• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Althane

Piecake, did you know that Necrovex is holding out on reading The Story of the Stone?

Looked at the plot summary for that, it looked interesting, but it appears that it's the middle of a trilogy? Do I need to read them in order, or are they individual stand alone stories?

Otherwise, seems like a cool break from my usual pseudo-European stuff.

Voror

Currently reading The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks, which is Book 3 in the Lightbringer Series. I read the Night Angel Trilogy a few years ago, but for some reason stopped early on in the first book of this series, though I can't recall why.

About halfway through now after tearing through the other books. Just starting to feel annoyed that the last book is likely to come out till 2016.

Olli128

I would recommend it, yes. While it was less depressing than I expected, it was still on the downer side of things.

As for what I liked about it? I liked how the the narrative voice changes as Fitz grows from a six-year old boy perspective is almost wholly non-verbal and interior, focused upon his psychic connection with a puppy, to a teenager, to an adult. I liked the villains, in the sense that I despised them and thought they seemed actually threatening to the protagonists. I liked the cast of secondary characters, and I liked how flawed Fitz was. I thought the magic systems were interesting, but they don't have the feel of the numinous despite reaching in that direction.

But if you really want to be depressed, read Bloodlands.

Keep reading, pretty sure Hobbs character deaths in the later books are the most depressing thing I've ever read. The latest book especially.

I finally started reading Red Country by Joe Abercombie, not sure why it took so long as I loved the First Law Trilogy, been so long I've forgotten alot of what happened haha. About half way through and it's enjoyable although not much of interest has happened so far.

Oh I also just finished The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham, really good although the quality declines over the series. The magic system is unique, characters are interesting although they could have been developed better without the large time gaps between books.

So, I happen to love Vance. Well, actually, I only read all of the dying earth. Only the dying earth.

The humor, Cugel selfishness, it's so grotesque and awesome.

So I told myself, read more Vance. And then I realized Vance wrote so many things. I want something close to the Dying Earth. What has he wrote that is the most similar to it ?

AS always, thank you very much, GAF.

Necrovex

Looked at the plot summary for that, it looked interesting, but it appears that it's the middle of a trilogy? Do I need to read them in order, or are they individual stand alone stories?

As a side note, the biggest reason I won't read the series is its lacking of a digital version. And it's a series that connect to each other, if my knowledge is accurate.

I use the PunPun excuse due to knowing Mumei will never read it.

Just read Dark Places. After reading Gone Girl and now this, Gillian Flynn might be my favorite author, she knows how to write fucked up people lol. Need to now read Sharp Objects.

Piecake

Piecake, did you know that Necrovex is holding out on reading The Story of the Stone?

And he is thinking of reading Wheel of time!?!? Man, if you are going to read a massive tome, The Story of the Stone is a MUCH better read than Wheel of Time. Plus, you actually learn something since the best way to understand traditional Chinese culture is reading that book.

Mumei

You're looking at the Barry Hughart book by the same name; I'm talking about the classic Chinese novel by Cao Xueqin, also known as The Dream of the Red Chamber. The Penguin release uses The Story of the Stone as its title (which is one of several titles the book is known as). It isn't a series of books, but one book broken into multiple volumes because you just can't contain that much awesome in a single volume.

Necrovex

And he is thinking of reading Wheel of time!?!? Man, if you are going to read a massive tome, The Story of the Stone is a MUCH better read than Wheel of Time. Plus, you actually learn something since the best way to understand traditional Chinese culture is reading that book.

I can't read the whole story within a month and a half period! Maybe if it was digital or wasn't moving to South Africa for a number of years. :p

I at least have access to Wheel of Time on a digital format!

Exams coming up, figured I could finish The Martian

Nc2elcr.jpg

Duct tape is indeed magic. Quite an enjoyable read and smartly put together in essence of the dangers of surviving alone on Mars. All the science bits were the outstanding parts for me. I know there's a lot of accuracy in there but the real genius was how well absorbing it was. The humour too was a nice touch to keep Mark's character in focus from the beginning to the end. However the secondary characters in comparison could have had some depth but I guess the real pacing was well attached to the grounded sci-fi survival theme. In short, it was a worthwhile trip.

ShaneB

NPR published their Best Books of 2014.

I've read one, The Bone Clocks and have copies of three more to read (The Martian, The Peripheral and Station Eleven).

They don't have my favorite book that I've read so far though, which was Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance. Can't say I blame them though, Stormlight Archives is a beast to get through.

http://apps.npr.org/best-books-2014/

Interesting collection of books, few new things I'd like to check out for sure. I think my favourite book I've read this year might still be Rocket Boys.

thomaser

I got the new Murakami: The Strange Library. It's really a short story with some extravagant illustrations taking up most of the space in its 96 pages. I'll probably finish it all today.

This is the best kind of post. New book from one of my favourite authors, and I had absolutely no idea that it existed, and your post says that it's actually out there to buy, right now. Thanks!

Do you know if the UK version also folds out, or is it like a normal book? Cannot tell from the pics I've seen.

Currently going through Claws that Catch by John Ringo. it's...way trashier than I remember. I mean, I knew it was trashy science fiction going in, but I don't remember all of these damn writing problems or missing commas. FFS Baen, learn to edit your shit.

Also listening to Mockingjay at work to review for a website. It's so bad. So. So bad.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Currently going through Claws that Catch by John Ringo. it's...way trashier than I remember. I mean, I knew it was trashy science fiction going in, but I don't remember all of these damn writing problems or missing commas. FFS Baen, learn to edit your shit.

Also listening to Mockingjay at work to review for a website. It's so bad. So. So bad.

Bolded is the most broadly applicable statement available in SFF commentary.

LProtag

This is the best kind of post. New book from one of my favourite authors, and I had absolutely no idea that it existed, and your post says that it's actually out there to buy, right now. Thanks!

Do you know if the UK version also folds out, or is it like a normal book? Cannot tell from the pics I've seen.

UK one is a standard hardcover, and in my opinion the art is way cooler. Text is integrated into it.

Grimalkin

Bolded is the most broadly applicable statement available in SFF commentary.

So true. I have built up quite the Baen collection by trawling my local used bookstore - every trip I make it a point to buy a book or two with the most tacky/crazy covers I can find. That's how I ended up with March Upcountry (shown above in this thread), I just could not pass that cover up for $1.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So true. I have built up quite the Baen collection by trawling my local used bookstore - every trip I make it a point to buy a book or two with the most tacky/crazy covers I can find. That's how I ended up with March Upcountry (shown above in this thread), I just could not pass that cover up for $1.

Thanks for listing my blog in your recommendations up-thread, by the way. Appreciated.

Mumei

Do you have a recommended read order for the Vorkosigan Saga? I've only read Shards of Honor.

You can mostly follow the omnibus order:

Cordelia's Honor
- Shards of Honor (check)
- Barrayar

Young Miles
- The Warrior's Apprentice
- The Mountains of Mourning (novella)
- The Vor Game

Miles, Mystery, and Mayhem
- Cetaganda
- Ethan of Athos
- Labyrinth (novella)

Miles Errant
- The Borders of Infinity (novella)
- Brothers in Arms
- Mirror Dance

- Memory (not collected in any omnibus edition, but definitely don't skip it!)

This is where I diverge from the order of the omnibus editions. After this, I'd suggest skipping to:

Miles in Love
- Komarr
- A Civil Campaign
- Winterfair Gifts (novella)

And then:

Miles, Mutants, and Microbes:
- Falling Free (chronologically the first in the series, by hundreds of years)
- Diplomatic Immunity (tied in with Falling Free, and comes after the events in A Civil Campaign, so it makes sense to pair those two).

Miles, Mutants, and Microbes also reprints Labyrinth.

After that, you just have:

- Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
- Cryoburn

reading:
Metals And How To Weld Them
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six

done reading:
The Gunslinger: The Dark Tower 1
Hyperion
Monkey (disappointing read)

Bazza

Time%27s_Eye_-_baxter2.JPG

Sunstorm_-_baxter.JPG

Firstborn-Baxter.JPG

Finished this series last night, the 1st book was a suggested book on Goodreads so I hadn't read anything about them before starting. The series was quite different to what I was expecting, especially the 1st book.
Considering who the authors are I was expecting something a little more futuristic and set on a galactic scale, so when the story started unfolding and Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan stomped into the picture I was pleasantly surprised.

The 2nd and 3rd books were probably more what I was expecting the series to be. Its a shame there are no more books in the series,
while I enjoyed the overall story I think the thing I would have enjoyed reading about most is what happened to the everyone on Mir, did they all die when the universe was destroyed or did they find a way back to their own universe

So, I happen to love Vance. Well, actually, I only read all of the dying earth. Only the dying earth.

The humor, Cugel selfishness, it's so grotesque and awesome.

So I told myself, read more Vance. And then I realized Vance wrote so many things. I want something close to the Dying Earth. What has he wrote that is the most similar to it ?

AS always, thank you very much, GAF.

Anyone ? :(

besada

Banned
Finished the new King book, which I enjoyed. Slow, but steady pacing to a corker of an ending. Honestly, I enjoy reading him as much for his bucolic family life depictions as I do for the spooky these days.

Started Ben Bova's Mercury:
moX2Ilm.jpg

This and one more will complete my fifty for the year, at which point I can re-read things! Woo!

Althane

You're looking at the Barry Hughart book by the same name; I'm talking about the classic Chinese novel by Cao Xueqin, also known as The Dream of the Red Chamber. The Penguin release uses The Story of the Stone as its title (which is one of several titles the book is known as). It isn't a series of books, but one book broken into multiple volumes because you just can't contain that much awesome in a single volume.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I'll keep an eye out for it, I do enjoy reading epics.

peakish

Finished The Scar by China Mieville. It had some good parts, but meandered a lot. The main plot line sort of just resolved itself in the final fifty pages, following a subplot that didn't have any real effect on the it. Even as a tale of a city it didn't quite get me to feel like knowing it, or the characters. Bit disappointed.

Also Kallocain, a dystopian novel from 1940 by Karin Boye centered around a scientist and his newly invented truth serum. It's not very subtle, but in contrast to The Scar I felt a connection to the world and its characters, who tried their best to suppress their humanity in favour for the good of the World State. They felt very human with their struggles, and it's not difficult to draw the intended parallel to how normal people lived and acted in the fascist regimes of Europe at the time.

I'll be starting Purge by Sofi Oksanen tonight. I've been wanting to read something of hers for a while now and it seems like a decent follow up to Kallocain.

Further into New X-Men. This is some fantastic stuff. I think this might be my favorite X-Men story. Just all the twists and turns that the story takes is amazing. The way that the characters are written is fantastic. A few of my favorite parts is
when finding out that Xavier is actually under control with his sister actually in his mind. U-Men, Beak being mind controlled to beat Beast with a bat.
Some great stuff. I can't wait to read more.

Finished The Scar by China Mieville. It had some good parts, but meandered a lot. The main plot line sort of just resolved itself in the final fifty pages, following a subplot that didn't have any real effect on the it. Even as a tale of a city it didn't quite get me to feel like knowing it, or the characters. Bit disappointed.

Also Kallocain, a dystopian novel from 1940 by Karin Boye centered around a scientist and his newly invented truth serum. It's not very subtle, but in contrast to The Scar I felt a connection to the world and its characters, who tried their best to suppress their humanity in favour for the good of the World State. They felt very human with their struggles, and it's not difficult to draw the intended parallel to how normal people lived and acted in the fascist regimes of Europe at the time.

I'll be starting Purge by Sofi Oksanen tonight. I've been wanting to read something of hers for a while now and it seems like a decent follow up to Kallocain.

I actually think China Mieville is a pretty good author. I like The Scar more than Perdido Street Station though. You make some pretty good points.

If you like all three of those, Jeff VanderMeer is your next stop. One of the leading proponents of The New Weird, along with China Mieville, VanderMeer (and his wife as an editor) has done a lot to bring the strangeness back to speculative fiction.

I'd start with the Southern Reach Trilogy, which you'll see mentioned throughout this thread, or maybe some Mieville. For you, I'd start with The City and The City or Embassytown, rather than the Bas-Lag books, although you should get to those and VanderMeer's Ambergris books eventually.

I went to the book store today and they had the Southern Reach trilogy so I picked it up. I'll let you know how it goes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mieville's not exactly an amazing storyteller, to be totally honest. I read his books for the insane settings and ideas, not the plot, which is secondary to the Monster Manual-esque nature of his books.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
cover_277.jpg

Rereading Name of the Wind so I can read the next book too. Love the series, and I love the above cover, but oh god, those alternate covers are horrendous.

TheNameoftheWind_cover.jpg

cover2.jpg

fakefaker

Unhappily finished up The Search for Heinrich Schlögel by Martha Baillie tonight. It was an amazing book, full of whimsy and brutal honesty and made with love for the delicate and the lost. Highly recommended.

Now onto One Night in Sixes by Arianne "Tex" Thompson.

18775302.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom