• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

I got a job, so I can finally feel okay about ordering another $100 worth of books from bookdepository. Time to scour old threads!

On a side note, does anyone have any ideas about fantasy universes that have progressed past medeval stasis? I'm not talking about urban fantasy; I'm talking about places where elves and dwarves and stuff didn't get stuck for a thousand years without inventing the telephone, or something.

Besides Discworld.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Blends horror, science fiction, and fantasy seamlessly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In Kage Baker's "The Anvil of the World" series, the technology is closer to industrial Europe than Medieval Europe.

MikeDown

Banned
Just got these off Amazon, loving Noah so far, haven't started Saga yet.
noah-aronofsky-graphic-novel-cover-776x1024.jpg

vaughan-saga.jpg

Jintor

Technology-wise, Mistborn starts out feeling like a world on the cusp of an industrial revolution (minus gunpowder) , and then after the trilogy is a standalone novel that advances the setting a century or so, at which point i think the industrial revolution is actually happening? I'm not that far yet.

I can't actually say why it feels so much more modern and economically developed, given that technology isn't explicitly stated all that often.

Brain McClellan's Promise of Blood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promise_of_Blood

No elves, but the setting is Napoleonic(guns, cannons etc). The mages in that book get a lot of their power ingesting gun powder. The 2nd book comes out in May. I loved the 1st one. Brian also took Sanderson's class at BYU, so you can definitely see the similarities between the 2 authors. He's kind of like an R rated Sanderson.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Blends horror, science fiction, and fantasy seamlessly.

In Kage Baker's "The Anvil of the World" series, the technology is closer to industrial Europe than Medieval Europe.

Cheers guys. I'll go have a poke around.

Fjordson

I got a job, so I can finally feel okay about ordering another $100 worth of books from bookdepository. Time to scour old threads!

On a side note, does anyone have any ideas about fantasy universes that have progressed past medeval stasis? I'm not talking about urban fantasy; I'm talking about places where elves and dwarves and stuff didn't get stuck for a thousand years without inventing the telephone, or something.

Besides Discworld.
Dark Tower fo sho if you have't read that.

Karu

Not quite the right thread, if there is a more fitting one, I can edit. But it was announced that we get a new Kazuo Ishiguro-novel next year, which is fantastic news, considering that his last novel, the incredible Never Let Me Go was published in 2005. Really looking forward to it. I still have to read The Unconsoled and When We Were Orphans.

Currently still working through Sanderson's The Way of Kings and I am on the last pages of Peter Pan.

Empty

Not quite the right thread, if there is a more fitting one, I can edit. But it was announced that we get a new Kazuo Ishiguro-novel next year, which is fantastic news, considering that his last novel, the incredible Never Let Me Go was published in 2005. Really looking forward to it. I still have to read The Unconsoled and When We Were Orphans.

yay. i've been wondering recently what he was writing given that his collection of short stories was published five years ago

looking forward to seeing what he chooses to tackle.

i still need to read the unconsoled

Empty

Whoops, forgot the link. ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/apr/04/kazuo-ishiguro-novel-never-let-me-go-the-buried-giant

They didn't reveal the exact story yet, but the themes. Seems in line with his other works, which is not a bad thing. Yeah, I didn't mentioned Nocturnes, it's not on par with his novels in my mind.

he's tackling memory. surely not?!!

thanks for the link. i'm sure with such a wait they'll start with a tease then reveal more. the buried giant title does ring with the paris review quote in the article, i'd like to see him tackle that idea.

as for nocturnes i think ishiguro is much better suited to novel length stuff with how he constructs his stories, i didn't hate nocturnes as he's such a fluent writer i find him enjoyable to read most of the time but i don't think it's noteworthy. even when we are orphans which i think is worse has more potential interesting stuff in there, albeit wasted imo.

