• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

survivor

Banned
AShxRYr.jpg
ADSxJgi.jpg

Finished reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Enjoyed it a lot, creative use of weird magic and unknown worlds and mystery that didn't feel cheap. Plus framing the main conflict as a child against adults made it more interesting. Will need to read Gaiman's other novels eventually. I was't a big fan of Good Omens though not sure how much of that was on him or Pratchett.

I was also reading through Lawrence in Arabia, great book. Scott Anderson has a way of hyping up future events before switching up to a different POV. Sure I lost track of how many decisions have changed the shape of the middle east, but it makes it hard to stop reading it.

phaze

I can't really comment on maps. There has only been one so far.

I'm not the OP, but I have read the book and if I remember correctly, the maps are good. Gotta remember that the armies weren't nearly as mobile as they would be in WWII, etc. Plus, the book itself isn't considered a classic work of history for nothing; Tuchman is one of the greatest non-academic historians/writers ever, and that's not hyperbole. Plus, Guns of August in the book JFK pointed to as inspiring his restraint during the Cuban Missile Crisis, so it's got that going for it, too.

Alright, thanks for the answers ! And blimey didn't know the book was that old.

Rereading Catch-22 because I found a copy of Closing Time, the sequel, and I realized how much I've forgotten from the original so I'd simply have to do it again. Which means that Catch-22 will be the first book that I have ever read twice.

Althane

So, despite my previous post, I ended up getting put in a bad mood hte next day, so I went ahead and got Red Country. I'm in the approximate beginning of Part 2 (being that I'm listening to the audiobook, it is a little slow), and loving it so far. Doesn't really seem quite as dark as The Heroes or Best Served Cold. Yet.

I also started reading Freeze Kill, which I understand was written by someone who's a Gaffer? In which case, awesome writing. Loving the Killer sections, got a good amount of sociopathic murderer with god complex.

What else am I reading...

I've got Hosts (Repairman Jack novel) that I'm reading, slowly. Not catching me as fast as the other Repairman Jacks have so far. Premise is a little... funky. We'll see.

Shiv47

Reading The Heir Apparent, a bio of Edward VII of England, which has been quite interesting. Also started Augustus, the third and last novel by John Williams of Stoner fame; it's about the Roman emperor, told in epistolary format, more or less. That's been very good so far. Also picked up his first novel, Butcher's Crossing, and I'm trying to finish The Golem and the Jinni when not reading the other stuff. Have some Jack London waiting after all that among countless other titles on my pile.

besada

Banned
Just off the top of the head, you might like the following. Most write hard(ish) science fiction in the vein of the authors you listed:

Thank you. I already read Scalzi, Elizabeth Bear, and Rajaniemi, but I'll take a look at the rest. I picked up Leckie based on the Hugo, and I have the first Corey "Expanse" book, but I started it and wasn't brought into the story very rapidly, so maybe I'll take another run at it. I read a Hamilton book a long time ago and didn't think much of it, but can't remember why. I guess I'll give him another run, too.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Read the Maze Runner trilogy because I make bad decisions.

It was... dubious. I'm not sure how he managed to stretch that story over three books and the only two female characters were essentially impossible to differentiate. (I thought there was going to be some kind of twist involving identities.)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Thank you. I already read Scalzi, Elizabeth Bear, and Rajaniemi, but I'll take a look at the rest. I picked up Leckie based on the Hugo, and I have the first Corey "Expanse" book, but I started it and wasn't brought into the story very rapidly, so maybe I'll take another run at it. I read a Hamilton book a long time ago and didn't think much of it, but can't remember why. I guess I'll give him another run, too.

Cool! Also give Peter Watts and Nancy Kress a shot.

kswiston

After over 1300 joyful and tedious pages, finally finished off War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy today. Some parts are amazing, some downright boring, the ending was not what I was expecting for such a long book. It felt like it just petered out. Oh well, it is still an amazing achievement in writing and I'm proud to have finished it off, this being my 2nd time at it.

War and Peace doesn't really have a typical novel structure with a climax and such. It also doesn't help that the second epilogue is an essay on historical writing rather than anything related to the novel's characters I guess.

besada

Banned
Cool! Also give Peter Watts and Nancy Kress a shot.

Oh my god, I love you. I read a book by Nancy Kress three years ago, loved it, and promptly forgot her name. It's been driving me crazy every since. You are the best. No wonder they gave you a Hugo.

Voror

Reading the first book in a series called The Sharing Knife. Liked the author's other series about the 5 gods who are actually active with the world so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's alright thus far.

If possible, can anyone give me an opinion on the following books? Trying to figure out where to go next:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Talion: Revenant by Martin Stackpole
Traveler's Gate Trilogy by Will Wright (First book is called House of Blades)

Reading the first book in a series called The Sharing Knife. Liked the author's other series about the 5 gods who are actually active with the world so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's alright thus far.

If possible, can anyone give me an opinion on the following books? Trying to figure out where to go next:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Talion: Revenant by Martin Stackpole
Traveler's Gate Trilogy by Will Wright (First book is called House of Blades)

The Bujold series? The Sharing Knife is honestly not my favorite from her. It's not bad, but it crosses very heavily over into Romance genre and some of the conventions there in have never really been my cup of tea. Plus there is a bit of a plot point early on that's a bit of a hard topic for me personally.

I've only read one of the three but Snow Crash is a great novel, so I'll go ahead and say to go there first. It's super easy (in a good way IMHO) compared to later Neal Stephenson books, doesn't go on so many long / crazy digressions. It's like a big weird splat of futurism, action, science, and neon right on the brain cells.

Have you read Ben Bova?

Voror

I didn't care much for Sharing Knife, but if you are at all into space opera (or at least tolerate it), then for the love of all that's holy go read her Vorkosigan series.

I'm not usually but I have been curious about that series for a while. I'm just a bit cautious given that it appears to still be going with no end in sight which can make me leery at times.

The Bujold series? The Sharing Knife is honestly not my favorite from her. It's not bad, but it crosses very heavily over into Romance genre and some of the conventions there in have never really been my cup of tea. Plus there is a bit of a plot point early on that's a bit of a hard topic for me personally.

I've only read one of the three but Snow Crash is a great novel, so I'll go ahead and say to go there first. It's super easy (in a good way IMHO) compared to later Neal Stephenson books, doesn't go on so many long / crazy digressions. It's like a big weird splat of futurism, action, science, and neon right on the brain cells.

Yeah, I quite liked the Curse of Chalion and the following books so thought I might give this a try. I am catching onto that now about a third of the way through and sort of wish they'd get on with it so we can move forward with the plot and mythology.

Thank you, I'll look into that one next then. I heard it mentioned in conjunction with Ready Player One as a superior take on the concept do became curious.

Voror

The books are all standalone. Most of them benefit from being read in order (some would be far less effective without having read the rest, most notably Memory), but you can get a complete and satisfying story just from reading one of them.

Also, while it's theoretically ongoing, my feeling is that we're not likely to get many (any?) more at this point. The characters are all in places where there isn't all that much to challenge them anymore, and while I don't think she's outright said so, the most recent book felt like a coda.

Oh, now that I didn't know. That's nice to hear though and alleviates my worries quite a bit.

Sort of feels like it'd be nice if this were the end then. It's always better to have a series end at a good point then keep going for the sake of it and get tired in the process.

Thank you for the information. I'll definitely add the first book at least to my immediate upcoming reads.

Rereading Catch-22 because I found a copy of Closing Time, the sequel, and I realized how much I've forgotten from the original so I'd simply have to do it again. Which means that Catch-22 will be the first book that I have ever read twice.

Having waited until waaaaay too long in my reading life to read Catch-22, you've made a good choice for your first re-read. I'm not far behind you. What an amazing experience. And WWII is THE most justified war, like, ever. Can you imagine if Heller went to Iraq???? OMG.

Jintor

The only problem the Wizards have is that they have to share the same world as Granny Weatherwax, Death, and Sam Vimes.

There's nothing wrong with Rincewind's misadventures per se, but when Pratchett is tackling politics, philosophy and sociology while simultaneously telling an entertaining story with memorable characters in the other "plotlines", the Wizards just seem juvenile.

I find ridcully and occasionally stibbons have the capacity to surprise. Ridvully works well with esme in lords and ladies after all

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone else mentioned that the Wizards work better as side characters in other stories, and they really do.

Cade

NOS4A2_cover.jpg
Just started this after finishing Drawn (which kind of ended the way I'd assumed it would and felt... too neat.). It's pretty good so far but I'm barely into it. I already liked Locke and Key a lot so I know I like Hill's writing.

Does anyone know of any good biographies of Charles Dickens? Drood has me fascinated with him as a person now.

Going through Bill Bryson's books. They're very comfy

Great way to put it. That's exactly how I felt when was listening to 1927. I could've gone on listening about the 20s from Bryson for the rest of my life. He should just go back to 1920 and do a book about each year. Haha

Read the Maze Runner trilogy because I make bad decisions.

It was... dubious. I'm not sure how he managed to stretch that story over three books and the only two female characters were essentially impossible to differentiate. (I thought there was going to be some kind of twist involving identities.)

Have you read Hunger Games? How does it compare to that? I'm slightly interested b/c of the Maze Runner movie trailer (I know, I know). I'm not above reading some guilty pleasure fluff, but wondering if I'll just be annoyed like you were.

Jhriad

I felt the same about the first expanse book but I'll suggest you keep going. It takes a long ass time to start really pulling the threads together but once it did I found it to be incredibly engaging.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Have you read Hunger Games? How does it compare to that? I'm slightly interested b/c of the Maze Runner movie trailer (I know, I know). I'm not above reading some guilty pleasure fluff, but wondering if I'll just be annoyed like you were.

I didn't have a terribly high opinion of Hunger Games, but I'd say it's head and shoulders above Maze Runner. MR seems to play fast and loose with just about everything. The world building is sloppy at best, which I wasn't really bothered by, and the characters, outside of a couple, are utterly forgettable. The biggest wtf was the two main female characters who were seemingly only there to hold the Main guy's hand. Literally. He was constantly fretting about wanting to hold hands with them.

(I read it because of the movie trailer, too.)

Mr.Swag

Banned
I'd say they're similar quality, but The Silkworm went a bit pulpy for my taste.
Nevermind, just checked it on amazon and its going for $15

Not how much I like to spend.

GAF! I realize I haven't read much books with female protagonists, what's the best yall have read?

Haly

Ancillary Justice
The Scar (China Mieville)
Story of Your Life
Tehanu
The Bird of the River

Nevermind, just checked it on amazon and its going for $15

Not how much I like to spend.

GAF! I realize I haven't read much books with female protagonists, what's the best yall have read?

I really liked Evie Wyld's All the Birds, Singing, but I don't know if it's in your price range yet.

Ancillary Justice
The Scar (China Mieville)
Story of Your Life
Tehanu
The Bird of the River

I adore The Bird of the River (along w/ Anvil of the World and The House of the Stag). I received them as birthday gifts one year out of the blue and they ended up being some of my all time favorites.

Haly

It's rare that I find someone else on here who's read Kage Baker!

It's such a shame she passed away before she could write more books set in that world. She never even had the time to give it a proper name.

It's rare that I find someone else on here who's read Kage Baker!

It's such a shame she passed away before she could write more books set in that world. She never even had the time to give it a proper name.

Seriously, that broke my heart. Such an inventive world and a proper amazing non-standard fantasy. It feels like YA but I've never heard anyone categorize it like that.

Haly

I only consider Bird of the River YA, because of the age of the characters and the themes involved. To me, House of the Stag satirizes the typical High Fantasy Hero's Journey, while Anvil of the World is Fantasy Slice of Life.

Angst

Started reading The Blade Itself four-five years ago and ended up quitting at the 30 % mark. For some reason I didn't enjoy it at all, I think I was expecting something else having just finished ASOIF.

GAF kept reminding me about the book and how good it is so I decided to give it a second try. What was wrong with me before?? This book is awesome!

uk-orig-the-blade-itself.jpg

Reading on my Kindle, with Whispersync for voice so I can listen to the excellent Steven Pacey when I'm out walking etc. One of the best audiobooks I've listened to, he makes the book even more enjoyable.

Slayerx

Finishing off A Memory of Light today and going to start The Broken Eye tomorrow.

I can't believe I went through 14 books in about 3 months, still not sure if it was completely worth it. I genuinely disliked at least 5 books and the portrayal of females was not ideal. The whole Trakand family was unbearable throughout :/

There are many good things as well obviously. The world is rich and detailed and the last book is truly epic. The last three books in general were good and helped me get over the trauma of reading the previous 5 or 6, I don't even remember at this point.

I need to lay off the massive fantasy series for a while I think.

NOS4A2_cover.jpg
Just started this after finishing Drawn (which kind of ended the way I'd assumed it would and felt... too neat.). It's pretty good so far but I'm barely into it. I already liked Locke and Key a lot so I know I like Hill's writing.

The name sounded familiar so I went to Wikipedia and confirmed that yes, he is Stephen King's son. Then I read this:
Hill chose to use an abbreviated form of his given name (a reference to executed labor leader Joe Hill, for whom he was named) in 1997, out of a desire to succeed based solely on his own merits rather than as the son of Stephen King. After achieving a degree of independent success, Hill publicly confirmed his identity in 2007 after an article the previous year in Variety broke his cover (although online speculation about Hill's family background had been appearing since 2005).[2]
and wondered what "speculation" there could have been after seeing his picture.

That's, like, mini-me Stephen King.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Authority by Jeff VanderMeer

Wouldn't rate it as highly as Annihilation, as it was a bit of a slog at times, but still a good sequel.

kswiston

Finished 2001: A Space Odyssey. I somehow never got around to watching the movie, so I was in the dark on most of the stuff in this book save a few iconic shots and the Hal 9000 plot. I was actually surprised that Hal and Dave didn't even show up until halfway through the book. I have to imagine that the Ape man stuff was shorter in the film version.

Anyhow, it was a good book, and it still holds up remarkably well, even if Clarke vastly underestimated stuff like wage inflation (sort of chuckled when he threw out $50k a year in 2001 as an impressive sum for a high ranking person).

Cade

The name sounded familiar so I went to Wikipedia and confirmed that yes, he is Stephen King's son. Then I read this: and wondered what "speculation" there could have been after seeing his picture.

That's, like, mini-me Stephen King.

Haha, yeah. I'd wondered if he'd changed it just so he wouldn't be named "joking". That makes sense, though.

Book is pretty good so far. Very weird. I like the writing.

NOS4A2_cover.jpg

Really loved this book. Not nearly as spoooky as i expected, but a real page turner.
I wonder if the comic book spin off (The Wraith) is any good.

Just finished
kafka_on_the_shore.jpg

next up
the_windup_bird_chronicle.jpg

Top Bottom