• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DagsJT

Trying to get through my last 5-6 books for the 50-50 challenge, and finished The Martian a couple days ago. Enjoyable, and I imagine it will work pretty well as a film, as I found myself skimming the science-heavy explanation stuff as the book went on, because it meant little to me, and that stuff can be ignored onscreen.

I really switched off from the science aspect about halfway in. A good book with good humour, I think it'll be a pretty good movie.

But the over-reliance on science took it down to a 3/5 for me.

Now reading Annihilation. About 30% in and it's really interesting.

So, I went on an international trip. This being an international trip, and me being me, I got a lot of reading done.

So, here we go!

2. Shards of Honor (Vorkosigan Saga)

I admit, the pacing seemed a little odd sometimes, but I read this one more interrupted than The Martian (I've been working on it the past couple of weeks). Overall, a great book, some good thoughts coming through, and I liked the characters. 8/10, will continue reading.

3. The First Book of Swords

So, THIS is interesting. Not sure if I'm supposed to take it as YA or not, but holy moley it was cool. I really like the idea of the swords, and get the feeling that they're going to be more and more prominent. The God of Beasts was also pretty awesome, loving his character. Overall, some questions which hopefully will be answered over the course of the series, but will continue reading. 7/10

6. The Golem and the Jinni

Holy shit, I started this book and DEVOURED it. 10/10, no question. The characters are great, the dialog is smart, the overall book is intelligent and poses some good questions about nature and desire, how to treat others, and getting along despite differences. Plus, I think there was a romance in there, and I'm a sucker. Reminded me in a way of the Time Traveler's Wife, but not quite as out there (sort of).

[*]Freeze Kill (still working on it)

Re: Shards - it's a decent opening to the series, but definitely keep going. The ride gets better once Miles becomes the focus.

Re: Swords - cool... I have that series in ppb and haven't cracked it open. Haven't seen anyone else mention it here. Need to prioritize it in 2015 to clear more of the space from my shelves.

Re: Golem/Jinni - Yay! Another fan! This was my BOTY in 2014.

Re: Freeze Kill - awesome that you're reading a book by a GAFfer!

Jag

I think I'm going to break down and finally try Robbin Hobb. I've read almost everything else in "classic high fantasy" but this keeps coming up. I think I may have started it years ago, but I don't remember, so I'll go in fresh.

Goodreads has this as the order to read (Chronological). Can anyone confirm?

The Farseer Trilogy:
1) Assassin's Apprentice
2) Royal Assassin
3) Assassin's Quest

Followed by the Liveship Traders Trilogy
1) Ship of Magic
2) Mad Ship
3) Ship of Destiny

Followed by The Tawny Man Trilogy
1) Fool's Errand
2) Golden Fool
3) Fool's Fate

Followed by The Rain Wilds Chronicles
1) Dragon Keeper
2) Dragon Haven
3) City of Dragons
4) Blood of Dragons

And finally, The Fit and the Fool Trilogy

As promised, meant to getting around to those suggestions.

First off will be the Coalwood trilogy of books (Rocket Boys is a must read for sure, and I really enjoyed the second and third books, The Coalwood Way, and Sky of Stone). Rocket Boys is probably my favourite book I've read this year, so by extension that includes the other 2 as well, highly recommend. Great fun coming of age sort of stories in that time frame.

A Prayer for Owen Meany was another book I really loved.

Stephen King's 11/22/63 certainly fits that time frame as well, it's right in the title (And why I decided to read it), and I guess you could kinda include Revival as well.

Just looking through what I've read for a couple more..

The Temple of Gold by William Goldman was a wonderful read too, I have another novel of his queued up to read, Boys and Girls Together, which seems like it could be something great.

I've mentioned before how much I enjoy these sort of historical fiction pieces set in the 50s and 60s as well, just something about it draws me to that time period.

A few others that skew a little darker you might check out are things like City of Thieves (Which is actually really funny), The Child Thief, Red Winter, etc, set in the 40s around wartime.

Whoa, thanks for all of the great suggestions! I added them all to my wishlist on Amazon in the meantime as I finish up some other books, but I will definitely get around to reading them. I keep a private wish list on Amazon so I remember to read books, and so I can track the price of the Kindle version. I have read 11/22/63 and A Prayer for Owen Meany, and they were probably tied for my top 2 favorite books that I read in 2013. I don't know what it is about that era, but I just love it.

Out of curiosity, have you read any more books by William Kent Krueger?

thomaser

Got two books for Christmas: The Secret History and The Little Friend, both by Donna Tartt. Anyone here familiar with them? I haven't read anything by her, but I get the impression she is really good.

ShaneB

Whoa, thanks for all of the great suggestions! I added them all to my wishlist on Amazon in the meantime as I finish up some other books, but I will definitely get around to reading them. I keep a private wish list on Amazon so I remember to read books, and so I can track the price of the Kindle version. I have read 11/22/63 and A Prayer for Owen Meany, and they were probably tied for my top 2 favorite books that I read in 2013. I don't know what it is about that era, but I just love it.

Out of curiosity, have you read any more books by William Kent Krueger?

Meant to say I haven't read his other books. His Cork O'Conner series stuff could be interesting, or perhaps generic crime novel fare.

I was sure you had read a couple of those suggestions,but glad not most! I really love that time frame too, it's hard to explain as well.

Piecake

I am still reading Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, and it is quite good. I find it hard not to think about what if questions while reading it though. I mean, what if the government actually enacted a policy of confiscation and redistribution of plantation land to former slaves and poor southerners? Would that have even been possible? And if so, would Jim Crow have never been born/died?

It really strikes me as one of those pivotal moments that could have drastically changed history.

Shengar

Finally finished my reading challenge this year. I read 3 or 4 less book compared to last year which isn't a good thing >__>
I wonder if I should new year with JSMN reread or take brave steps upon Gormenghast trilogy.Mumei, I need your counsel.

survivor

Banned
vVd33N3.jpg

A while back I saw some posts about Jodorowsky's Dune and the documentary looked pretty interesting so unlike the director of the never made Dune movie, I decided to at least read the book.

Really enjoyed the world building and the mythology of the book. Surprised at how many of the terminologies of the Fremen culture I recognized. Made it more interesting to see which word made sense and which didn't. Oh also was a bit surprised to see how much sci-fi was actually in the story. I mean outside of basic stuff like shields and spaceships this really felt like a fantasy novel with heavy focus on the magic and mythology aspects which I did find more enjoyable this way. Cause to be honest any sort of future science written in the 60s would have been badly outdated by now.

Found it pretty hard to eventually keep caring about Paul especially the majority of the last third of the book. One problem I find with some of these stories where the main cast is ridiculously strong that I stop taking any action scenes seriously. Basically entire final confrontation felt dull to me and I was just waiting for the whole thing to conclude cause it lacked any tension to me. I am told that the second book does cover Paul's rise to power, but I probably won't find time to read it anytime soon.

Mumei

I am still reading Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, and it is quite good. I find it hard not to think about what if questions while reading it though. I mean, what if the government actually enacted a policy of confiscation and redistribution of plantation land to former slaves and poor southerners? Would that have even been possible? And if so, would Jim Crow have never been born/died?

It really strikes me as one of those pivotal moments that could have drastically changed history.

It's impossible not to. It feels so full of unfulfilled possibility. If nothing else, it really makes you wonder what could have happened had Lincoln lived.

Finally finished my reading challenge this year. I read 3 or 4 less book compared to last year which isn't a good thing >__>
I wonder if I should new year with JSMN reread or take brave steps upon Gormenghast trilogy.Mumei, I need your counsel.

Don't ask me; I haven't read either one!

besada

Banned
You haven't read JSMN (Jonathan Strange&Mr. Norrell)? D:
JSMN is the less nineteenth century book, if that matters to you. Gormenghast can require some patience for the pay off, whereas JSMN moves at a nice little pace. I enjoyed both, though.

Necrovex

Has anyone read Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination? I am a little curious on reading about Walt Disney. A man needs a break from reading African novels once in a while!

Finished Barrayar (Book 2 of Vorkosigan). I'm enjoying it. Consistently high quality space opera series are a big deal! Also read a few Objective C books.

I finally activated my Kindle Unlimited subscription and I'm currently eating 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's delicious. Yum yum.

Mumei

Finished Barrayar (Book 2 of Vorkosigan). I'm enjoying it. Consistently high quality space opera series are a big deal! Also read a few Objective C books.

I finally activated my Kindle Unlimited subscription and I'm currently eating 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's delicious. Yum yum.

Makes me happy to see new people reading Vorkosigan. <3

Finished the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy

Annihilation_by_jeff_vandermeer.jpg

Tense. Tense. So damn tense. Already on Authority now and I really enjoyed Annihilation. The set up of the atmosphere and surroundings was rightfully gripping. I'm very engaged to follow up from where it was concluded.

Finished the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy

Annihilation_by_jeff_vandermeer.jpg

Tense. Tense. So damn tense. Already on Authority now and I really enjoyed Annihilation. The set up of the atmosphere and surroundings was rightfully gripping. I'm very engaged to follow up from where it was concluded.

I'd temper your expectations somewhat..Authority is competant, but has a bit of filler...Acceptance fixes things..

If you live in the UK, Amazon have put my book THE EXPLORER into their Christmas sale thing for only 99p.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Explorer-James-Smythe-ebook/dp/B008EEZ6VC/ref=la_B004S9368M_1_1_bnp_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419529666&sr=1-1

Here's what some people said about it:

‘It's like an episode of Star Trek written by JM Coetzee’ Guardian

‘The Explorer has the dreamlike detachment of an Ishiguro novel…. reminiscent of a 1970s space movie, where the darkness of the void mirrors the darkness of the human soul’ Financial Times

‘Beautifully written, creepy as hell. The Explorer is as clever in its unravelling as it is breathlessly claustrophobic’ Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls

'One of the most gripping novels that I've read in 2012' Starburst

'The SF novel everyone should read' Foyles

---- PROMOTION ENDS ----

LProtag

I got a 25 dollar gift certificate to my favorite used book store. I'm going to raid the Easton Press/Folio Society section, as they have some for 6-15 dollars, which is a great deal for such nice books.

Currently on page 300 of

I found book 1 to be too much of a ripoff of LoTR and while book 2 was interesting, it did not capture me as this one did. Better written, I am enjoying how it feels like Harry Potter.

Reading Mcarthy's Child of God. His voice is slowly growing on me, but when every other chapter is an overt metaphor for his protagonist/protagonist's future, i feel like he doesn't trust me as a reader to pick up what he's putting on the page. It's a little dissappointing, but i guess this was one of his early works.

Finished
147964765.JPG

What a fun read. Dat space opera. I love the way Campbell structures this, with the returning hero and his ability to do things no one else can, and the science involved in time lag based on the sheer size of space. Very well done and I'll be adding more of the series to my queue over time. 5/5

Now moving on to
WordsOfRadiance_Cover-1.jpg

I'll have to read through the summary of the first book before I jump in, as it's been a while and I barely remember any of it.

Zona

Finished

This is the last Hamilton series, that's complete, that I've not yet read. I had started the first book a few years ago but put it down about a third of the way through or so. I was turned off by the whole
possession by the dead
thing. Finally picked it back up and finished it this year and found it wonderful. I regret not giving it more of a chance the first time. This one was ever better then the first seeming to carry on the Hamilton tradition of having the second book move at a much faster clip then the first. The three main plotlines come together for a beautiful cliffhanger right at the end and make me sad I'm probably going to have to wait a month or so before my library gets the last book shipped in.

I was also caught completely off guard by the appearance of
Al Capone

theapg

Finally finished The Martian. I really enjoyed it but wish
there was more after he got rescued
. I also think it'd be really cool if
there was a sequel about his life on Earth after the events of the Martian. No sci-fi, no action, just about his life as the Martian.

Necrovex

Reached the halfway point of one of my novels (going to be the first novel I complete in 2015 for the 50/50 challenge), so I am moving to another library book:

10046142.jpg

Supposed to be one of the best journalistic book involving the Congo.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Anyone here read The Painter by Peter Heller?
I'm almost done with it and I just cant help but think that under all the fucking fluff is a great novel. If only the man stopped describing all the 'juniper' trees and his dozen paintings.

Like, a film version of this book would be amazing, because you don't have to read two whole pages describing scenery.

After this I'm going to read The Wind up Bird Chronicle.

I'm three quarters through the second Last Policeman book and I'm beginning to feel like it has jumped the shark tonally with the introduction of
government conspiracies to murder immigrants and the deus ex machina helicopter rescue.

With that said, it's a pretty good read. The main character is still incredibly likable and the theme of trying to find identity and purpose in the face of impending death still resonates. I appreciate the author's desire to broaden the scope of the world, but I do feel that undercuts what made the first book work so well. (Not that a sequel necessarily has to imitate the first book, of course.)

I'm three quarters through the second Last Policeman book and I'm beginning to feel like it has jumped the shark tonally with the introduction of
government conspiracies to murder immigrants and the deus ex machina helicopter rescue.

With that said, it's a pretty good read. The main character is still incredibly likable and the theme of trying to find identity and purpose in the face of impending death still resonates. I appreciate the author's desire to broaden the scope of the world, but I do feel that undercuts what made the first book work so well. (Not that a sequel necessarily has to imitate the first book, of course.)

With regards to your spoiler, keep going. Nothing is what it seems. :)

Reading Mcarthy's Child of God. His voice is slowly growing on me, but when every other chapter is an overt metaphor for his protagonist/protagonist's future, i feel like he doesn't trust me as a reader to pick up what he's putting on the page. It's a little dissappointing, but i guess this was one of his early works.

So i finished it and . . . I feel a lot of nothing. I don't feel like I was particularly disturbed by ballard or was I sympathetic. I know part of the novel's theme was that lots of ppl are terrible people, but it also didn't seem like McCarthy had anything to say beyond that. I also had a hard time visualizing the novel. McCarthy's word choice was spot on amd grimy, but as far as actual descriptions go, i was left wanting.

It's interesting seeing the Franco adaptation being criticized for not having anything to say on the topic when that's exactly how i feel about the original. Oh well, the 38 pages I've read of Blood Meridian are already so much better that it's pretty clear this was more of a stop-gap for McCarthy.

Volotaire

Hi BookGAF. Off topic, but I was wondering what are the best children's books this year (looking for suitable for ages 10-13). One that I am eyeing up at the moment is The Witch's Boy.

Zona

Finished Pandora's Star. Thought it was excellent. Can't wait to read part two.

Second book is a roller-coaster ride from start to finish. He put almost all the set up in the first book and just had Judas Unchained be one moment of awesome after another.

eznark

Banned
Second book is a roller-coaster ride from start to finish. He put almost all the set up in the first book and just had Judas Unchained be one moment of awesome after another.

That's what I figured. I think it probably would have been a slog to read, but the narration on the audiobook was excellent which pulled me through. Can't wait to start Judas tomorrow.

Yeah, but the stuff with the guy (Ozzie?), the kid, and the 'dog' was insufferable.

Would Leviathan Wakes be a good intro into sci-fi books? I saw its only $2.99 on the Kindle store. I've always wanted to get into the genre, but always lose interest in the ones I've read. I've read four books of the Enders series, but that's about it. I've tried Dune and Hyperion, but couldn't get into them.

Ratrat

Would Leviathan Wakes be a good intro into sci-fi books? I saw its only $2.99 on the Kindle store. I've always wanted to get into the genre, but always lose interest in the ones I've read. I've read four books of the Enders series, but that's about it. I've tried Dune and Hyperion, but couldn't get into them.
Pulpy stuff vs stone cold classics? why not. I personally thought it was boring.

Jintor

Well, I finally finished reading Oliver Twist. Pretty decent. Got a lot better at the end, with the delve into both Sikes and Fagin's POVs.

Perhaps I should read A Christmas Carol whilst it's still the season... ish.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was looking for something to read and ran across Ready Player One. I read the sample and think I'll pick it up. Seems decent.

eReader question - is it worth upgrading from the last gen Paperwhite to the new version?

ShaneB

The series certainly gets my recommendation.

Celegus

I was looking for something to read and ran across Ready Player One. I read the sample and think I'll pick it up. Seems decent.

eReader question - is it worth upgrading from the last gen Paperwhite to the new version?

I kind of hated that book, and it's not personally worth it to me to upgrade, but to each their own. I rarely read on the kindle though.

Azulsky

I am making 2015 year of reading because I basically left my bookshelf dormant this year except for the Silmarillion read through.

For Xmas i got the full Black Company omnibus collection(4 big softcovers) and 2 Murakami books: IQ84, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Should i be reading Murakami in any particular order, seems like those two books are standalone?

That's what I figured. I think it probably would have been a slog to read, but the narration on the audiobook was excellent which pulled me through. Can't wait to start Judas tomorrow.

Yeah, but the stuff with the guy (Ozzie?), the kid, and the 'dog' was insufferable.

Not as bad as that horrible Melanie character.

Honestly, the second book was a disappointment. I like the ideas in the books but they do not deliver.
I slogged through Pandora and decided not to read Judas. These mixed impressions aren't helping.

Necrovex

I am making 2015 year of reading because I basically left my bookshelf dormant this year except for the Silmarillion read through.

For Xmas i got the full Black Company omnibus collection(4 big softcovers) and 2 Murakami books: IQ84, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Should i be reading Murakami in any particular order, seems like those two books are standalone?

Besides 1Q84, which were three books in Japan, none of Murakami's literature is connected to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom