• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2015)

Mumei

I have to see what the fuss is all about. Been meaning to get to it for a long time now. Not sure why I havent yet.

The fuss? Vorkosigan Saga is an excellent character-driven science fiction where the science fiction informs the setting and elements of the plot but isn't foregrounded, with excellent characterization and long-form development of both minor and especially major characters, emotionally resonant themes, and feels*. That is the fuss!

It really makes you wonder what his marriage was like.

I know, right?

TTG

My favorites are Shards of Honor and Cetaganda, but they are consistently fun reads. I went through about 9 of them, so a big fan. Especially if you're reading something heavier, the Vorkosigan books make such a great companion to sort of decompress and enjoy.

VanWinkle

Just bought a hardcover copy of Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, desperately hoping that it will make me get out of this reading slump and get back to reading The Name of the Wind (Probably 100 or so pages in).

Also bought Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson, because, even though I hear it's not amazing, I want to have read it in time for the release of Shadows of Self in October.

Nasser

I just started reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Heard some good and bad stuff about it, but since I LOVED his earlier work Norwegian Woods I decided to go with this (haven't read anything else by him besides Norwegian Woods -- should I?)

1q84.jpg

Necrovex

I just started reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Heard some good and bad stuff about it, but since I LOVED his earlier work Norwegian Woods I decided to go with this (haven't read anything else by him besides Norwegian Woods -- should I?)

1q84.jpg

Murakami is a fantastic writer. I recommend tackling his other works. While I will complain about certain facets of his writing, which only presented itself in Wind-Up Bird, his positives outweigh his negatives.

Protome

Decided to take a stab at reading one of my favourite plays, King Lear by Shakespeare. (I recently saw the Simon Russell Beale/Sam Mendes performance of it and it was soooo goood.)
51o2HqRCFML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And I'm also going to finally start reading something which has been sitting in my reading pile for ages, All Quiet on The Western Front

Remarque-Western-Front.jpg

Bazza

140669.jpg

Finished this last night, the first half of the book I didn't think was that great then 2nd half really took off, I think this would have been my favorite of the Garret books if it wasn't for the slow 1st half.

7725717.jpg

10617.jpg

These two are next on my list while I wait for the next Garret book to be delivered, The Prophecy of kings trilogy has been OK so far. The Bachman books I first read when I was between 12 & 15 and the only one of the four stories I can really remember anything about is The Long Walk so it will be interesting to see what pops back into my head when reading them 15 (or so) years later.

Today Amazon Deal is The Last Wish, I think it's the first book in The Witcher Saga is $1.99 I don't know if it's any good but I'll buy it.

Click on the image for the amazon price

Protome

Today Amazon Deal is The Last Wish, I think it's the first book in The Witcher Saga is $1.99 I don't know if it's any good but I'll buy it.

The Last Wish is great, especially if you like the games.
Personally my favourite of the Witcher books too. But I'm a fan of short story collections in general.

Cade

This is why I came into the thread. Definitely picking this up, glad to see someone else keepin' people in the deals loop.

This is why I came into the thread. Definitely picking this up, glad to see someone else keepin' people in the deals loop.

I am subscribed to the Amazon Daily Deals but I usually find them super shitty, but sometimes there are some gems in there

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
conradjoetext96hdark12a.jpg

Heart of Darkness/Joseph Conrad

GOAT book. I love Conrad's writing, it's like a much richer version of Hemingway, which is pretty surprising considering Conrad was Polish, and didn't speak a word of English before the age of 20.

Just finished this:

Pretty fun book. Unknown island, explore island, find out things, dinosaurs, people die.

About to order the Mistborn trilogy. Can't wait to read those books, big fan of the Stormlight Archive. It'll take 3-5 days for them to arrive though. Think I'll read The Ocean at the End of the Lane from Neill Gaiman in the meantime.

Protome

I am subscribed to the Amazon Daily Deals but I usually find them super shitty, but sometimes there are some gems in there

I'm the same. The UK ones for today are kinda bad. A few weeks ago Garth Nix's Abhorsen series was on sale except for the first book. That was a great deal but really weird.

Pau

I enjoyed Rebecca more than I expected to, but the second Mrs de Winter is the most frustrating protagonist ever.
If y'all can, go read Du Maurier's short story "The Birds". There's a reason why Alfred Hitchcock loved adapting her work.

justjohn

Just finished "The Black Count" by Tom Reiss? It's about the father of novelist Alexandre Dumas who was also called Alex Dumas and was a black general in Napoleon's army. It talks about how he took advantage of the French Revolution's abolition of racial segregation to rise up as a general in the French army and played a major part in some of its wonderful victories in Austria, Italy and Egypt before napoleons racist regime ended with him dying in poverty. reading this book you begin to realize how much the novelist Dumas based his classic ' the count of monte cristo' on his own father, hence the title of the book. there are a few similarities between Edmond Dantes and Alex Dumas. Really enjoyed it and this book has made me very interested in reading more about the French Revolution and in particular the terror, so my next book is about none other than the infamous Robespierre. Can't wait

On a different note, I saw this at the bookstore the other day, and it really seemed fascinating to me... has anyone read this? Thought I would point it out, seems like it could be a really fun read and an interesting take on a Western.

Nunslinger
23074894.jpg

I'm not sure what I'll read next. I recently saw that Ivan Doig passed away, and I've got a couple of his books on my to-read list, so maybe it's time I look into one of those.. RIP Ivan Doig

That looks like the kind of thing I'd pick up if I saw it, thanks for pointing it out.

I started the Johannes Cabal series but then my wife started reading them and I haven't been able to get it back. So, I'm halfway through this one while I wait:
250986.jpg
10617.jpg

These two are next on my list while I wait for the next Garret book to be delivered, The Prophecy of kings trilogy has been OK so far. The Bachman books I first read when I was between 12 & 15 and the only one of the four stories I can really remember anything about is The Long Walk so it will be interesting to see what pops back into my head when reading them 15 (or so) years later.

Is it really the version with four stories, or is it the one where SK pussed out and removed "Rage"?
PS - my goodreads profile , someone friend me if you can!
done.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
On a different note, I saw this at the bookstore the other day, and it really seemed fascinating to me... has anyone read this? Thought I would point it out, seems like it could be a really fun read and an interesting take on a Western.

Nunslinger
23074894.jpg

I haven't read The Nunslinger, but there was a lot of positive buzz for it around LonCon 3 last year, with a lot of people I trust giving the book their endorsement. Also, I met Holborn, a diminutive, soft-spoken british woman, and she's just about the opposite of who you'd expect to write a gun-fueled western fantasy. She was very sharp and interesting to talk to, which also piqued my interested in the book. I'm curious to see what you think.

I've never read Holt nor Parker so this announcement is kind of meh to me. Is it particularly mind-blowing to anyone?

Not really. Holt's been prime suspect #1 for a few years now. For giggles, here's Holt interviewing Parker a few years ago.

Trey

x-post

cosby.jpg

I finished this up last night, mostly just to get it out of the way. It wasn't an impressive read, or and important read, but at least I can say it gave some background information on why certain black personalities were less than charmed with Cosby - even before his salacious history came to fore.

Michael Eric Dyson spends most of his criticism on Cosby himself rather than the particular messages the man would argue. Which is not unexpected, though I wish more substantial arguments were offered to refute some of Cosby's worldviews. A lot of the time, Dyson would fall back on a sort of conciliatory stock argument that admits there is some truth to Cosby's arguments, but it probably would be better if Cosby wasn't a dick about it. And, true enough, not being a dick is better than the alternative, but it doesn't make for an effective rebuttal when many of your points can be boiled down thus.

The most memorable chapter is the final one, where Dyson examines the mentality of white people, and how Cosby's messages are designed to comfort them at the chagrin of the black community. There's some interesting theory there, perhaps enough to flesh out into a better book that's not overly concerned with finger wagging Cosby.

If you're looking for some perspective on Bill Cosby's career, I suppose the book has some of that, but it's not a balanced message and doesn't have much to say on the black community besides.

Nymerio

I enjoyed Rebecca more than I expected to, but the second Mrs de Winter is the most frustrating protagonist ever.

I've just about started the book, but so far I don't have the slightest idea about what is going on. I suppose it starts at the present and then retells what happened?

KidDork

They're deranged because he writes them that way intentionally!

Wow. It's not every day your suspicions about a writer are so solidly, so damningly confirmed. Thanks, Mumei. I'm just imagining Jordan stretching back in some cliched tavern, telling the boys about them there wimmen, emphasizing his points by nodding sagely and winking while his rapt audience stares transfixed.

To add to the chorus: Yes. It is very good. It adds to the games if you haven't played them. The grit of Robert E. Howard with a cool magic system. And Geralt is a bad ass.

And that Nunslinger. It looks like something I need in my head.

I just recently finished reading a trilogy by Parker that was one of the coolest epic fantasies I've ever read, so now I guess I have to check out this Tom Holt guy.

Holt has a big back catalog. He started out slapstick and then got more genre-oriented. Think Monty Python meets very light sci-fi.

mu cephei

I read a book by Tom Holt, a long time ago. The Walled Orchard. I remember very little about it, other than it didn't incline me to read more of his stuff. So learning he's K. J. Parker, who I really like, is slightly weird.

Anyway. I finished The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer, which was very good. He does take very seriously the notion that different nationalities have different character types, and how this influences their climbing. I'll be interested to read some other books on climbing/ mountaineering, and see if and how ideas differ about what it takes to be great in the discipline.

I've just started Chavs by Owen Jones.
13046514.jpg

Necrovex

Finished Wind Up Bird Chroncles. While there were a few moments of genius, I felt severely distached from this novel. An overall 3/5. Least favorite Murakami novel thus far!

I might read some nonfiction next before going back to my fiction reading life. I am looking at 'Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq' by Thomas Ricks for my next book adventure.

Necrovex

Decided against Fiasco due to the price on Amazon being too high and Overdrive not having it on their e-book collection.
If anyone knows of another digital library catalog that I can rent this, I would love you.

I decided to read, what I hear is the most depressing fiction ever made, A Little Life. Since it's a long ass novel, I am inserting some non-fiction to it, Going Clear. Let's see how this all turns out!

I finished The Well of Ascension and I liked it a lot too, maybe not as much as Mistborn, but it was still great. Sanderson seems good at throwing twists at you that don't feel forced and are very well set up. Going to start the Hero of Ages tonight. Might do the other Mistborn novels after that, but don't want to feel burnt out.

Woorloog

Banned
I finished The Well of Ascension and I liked it a lot too, maybe not as much as Mistborn, but it was still great. Sanderson seems good at throwing twists at you that don't feel forced and are very well set up. Going to start the Hero of Ages tonight. Might do the other Mistborn novels after that, but don't want to feel burnt out.

There is but one other Mistborn book at the moment, The Allow of Law, and it is pretty short.
Two more are coming "soon", one this year, another early next year.

Is Alloy of Law as good as the original books?

No. It's worth a read, sure, but the characters are much worse. They hardly have any distinct personalities and it's a downgrade in almost every possible way.

It's steampunk rather than the medieval-esque fantasy the original trilogy is. I've never been a fan of steampunk so maybe that's why I didn't really like it.

bengraven

Just finished this:

Pretty fun book. Unknown island, explore island, find out things, dinosaurs, people die.

Looks like the new dino from Jurassic World on the cover.

140669.jpg

Finished this last night, the first half of the book I didn't think was that great then 2nd half really took off, I think this would have been my favorite of the Garret books if it wasn't for the slow 1st half.

Man, I have three or four of these that I got from a thrift store one day simply because Glen Cook's name was on them. I think I might need to bite into them eventually.

Nymerio

Is Alloy of Law as good as the original books?
I liked it a lot, fwiw. It has some amazing action sequences and the updated magic system is interesting.
Looks like the new dino from Jurassic World on the cover.

Man, I have three or four of these that I got from a thrift store one day simply because Glen Cook's name was on them. I think I might need to bite into them eventually.

Do it. They're amazingly funny and some of my favourite books.

No. It's worth a read, sure, but the characters are much worse. They hardly have any distinct personalities and it's a downgrade in almost every possible way.

It's steampunk rather than the medieval-esque fantasy the original trilogy is. I've never been a fan of steampunk so maybe that's why I didn't really like it.

I liked it a lot, fwiw. It has some amazing action sequences and the updated magic system is interesting.

I'm definitely going to read it, but now I think I won't read it immediately, so that I'm not constantly comparing it to its predecessors that I just read.

VanWinkle

I'm definitely going to read it, but now I think I won't read it immediately, so that I'm not constantly comparing it to its predecessors that I just read.

Yeah I finished the trilogy a couple months ago, and I will probably read Alloy of Law in a couple of months after The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear (both from Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chonicles). I'd like it to be closer to the release of the sequel to Alloy of Law in October, anyway.

Not even close. It's down there with Elantris as Brandon's weakest work.

An Elantris comparison is completely disheartening to see. I didn't enjoy reading that book very much. Heard so much good about it, but it felt like a complete slog to get through.

Woorloog

Banned
Me I almost like The Alloy of Law more than the original Mistborn trilogy. It has its flaws but setting is damn great. And no, it is not steampunk, it is more like a western.

Jarlaxle

Finished this last night:

2890090.jpg

After the disappointment I'd heard about it I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it much more than I did the previous one. I laughed a bunch of times during certain parts and it felt like a much more light hearted adventure aside from some aspects near the end. I'm going to have to read up on why most people didn't care for it.

Now, I think it's finally time to embark on the Wheel of Time. This along with Malazan are two of my biggest gaping holes in my fantasy reading checklist. The total page count for the series is kind of daunting though. Hopefully it keeps my interest.

228665.jpg

Top Bottom