• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

Cade

Thanks, all! I'm still sort of reeling from the weekend. Here's a picture of the trophy (and an empty cup)!

oReY65q.jpg

Damn, congrats. That's shiny.

Glad you enjoyed it. True story: I first came to Guards! Guards! in hospital after abdominal surgery. My wife sat beside the bed and read it to me. A terrible mistake. We were both in tears laughing, then I'd have to lean over to hold my stitches because I felt sure I'd popped them. This went on for a week. Laughter mixed with OW OW okay just one more page.

Wonderful book.

Haha, what an awesome story and memory. I really did laugh multiple times reading this dang book, and I never do that.

Ceebs

Got a little way into Pratchett's Dodger and it just didn't grab me at all. Worth pushing on?

I enjoyed Dodger myself. It was not on the same level as the Tiffany Aching books or anywhere near Nation but it was enjoyable enough.

Anyone who has not read Nation, read Nation. The absolute best thing Pratchett has ever written IMO.

Does anyone else ever do the thing where you see something 100 times and only on the 101st do you actually realize what you're seeing? I had no idea these were houses on their side. Which of course raises the question of just what the hell I thought I was looking at the first 100...

Honestly unil you pointed it out I thought it was ship's rigging.

Does anyone else ever do the thing where you see something 100 times and only on the 101st do you actually realize what you're seeing? I had no idea these were houses on their side. Which of course raises the question of just what the hell I thought I was looking at the first 100...

I didn't realize they were houses till after multiple viewings too. I love book covers like that and ones where you notice new, spoilerish things after reading the book.

Jag

Steles of the Sky, by Elizabeth Bear
Prince of Fools, by Mark Lawrence
The Widow's House, by Daniel Abraham

I just finished Range of Ghosts and wasn't a huge fan of it. I wasn't going to continue the series, but maybe I will if it gets better.

How was Prince of Fools?

Cade

Alright, I finished The Sisters Brothers. What a quaint novel. I really liked reading it, but I don't know if I ever will again. It felt like there was ~70% journey, 10% destination, 20% ending stuffed into a tiny amount of space. I definitely liked that the journey lasted so long, but the wrap-up stage fell a little flat.

Great stuff though and definitely unlike anything I'd ever read before.

Now I'm reading
16247825.jpg
just because it looked neat and was cheap. Kindle books are murdering my wallet..

obin_gam

Done A Thousand Sons now. And I just started with its sister book "Prospero Burns".
A10KS was very confusing I have to say, there were parts of it I liked, the council of Nikea for example, but for tha majority of the book I just felt lost. Prospero Burns though started really good (always fun to explore Terra itself in the W40K universe!) and it feels like this will show the events of when the 10KS and Space Wolves fought it out in a way where I actually understand what is happening hehe.

Started Drood. Only 10% in so far and really enjoying it. Also, I appreciated the call out to
The Terror

Drood by Dan Simmons

It's very cozy and fits really well with the coming autumn! Enjoy :)

suzu

I just finished Range of Ghosts and wasn't a huge fan of it. I wasn't going to continue the series, but maybe I will if it gets better.

How was Prince of Fools?

If you didn't like the first book, you'll probably not care for the latter ones. To be honest the ending is a bit underwhelming, but I enjoyed the overall series.

Have you read Prince of Thorns? If you liked that, then you should check out Prince of Fools. It's set in the same world/time. I think the protagonist is pretty likable (in comparison to the previous trilogy). He's way more self-deprecating and uh, bumbling. haha

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
If you didn't like the first book, you'll probably not care for the latter ones. To be honest the ending is a bit underwhelming, but I enjoyed the overall series.

I agree. As much as I love the trilogy, if you didn't like the first book, the next two probably won't change your mind.

Though, Suzu is wrong about the ending! ;)

Jag

I agree. As much as I love the trilogy, if you didn't like the first book, the next two probably won't change your mind.

Though, Suzu is wrong about the ending! ;)

I wanted to like it but it was hard to overlook her blatant use of the post Genghis Khan world. It was almost like historical fiction (which I love), but the names and places were changed. I took it as a lazy way around actual worldbuilding. Maybe i've been reading too much Sanderson lately.

Although you are a Hugo Award winning reviewer now, so if you like, it must be good!

Have you read Prince of Thorns? If you liked that, then you should check out Prince of Fools. It's set in the same world/time. I think the protagonist is pretty likable (in comparison to the previous trilogy). He's way more self-deprecating and uh, bumbling. haha

I'll take a look at Prince of Fools. Thanks.

aidan

Although you are a Hugo Award winning reviewer now, so if you like, it must be good!

Opinions are highly subjective, no matter how many awards the reviewer has.

Have you read much Guy Gavriel Kay? He uses a similar approach to worldbuilding, and I consider him a modern master of genre writing.

My apologies for all the positivity and superlatives lately when it comes to books. I don't want it to seem like I'm easy to please, but man I've just been enjoying a string of great books. Having said that, Drood is just fantastic. I'm 20% in now and its one of those books you literally do not want to put down. I really hope the rest of the book keeps up at the current pace. The characters, the setting, the creepy vibes, all great.

I just got through the part where
Dickens and Wilkie
explore
the catacombs and Undertown
and it was great. I could've kept reading that for the rest of the book and been happy. :b

What'd you think of the ending? I thought it was quite fitting.

Are you referencing
the girl tracking him down or him waiting for the storm to kill him? Either way I loved it. The storm, even though wasn't part of a story certain helped the feeling of things building to a crescendo. It felt like intensity and pressure was gathering until he finally told the whole sordid truth to Tiffany and then it was a release.

Also, I enjoyed Roy and Rocky as character's go its a shame to not have them again but it was also very refreshing to just have a story that starts and ends and there's no 'to be continued', if you know what I mean.

aidan

My apologies for all the positivity and superlatives lately when it comes to books. I don't want it to seem like I'm easy to please, but man I've just been enjoying a string of great books. Having said that, Drood is just fantastic. I'm 20% in now and its one of those books you literally do not want to put down. I really hope the rest of the book keeps up at the current pace. The characters, the setting, the creepy vibes, all great.

Don't you just love it when this happens?

Ugh stop liking books Makler.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

Don't you just love it when this happens?
It is absolutely the best. Finding great shows where you dont want to stop watching is always fun (Boardwalk Empire, Fargo, Deadwood, etc) but to me there's just something really special about finding that feeling with a book. Its just so incredibly immersive.

EDIT: Is immersive the proper word? For one thing, spell check is telling me its not real. Hmm

RangerX

Banned
I'm currently reading Hobbes Leviathan. I've always been fascinated by social contract theory and its origins. Its a tough read though, primarily because of the sentence structure of old english.

15818357.jpg

Only about six chapters in so far, but I really like the way the chapters have gone back and forth between telling the actual story and then giving backstory to what's being referenced through fictional reports. I'm really interested in where it goes.

Opinions are highly subjective, no matter how many awards the reviewer has.

Have you read much Guy Gavriel Kay? He uses a similar approach to worldbuilding, and I consider him a modern master of genre writing.
Kay is amazing. I grab his books as soon as they come out and then try to read them slowly so they last.

Which reminds me, I need to re-read A Song for Arbonne and Tigana again soon. Definitely favorites.

According to his tweets, both of these are coming to Kindle at some point (hopefully soon).

He's such a huge inspiration and influence on my own writing.

TTG

It is absolutely the best. Finding great shows where you dont want to stop watching is always fun (Boardwalk Empire, Fargo, Deadwood, etc) but to me there's just something really special about finding that feeling with a book. Its just so incredibly immersive.

EDIT: Is immersive the proper word? For one thing, spell check is telling me its not real. Hmm

How about engrossing, does that work?

Anyway, I'm reading Darkness at Noon and while I'm only 30% in, it's already great. Does it count as historical fiction if the names are omitted/changed and the protagonist is a fictional character? I'll try to post some substantial impressions when I finish, but if this unfolds with the same force as the start and you do want to put it in the historical fiction category... watch out Wolf Hall.

TTG

I'm currently reading Hobbes Leviathan. I've always been fascinated by social contract theory and its origins. Its a tough read though, primarily because of the sentence structure of old english.

Another philosophy mention, these are becoming more common here. Can someone who has explored the subject put a list together of the more readable/approachable works? I'm thinking of the difference between say The Republic and A Treatise of Human Nature. Worked through the former just fine, but never got past the first five pages or so of the latter(though my frame of mind may have been the culprit at the time).

Jintor

A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present by Howard Zinn

Zinn lays out his biases straight up at the beginning; he is interested primarily in American history through the viewpoint of minorities, of the oppressed, of labor and the poor and working-class, noting - correctly - that in any instance where information is selectively presented or omitted, there can be no such thing as an unbiased, objective presentation of history. In other words, he explicitly positions his history as a counter to the unthinkingly wealth- and power- aligned histories that largely unconsciously dominate the further discourse. Read through this lens, A People's History still manages to build a convincing and depressing picture of what, precisely, the self-proclaimed 'greatest nation on earth' has been built on - class warfare.

Though Zinn's evidence can occasionally resemble a simple list of incidents that reinforce whatever his argument is, overall it nonetheless builds a powerful thesis of American society and particularly the American Political System as a kind of trap, one that is controlled and enjoyed by a tiny minority, that distribute 'just enough' wealth and privileges to a larger majority, and whom essentially feed off a slightly smaller but still larger minority of poor and disadvantaged. It examines the history of events that has allowed this to occur, discerning a kind of 'boom and bust' cycle that requires external enemies or threats to reinvigorate the masses to distract them from the pressing and obvious inequalities that exist within American society.

Convincingly argued, strongly presented and oddly gripping, no doubt there are some valid criticisms to be levelled at this work; but as for me, I feel as though I have begun to understand certain ideas more solidly than before.

Jintor

Just finished this :

the-straight-razor-cure-daniel-polansky.jpg

I think it's called "Low Town" in the US.

Not a masterpiece, but definitely entertaining. Main fault is that you can see the twist coming miles ahead if you have an eye for those things.

Interested in other gaffer opinions on this one (and book 2btw, without spoilers please)

Late on this, but this is one of the few books I completely abandoned. I simply couldn't take it after the first hundred pages or so.

A People's History of the United States: 1942 to Present by Howard Zinn

Zinn lays out his biases straight up at the beginning; he is interested primarily in American history through the viewpoint of minorities, of the oppressed, of labor and the poor and working-class, noting - correctly - that in any instance where information is selectively presented or omitted, there can be no such thing as an unbiased, objective presentation of history. In other words, he explicitly positions his history as a counter to the unthinkingly wealth- and power- aligned histories that largely unconsciously dominate the further discourse. Read through this lens, A People's History still manages to build a convincing and depressing picture of what, precisely, the self-proclaimed 'greatest nation on earth' has been built on - class warfare.

Though Zinn's evidence can occasionally resemble a simple list of incidents that reinforce whatever his argument is, overall it nonetheless builds a powerful thesis of American society and particularly the American Political System as a kind of trap, one that is controlled and enjoyed by a tiny minority, that distribute 'just enough' wealth and privileges to a larger majority, and whom essentially feed off a slightly smaller but still larger minority of poor and disadvantaged. It examines the history of events that has allowed this to occur, discerning a kind of 'boom and bust' cycle that requires external enemies or threats to reinvigorate the masses to distract them from the pressing and obvious inequalities that exist within American society.

Convincingly argued, strongly presented and oddly gripping, no doubt there are some valid criticisms to be levelled at this work; but as for me, I feel as though I have begun to understand certain ideas more solidly than before.

I need to read this one day. Kind of reminds me of what Churchill once said, to which I'll paraphrase terribly: Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Jintor

One thing I thought particularly interesting about Zinn's thesis was that under this reading voting and ballot boxes essentially become kind of a channel for passion, rage and other political energies to be harmlessly directed into a process that promises change but in some ways is actually less effectual than straight-up other political actions, like sit-downs, general strikes, or other system-external and otherwise disapproved acts (up to and including violence, rioting etc). In other words, groups are told to work within the system to foster change when it is the system itself that is holding them down.

I've always had a kind of foggy idea about this kind of thing but it's a different matter to have it spelled out for you and evidence produced, y'know?

Woah, really? I heard someone compare it to DFW in tone and sentiment... I might check it out to see if that comparison is accurate.

Yeah, she was very much mentioned in the tone of 'wow, so young, and she seems poised to be one of the bright lights of her generation...'. So her death is especially tragic in that light.

Late on this, but this is one of the few books I completely abandoned. I simply couldn't take it after the first hundred pages or so.

It's very strange how extreme the opinions on this one are (See: Goodreads).

Mark Lawrence rated the book 5 stars for example. I found out that the plot was very predictable, but I'm a sucker for small, city-like settings. I'm curious, can you tell me why you quit the book ? Predictable plot? Or you didn't like the characters ?

Jintor

I think I just didn't like anything about the book. Nothing was outright offensive or terrible but none of it could hold my attention. The protagonist was an asshole, but more to the point, he wasn't an interesting asshole; he was just a jackass and I didn't feel especially compelled to read more about him. The same for the city, the setting, etc.

After about a hundred pages I felt the fatigue I feel if I'm just not into something, figured it was a waste of my time to delve in further, and abandoned the book.

I think I just didn't like anything about the book. Nothing was outright offensive or terrible but none of it could hold my attention. The protagonist was an asshole, but more to the point, he wasn't an interesting asshole; he was just a jackass and I didn't feel especially compelled to read more about him. The same for the city, the setting, etc.

After about a hundred pages I felt the fatigue I feel if I'm just not into something, figured it was a waste of my time to delve in further, and abandoned the book.

I alway like hearing of different opinions on books I read. Thanks man.

KidDork

Finished Available Dark by Elizabeth Hand. It's a great story about an alcoholic, aging photographer who takes a gig evaluating some photos for a collector. Things do not go well. Highly recommended if you enjoy darker crime stories. Hand is a wonderful writer, reminding me stylistically of William Gibson.

Now I'm reading this monster:

I've never read the Repairman Jack series, so best I get on that. If you're looking for a prime example of a classic Eighties potboiler, look no further!

Has anyone read the following book? If so, how is it?

TheOppositeofLonelinessbyMarinaKeegan.jpg

I bought this book today, after seeing your post, because it looked interesting when reading the summaries and reviews.

I'm not done with it yet, but it's a solid collection of stories from the mind and experience of a 21 year old girl. She writes well, and she manages to make her stories engrossing and relatable, with a lot of both spoken and unspoken emotion. Though if you don't find the mind of a 21 year old girl interesting, it's probably not the collection for you.

EDIT: Further reading notes. The book diversifies as it goes on, and it's good when it does so. But generally you'll find the perspective of a college senior, extrapolating her worries and ideas into potential futures and older characters. She does it well.

I read The Last Policeman on a plane and really enjoyed it. I love that the book stayed true to its "whodunit" plot and explored the personal implications of its premise while still managing to build an intriguing world.

Next:

I bought this book today, after seeing your post, because it looked interesting when reading the summaries and reviews.

I'm not done with it yet, but it's a solid collection of stories from the mind and experience of a 21 year old girl. She writes well, and she manages to make her stories engrossing and relatable, with a lot of both spoken and unspoken emotion. Though if you don't find the mind of a 21 year old girl interesting, it's probably not the collection for you.

EDIT: Further reading notes. The book diversifies as it goes on, and it's good when it does so. But generally you'll find the perspective of a college senior, extrapolating her worries and ideas into potential futures and older characters. She does it well.

What sorcery is this? I recommended a book I hadn't read yet-- that's a first! ;) Anyway, thanks for the review; running out to buy it today.

The_Last_Policeman_book_cover.jpg

Finished this yesterday. I've seen some mixed reviews on here but I quite liked it. The pre-apocalyptic setting is fascinating and Henry Palace is a great character. I'm really looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy.

Are you referencing
the girl tracking him down or him waiting for the storm to kill him? Either way I loved it. The storm, even though wasn't part of a story certain helped the feeling of things building to a crescendo. It felt like intensity and pressure was gathering until he finally told the whole sordid truth to Tiffany and then it was a release.

Also, I enjoyed Roy and Rocky as character's go its a shame to not have them again but it was also very refreshing to just have a story that starts and ends and there's no 'to be continued', if you know what I mean.

Yep, I was referencing
Roy waiting for the storm to kill him. I read Galveston like an episode into True Detective and I thought the show might end the same way, but obviously it didn't . I thought that it was a sad, but perfect, ending to Roy's story. And you're right, he's a great character. I think they're making a movie out of Galveston so at least we'll see him on the big screen!

I'm currently reading these:
17836259.jpg

And

16130607.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to get into more fantasy reading soon enough which is my favorite genre.

Top Bottom