• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

Funny. I love Hardboiled Wonderland. It's not only my favorite Murakami but up there with my favorite novels, period. It's also the first Murakami book I read, which might have something to do with why I loved it so much. Had never read anything like it before. Did you read Wind-Up Bird first or second?

His non-fiction book Underground about the Tokyo sarin gas attacks is essential as well.

I started with Wind-Up Bird, and that might be part of the reason.

My biggest problem with Hard-Boiled, I think, was the constant shifting back and forth between competing narratives, and I never felt like the two narratives were equally interesting. At some points in the book I drastically preferred one. At other points I drastically preferred the other.

I'd probably recommend the Wheel of Time. It is, despite some flaws, perhaps among the better high fantasy works. Pretty traditional though, but if you like Sanderson's works, then you may like WoT.

Also already read that.

My MO is that I tend to pick up on an author and read everything they have. Then I move on.

Already hit Brandon Sanders and Robert Jordan.

IISANDERII

Starting Wool. So far it's not bad. I do like how the first section has you thinking one thing and then it goes and turns it around on you entirely. I like being surprised when I read so that was a great turn.

wool-372011-fan-casting-if-wool-were-the-next-big-sci-fi-flick.jpeg
I just finished this. Very good but some parts of it really dragged, just seemed like pointless filler; went nowhere. Overall, really liked it though.

Anybody read the prequels, SHIFT?

Woorloog

Banned
Also already read that.

My MO is that I tend to pick up on an author and read everything they have. Then I move on.

Figures.

Then i have no recommendations, because i haven't found anything interesting myself (well there's ASOIAF but it is very unlike WoT and Sanderson's works).

Figures.

Then i have no recommendations, because i haven't found anything interesting myself (well there's ASOIAF but it is very unlike WoT and Sanderson's works).

I would get into ASOIAF, but I am already so far behind that I am not really interested. Show works fine.... and will probably catch up to the books sooner or later.

Krowley

Also already read that.

You should try Patrick Rothfuss: Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear... The writing is mostly great, the story is pretty classic, great world building.. Some say the main character is a Mary Sue (or Gary Stue/Stew, or whatever), but I would argue that there is clearly an element of unreliable narration that accounts for a lot of that.

In many ways, both books remind me of WOT... The basic tone is very similar. I've never read Mistborn, but Rothfuss has a pretty interesting/complex magic system, which I know is one of Sanderson's trademarks, and was obviously a big part of the WOT series.

Someone recommend me a series along the same lines (as far as genre/pacing) as Mistborn.

I have been looking for a new series for weeks, but the sheer volume of fantasy out there scares me away from actually taking the dive and buying something.

I'll try out the Codex books. Seems like an interesting premise.

Not really into historically based fantasy like Powder Mage.
Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy

Piecake

I would get into ASOIAF, but I am already so far behind that I am not really interested. Show works fine.... and will probably catch up to the books sooner or later.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan is very very good

You also might like the Riyria Revelations series

Celegus

Someone recommend me a series along the same lines (as far as genre/pacing) as Mistborn.

I have been looking for a new series for weeks, but the sheer volume of fantasy out there scares me away from actually taking the dive and buying something.

The Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch is the closest I've come across, especially the heist aspect of the first Mistborn book. The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is pretty great too.

Ashes

Banned
I started a lot of books this past week. Hope to finish a couple before the year is over to meet my 2014 Reading Challenge quota.

What is, if you don't mind my asking, your reading challenge quota?

#

Started Zweig's Chess Story [aka The Royal Game]. iirc he gave up on life following this. A terrible loss to the literature world, going by the first part of the novel.

It's a short book. Glad I'm reading it.

It'll be my fourth book of the month. Need to read another ten following that.

peakish

If I had to say why I liked The Scar better, I just found the setting to be much more interesting. You have alot of valid criticism though, which I agree with. I wish he would spend more time on the actual plot than world building.
Yeah, I'm probably coming on to it a bit rough, I'm not trying to argue that the book was bad. It's more a very roundabout way for me to say that I'll pick up some more books from Bas-Lag next year :)

Set a quota of 15 books this year, which is more than I read last year, and I'm already at 18 with the likelihood of finishing Dauntless before the end of the year.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Given Words of Radiance is likely an early read for 2015 and I'd like to finish writing book 2 of my own series, I'll probably set 15 as the goal for next year too.

How's everyone else doing against their goals and are you staying flat or going up/down next year?

Shengar

I'm staying flat with 50 books this year. Not really good considering that last year I managed to read 54 while this year it seems I barely make it.

survivor

Banned
Set a quota of 15 books this year, which is more than I read last year, and I'm already at 18 with the likelihood of finishing Dauntless before the end of the year.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Given Words of Radiance is likely an early read for 2015 and I'd like to finish writing book 2 of my own series, I'll probably set 15 as the goal for next year too.

How's everyone else doing against their goals and are you staying flat or going up/down next year?

I initially did 20 then after I finished it, increased it to 30 and then 2 months ago I pushed it up to 50. I'm about 8 books behind but I think I can meet my goal.

Reading on the bus to/from school has been very helpful in getting me to finish a lot of books.

Nymerio

Heh, I'm sitting at 42 books at the moment too. I managed to finish 66 books last year but this year I don't think I'll even get to 50. There just wasn't that much that really gripped me like the stuff I read last year.

Necrovex

Heh, I'm sitting at 42 books at the moment too. I managed to finish 66 books last year but this year I don't think I'll even get to 50. There just wasn't that much that really gripped me like the stuff I read last year.

I know your pain. The Sword of Truth ravaged my chances of completing this challenge this year.

hythloday

I did my Goodreads goal of 25 this year, so I'm happy. Although, I don't actually count re-reads as part of my list on Goodreads and in the fall I re-read the Outlander series (8 books). So technically I read 33 (and I'm still going). I had wanted to work more non-fiction into this year's books, but that plan was before I started the Wheel of Time. My non-fiction for the year consisted solely of The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir.

Just started:

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

I didn't think I'd finish WoT by the end of the year, but I most likely will. And I think I'm going to be very sad when I do, regardless of how it ends. The world and the characters have really grown on me.

Nymerio

I know your pain. The Sword of Truth ravaged my chances of completing this challenge this year.

Eh, I'm not that concerned about not completing the challenge. I mean, for a while I actually was and kept telling myself I have to read more, but then I started to realize that it wasn't worth it to force myself to do something when I'd rather do something else. I mean, even if I 'only' manage to finsish 45 books or so, I probably read more than all my friends combined
probably in their lives :p

I've been reading the Queen's Thief books and I'm enjoying them far more than thought I would. I think I went through three in like a week or so. They're really quick reads, to the point, with likeable characters. I'm about to start the fourth book today.

ShaneB

Finished off 'Where Men Win Glory', gave it 4/5. Just heartbreaking stuff in general, only really avoided giving it a 5/5 because it was very hard to read at times, from an emotional standpoint and just the visceral depictions of war and combat. Just imagery that is hard to forget. Certainly a case of a book I'm very glad to have read and learn more about Pat Tillman, with some very disturbing stuff as well.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

I have a soft goal of 30 books a year and I rarely hit it. I'm up to 24 books. I'm in the middle of Stoner and The Vorkosigan Saga so I might chew my way up to my goal but it's unlikely. Playing too much KOTOR.

Piecake

I've read 75 books this year with a goal of 100. I think I might make it to 80, but I think I would have made it if it counted pages instead of books. I've read a lot of really big books, which adds up to about 37.5k pages and would equal 100 books if the average page of my books was 370 pages.

I think I will keep the same goal as next year and see how I do.

Favorite fiction: Stoner by John WIlliams
Favorite Non-fiction: The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Favorite History: Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefelller

though this was a tough choice since Ive read a lot of good books.

TTG

Finished Rabbit, Run and have now moved on to Rabbit Redux. Someone recommend me something fast and uplifting or adventurous because while this is exceptional(and I absolutely mean that) I don't know how much more of this ordinary vacuous human flailing and despair can stand without a tonal shift. Updike makes Ibsen look like picturesque family happiness.

Anyway, it's very good and you should read it, but first someone hit with a Jason Bourne equivalent. Anyone got something like that?

RulkezX

Brent Weeks might be right up your alley.

duckroll

Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick

I've been reading this over the last week plus. Finished it off a few days ago. It's a really good selection of his works, and while I've read some of the more popular stories in it before, a lot was also new to me. What's particularly striking in the collection is how strong Dick's range was over the decades. While there are themes he revisits in multiple stories, there are also so many unique ideas in each one which makes each story a new wonder to explore. What surprised me the most are some of his stranger tales which twists traditional religion in really bold ways, especially considering when they were written, and explore Gnostic themes in tales which could easily pass off as horror rather than just scifi.

Another thing which was evident while reading through the collection is just how jaded Dick seemed with society and with the world at large. While his stories almost always had some humorous edge to them, sometimes in a dark way, and he always tried to have some sort of moral behind the tales, the actual tone in many of them especially with regards to the settings are very biting critiques of human behavior. Being able to still relate many of these critiques with modern society today can be a bleak reminder of how little we have changed as people, even as everything around us advances so quickly.

