• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2013)

ShaneB

im trying to gety back into reading. anyone got a suggestion for a good fantasy sci-fi book?

Ready Player One, is a pretty easy read, combing fantasy and sci-fi elements. I thought it was fantastic, great fun.

haha yeah Amy is like a evil genius, I kinda liked her for part of the story, but by the end she just scared the hell out of me lol. Gillian Flynn did a great job writing her and Nick as well. He very relatable most of the time. Definitely will be keeping an eye on what she does next and of course for the inevitable hollywood take on it.

Yeah, that character arc is clearly the intention of Amy, the Cool Girl as she puts it. That's why the twist starting in part 2 of the book hits like a tonne of bricks. And yeah, I definitely related to Nick, so there was that connection as well. And as you mention, the inevitable hollywood adaptation will be interesting to see how it turns out...

Now to decide what to read next. Has anyone read Midnight Sin ? Seems like a fantastic read, so I might tackle this next. or maybe another Mackenzie 92 recommendation, 'The Martian'. Or maybe start The Hobbit before watching the movie... or maybe The Hunger Games.. or maybe.. ah dammit.

fader

Ready Player One, is a pretty easy read, combing fantasy and sci-fi elements. I thought it was fantastic, great fun.

Yeah, that character arc is clearly the intention of Amy, the Cool Girl as she puts it. That's why the twist starting in part 2 of the book hits like a tonne of bricks. And yeah, I definitely related to Nick, so there was that connection as well. And as you mention, the inevitable hollywood adaptation will be interesting to see how it turns out...

Now to decide what to read next. Has anyone read Midnight Sin ? Seems like a fantastic read, so I might tackle this next. or maybe another Mackenzie 92 recommendation, 'The Martian'. Or maybe start The Hobbit before watching the movie... or maybe The Hunger Games.. or maybe.. ah dammit.

that sounds really familiar. thanks, ill look into it.

ShaneB

that sounds really familiar. thanks, ill look into it.

No problem, it can be pretty silly at times, but it was one of the first books I read after getting an eReader this past christmas so I figure since it helped me get back into reading, it could do the same for you. It's nothing too complex, but that's all it can take really, it's just a fun ride.

t-ramp

im trying to gety back into reading. anyone got a suggestion for a good fantasy sci-fi book?
I'm far from well-versed in fantasy or sci-fi literature, but if you want something a bit different, China Mieville's The Scar or Perdido Street Station are pretty great.

While I haven't read a whole lot of hard sci-fi, a couple years ago I went on a small Frederik Pohl binge. The World at the End of Time was a cool story and an easy read.

Azrael

51okNVK9FVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

21146.jpg

41EZeln-6nL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished these recently;

The Purple Cloud by M. P. Shiel

A Red Sun Also Rises by Mark Hodder

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin

The Purple Cloud was incredibly interesting in places, but was generally such a chore to read that I was glad when it was over. It was interesting seeing how, at the time the book was written (8 years before anyone reached the north pole), people really had no idea what was there and had all manner of fanciful explanations. But, once the book concerns itself with the destruction of humanity that occurs from the visit to the pole and then proceeds to chart the protagonists exploits as a lone survivor over the next twenty years, it falls apart completely and I struggled to reach the end.

A Red Sun Also Rises was not was I was expecting at all, it started out feeling like a HG Wells adventure, before quickly becoming something much more alien and inventive. The world Hodder creates is intriguing and perplexing in equal measure and, while confusion reigns at first, the outcome and resulting explanation are a satisfying conclusion to one of the most unique new fantasy/science-fiction hybrids I've read in years.

Finally, I found The Left Hand of Darkness to be an incredibly well written piece that presents some unique ideas (such as the idea of a society of humans that have evolved without gender) and is set on a wonderfully wrought planet in the grip of a continuous ice age. Le Guin brings to world to life in expert fashion and although, at times, the themes of progress versus tradition and fear in the face of inevitable change aren't very subtle, the depth of the setting and of the characters within was more than enough to keep me intrigued and entertained in equal measure. When the book was finished and I had read through the pieces of poetry and extraneous lore at the back and poured over the maps of the world, I wanted nothing more than to carry on reading stories set in that world, which I think is a testament to how well Ursula Le Guin handles her craft.

Finally, I found The Left Hand of Darkness to be an incredibly well written piece that presents some unique ideas (such as the idea of a society of humans that have evolved without gender) and is set on a wonderfully wrought planet in the grip of a continuous ice age. Le Guin brings to world to life in expert fashion and although, at times, the themes of progress versus tradition and fear in the face of inevitable change aren't very subtle, the depth of the setting and of the characters within was more than enough to keep me intrigued and entertained in equal measure. When the book was finished and I had read through the pieces of poetry and extraneous lore at the back and poured over the maps of the world, I wanted nothing more than to carry on reading stories set in that world, which I think is a testament to how well Ursula Le Guin handles her craft.

Great summary. Makes me want to read it again. It's the most "poetic" sci-fi I ever read - truly mind-blowing.

I made it about halfway through the audiobook version of 11/22/63 and couldn't go on. Part (most, perhaps) of the reason was the overwhelmingly melancholy narration

New to King, are you? His male-female relationship writing is never not ham-fisted. Pure cornbread...

Late last year I saw "The Perks of being a Wallflower" and was surprised how good the movie was. I had no previous knowledge of this movie so my expectations were lower than neutral. I gave it a chance and was surprisingly charming and the characters were great. I bought the book right away on Amazon and finally started reading it and the movie did a good job portraying the book.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Have you read any other of her Hainish works? While most don't reach the heights of The Left Hand of Darkness, I have really enjoyed all that I've read so far. Some of her short stories are fantastic.

balddemon

Banned
started and finished catching fire last night...so many twists I just couldn't put it down haha. bout to start mockingjay so I'm not up til 2am again.

t-ramp

New to King, are you? His male-female relationship writing is never not ham-fisted. Pure cornbread...
Well yes, but the narrator made every sentence a tragedy and I couldn't do it.

Narrator as in the audiobook reader, I mean. The actual book was interesting but also suffered from being arguably too long and... unfocused, maybe.

The only other King I've read is, of all things, The Eyes of the Dragon. That was many years ago, though.

thinking about buying a cheap e-reader..either Nook simple touch or the $70 kindle, anyone knows how they fare against one another ?

Well yes, but the narrator made every sentence a tragedy and I couldn't do it.

Narrator as in the audiobook reader, I mean.

I felt the same way and just stopped listening to the audiobook version. Some of the sadder and darker spots of the novel were simply unlistenable as the narrator broke down into sobbing. He's definitely talented, but I couldn't listen to him anymore.

I'm currently reading:

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds,

and listening to the audiobook version in the car/gym. The audiobook reader is totally hamming it up at times, but it's a great listen. The gravitas and oddly exaggerated inflection he gives the main character and one of his partners is, for some reason, really enjoyable. When I'm reading I can't help but try to give the characters' lines the exact same inflection in my head. The story is, of course, excellent.

After this I've only got a couple of short story collections to round out everything in the Revelation Space series. However I may try to finish up the Culture series after today's terrible news. :(

Top Bottom