• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

I also finished reading The Lowland. It started out very slowly and had no effect on me while it dealt with the political instability of India in the 60s and 70s and the separation of the two brothers, but after certain events the story really hit me hard. The themes of isolation, the unhappiness of a marriage life, and family values really resonated well with me especially in the last 50 pages when the original main characters have well grown into their last years of life. I really liked this a lot and now I want to check out other stuff written by Lahiri.
I wasn't aware that Lahiri had another book besides The Namesake and Interpreter of Maladies. I haven't really liked her other stuff, but I wanna give this a try.

I haven't been able to read a lot this week so I'm still on The Litany of the Long Sun. :(

Jag

Finished reading Salem's Lot. I have now read a handful of his books and several short stories and while Stephen King constantly makes all of these fantastic universes I am absolutely flustered by the fact that he never seems to give concrete endings. A lot of his books end, at least from what I've experienced, somewhat open-ended and with lots of questions unanswered. Maybe I'm complaining about not being hit over the head with a baseball bat of blunt closure or something, but I have found it quite annoying.

Not sure if you have read Dark Tower yet, but it might make your head asplode.

Bazza

Decided to read the Mistborn series before reading Sanderson's other books. The Final Empire was enjoyable, few twists here and there
definitely didn't expect Kelsier to die
really interested to see how things unfold, will get started on book 2 at lunchtime.

Nymerio

Finished Fool's Fate yesterday. The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy are among the best books I've ever read. I think I'll be taking a break from the fantasy genre now. I think that whatever I'd read next I'd be disappointed in after reading this series.

Tugatrix

Anyway, started reading this. Really enjoying it so far:
th

Does it have many America f*ck yeah?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finished the Wolf in Winter by John Connolly, the 12th of the Charlie Parker series. As usual they are very good, one of my favorite ongoing thriller series, and this was one of my favorites. Even if it was a bit of a slow burn, and had a somewhat anticlimactic ending. But his writing and characters are fantastic.

NvGAZLK.jpg

Also finished a few more of the Garrett Files, now on #5, and they've been consistently pretty damn good.

Aslo started Words of Radiance

B33wz7E.jpg

obin_gam

A little over half way through NEXUS: ASCENSION
51okAezshPL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

It is severely disappointing. Starts good, turns a bit boring, and then turns to ugh. But it cost alot of money for being an audiobook so I have to finish it...

Does it have many America f*ck yeah?

I'm only ~ 1/4th through it but not really. Actually, he complains quite a bit about how badly he was treated by civilians either against the war or simply showing no support. He also complains a lot about his superior officers not throwing his team into battle more often.

But he also goes on about how patriotic he is and how patriotic everyone else should be but it's a pretty enjoyable read so far. It gives lots of insight into special operations soldiers.

Not sure if you have read Dark Tower yet, but it might make your head asplode.

Ugh. I was thinking about getting that. Aren't there like 7 or 8 books or something in it? I might just get the first one this summer and see how it goes. Any recommended editions or anything?

Will start reading Dark Tower soonish, like once I'm on summer vacation. Have NO IDEA what it's about either, so looks like I may be in for a treat :)

Same. I know nothing about it but have heard good things about it.

Mumei

I'm currently reading Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories.

First impressions: Man, this is racist and pulp-y.

Hahaha yeah they are super racist.

Idk if he actually was racist. I think he had a character later on who is Black and was a hero in much the same way Conan is. But the Conan stories are incredible overall, if you ever get a chance to read Howard's letters to Lovecraft they're pretty amazing.

Woorloog

Banned

I have the omnibus sitting on my self. I've never managed to read further than the history section. Which is kind of nonsensical. People devolve to apes and back to humans?

Need to try to read it one more time. This time i'll just skip the damn history.

Mumei

I have the omnibus sitting on my self. I've never managed to read further than the history section. Which is kind of nonsensical. People devolve to apes and back to humans?

Need to try to read it one more time. This time i'll just skip the damn history.

Yeah, the history is what I'm talking about. I'm only a few pages into the story proper.

Hahaha yeah they are super racist.

Idk if he actually was racist. I think he had a character later on who is Black and was a hero in much the same way Conan is. But the Conan stories are incredible overall, if you ever get a chance to read Howard's letters to Lovecraft they're pretty amazing.

Well, he's certainly racist by modern standards. He might not have been especially racist by the standards of his own time - but his own time set a pretty high bar for that mark.

ShaneB

Finished up "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" last night, and gave it 4/5, really interesting read, and as mentioned in my review, when I got to the stuff about the ISS I couldn't stop reading. Only small hiccups early on when it felt like some messages felt heavy handed about self-help and whatnot. I just wanted to hear more of his stories!

Will decide what is next on my lunch break. edit: ugh, not sure what to read. Still feel like I'm in a space mood, so maybe I'm itching to check out some sci-fi or some more nonfiction from astronauts.

I just started after literally devouring Neuromancer pretty much in a single day, nothing had pulled me in like it since I read Hyperion by Dan Simmons I think. I'm not expecting Count Zero to be half as good but that doesn't mean it isn't being really nice as far as I've gotten.

gibson2_detail_em.jpg

fakefaker

A little over half way through NEXUS: ASCENSION
51okAezshPL._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

It is severely disappointing. Starts good, turns a bit boring, and then turns to ugh. But it cost alot of money for being an audiobook so I have to finish it...

Ugh I feel for you. I read it and wasn't too impressed with it either. Lucky enough when I bought the book, it was in the bargain section at Chapters so the hit wasn't too bad.

obin_gam

Ugh I feel for you. I read it and wasn't too impressed with it either. Lucky enough when I bought the book, it was in the bargain section at Chapters so the hit wasn't too bad.

It got a beautiful and epic cover, along with a description that tells of a grimdark lost in space kinda story. How do you fuck that up? :(

fakefaker

It got a beautiful and epic cover, along with a description that tells of a grimdark lost in space kinda story. How do you fuck that up? :(

In this case, badly? I wish I could tell you to stick it out as it gets better, but it doesn't. Funny thing is, I think the author wants/wanted to make this a trilogy. I hope poor sales stop him...

As for me, my order came in today and I'm gonna jump right into one of the books, that being The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.

17910048.jpg

You're a braver person than I am to stick it out.

I jumped ship on the Bond stuff a third of the way through the second book, when Ian Fleming cemented himself as a racist, sexist douchebag. I...can't.

Krowley

I'm only ~ 1/4th through it but not really. Actually, he complains quite a bit about how badly he was treated by civilians either against the war or simply showing no support. He also complains a lot about his superior officers not throwing his team into battle more often.

But he also goes on about how patriotic he is and how patriotic everyone else should be but it's a pretty enjoyable read so far. It gives lots of insight into special operations soldiers.

Ugh. I was thinking about getting that. Aren't there like 7 or 8 books or something in it? I might just get the first one this summer and see how it goes. Any recommended editions or anything?

Same. I know nothing about it but have heard good things about it.

One thing about the Darktower: If you're you're going to read it at all, don't stop until you get to the second book. The first book has its strong points (great atmosphere, and cool setting), but it is very different from the rest of the series. King wrote it when he was in his early 20s before he was famous, and the style is so different from his normal writing that it almost feels like a totally different person at times. The second book was written much later. It is more typical of King, and much better (imo). Luckily, the first book is also very short so it won't take you long to get through it and get into the better stuff.

After that the style continues to evolve. Since the series basically spans his whole career, the books at the end are different stylistically from the books in the beginning. Sometimes the changes can feel kind of abrupt if you're reading the books very close together.

Despite these issues, I personally think the Dark Tower series is King's best work, but based on your earlier comments, you might not like the ending. People tend to either love it or hate it. I loved it, but I also liked the Salem's Lot ending just fine.

Also... For the first book, King did a slight revision on it in 2003 to bring it a little more in line with the rest of the series. That's probably the copy you want to get.

I enjoyed Count Zero for what it was, a follow-up to an unfollowupable debut. The only narrative I didn't particularly care for as the novel went on was Turner's, but even that one had its moments. The Matrix stuff is awesome, too.

Anyone see a bit of Cayce, from Pattern Recognition, in Marly?

Mumei

You're a braver person than I am to stick it out.

I jumped ship on the Bond stuff a third of the way through the second book, when Ian Fleming cemented himself as a racist, sexist douchebag. I...can't.

I'm just pretty good at compartmentalizing; I like some parts and I dislike other parts and my dislike for some parts doesn't necessarily ruin the entire experience. I think it helps that it's clearly a pulp and the racism is written in this... I don't know, it comes across as earnest cluelessness rather than as coming from a place of antipathy. It's not like reading Lovecraft racism. It might still bother people enough to drop it, but I'm less sensitive than that, I guess.

I'm just pretty good at compartmentalizing; I like some parts and I dislike other parts and my dislike for some parts doesn't necessarily ruin the entire experience. I think it helps that it's clearly a pulp and the racism is written in this... I don't know, it comes across as earnest cluelessness rather than as coming from a place of antipathy. It's not like reading Lovecraft racism. It might still bother people enough to drop it, but I'm less sensitive than that, I guess.

I try to be like that with most things, but I couldn't do it with Fleming. Something about naming your book chapters with racist slurs just turned me off to the man's work.

Product of an unfortunate era, I suppose.

It gives lots of insight into special operations soldiers.

It surprised me with how often they strangled each other into unconciousness as a 'joke' (several times while driving) and also how often they started bar fights as an illustration of their inability to cope with boredom when not training or fighting ... and ironically their capacity to cope with it while in action or rather incredibly long periods of inactivity whilst in a state of heightened concentration ...

Tony Redgrave, Neuromancer! : D Such a fun read! I have Count Zero and Monalisa Overdrive to go through also, but yeah, I think it will be hard to match Neuro

I'm still slowly going through Treasure Island atm. Currently about 1/5 into it.

But I think my next book will be Count Zero !

Piecake

I just finished this. It was quite good, but man, I really did not realize that Franklin was such an ass to his family. It seems he cared a lot more about comfort and interesting conversations than deep bonds. I mean, thats fine, but don't go and get a wife and kids, and then proceed to not give a shit about them by not seeing your wife for the last 15 years of her life and miss her funeral, and then go out of your way to miss your son and daughter's weddings. It was really sad how his kids tried to gain his love and affection and he just basically shat on them. I felt more sympathy for William, the illegitimate traitor, than him.

I thought Franklin would be my most liked founding father. Nope. Its kinda weird because this book was definitely trying to get you to like Franklin, but I guess that says more about my biases and preferences than Franklin. To be a good person, I apparently think that its more important to love and care for your family than do good works for the community. *the more you know.gif*

John Adams does not come off too well in this, so that is somewhat difficult to work with my picture of him from David McCollugh's book. Still, I would imagine that it is very easy to get negative opinion of Adams on a cursory examination. The dude wrote down everything and was not guarded in his feelings at all.

I am currently reading this one

I am only in the preface, but so far it is looking quite good.

Jintor

Avarice by Annie Bellet

In my ongoing quest for research material for stuff in roughly the same field as what I'm thinking of writing (Police Procedural, Fantasy Universe) I picked up this little cheapo book for a fiver. It wasn't great at being either a fantasy novel or a police procedural. But it wasn't horrifically bad either, so... I dunno.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why haven't I realized the existence of this thread before.............

Anyways,

April is a busy month! These are all the books I have and want to read right now:

Lilith's Brood, a collection of three works of Xenogenesis by Octavia Butler.
Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.
Hell House by Richard Matteson.
New Tales of the Ctulhu Mythos, edited by Ramsey Campbell
Night Shift by Stephen King
Nightmare and Dreamscapes by Stephen King
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

Aaaaaand:

The entire released books so far for A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons. I never watched the TV show since I am not an avid TV watcher, but I do like reading novels. Don't know what to expect but pretty excited considering how famous this is!

Damn, so many stuff to read, I don't know where to start, hahaha.

overcast

Figure this is a good a place as any to ask. Anybody know of a great (American) children's story I can read? Need it for a class. Can't be picture books and not quite Young Adult. Something in between.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Would love to start reading it as soon as possible. Doing a book report, so something that would lend itself to some interpretation would be lovely.

ymmv

Banned
Figure this is a good a place as any to ask. Anybody know of a great (American) children's story I can read? Need it for a class. Can't be picture books and not quite Young Adult. Something in between.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Would love to start reading it as soon as possible. Doing a book report, so something that would lend itself to some interpretation would be lovely.

Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time
Frank L. Baum The Wizard of Oz
Frances Hodgson Burnett - The Little Princess
Mark Twain - The Prince and the Pauper

GRW810

Will start reading Dark Tower soonish, like once I'm on summer vacation. Have NO IDEA what it's about either, so looks like I may be in for a treat :)
Dark Tower is an amazing journey embark on. My favourite... well, anything. It's my favourite anything, ever. I've never experienced anything close to it in terms of scale, depth and genre variety.

Right now reading 'The Scar' by China Miéville. So far it's an interesting follow-up to 'Perdido Street Station', both settled in the 'new weird' genre, an intriguing, dark scifi/fantasy setting.

TheScar(1stEd).jpg

Dark Tower is an amazing journey embark on. My favourite... well, anything. It's my favourite anything, ever. I've never experienced anything close to it in terms of scale, depth and genre variety.

I started to dislike the later books:
I think King put too much focus onto the fantasy parts and gradually left out the more horroresque and adventurous parts. Also I hated that he put himself into the books, was a real deal breaker for me. Best books were the first 2, maybe 3. Then it declined in quality... :( But I loved the time with the first books!

Finished The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas.

In the 80s Stephen King churned out two things: bestsellers and cover blurbs. Much like the coke fueled novels he pounded out, his cover blurbs were equally suspect. The quote that graces the Vampire Tapestry cover is probably his most head-scratching quotes. The book is anything but scary. In fact, creating scares was the last thing on the Suzy McKee Charnas's mind.

In the five connected novellas that comprise the book, Charnas's vampire is largely devoid of traditional horror trappings. Its a more ground approach that deals with the creature as a real animal, instead of a supernatural being. It's an interesting approach that largely works, even when the novellas don't.

The biggest problems is the characters. They're mostly an aloof and unpleasant lot, especially the vampire Dr. Weyland. He's described as handsome and fatherly, but behaves like a major asshole. He's rude and cruel and rarely has time for anyone. As a result it's hard to see how he ever became so respected. But when the characters aren't unpleasant douchebags, the stories shine. "The Unicorn Tapestry", the novel's heart, is great and makes up for the rest of the book's shortcomings. The central premise of a vampire going to a therapist (and pretending he's delusional) is compelling. The characters aren't fuckwads and it also represents the only time Charnas makes Weyland menacing.

Overall, I can't really recommend the book, although I ultimately liked it. The parts that are great, truly are great. Charnas writes eloquently about the effects of time on a vampire and the loneliness of its existence. Those passages, and "The Unicorn Tapestry" ultimately make me forgive the book's more unpleasant qualities.

Up next:

218629.jpg

This is one of three Ramsey Campbell books I've always wanted to read (the others being The Doll Who Ate His Mother and Hungry Moon) but never really had a chance. I recently bought a nice hardcover edition from Millipede Press, so I thought I'd finally give it a shot.

The Scar.
Pride and Prejudice.
Stories of Your Life.

Best Served Cold, if you like Fantasy.

Will look into these!

^-- Any particular genre?

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2450538-louise?shelf=female-protagonist

I don't think I've been keeping up with the shelving though, because it looks like most of the books in that shelf are paranormal romance =/

Could you be a little more specific? :p

Well I'm on a bit of a fantasy kick right now but I don't mind a mystery or two

I just finished this. It was quite good, but man, I really did not realize that Franklin was such an ass to his family.

Read this some time ago when it first came out, also enjoyed but thought it was a little light at times. As to Franklin as a man, well, you'll be similarly disappointed by reading any of the serious biographies of Mohandas Gandhi, too, not the most wonderful family man.

I finished Gene Wolfe's "The Citadel of the Autarch." ★★★★ - I still don't know what the heck is going on in several places, but at least the overall framework makes sense now. I feel a lesser writer would have bumbled this story to bits.

Also, this story is insane.

I'm starting Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, as well as Grave Peril by Jim Butcher.

The latter will be the make or break chance for Dresden to win me over.

Piecake

Read this some time ago when it first came out, also enjoyed but thought it was a little light at times. As to Franklin as a man, well, you'll be similarly disappointed by reading any of the serious biographies of Mohandas Gandhi, too, not the most wonderful family man.

Oh yea, it is definitely a popular biography. I basically picked this one because it was the only Franklin Biography up on audible. I would have preferred Brands' one, but I felt that this got the job done.

The Founding Brothers is excellent so far though. It is turning out to be one of my favorite history books. It has a great balance of narrative and insight. Very entertaining and compelling/interesting.

I'm starting Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, as well as Grave Peril by Jim Butcher.

The latter will be the make or break chance for Dresden to win me over.

The first two Dresden books IMO are crap. This book is awesome and sets the entire rest of the series. Even in the audiobook version Butcher gives the intro and admits that this book is where the series takes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom