• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2014)

SolKane

Still on a Steinbeck kick, currently reading this:

Steinbeck.DubiousBattle.1960.big.jpg

Kaname

Just finished reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and just bought a couple of other Murakami's works.

Finally finished up Needful Things. I seem to often lose interest in Stephen King books at around 85%. Still, this was a very enjoyable read.

Reading Richard Yates' The Easter Parade right now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Reading through both Labyrinths: Selected Stories by Jorge Borge Luis and Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War against Palestine by Noam Chomsky and Illan Pappe. Enjoying the hell out of both so far, some of the stories in Labyrinths are seriously trippy as fuck, love his style.

finished with A world without ice. I kinda forgot ice displaces water immediately, which is somewhat more worrying than just regular melting ice and rising sea levels.

moving on to.... mistakes were made, but not by me.
maybe. Maybe something else. Still need to finish with Card's view on writing and Story.

B.K.

51FgcC7xc8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I started The Guns of August a couple nights ago. I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I don't know if it's just Tuchman's style that's holding me back or if I'm just too stupid to read a book like this.

Now reading:

2013BPines.jpg

It's going to be a show on Fox this winter and the author was heavily influenced by Twin Peaks. It's decent so far. Some of the formatting is a bit questionable but the atmosphere is pretty on-point considering the author's influences. I can definitely see why they wanted to turn it into a TV show. Hopefully it'll be good, even though M. Night Shymalan is one of the showrunners.

Mr.Towel

I'm making my way through the newest Star Wars book, New Dawn, the first book in the new Disney Star Wars continuity. It's fun so far. The main characters are interesting, and the villain is fun in a cackling maniac sort of way. They're doing a better job of showing the transitional phase between the Republic and Empire than they've done before.

I really enjoyed the full Pines trilogy for what it is. Fun books.

I'm making my way through the newest Star Wars book, New Dawn, the first book in the new Disney Star Wars continuity. It's fun so far. The main characters are interesting, and the villain is fun in a cackling maniac sort of way. They're doing a better job of showing the transitional phase between the Republic and Empire than they've done before.

It's not supposed to release until 2 September. Are you from the future?

kswiston

I will be finishing up The Name of the Wind either tonight or tomorrow. This book took me longer than I expected due to a few reasons (including mild reading burnout after finishing both of the Stormlight Archive novels in about 2 week), but it was a well done book.

I think I will switch gears and read 2001 next. I am in the mood for something short and sci fi.

Finished up Marina Keegan's essay book. Pretty good. Nothing astonishing, but she's careful with her writing and wrings the most emotion out of every sentence.

Apparently she was a student of John Crowley, one of my favorite authors, which is why the book's mention in this thread triggered a reaction (subconscious recommendations!). I can see a big-picture mark of Crowley on her writing - some stories seem to exist underwater in a sea of feeling, like his do, but with more action and act-on-it passion.

I've returned to Dune, which is turning into my Sisyphean boulder of the summer. But I've been happy to report that the book has lowered my purchases of Ambien.

I finished Authority and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

I still think that Authority was original written as a first person narrative (or, at the very least, Vandermeer was going for a first person feeling, more so than subjective 3rd person even)--there are just a lot of quirks in the writing style that felt out of place in 3rd person. That said, I still really liked it, though the ending was a bit of a let down--I really wanted to know how Control was going to deal with everything falling apart and then . . .
he just leaves?

Ah well, I expect the next novel to be worth it. (I gave it 4 stars on good reads, though it's probably more a 3.5).

The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao had a few moments that were hard to get through, but god damn, does it end strong. Yunior continues to be a wonderful narrator and, even if the book has quite a bit of telling, it's some of the best damn telling I've ever read. The snippets of dialog and conversations are electric throughout, that's one thing Diaz is unequivocally a master of, imo.

ShaneB

Been in a terrible slump, no idea what I'm in the mood to read, and have been distracted by a bunch of other things. Hope to decide something on my lunch break today.

phaze

51FgcC7xc8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I started The Guns of August a couple nights ago. I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I don't know if it's just Tuchman's style that's holding me back or if I'm just too stupid to read a book like this.

This might sound like a weird question but how are the maps ? Like are they readable, how many are there, to which level do they show deployments ? (armies, corps, divisions) I've beenplanning to get something on the initial period of war but good maps are like 50 % of a good military history book to me.

This might sound like a weird question but how are the maps ? Like are they readable, how many are there, to which level do they show deployments ? (armies, corps, divisions) I've beenplanning to get something on the initial period of war but good maps are like 50 % of a good military history book to me.

I'm not the OP, but I have read the book and if I remember correctly, the maps are good. Gotta remember that the armies weren't nearly as mobile as they would be in WWII, etc. Plus, the book itself isn't considered a classic work of history for nothing; Tuchman is one of the greatest non-academic historians/writers ever, and that's not hyperbole. Plus, Guns of August in the book JFK pointed to as inspiring his restraint during the Cuban Missile Crisis, so it's got that going for it, too.

ultron87

I finished up Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds. Fairly enjoyable sci fi. I really liked the extended world building for the various factions in that universe. The Conjoiners were very interesting.

It was very clearly a middle chapter in a trilogy instead of a mostly complete story like the previous book, Revelation Space. That would've been fine, except for the fact that the 3rd book, Absolution Gap, is apparently garbage according to a glance at Amazon reviews. Boo. Oh well, might still read it. I've probably read worse books just to get closure. *sighs heavily in the direction of the last Dune books*

I finished Eric by Terry Pratchett last night. It was a letdown after reading Guards! Guards!, but anything was bound to be. Another Rincewind novel that fails to impress. He really is a weak link in Discworld...

ShaneB

That sounds like it could be a really fun romp Mack. Speaking of time travel, I've settled on my next read. Thought I wasn't in the mood for something science fiction, but I realize I am just more into science fiction that is smaller scale, and perhaps more grounded. Plus this is my first Stephen King read actually!

Now Reading..
11/22/63 by Stephen King
10644930.jpg

Still into part 1 now, and already feels like I will be hooked.

That sounds like it could be a really fun romp Mack. Speaking of time travel, I've settled on my next read. Thought I wasn't in the mood for something science fiction, but I realize I am just more into science fiction that is smaller scale, and perhaps more grounded. Plus this is my first Stephen King read actually!

Now Reading..
11/22/63 by Stephen King
10644930.jpg

Still into part 1 now, and already feels like I will be hooked.

Ah, good choice man. One of my all time favorites even though I just read it a month or two ago.

Hope you enjoy it.

B.K.

I can't really comment on maps. There has only been one so far.

We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas

Finished it finally. It was a really long book. I think because I was reading a galley, there were some parts that were not edited out yet. The ending could have been shorter. Because of that, 4/5 stars.

It's such a heartbreaking, poignant book that I wouldn't have started it if I had known what it was about, but now that I've read it, I'm glad that I did. I recommend it if you liked The Tender Bar, or any type of character-driven coming-of-age story.

Ceebs

I finished Eric by Terry Pratchett last night. It was a letdown after reading Guards! Guards!, but anything was bound to be. Another Rincewind novel that fails to impress. He really is a weak link in Discworld...

Totally agree. I honestly am not a huge fan of anything that features the wizards heavily. They just don't play for me for some reason.

Pau

Totally agree. I honestly am not a huge fan of anything that features the wizards heavily. They just don't play for me for some reason.
I think it's because none of them are really likable. Rincewind is inoffensive at best, but I never find myself rooting for the wizards when they're the main cast. They work best in small doses in someone else's book.

Necrovex

After I complete the second book of 1Q84, I'm going to read through Wizard's First Rule. God help me as I attempt to get through that piece of 'art.'

After I complete the second book of 1Q84, I'm going to read through Wizard's First Rule. God help me as I attempt to get through that piece of 'art.'

The first book isn't nearly bad as the later ones where he really ratchets up the Objectivism.

And reading up on John Galt I just realized that Daemon/Freedom(TM) are arguably the same story with Matthew Sobol being John Galt. Huh.

I actually like her fiction, quite a lot. Not so much her philosophy tho partly because she is just echoing much of what nietzsche said, and he said it better. I reread the fountainhead every couple years.

Ah, the "4th times the charm" thing made it sound like you were forcing yourself to like it. Carry on then :)

fakefaker

After over 1300 joyful and tedious pages, finally finished off War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy today. Some parts are amazing, some downright boring, the ending was not what I was expecting for such a long book. It felt like it just petered out. Oh well, it is still an amazing achievement in writing and I'm proud to have finished it off, this being my 2nd time at it.

Now from the old to something completely new; The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero.

18782854.jpg

Dresden

Finished Heroes Die, which was really quite good. Matthew Stover is a surprisingly sophisticated novelist and behind all the fucks and fucking and gore is a story that takes full advantage of the medium, the Novel's power to juggle and juxtapose consciousnesses. It's also really badass in a gleefully juvenile way with lots of neck breaking and throat slitting. Moving on to Blade of Tyshalle, looking forward to it!

Necrovex

The first book isn't nearly bad as the later ones where he really ratchets up the Objectivism.

And reading up on John Galt I just realized that Daemon/Freedom(TM) are arguably the same story with Matthew Sobol being John Galt. Huh.

Seeing how my philosophy is the polar opposite of Goodkind, I am interested in seeing how I react to his work. At least Orson Scott Card was able to contain his bigotry away from his earlier works!

Bazza

I have ready quite a few fantasy books this month, The Black Company books (Glen Cook), The 1st Law Trilogy and Half a King (Joe Abercrombie) as well as the Bridge by Banks and Good Omens somewhere in between those books.

The Black Company books have possibly become my favorite fantasy series I have read so far, I honest cant think of a part in the 10 books that I did not like, I was properly hooked from start to finish.

The 1st Law Trilogy was great
I liked The Bloody Nine in particular
, Half a King wasn't to bad but not on a level with the 1st 3 books. I hope down the line the various story lines from the different series converge into some kind of final trilogy.

Think I will read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie next, clearly I saw the book suggested somewhere and brought it on the Kindle but cant for the life of me remember where I saw it mentioned, but its the next book on my list after that I think I will start on the stand alone books set in the same world as The 1st Law and Shattered Sea books.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I have ready quite a few fantasy books this month, The Black Company books (Glen Cook), The 1st Law Trilogy and Half a King (Joe Abercrombie) as well as the Bridge by Banks and Good Omens somewhere in between those books.

The Black Company books have possibly become my favorite fantasy series I have read so far, I honest cant think of a part in the 10 books that I did not like, I was properly hooked from start to finish.

The 1st Law Trilogy was great
I liked The Bloody Nine in particular
, Half a King wasn't to bad but not on a level with the 1st 3 books. I hope down the line the various story lines from the different series converge into some kind of final trilogy.

Think I will read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie next, clearly I saw the book suggested somewhere and brought it on the Kindle but cant for the life of me remember where I saw it mentioned, but its the next book on my list after that I think I will start on the stand alone books set in the same world as The 1st Law and Shattered Sea books.

Well, Ancillary Justice won pretty much every SF award under the sun this year, and its a bit of a darling on these forums, so it's no surprise you bought it!

It's great. I've got the sequel, Ancillary Sword, sitting on my own Kindle just screaming at me to be read.

besada

Banned
Well, Ancillary Justice won pretty much every SF award under the sun this year, and its a bit of a darling on these forums, so it's no surprise you bought it!

It's great. I've got the sequel, Ancillary Sword, sitting on my own Kindle just screaming at me to be read.

Aidan, you may be able to help me. I'm pretty knowledgeable about science-fiction and authors up through the 90's, but haven't had the time to find the kinds of writers I like that are younger. And my guys are all getting up there in age, and slowing down.

So, if I like the following authors, who should I be reading?

Greg Bear
David Brin
Gregory Benford
Larry Niven
Stephen Baxter
Greg Egan

Assume I've read Reynolds, Banks, Bacigalupi, and Stross.

Any new or newish writers I should be looking into?

Zona

I think it's because none of them are really likable. Rincewind is inoffensive at best, but I never find myself rooting for the wizards when they're the main cast. They work best in small doses in someone else's book.

The Wizards might get better for you in later books once the cast settles down some. The Last Continent is one of my favorites personally.

How I wish I could be in your shoes reading them for the first time again. You're very close to Reaper Man, which is always in my top three.

I'm currently reading

No idea why it wasn't in the fantasy section.
Think of it as a Much better written Twilight.

Have you tried Hannu Rajaniemi?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only problem the Wizards have is that they have to share the same world as Granny Weatherwax, Death, and Sam Vimes.

There's nothing wrong with Rincewind's misadventures per se, but when Pratchett is tackling politics, philosophy and sociology while simultaneously telling an entertaining story with memorable characters in the other "plotlines", the Wizards just seem juvenile.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Aidan, you may be able to help me. I'm pretty knowledgeable about science-fiction and authors up through the 90's, but haven't had the time to find the kinds of writers I like that are younger. And my guys are all getting up there in age, and slowing down.

So, if I like the following authors, who should I be reading?

Greg Bear
David Brin
Gregory Benford
Larry Niven
Stephen Baxter
Greg Egan

Just off the top of the head, you might like the following. Most write hard(ish) science fiction in the vein of the authors you listed:

Top Bottom