindle and it's really well done. Haven't noticed any spelling errors and the formatting is all top notch. No weird paragraph breaks or line spacing or anything like that.

SolKane

Finished the Caine Mutiny today, it was excellent. Hoping to work my way up to "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" eventually.

Lumiere

Neo Member
This last month I've been checking out a few women authors of speculative fiction that I hadn't read before. A few that I've already finished are:

Jane Yolen - Briar Rose
Nancy Kress - Beggars in Spain
Grass - Sheri S. Tepper
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M. Valente
The Many-Colored Land - Julian May

These were all quite interesting - I especially liked Jane Yolen's Briar Rose which was a very unexpected take on Sleeping Beauty (it also actually doesn't have any fantasy elements at all - I suspect it's categorized as such only because it's part of Tor's Fairy Tales Series).
Grass by Sheri S. Tepper also had some great (alien) world building and a very refreshing main character in a mother of two teenagers. :)
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland was just delightful all around. :D

Next up - Ammonite by Nicola Griffith. I also really want to read something by James Tiptree Jr.!

Nymerio

Still going through Fool's Fate. As much as I like Fitz, he's being an idiot with
Nettle. Just talk to the girl ffs. I know this is going to bite him somewhere down the line. It was kinda cool though that I knew he met his mother in the first book. It was a bit obvious when that crazy person started shouting Keppet at him, I always kept that at the back of my mind and now he remembers her in a dream. Maybe this will help him work through some of his issues.

monome

I finished up Word of Radiance late last month. I am borderline obsessed with it. I just adore the series so far. I don't expect most people to love it as much as I do. Something about the series just sits right with me.

Just started Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

17333324.jpg

The writing style is a bit annoying but I've started to grow used to it. Hopefully the plot starts picking up soon. Getting a bit bored to be honest (only 60 pages in though).

awesome book once you accept the slow burn pace and the bizarre yet unique narrative perspective.

Can't wait for the sequel. Ancillary Sword!!! (oct 2014)

Paganmoon

Well I'm about 100 pages into Honor Among Thieves, first Star Wars novel I'm reading (because of James SA Corey), and so for, not really that into it. Reads way too much like fan-fiction, I don't know if it's the setting (being about Han Solo) that does it, or that it pretty much is Fan-fiction (Ty Franck, half of the James SA Corey duo, being a big Star Wars fan).

Will ofcourse read it all, but well, not enjoying it as much I thought I would.

Bazza

Iain Banks - The Quarry

And then that's it, no more Iain Banks for me to read :'(

Gutted, i finished The Algebraist the morning it was announced he died, it was the last of his Scifi books i had to read and felt a little sad but fortunately i still had all his other fiction books to read at some point in the future.

Gutted, i finished The Algebraist the morning it was announced he died, it was the last of his Scifi books i had to read and felt a little sad but fortunately i still had all his other fiction books to read at some point in the future.

I hadn't read any of his books before he died but I recently decided to start from the beginning. I read The Wasp Factory which was a fantastic book so I look forward to plowing through the rest of his material.

the_idiot-large.jpg

Just finished The Idiot yesterday, and I loved it. I've read Crime and Punishment before which I fucking loved, but this one made me fall in love with the characters.

The simplicity of the Prince makes you feel so sorry for him. He shakes hands with people that have betrayed him, and when people openly laugh at him he genuinely joins in the laughter not understanding that it's at his expense.

I might keep going with Dostoevsky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom