• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2013)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
latest wool book (first shift 3) is out.

guys a champion, which they were longer though :(

Finished Still With Me (Thierry Choen) in a single day. A 20-year-old commits suicide and sees the monster he could have become by waking up on his birthday throughout his could-have-been life. Decent enough, very French. The translation was pretty bland though.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/
are having a sale with heavily discounted books they change every 15 min.
They ship worldwide for free.

How do you see the book currently on this special sale? I can't find it.

EDIT: Well, it wasn't there before, but it's there now. Never mind. :p

Kimaka

Andrzej_Sapkowski_-_The_Last_Wish.jpg

Finished this. I'm reading through the Witcher books to have more background information about the games. I liked it up until the last short story.

Next up is The Sword of Destiny. Pity that the English publishers skipped this. I would rather read an official version instead of a fan translation.

ShaneB

Just passed the 90% mark for Caliban's War, so I'll be finishing that up perhaps on my lunch break. I am on the edge of my seat reading through this climax, loving it.

edit: Just finished it. I think I preferred Leviathan Wakes
, I enjoyed the sort of noir stuff of Detective Miller over the Political stuff of Avasarala, who I kept wanting Bobbie to punch in the face. lol
Really loving this series though, can't wait for Abaddon's Gate now. Which really I guess is the first book release I've ever really looked forward too. lol, I guess that would include the later parts of aSoIaF if I ever get around to reading that series past the first book.

severin

inherent-vice6.jpg

Absolutely loved it and curious now about more Pynchon, specifically "Mason & Dixon". I expect the latter to be totally different, however.

Please let me know how this turns out. The covers caught my attention whilst browsing at Indigo and I'd like a new fantasy series to sink some time into.
But, y'know, dwarves are lame, so I'm hesitant.

It's not bad. Like someone else said, it's kinda laid out like a rpg quest line. Hero goes here, finds out he needs to go somewhere else etc. The main character is a dwarf, but he's pretty rad.

hermit7

Finished this the other day.
manhighcastle1.jpg

Have just began this (and am like 40 percent through with it.)
destiny.jpg

Am planning on reading The Shining as my next book.
stephenking.jpg

Dresden

Read the Last Wish (as in, the last story of 'The Last Wish' collection) last night, and it certainly explains the whole Geralt-Yennefer connection. Still, Team Triss.

---

Checked out Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad at the liberry.

Sleepy

inherent-vice6.jpg

Absolutely loved it and curious now about more Pynchon, specifically "Mason & Dixon". I expect the latter to be totally different, however.

I finished IV for the second time a few weeks ago. It's a lot better than people give it credit for. It inspired me to read

200px-Vineland.JPG

for the second time (I'm about 50 pages in), and it is already much better than I remember.

You are correct that IV is different than his "weightier" novels. The California novels, Inherent Vice, Vineland, and The Crying of Lot 49, are a bit easier to get into/less complex. But don't let that stop you. My favorite writer by a mile. You should, at some point, read Gravity's Rainbow--probably after you have read 49, which perfectly encapsulates the Pynchonian aesthetic/poetic.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finally finished Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson tonight. Really enjoyed it once I got past the first 100 pages or so...

And after a couple days break, going to start Garan the Eternal by Andre Norton. It'll be my first novel by Ms. Norton and I'm really looking forward to it.

garan_the_eternal_1.jpg

Ceebs

It took me a month and a half inbetween manga, anime and gaming, but I finally finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

I'm not entirely sure what I think about it, but I'm getting the impression I need to read more things.
I like this cover.

I need to read some new stuff, but I have been going through some of my favorites again this month. Just finished The Long Ships for like the 5th time and working on Alas Babylon for probably the 50th.

Fey

Banned
Currently in the middle of

1Nhc8Iw.jpg

on my kindle. I probably will be reading it for a while, with school starting again on Monday and Fire Emblem in the way. :/

f0rk

Finished reading Rubicon and really enjoyed it.
Two small complaints though, first there was a part half way through were many people with names beginning with C started showing up and I found it quite hard to tell who was who as it switched between them. Might be just me.
Second it ended kind of suddenly and I was left wanting to go right into the Empire phase. Partly this was because on Kindle the final page is actually at ~75% so I was expecting it. Is there much recommended reading that tracks the downfall of Rome as an empire? I found it interesting in how Julius and Augustus were never officially Emperors as before reading I would have guessed at that as their final title.

On to The Great Gatsby now

ledman

AACF7457.jpg

Dance Dance Dance from Murakami, My first Murakami book and I really enjoying more than I though.
I not reading the japanese edition but I really like this cover.

Tuck

Deadhouse Gates, by Steve Erikson.

Its the second book in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. Its a pretty difficult read at time, just because the lore is so complicated. Its not perfect - it doesn't really have any funny characters (Or reeally many funny moments), and it isn't that suspenseful. Yet, its endearing. The world is built up so brilliantly, and its a good read. A large cast of characters in numerous overlapping stories. Its no Game of Thrones, but I'm enjoying the series.

Jintor

Oh, i finally finished this bastard of a book

Crimes Against Humanity by Geoffrey Robertson

One hell of a primer on Crimes Against Humanity, but even though the author tries (and generally succeeds) in laying it out in human terms, the snark and cynicism and the complex mire of bearucracy and politics that surrounds the whole topic add up to this really depressing atmosphere. On top of that, it's functionally a textbook. So basically it took me three months to read this goddamned tome.

On to something else:

Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression by Studs Terkel

Dance Dance Dance from Murakami, My first Murakami book and I really enjoying more than I though.
I not reading the japanese edition but I really like this cover.

Dance, Dance, Dance is actually the sequel to Wild Sheep Chase. It probably stands fine on it's own, but I'd definitely suggest reading Wild Sheep Chase first.

Ratrat

Deadhouse Gates, by Steve Erikson.

Its the second book in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. Its a pretty difficult read at time, just because the lore is so complicated. Its not perfect - it doesn't really have any funny characters (Or reeally many funny moments), and it isn't that suspenseful. Yet, its endearing. The world is built up so brilliantly, and its a good read. A large cast of characters in numerous overlapping stories. Its no Game of Thrones, but I'm enjoying the series.
I'm reading Gardens of the Moon now and it's mostly very boring. It's similar to Prince of Nothing and The Black Company but not good. It's mostly the lack of compelling characters/motivation, but the pacing...and writing... I wish fantasy books were shorter and more focused. Moonspawn is cool though.

Dresden

Read a bit of Goon Squad and my first impression is that Egan is no Karen Tei Yamashita.

Also ordered Light, by M. John Harrison.

Some good sales today ...

Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman is $1.99 (was $12.99 before today)

Childhoods End by Arthur C Clark is $2.99

Anathem by Neal Stephenson is $1.99

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is $1.99 ... NOTE: Don't let the horrible movie scare you away. The book is a great post-apocalypse story and has a much more interesting last half than the movie.

Finished reading Rubicon and really enjoyed it.
Two small complaints though, first there was a part half way through were many people with names beginning with C started showing up and I found it quite hard to tell who was who as it switched between them. Might be just me.
Second it ended kind of suddenly and I was left wanting to go right into the Empire phase. Partly this was because on Kindle the final page is actually at ~75% so I was expecting it. Is there much recommended reading that tracks the downfall of Rome as an empire? I found it interesting in how Julius and Augustus were never officially Emperors as before reading I would have guessed at that as their final title.

On to The Great Gatsby now

Romans were awful about having like 6 names they used over and over. I reccomend the History of Rome podcast which goes up to the fall of the western empire.

Wait, I was pretty sure Augustus was an emperor

Technically he was the first emperor of Rome (if you don't count Julius), but in his time he never let himself be called that and he was careful never to let the senate feel powerless, he preferred the title princepts or "first among equals"

Jintor

Hmmm... I thought at some point the Senate didn't even bother with the Imperator for Life thing Julius had going and just named him Emperor and Augustus didn't bother to argue not to be called it.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Hey everyone,

I hope it's okay to ask for book recommendations in this thread! I didn't want to start a new thread just for that.

I'm going to visit family and have a very long flight to look forward to (12+ hours). It's not smart for me to sleep on the way there, because of jet lag, so I'm going to try to read as much as possible. I want to load my Kindle up with three or four novels.

I'm in the mood for something sci-fi/futuristic, with a portrayal of dystopia and/or war, and the social and ethical implications they have on society. And of course the higher the stakes, the better. I haven't read very much in that vein, but I am a fan of sci-fi in general.

The last couple books I read that fall into those categories were both late last year.
The Hunger Games trilogy, which was the equivalent of eating pretzels to me: got through the books fast but the writing fell really flat and left a salty aftertaste :p They were all right though.
I also tried for a re-read of Ender's Game, which I'd attempted to read in middle school and loathed. So I gave it another chance, but no, I still really dislike it and only got about halfway through before giving up.

I guess the main thing would be that the book should be exciting enough to hold my attention while I'm on the plane and keep me awake. :p But great prose would be a bonus as well. I'd definitely like to read a classic like 1984 or Brave New World, but I'm not sure which is the best to start with. :) Also had the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood recommended to me, would love to hear any thoughts on that book!

Thank you in advance!

TheWraith

I'm in the mood for something sci-fi/futuristic, with a portrayal of dystopia and/or war, and the social and ethical implications they have on society. And of course the higher the stakes, the better. I haven't read very much in that vein, but I am a fan of sci-fi in general.

This would comes to mind, and would fit your description quite nicely:
dune.jpg

I also tried for a re-read of Ender's Game, which I'd attempted to read in middle school and loathed. So I gave it another chance, but no, I still really dislike it and only got about halfway through before giving up.

What about Ender's Game is so repellent to you? This could affect recommendations.

The thing about 1984, The Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World is that none of them really have a plot until the second acts of their books, so if you're easily bored, know that before going in. The opening acts of dystopia descriptions are very tasty and completely engrossing, but little happens early on. Hunger Games they are not, despite the much better writing. Brave New World is my favorite out of the three because it has the most to think about.

I would also suggest Snow Crash (more cyberpunk than dystopia, but with lots of action and cool ideas), almost anything by Philip K. Dick, and perhaps even Neuromancer (also more cyberpunk).

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
What about Ender's Game is so repellent to you? This could affect recommendations.

The thing about 1984, The Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World is that none of them really have a plot until the second acts of their books, so if you're easily bored, know that before going in. The opening acts of dystopia descriptions are very tasty and completely engrossing, but little happens early on. Hunger Games they are not, despite the much better writing. Brave New World is my favorite out of the three because it has the most to think about.

I would also suggest Snow Crash (more cyberpunk than dystopia, but with lots of action and cool ideas), almost anything by Philip K. Dick, and perhaps even Neuromancer (also more cyberpunk).

Sorry, I probably should have elaborated about Ender's Game. I think my criticisms fall in line with most other peoples': I find the book gets unexciting and tedious to read once it starts concentrating on the training drills, and I find that it lacks any multi-faceted characters including Ender himself. It might rebound in the second half, I'm not sure. It gets so much praise I decided to give it a second chance because I thought I must have been missing something when I tried it the first time. But to me it still just kind of... falls flat.

I'm not easily bored, really, and I don't have a problem with books that are difficult to read or where the plot comes in late... I'm mostly looking for something where the stakes are high, and if it's a slow buildup or a quick one it doesn't matter too much. I read an excerpt of Brave New World a while back and it really drew me in, was only the first twenty pages or so but I was really digging it. I didn't pick it up because I was in the middle of a different book, but perhaps I'll go for that over 1984 since you recommend it.

Philip K Dick is another author I've been meaning to read more of. Thanks for the recommendations!

Some good sales today ...

Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman is $1.99 (was $12.99 before today)

Childhoods End by Arthur C Clark is $2.99

Anathem by Neal Stephenson is $1.99

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is $1.99 ... NOTE: Don't let the horrible movie scare you away. The book is a great post-apocalypse story and has a much more interesting last half than the movie.

I've been meaning to get into Stephenson for a while, but I just read the sample to Anathem, and I had no clue what the hell any of the characters were talking about. Should I still pick it up and give it a shot anyways?

I also read the Childhood's End sample, and I will be picking it up.

ShaneB

Was debating what to read, since I wanted a break from sci-fi/fantasy, started reading Gone Girl from the recommendation here. Really enjoying it so far and already moving to that 'whodunnit?' stage.

Was debating what to read, since I wanted a break from sci-fi/fantasy, started reading Gone Girl from the recommendation here. Really enjoying it so far and already moving to that 'whodunnit?' stage.

Enjoy man, that shit is awesome. I don't wanna spoil anything for you, but yeah, that was fun and somewhat terrifying.

Hey everyone,

I hope it's okay to ask for book recommendations in this thread! I didn't want to start a new thread just for that.

I'm going to visit family and have a very long flight to look forward to (12+ hours). It's not smart for me to sleep on the way there, because of jet lag, so I'm going to try to read as much as possible. I want to load my Kindle up with three or four novels.

The last couple books I read that fall into those categories were both late last year.
The Hunger Games trilogy, which was the equivalent of eating pretzels to me: got through the books fast but the writing fell really flat and left a salty aftertaste :p They were all right though.

I guess the main thing would be that the book should be exciting enough to hold my attention while I'm on the plane and keep me awake. :p But great prose would be a bonus as well. I'd definitely like to read a classic like 1984 or Brave New World, but I'm not sure which is the best to start with. :) Also had the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood recommended to me, would love to hear any thoughts on that book!

Thank you in advance!

This is short, but awesome and fits your description pretty well. Really liked it.

Genesis by Bernard Beckett

Haven't read these, but they sound like you might like them.

Island by Aldous Huxley

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin

Last one is YA and is probably on the same level as Hunger Games

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Inversive

2011-09-15-wayofshadows.jpg

Overall it was a really good read with characters I somewhat cared about, but towards the end the main character becomes really overpowered which I can't stand in any form of media. I probably won't pick up the second book in the trilogy but read something else by the author.

55398.jpg

So far each book in the series has been better than the previous one. I'm only 18% through this one, but it's a lot different than the first three books. I love how the series is unfolding and how many different threads are linking together. Erikson's imagination is incredible.

suzu

Chaos Walking trilogy, by Patrick Ness. The first book is "The Knife of Never Letting Go".

My suggestion is pretty "light". I don't read much young adult or dystopia, but this one held my attention.

I've been meaning to get into Stephenson for a while, but I just read the sample to Anathem, and I had no clue what the hell any of the characters were talking about. Should I still pick it up and give it a shot anyways?

It takes a while for the reader to pick up the lingo. Comparable to A Clockwork Orange at first; it settles down later. You can't really get a feel for the book from just the sample - it's a very large book.

Haven't read these, but they sound like you might like them.

Island is a philosophical novel and is neither dystopian nor sci-fi (the latter outside of a few minor elements). It's excellent, but it's not what they're asking for.

Oh, my mistake. Been on my to-read list for awhile and it's frequently grouped in with dystopian works.

Probably ebcause it is a response to dystopian novels. It's partially a counterpoint to Brave New World - inverting the aspects into positive ideas.

Top Bottom