X-Frame

I'm about 60% done with A Clash of Kings and am enjoying it a lot more than A Game of Thrones, mostly because it is
much more different than the TV show's 2nd season. A lot of details changed for the show, and even major events too. With the previous book, it was almost 90% the same, so most of the suspense was gone when I read it. I just finished with Arya's chapter where she uses her ploy to name Jaqen as the last name to die not to free herself, Gendry, and Hot Pie like in the show, but to free the Northmen taken captive, and then to become the cupbearer of Roose Bolton who becomes the Lord of Harrenhal, not Tywin Lannister. Quite a large change! I like how this book is different, it's like reading about an alternate universe.

a_clash_of_kings.jpg

Peru

Wuthering Heights - a shocking read even today, but not a great "love story" as it is often called -- a hate story, as raw as any book ever published. The Brontës, in their 20s with their limited education, limited exposure to anything but modest surroundings, in Emily's case not really socializing with anyone, plucking these tales of life as a whole out of nowhere, were undeniably geniuses.

Still finishing up Blood Meridian. I'm definitely getting sucked into McCarthy's world, the wanton violence is creeping into my dreams occasionally.

Balancing time between Feast of the Goat and:

41UnSPazEDL.jpg
I had to read Burke for class about the sublime. It's funny seeing it here.
I'm reading This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Wiktor

About 2/3 through:
Very fun read. The author is obviously a gun nut and it shows. I don't care about firearms at all and yet while reading I can actually taste the love for them the characters have.

Very cliched setting, but the action is so well made that this doesn't bother me.

Finished Rex Miller's Slob.
Did you know "Chaingang" Bunkowski is a 500 pound killing machine? If you didn't, you would certainly know it if you read this book. Miller never wastes an opportunity to remind you of Chaingang's weight, or to detail his enormous girth. While Chaingang loves to eat (at one point he devours 36 tacos as a snack), he loves to kill even more. He uses his trusty chain to snap his victim's necks before cutting out and eating their hearts. Oh, and he also has a penchant for pissing in their bathroom sinks. All in all, he's a lovely fellow.

Practically the only thing uglier than Chaingang is Miller's writing style. The book is filled with terse, muscular prose that's stripped of any sense of stylistic flair. He has a tendency to use whip snapping perspective shifts that are totally jarring and can even be confusing. But even though it's a mess, the book works like gangbusters. The story is propulsive. Miller charges through his narrative, bulldozing over his major writing sins. If you dig 80s grimy and gritty horror fiction, Slob should be a no-brainer.

Up next:

2750547.jpg

I stumbled across this title on a list of great and obscure vampire books. It sounded interesting enough, so I thought I'd give it a chance. I'm always up for a good vampire story.

Jintor

Cop Hater by Ed McBain

Surprisingly good for something realtively pulpy written in 195- and that basically kickstarted its own genre. It's kind of amazing how little police procedurals have really deviated from this basic formula, though being as old as it is, it's a little plodding.

Pau

I finished the first part of The Book of the Long Sun and started on the second novel. I like the world and want to find out what the hell is happening, but nothing too dramatic has happened just yet. Not sure if I like Silk, although I certainly feel that I know him pretty well after the first book.

I'm waiting for crazy revelations and shit.

Took a break from the Malazan series after finishing book 3. (book 3 spoilers, delivering my impressions in a rather disjointed fashion)

I though the Chain of Dogs would be a tough act to follow in terms of brutal emotional abuse, but by god, The Seige of Capustan did its best to live up to that challenge. Jesus Christ how horrifying that was. Getting some explanation behind what happened with Fener and Heboric was interesting. It was mindbending to hear Dujek and Whiskeyjack upend all our assumptions about the empire's treatment of the Bridgeburners in such a casual, matter-of-fact way. Clearly, if things seem simple in this story, it's only because we're missing info.... I wonder what other deception is at work in my basic assumptions with regards to this story.