Why don't you guys do Book of the year voting thread. That would be great.

Not exactly the same thing but at the end of the year I create a 'Your favorite book of the year' thread for books people read within that year - the caveat being it can be published any year, not just 2014. I just created a new one (thanks to your reminder) here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947161

Feel free to make a 2014 voting thread though and I'll link it in the OP.

Althane

So, the Bullet Catcher's Daughter is on sale today on the Kindle book store. Anyone read it? Cover is interesting, and the summary seem intriguing.

Just finished Furies of Calderon, as per a recommendation here the other day.

I am giving it a 3.5 out of 5. It was good enough to keep me reading, but the characters, though likable, had paper thin motivations, which totally breaks the immersion for me.

I also like magic systems to have limitations. The one in this book was super cool, but too vague for me.

Probably won't pick up the sequels

BNThkb7.jpg

Going to try Imager by L. E. Modesitt Jr next.

Also, I have decided that I just don't like first person novels. Tried hard to read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.............. but it just lost me. 2.5/5.

Was a fourth of the way through the book and still didn't feel like I knew what was going on and cared even less about the characters.

c3mmCEd.jpg

Althane

I am giving it a 3.5 out of 5. It was good enough to keep me reading, but the characters, though likable, had paper thin motivations, which totally breaks the immersion for me.

Calderon is Butcher's side-work, and it kind of shows. I'd almost file it under YA; it's got enough there to be of that category.

It's basically Batman + Lost Roman Legion + Pokemon (Furies) + Captain Planet (Furies again) +
Starcraft

They're a very "pulpy" read; I read through most of them when I was travelling. So, fun for that. Otherwise, Dresden Files is what you should really read from him.

Finished A Wild Sheep Chase. I really liked it but I thought the second half seemed pretty rushed. It was a little over half way before they really started their search and it seemed like once they got on there way it was suddenly over. I'll probably check out Dance Dance Dance soon, but probably not right away.

Not sure what I'll check out next between The Shining, Martian, or Dark Places. Leaning toward Martian.

Zona

I also like magic systems to have limitations. The one in this book was super cool, but too vague for me.

Probably won't pick up the sequels

I told you it was completely OK. Heh, I should have asked what you liked about Mistborn. Depending on that my recommendations will go in completely different directions.

If you don't like first person narration then try Halting State by Charles Stross. It will be... different.

I told you it was completely OK. Heh, I should have asked what you liked about Mistborn. Depending on that my recommendations will go in completely different directions.

If you don't like first person narration then try Halting State by Charles Stross. It will be... different.

Lol... I would say the main thing I liked about most books I read is the believable and well fleshed out worlds. I have a hard time getting involved in the plot, if the setting for that plot is vague.

I'll look into Halting State.

Calderon is Butcher's side-work, and it kind of shows. I'd almost file it under YA; it's got enough there to be of that category.

It's basically Batman + Lost Roman Legion + Pokemon (Furies) + Captain Planet (Furies again) +
Starcraft

They're a very "pulpy" read; I read through most of them when I was travelling. So, fun for that. Otherwise, Dresden Files is what you should really read from him.

Yeah. I never understood the distinction between YA fantasy and adult fantasy.

In the last year or two most of the YA books have just been bad..... and not because of their audience.

eznark

Banned
Finished Old Mans War. I liked it a lot, preferred the build up more than the payoff though. The entire third act was kind of meh. Read the back of the book on the sequel and not really interested in continuing the series, though I will give Scalzi another look.

Gonna read Pandoras Star next, keep the sci if thing going for a bit longer. I hit my goal of 25 books read for pleasure this year without trouble. Probably gonna up it to 40 next year, since I spent all summer reading Wheel of Time and still hit 30.

Celegus

Lol... I would say the main thing I liked about most books I read is the believable and well fleshed out worlds. I have a hard time getting involved in the plot, if the setting for that plot is vague.

Definitely have to check out Pat Rothfuss then, he's created himself a very lovely world.

Finished Old Mans War. I liked it a lot, preferred the build up more than the payoff though. The entire third act was kind of meh. Read the back of the book on the sequel and not really interested in continuing the series, though I will give Scalzi another look.

Gonna read Pandoras Star next, keep the sci if thing going for a bit longer. I hit my goal of 25 books read for pleasure this year without trouble. Probably gonna up it to 40 next year, since I spent all summer reading Wheel of Time and still hit 30.
Scalzi has some good stuff, but I haven't read anything new from him for a couple years.

I'll be interested in your opinion of Pandora's Star. That one was a slog for me but I know a lot of people enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom