• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2015)

You finished annihilation and a few chapters of authority in less than a day ?
Man some of you guys are fast fucking readers. My first language isnt english but even in french I can't read that fast.

Annihilation is a short book . . . Especially if you have a few hours to kill, it's very doable in a day.

I didnt realize that Shannara series was still going, I read the original trilogy a few years ago but gave up reading more since my library was so spotty with releases. Only bring it up since I see a new Shannara book is coming this summer. Maybe Ill start the series over this summer, now that I could just get them all on kindle or paperback.

pa22word

Gah, I love this thread too much, yet have been abstaining from participating because every time I stop in here I order at least three books x_x

Loved basically everything I've picked up based on rec's here though, so even though my wallet (and SO >.>) screams, I can't say I don't enjoy it!

mdubs

Banned
31Mc45Hnd9L.jpg

Nintendo Magic by Osamu Inoue.

Behind the scenes look at Nintendo during the Wii and DS generation (published in 2012). Has direct interviews with Iwata and Miyamoto which apparently is a rarity in published form, and a number of interesting annecdotes. Did you know that Iwata is actually a big personal Apple fan, buying using and iPhone, iPod and Mac and buys the new one every year?

It's a bit of a puff piece at times, but quite neat.

As a follow up for finishing 1Q84:

I actually liked this quite a bit mostly because it's got the usual Murakami stylistic traits, but the story doesn't really go anywhere for as long as it is. Found the ending personally very satisfying but a lot of people would definitely be shaking their head at how convenient everything ends up being. Still enjoyed the journey though, waiting for my copy of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to ship. I've burned through the more realistic stuff by him, the time has finally come to delve into the more surrealist side (Kafka on the Shore, A Wild Sheep Chase etc.)

Meteorain

175983.jpg

Finished Deadhouse Gates and just immediately jumped into this. Glad I stuck with the series after Gardens of the Moon. He really stepped up his writing, and I really like the expansive scale of the books.

Mumei

I started reading The Voyage of the Basilisk, by Marie Brennan. It's just the sort of charmingly written, light work that I need after putting myself through the wringer recently.

21893608.jpg

It's a very fun series. It's a memoir by a woman of some means living in a pseudo-Victorian-expy setting, who is forced to buck the gender conventions of her society and having to jump through no small number of hoops in order to fulfill her dream of being a dragon naturalist. You can definitely see how the author, "habitually pillages her background in anthropology, archaeology, and folklore for fictional purposes," as her author bio says. I wasn't expecting it to be this; I was expecting something like rather more focus on dragons and far less focus on the social stuff, and it might be because of this that I thought the first book in the series, A Natural History of Dragons, was the weakest. It just wasn't what I was expecting. It may also have been because it took so long to get going, but by the second book I'd definitely warmed up to the series, and about a third of the way into this one it is probably my favorite so far.

Library sale book haul! Sorry for crappy quality. That's Neuromancer next to Lonesome Dove. Fantasy, western, sci-fi. Basically the definition of a good Ben Graven book haul. :)

oh, Jpod. Pretty neat, but Gen-A is better, imo.

Though I obviously
am still looking for that one prime number.
(you'll get it when you get there)

Nuke Soda

Finished The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao and really liked it. I wasn't quite as in love with it by the end as I was in the beginning, but it was still really good. Probably had something to do with Yunior the narrator getting repetitive, things happened, Oscar was a fat loser and then Yunior banged some chick. The biggest praise I can give the book is that I did not want to put the sucker down, the characters were rich, the story funny and sad, and the cities in the book felt so alive outside of the characters (which is hard to do). Seriously can't get over how well written the characters were, each one felt real.

KidDork

Not to be a bitch, but I don't see why an adult would read WoT when there is soooo much other stuff out there of unquestionable quality. Shrug.

I'm reading it because it keeps coming up in any discussion of fantasy literature. You can't escape it. I care about the genre, and I thought I'd read the damned thing so I'll have an honest opinion about it instead of just a kneejerk reaction.

I'm hoping I get a sainthood for this. Maybe a Hugo or something.

W1SSY

Finished The Forever War and it was the best book I have read in awhile. Went in expecting nothing but combat but was pleasantly surprised how little combat was the focus. Now I need to find my next book. Was thinking about reading the next book in the series but what I read said it's not a direct sequel so I might put it off for a bit and read something else.

TTG

Getting prepared to start my fourth reading of

What a great novel.

Couldn't get into it at all and it's not like the book was without promise, the premise is interesting and the prose is great in places. What turned out to be a fatal flaw was the author trying really hard to show how clever he is. At the outset it's only irritating, then clearly to the detriment of everything else, finally it seemed to be pervading the book entirely. I generally have the tolerance to stick it out through faults, but knowing that another one of Pynchon's onanistic episodes was invariably on the other side of every page ground things to a halt quickly. I think I stopped mid sentence somewhere not too long after page 50 and I really did want to like it(the banana breakfast scene was so good!).

Piecake

Couldn't get into it at all and it's not like the book was without promise, the premise is interesting and the prose is great in places. What turned out to be a fatal flaw was the author trying really hard to show how clever he is. At the outset it's only irritating, then clearly to the detriment of everything else, finally it seemed to be pervading the book entirely. I generally have the tolerance to stick it out through faults, but knowing that another one of Pynchon's onanistic episodes was invariably on the other side of every page ground things to a halt quickly. I think I stopped mid sentence somewhere not too long after page 50 and I really did want to like it(the banana breakfast scene was so good!).

I have very little patience for authors who make me spend too much time simply figuring out what the hell they are saying. As a result, I do not like Pynchon, Joyce, and authors like them.

TTG

I have very little patience for authors who make me spend too much time simply figuring out what the hell they are saying. As a result, I do not like Pynchon, Joyce, and authors like them.

Have you tried Infinite Jest? It's sometimes perceived as occupying the same space as Pynchon, so that may be a deterrent. It's also a thousand pages long with a number of self contained stories(tertiary characters sometimes get chapters devoted to them that DFW considers important thematically, but really have next to nothing to do with the plot), so it asks a certain... state from the reader. To compound what already seems like an uninviting work, two of those stories that work the least are in like the first quarter of the book, that's one of the ETA residents waiting to binge on some marijuana and the child abuse stuff narrated in a slang dialect(those who have read it will know).

Long story short, I read it earlier this year and it's sort of one of my favorite books ever. I don't want to gush, but apart from Dostoevsky, I don't know if I love any other book more, at least not right now. It's charming and profoundly sad and laugh out loud funny; somehow incredibly heartfelt and earnest and intricate at the same time. It also tackles uniquely modern(ahem, first world) problems.

If anyone is on the fence, try Consider the Lobster(a collection of essays/articles of which most are probably available online for free from the publications where they were originally printed) to get a feel for what his mind is like.

Piecake

Have you tried Infinite Jest? It's sometimes perceived as occupying the same space as Pynchon, so that may be a deterrent. It's also a thousand pages long with a number of self contained stories(tertiary characters sometimes get chapters devoted to them that DFW considers important thematically, but really have next to nothing to do with the plot), so it asks a certain... state from the reader. To compound what already seems like an uninviting work, two of those stories that work the least are in like the first quarter of the book, that's one of the ETA residents waiting to binge on some marijuana and the child abuse stuff narrated in a slang dialect(those who have read it will know).

Long story short, I read it earlier this year and it's sort of one of my favorite books ever. I don't want to gush, but apart from Dostoevsky, I don't know if I love any other book more, at least not right now. It's charming and profoundly sad and laugh out loud funny; somehow incredibly heartfelt and earnest and intricate at the same time. It also tackles uniquely modern(ahem, first world) problems.

If anyone is on the fence, try Consider the Lobster(a collection of essays/articles of which most are probably available online for free from the publications where they were originally printed) to get a feel for what his mind is like.

I have not read it, but I have always been somewhat interested in giving it a shot. Your love of Dostoevsky is also bumping IJ up my long to-read list.

Really, my only requirements for enjoying and becoming invested in a work is if it has good characters, good character development and good character interaction. If the characters are flat then I am not going to like it. If I have to spend 5 minutes figuring out what the hell the characters are about about and are talking about because the writing is purposely unclear, confusing, and cryptic then I am not going to like it. Frankly, I think that is just bad writing.

I'm currently reading the first Discworld novel and I'm shocked at how much I like it. I really don't like fantasy most of the time, but this is quickly becoming like Hitchhiker's Guide, one of my favorite books despite being in a genre I'm completely disinterested in.

The only think I don't like are the character names, I'm guessing their supposed to be parodies of ridiculous fantasy names in other books but they just seem kind of... dumb.

I looked up recommendations of where to go next and I think I'm going to pick up Mort and Guards! Guards! when I'm done.

yepyepyep

In 2012 I bought Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment and The Idiot but I never got around to reading them till recently. I enjoyed both immensely so now I am reading Notes from the Underground/ The Double. Yesterday I bought Don DeLillo's Underworld which I will probably read next.

I'm currently reading the first Discworld novel and I'm shocked at how much I like it. I really don't like fantasy most of the time, but this is quickly becoming like Hitchhiker's Guide, one of my favorite books despite being in a genre I'm completely disinterested in.

The only think I don't like are the character names, I'm guessing their supposed to be parodies of ridiculous fantasy names in other books but they just seem kind of... dumb.

I looked up recommendations of where to go next and I think I'm going to pick up Mort and Guards! Guards! when I'm done.

I didn't enjoy the first five Discworld novels much outside of Mort which is really great. The series starts getting really good with Wyrd Sisters imo. All the Lancre coven books are among my top rated. Followed by the City Watch books. And the Tiffany Aching books are nothing to sneer at either.

I didn't enjoy the first five Discworld novels much outside of Mort which is really great. The series starts getting really good with Wyrd Sisters imo. All the Lancre coven books are among my top rated. Followed by the City Watch books. And the Tiffany Aching books are nothing to sneer at either.

Which are the first five?

From what I understand there's a few main series within Discworld, Rincewind's books, Death's, some about some witches, and the ones about the Night Watch. From what I understand all of them are pretty different tonally? And you can jump back and forth between series no problem (you might miss some small references to other series) but each series does need to be read in order?

It's kind of overwhelming, there's so many books. Also kind of weird that he didn't name the book more accurately, for example Mort could be subtitled "Death Book 1" and whatever book comes after Color of Magic could be subtitled "Rincewind Book 2" and it'd be a lot less confusing.

I first heard about this author because, along with Arthur Conan Doyle, he is the namesake of Conan Edogawa. He is also widely considered the father of Japanese mystery writing.

Beast in the Shadows is excellent.

Mifune

Mehmber
Getting prepared to start my fourth reading of

415.jpg

What a great novel.

Finished my second reading of it last year. Astonishing book. I love how Pynchon can befuddle you with math equations, ease the pain with some Marx Brothers routine, then break your heart within the span of a few pages.

Rymuth

51yLmONpuGL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

After so much Dakka Dakka from the Horus Heresy books, I've decided to delve into some Inquisition stories, hoping for more subtferuge and a closer in-depth look at the Imperial system.

Safe to say, it's Dan Abnett. Not much else needs to be said...although I'm not digging the first person narrative (only the Ciaphas Cain books REALLY pull off 1st person narrative), the plot more than makes it up for it.

Which are the first five?

From what I understand there's a few main series within Discworld, Rincewind's books, Death's, some about some witches, and the ones about the Night Watch. From what I understand all of them are pretty different tonally? And you can jump back and forth between series no problem (you might miss some small references to other series) but each series does need to be read in order?

It's kind of overwhelming, there's so many books. Also kind of weird that he didn't name the book more accurately, for example Mort could be subtitled "Death Book 1" and whatever book comes after Color of Magic could be subtitled "Rincewind Book 2" and it'd be a lot less confusing.

The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic (direct sequel to The Colour of Magic), Equal Rites (first appearance of Granny Weatherwax so it's all right), Mort (fantastic), and Sourcery (ehhhhhhhh) are the first five.

Never been fond of the Rincewind books overall. The Lost Continent is entertaining because it lampoons Australia. But other than that eh. And yeah, you can jump between sub series with minimal problems except you might miss out on some jokes/references. I've read through about 32 total and it was totally worth it just to see the recurring jokes.

The best books in the series are the Lancre coven books.

Wyrd Sisters
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum

Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat Garlick play off each other beautifully. All the books in this sub series are hilarious as well as being fairly insightful.

Then you have the Tiffany Aching books which sort of tie in to the Lancre coven books.

The Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight

They're great for featuring the Lancre witches as well as having a young protagonist who isn't insufferable.

Then the city watch books are also top notch.

Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud!
Snuff

Again they're funny with a good cast of characters who play off each other well, and they really make you think.

And finally the Death books.

Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Hogfather
Thief of Time

They're the most fun of the lot I think. As well as being the ones that give you the most to contemplate.

All the rest (barring the Rincewind books which aren't really all that) are basically one offs that can stand alone and while good they do not measure up to these four sub series.

Akahige

You finished annihilation and a few chapters of authority in less than a day ?
Man some of you guys are fast fucking readers. My first language isnt english but even in french I can't read that fast.
Annihilation was only around 130 pages, though each page had a lot of text so maybe 200 for a regular book. Authority has been taking me longer, the writing is denser and not as straightforward.

What turned out to be a fatal flaw was the author trying really hard to show how clever he is. I really did want to like it(the banana breakfast scene was so good!).

Yes, understandable common criticism, though it turns out his cleverness is quite good once you understand what is going on. And there are so many more great litte scenes like that in the book.

I think what really gets people the first time they read it is the POV shifts in the memory sequences. That and the scientific, historical, and math stuff. Oh, and the fact that it is a WWII book without any real battle scenes. :)

Have you ever resorted to a reader's guide, or are you attacking this on your own? Just curious...

I have worked on the book quite a bit for both my undergrad and masters, so guides (Weisenburger's and the wiki) for sure. This time I probably going to read "clean." Well, as much as I can. I think the last time I read it was in 2010, and I have been working on other stuff since then, so a good deal has probably been lost.

Finished my second reading of it last year. Astonishing book. I love how Pynchon can befuddle you with math equations, ease the pain with some Marx Brothers routine, then break your heart within the span of a few pages.

This for sure. The Jessica/Roger sections are some of my favorite for this exact reason. Oh, and the counterforce section has some soul-crushing parts.

I'm a Pynchon fanatic, though.

Slow Learner: Read three times
V.: Read once
The Crying of Lot 49: Read seven times (to be fair I teach it)
Gravity's Rainbow: Read three times
Vineland: Read twice
Mason & Dixon: Read once
Against the Day: Read once
Inherent Vice: Read three times
Bleeding Edge: Read once

What do you like besides Pynchon? I've been looking for something new for like a week and have nothing but duds to show for it. I know how unfair and vague that question sounds by the way, but circumstances are quickly growing dire here.

Probably nothing you haven't already heard of or looked into.

Neal Stephenson is good, though hit or miss. Cryptonomicon is excellent, however.
William Gibson
Don DeLillo
David Foster Wallace, though I think Infinite Jest is not as great as everyone else does. His short stories and non-fiction are where it's at. The Pale King, though, has moments of incredible insight.
Ruth Ozeki is interesting: My Year of Meats and A Tale for the Time Being
Danzy Senna's Caucasia
Rebecca Lee's Bobcat and Other Stories is the best short story collection I have read in years.

Nymerio

The first omnibus isn't even available on kindle (don't know about the rest), I had to buy the standalone version of Shards of Honor. I don't mind though, that way I can decide after the first book wether to pick up the rest. I'm only a couple of pages and I like it so far, we'll see how it goes.

I've read the first two Discworld books and thought "meh"

Should I just jump to Wyrd Sisters or check out Mort next?

Also, I'm over 900 pages into
Too Many
Words of Radiance and can sort of see a blurry light ahead of me. Hoping to have it done by Memorial Day.

Woorloog

Banned
Also, I'm over 900 pages into
Too Many
Words of Radiance and can sort of see a blurry light ahead of me. Hoping to have it done by Memorial Day.

The book's working title was "Book of Endless Pages". Sanderson decided not to use it as it was a tad ironic name. Also i think i recall something about bookstores not liking about that...

I finally had to give up on Ready Player One, I took a little break from it thinking I could come back and be past it, but the break made coming back to it even more frustratingly annoying.

5886881.jpg

I read Dark Places in about a day in a half while sitting around during a carpet install and thought it was just OK. I really never cared or was even interested in the characters so the only thing that kept me going was the mystery and it ended up being kind of anti-climactic.
The stuff with the mom and her decision in the end really never felt deserved. It really just seemed like she was giving up rather than making any kind of sacrifice. Just kind of lame.

Next up:

375802.jpg

Xenoboy

Hi, this is my first post in here.
I'm currently reading King Solomon's Mines, am almost halfway through.
I was really enjoying it until
the tribe found them and escorted them to their place
. We'll see how it plays out in the coming chapters.

Anyone here red Last Man by Mary Shelley? Any opinions on it, I might read it after Solomon.

Kinhow

Just finished reading the fourth book of the Boudica series, by Manda Scott.
Why?
Dunno why, was pretty boring. It feels like a fanfic, I dunno :(

Mumei

The first omnibus isn't even available on kindle (don't know about the rest), I had to buy the standalone version of Shards of Honor. I don't mind though, that way I can decide after the first book wether to pick up the rest. I'm only a couple of pages and I like it so far, we'll see how it goes.

I was looking at the Kindle editions, and they are surprisingly expensive. Much more expensive than the mass market paperback omnibus editions, anyway.

Necrovex

Another reading project I am undergoing is finally completing some of Naoki Urasawa's major works. I have been reading a lot of 20th Century Boys, and after the first few volumes, I am utter addicted to it. I just reach volume 12, and my former kindle for manga has been resparked.

Piecake

Awesome!! Great news.

Yea, City of Stairs was easily one of the best fantasy books that I've read in a long while. I am really glad that there will be more since the world, characters, and the type of storyline that the author created is just rather refreshing when compared to the vast majority of fantasy. I was wondering as well if there was going to be a sequel since it felt like it could have been a stand alone book, but that it could also been turned into a series.

Mumei

Another reading project I am undergoing is finally completing some of Naoki Urasawa's major works. I have been reading a lot of 20th Century Boys, and after the first few volumes, I am utter addicted to it. I just reach volume 12, and my former kindle for manga has been resparked.

I read fan scans years ago, and I've recently finished collecting the U.S. release ... but I've only read the first 10. I really should finish, because it's a lot better with the official translation.

VanWinkle

Yea, City of Stairs was easily one of the best fantasy books that I've read in a long while. I am really glad that there will be more since the world, characters, and the type of storyline that the author created is just rather refreshing when compared to the vast majority of fantasy. I was wondering as well if there was going to be a sequel since it felt like it could have been a stand alone book, but that it could also been turned into a series.

Hmm. Now I'm kind of interested. Wonder if I would like it.

mdubs

Banned

I've been working my way through his stuff as well, I've been reading Monster (up to vol 8 right now) and Master Keaton as they are being re-released. Any impressions on how Pluto is?

Mumei

I've been working my way through his stuff as well, I've been reading Monster (up to vol 8 right now) and Master Keaton as they are being re-released. Any impressions on how Pluto is?

Pluto is probably his tightest, most consistent work. You should definitely read it, especially if you already like his work.

Piecake

Hmm. Now I'm kind of interested. Wonder if I would like it.

I copied this from an older post of mine

The book is well-written, with interesting characters, and a compelling and unique world, but what made it really stand out for me is that it wasnt your typical save the world hero quest that we usually get with fantasy. It read more like a fantasy mystery/suspense novel where we learn more about the world, its history, and how the various societies relate to each other through that investigation. It is a page-tuner and the writer is clearly one smart dude as well.

Top Bottom