Miscellaneous emotional responses: KRUL CONFRIMED FOR BRO-GOD OF THE YEAR, ALL YEARS. IDK why but I love him. DUIKER YAAAAY I think. It's good he's alive to spread the story but shit he needs some serious therapy. TOK YAAAY. TOOL YAAAAAY. HIGH MAGE QUICK BEN YAAAY. WHISKEYJACK NOOOOOOO. In a book that has been so good about avoiding cliches through depth and characterization, I never expected "one mission away from retirement" to be played straight. However slowly they flay Kallor, it will not be excruciating enough. Poor Paran. not gonna get a peaceful retirement cause he's all important and magical now. Hopefully the other surviving Bridgeburners actually get away with having lives.
Who am I kidding this franchise is sure to amass a bodycount to make GRRM jealous.

I'm still on a fantasy kick, though. Reading Mistborn 2.
Vin is being a bitch to this Kandra. She needs to get over herself and use the resources available to her in the stressful situation. This is gonna bite her in the ass so hard.

Fjordson

I'm about 60% done with A Clash of Kings and am enjoying it a lot more than A Game of Thrones, mostly because it is
much more different than the TV show's 2nd season. A lot of details changed for the show, and even major events too. With the previous book, it was almost 90% the same, so most of the suspense was gone when I read it. I just finished with Arya's chapter where she uses her ploy to name Jaqen as the last name to die not to free herself, Gendry, and Hot Pie like in the show, but to free the Northmen taken captive, and then to become the cupbearer of Roose Bolton who becomes the Lord of Harrenhal, not Tywin Lannister. Quite a large change! I like how this book is different, it's like reading about an alternate universe.

a_clash_of_kings.jpg
Yeah, you'll love the next three books as well. Basically after season one the show and the books continue to diverge more and more. Most general points and characters are the same, but yeah.

Definitely keep at it. Best is yet to come.

X-Frame

Yeah, you'll love the next three books as well. Basically after season one the show and the books continue to diverge more and more. Most general points and characters are the same, but yeah.

Definitely keep at it. Best is yet to come.

Great! I am excited. I should finish with ACoK today and then I could start the next one.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Any recommendations for books on the Eastern Front during WWII? I'm listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Ghosts of the Ostfront and as usual he has me jonesing for more information.

I'm not looking for a deep treatise, but something that gives a good, easy to read overview of the conflict.

Check out Bloodlands by Timothy Snyder.

Got tipped off to Destroyermen, so I just picked up the first book. I suppose I am a fan of alternate history, and this is the most alternate of alternate.

Piecake

While I am still listening to the Karl Max Biography (Its quite good), I also started reading this

I am not very far in at all, but I quite like Holland's style so far. It wouldnt surprise me if there are a few mistakes/distortions, but he can sure tell an entertaining tale. Will definitely be reading his other work once I am finished with this. Hopefully he doesnt bring up the whole battle for Western Civilization shtick too much later in the book. I find that analysis simplistic, boring, uninteresting, and cheap.

Oh, also just finished Siddhartha, which I thought was great as well.

Nezumi

395568.jpg

After Words of Radiance I decided to jump back into the Garret P.I. series. The last one (Petty Pewter Gods) was a bit too crazy for my taste so I put the series on hold for a while. Not far into this one yet so I can't say if this is going to replace Old Tin Sorrows as my favorite of the series.

the-satanic-verses.jpg

Still listening to this and about halfway through. I really really like it but if i had the choice again I would read it instead of listening to the audiobook. It is just so rich and complex and jumps around a lot that even breaking concentration for a few seconds can throw you out of the story completly.

Jintor

Oooh, I've been meaning to start the Garret PI series. I just read through the preview for his first book, so I think I might go get the ebook later today

Raising Steam still isn't out in Paperback :T

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
About 3-months late.. but now 30-pages into The Quiet American by Graham Greene

Good writing so far, unsure what to think of it so far otherwise though.

Bandit1

Just finished The Getaway Man by Andrew Vachss. I enjoyed it. A neo-noir with an interesting choice of writing in the first person with a protagonist who wouldn't be considered "smart." The character isn't witty or dropping one-liners, or even cool, which I actually found refreshing, and there are no chapters, usually just sections that take up between half a page and two pages. Reminded me a bit of the movie "Drive."

Think I'm going to start The High Window by Ramond Chandler next.

mikeroth

407305.jpg

And oh my god is it interesting. Seriously. I love books.

EDIT: Why did that come out sounding so sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be at all. I just can't read it back with out dumping loads of sarcasm all over it. I'm being serious though. This is a great book.

DOUBLE EDIT: Still can't read it with out thinking I'm subconsciously being sarcastic! What is wrong with me?!?! I think my internal war with itself is reaching a climax and I'm losing my mind.

Jintor

i only read it as sarcastic once you said you were reading it as sarcastic. and by sarcastic, i mean, i read it in a valley girl voice

Chorazin

Reading the third book of the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, and just re-upped my Audible subscription and started listening to Jonathan Maberry's Patient Zero.

ymmv

Banned
Now reading:

13348347235_960be43162.jpg

Not much to tell, since I'm only on page 50.

BTW I just noticed that the atmospheric cover art was created by Darrell K. Sweet. He used to be a pretty good artist, but the quality of his work deteriorated rather rapidly in his later years, yet he was still kept on for those horrid Wheel of Time books.

I started out really liking the book. Peter Beagle wrote the book when he was only 19 years old, but you would never know it from the mature style or the deft portrayal of the characters. Unfortunately, wonderful sentences are IMO a means to an end. I started out totally engrossed in the book but with each chapter ennui started creeping in because nothing actually happened and the characters were going over the same topics again and again. I started skipping a few sentences, then I began speed reading

Now reading:

n60026.jpg

This historical mystery set in Roman times is more like it.

n439037.jpg

Almost done with this. It's an excellent entry into the series and seems to be as good as any of a jumping-on point for new readers. It summarizes past adventures well, and throws a bunch of past elements back into Joe's face a few times as the story goes on.

My only problem so far is that
we're introduced to a new character, Colonel Riggs, who not only is apparently one of the senior officers of the DMS and has been for years, but is also apparently as good, if not better than, the main character. And he's been handling just as many high profile cases as Joe this entire time. Yet we haven't heard of him so far?
I'm guessing that the guy plays an integral point to the plot later on, because his sudden introduction seems a bit forced and awkward.

I don't know what I'll read next. I have about 15 books I've bought over the last two months to choose from, but I'm not sure which one I'll do
KuGsj.gif

sgossard

2014 thus far

av9lR9i.png

Just finished The Sisters brothers and it was all kinds of awesome. Thanks Shane for kinda recommending it.

Just started

18369178.jpg

Anybody know any good books about the gold rush?

Mumei

I'm currently reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara. The latter wasn't even on my radar, but I saw it at the library and the cover looked intriguing, and the blurb quotes that said it was, "a Nabokovian phantasmagoria, bound to raise interesting, troubling questions," and that the narrator was, "misanthropic and grotesque yet simultaneously magnetic," and so forth had me sold.

I'm about 2/3 into it, and I really like it. Definitely recommend it.

I can't wait for the live action adaptation of THAT SCENE.

Whyyyyy

*shudder*

ShaneB

Just finished The Sisters brothers and it was all kinds of awesome. Thanks Shane for kinda recommending it.

Yeah, just saw that you liked my review. It was indeed all kinds of awesome!

Sigh, I'm still so stumped as to what to read, nothing is clicking at all, and no idea what the heck I'm in the mood for. Tried The Last Policeman, but just not much interest in continuing. Watching GoT last night did spark maybe a fantasy/medieval kick again, so will keep looking.

I'm currently reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara. The latter wasn't even on my radar, but I saw it at the library and the cover looked intriguing, and the blurb quotes that said it was, "a Nabokovian phantasmagoria, bound to raise interesting, troubling questions," and that the narrator was, "misanthropic and grotesque yet simultaneously magnetic," and so forth had me sold.

The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
The cover does look good. Reminds me of something from Studio Ghibli. The blurb _does_ sound good (Yes, Nabokov!), but in looking for the cover, I read some Goodreads reviews, and opinions really seem to be polarized! Interested to hear what you think after you read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom