• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Historical Fiction

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

9781593081232_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I just started (and will probably finish) Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad today. I'm not sold on the story so far but the man can write, really, really well.

I'm still about 1/2 way finished this. I haven't really read as of late, but plan to finish it this month.

facebook-broken-monsters-sa-.jpg

I also have these out from the library still, and plan to read them this winter/spring:

shining-girls-cover-lauren-beukes.jpg

20th-century-ghost.jpg

I'm reading two great books right now.

3DlNQ20.jpg

The GAF hype got to me. At 25% in, it's proving well deserved. This is clicking with me on every level and is giving me those early "masterpiece" vibes.

ByLlk0S.jpg

So yeah, this is better than the movie in every imaginable way, and I really like the movie. There is so much more to the characters of Jack and Danny Torrance than you would ever realize watching the Kubrick film. There's this slow build up of tension that is sublime.

Still working on The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco).

Just grabbed Stardust (Neil Gaiman) for $2.99 on Amazon (kindle deal), should still be up if that interests anyone.

I just started reading interview with an exorcist. Definitely recommended to those who have a passing interest in paranormal activity.
Interesting to read about how an experienced exorcist deals with those situations.

hythloday

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Enjoying it so far, but definitely not as much as I enjoyed the Stormlight Archive books.

Minor book backlog problems: I guess publishers change covers or editions of Kindle books, causing Amazon to re-list the book with a new URL. I keep seeing "Title no longer available" in my wish list which is a bummer. Once or twice I've been able to remember what it was and search and find the right book again, but sometimes I forget completely. Wish list is too long if I am forgetting titles, I suppose.

ShaneB

Just posting to sub at the moment, still deciding what to read next. Not sure what my mood is for at the moment.

Mimosa97

KINDLE

CVT_Magellan_1726.jpeg

Just finished it. I have to say i'm a bit disappointed. Zweig wrote some of the best biopics and this might be his weakest one. Still a good read though.

61tsmRbStXL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

9782213018133FS.gif

Vive l'Empereur !

Cyrus_Saren

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I first read the book when I was 9 or 10 (has it seriously been 17 years? Jesus...) so I felt it was time to go back and reread it. Not to mention, with seeing the first two movies, I want to get the pure experience and see just how badly they mangled the films.

I started one of the last few Jack Reacher books I have not read already. Bad Luck and Trouble is off to a more promising start than the last few I read and I'm looking forward to it. I'm ~110 pages into it, so a little less than 1/4th.

ByLlk0S.jpg

So yeah, this is better than the movie in every imaginable way, and I really like the movie. There is so much more to the characters of Jack and Danny Torrance than you would ever realize watching the Kubrick film. There's this slow build up of tension that is sublime.

The last time I tried to argue this on gaf I had about 15 people calling for my head.

I agree completely.

Finished revisiting Clive Barker's The Damnation Game a few days ago. I last read it back in high school, and it absolutely blew my mind. Thankfully it was every bit as great as I remembered it. There's a ton of grotesquely horrible things in it, but there's also a nice fantastic streak that signals the direction Barker would head with his subsequent novels.

Since I revisited an old favorite, I thought I'd explore a new author.

17571466.jpg

Just started this today. Solid and entertaining so far.

fakefaker

Barely started Serpents Rising by David A. Poulsen as I'm spending more time watching anime and being with my GF. So far so good tho.

19301069.jpg

I'm only about 25% into Words of Radiance and I've been reading it for more than a month. I'm enjoying it, but something about huge books always makes it harder for me to dig into them.

LProtag

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Enjoying it so far, but definitely not as much as I enjoyed the Stormlight Archive books.

This is the last major Cosmere novel I have left to read (besides the novella that came after this and the short stories he's written). Since I read all the other Cosmere novels in January I think I'm going to take a break before coming back to it...

I'm only about 25% into Words of Radiance and I've been reading it for more than a month. I'm enjoying it, but something about huge books always makes it harder for me to dig into them.

I tore through it in about 4 days thinking "oh, it's so big that it will last more for a while and I can just read as much as I want without worrying about the series being over for now". Maybe this will work for you? Haha.

VanWinkle

This is the last major Cosmere novel I have left to read (besides the novella that came after this and the short stories he's written). Since I read all the other Cosmere novels in January I think I'm going to take a break before coming back to it...

Nice. I still have Alloy of Law and Elantris. Well, and Emperor of Souls, which is shorter and set in the Elantris world.

After loving Mistborn so much, I'm excited to get into Alloy of Law, even though I've seen some negative opinions here.

My dad has a paperback copy of Elantris, so I'll probably read that soon since I don't have Alloy of Law yet.

ShaneB

Since I revisited an old favorite, I thought I'd explore a new author.

17571466.jpg

Just started this today. Solid and entertaining so far.

Remember seeing this a while ago and thinking it looked interesting, share what you think when finished please!

Necrovex

Decided to go on a non fiction kick for my next couple of books. Though it is better to say I am on Malcolm X kick. I am reading his autobiography and the Pultizer-winning biography on his life.

Cerity

mFH4A5z.jpg

A little more than halfway through, the writing is dense and a little difficult to get through completely, I find myself skipping passages every so often. Enjoyable and very keen to see what Havisham has planned.

Regiruler

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

My non-spoiler review so far (with chapter numbers spoilered out for the dedicated and spoilery comments in a full spoiler)

Chapter
:
ibqCp8MszJFyO.jpg

Chapter
:
Leave it to the illustration to spoil the chapter

Chapter
:
What a tease

Chapter
:

Chapter
:
You think he's about to pull a Rand? Psych!

Chapter
:
Chapter
:
LoveDodecahedron_1286.jpg

Replace love with revenge

Necrovex

I'll probably City of Stairs once I finish 1Q84. Sorry Mumei, I need a few books break from your fiction collection after tackling John Prester.

Madness

4kJRS8h.jpg

After seeing the movie recently, and then seeing the intense debates and controversy after, I had to get the book to see what the differences are, what the actual Chris Kyle said and felt etc.

Mumei

I'm pretty sure last month was the biggest topic we've had, or very close to it. How exciting.

I'll probably City of Stairs once I finish 1Q84. Sorry Mumei, I need a few books break from your fiction collection after tackling John Prester.

Prester John*

And no worries; I'm finished at least The Wheel of Time before reading the other book you wanted me to read.

Polari

On holiday for a couple of weeks from Friday and have been saving this one up:

KhIFsYG.jpg

His TV series are all really great, and the book comes highly recommended - not least of all by Louis Theroux. Should be good.

Cerity

A little more than halfway through, the writing is dense and a little difficult to get through completely, I find myself skipping passages every so often. Enjoyable and very keen to see what Havisham has planned.

So yeah, went from a little more than halfway through to finished in a few hours. The book really picks up in the second half. The holes start to get filled and it all comes together beautifully.

Easily one of the best books I've read in a long time and something I'll definitely be re-reading in the future.

Jag

YY3G2L3.jpg

Based on GAF recommendations. Like it so far. My Grandpa was born in the area and time this take place, so I find the setting interesting as well. I really like the comparisons of the Arab and Jewish cultures. So close and similar, yet so far away.

Glaurungr

Some of what I read in january:

Standouts were the two Eddas. Also liked Firefight and Brothers in Arms. Disliked Fortune's Pawn (awful romance and ending), The Divine Comedy (Inferno was interesting enough, but the rest wasn't for me), and The Invention of Murder.

Now reading:

ShaneB

Finished Ghost Brigades a couple of days ago and started with the Princess Bride.

21787.jpg

Was late to the party with Princess Bride as I mentioned when I read it, and read the book before watching the movie last year. Book is hilarious, moreso than the movie.

Still going with Story, very, very slowly.

And reading / researching Starship Troopers on the side. Honestly it's not exactly the most fluid thing ever written. You can tell its serial origins very well. The language is to the point though, so that's a good thing. But Zim is inconsistent as shit, the movie did far better on that. Like: no fucks given about trainees dying in boot camp, but still having 'camaraderie' in a Spartan squad? Really? I'm supposed to combine that with Liberty? (fuck yeah)

I'm just not sure what Heinlein was trying to do here. You can read it as Rico not giving a second thought about other people dying, or you can read undertones of people (civilian doctor) not wanting to talk about how the army is useless in a peaceful world, which also appears to send people to death "for science". How is anyone NOT to read "Dr. Mengele, please report to observation." in this thing? It's weird. He loves the army (read his wiki, and that of his wife, who was actually higher in rank than he was, yet the Federation in the novel is all male...), but he seems to fundamentally dislike why it (has to?) exists in relation to politics.

I suppose that is due to this being early work in an age where editors were still largely non-existent though. A modern editor would send it back with a note: "make a choice and stick with it", I imagine.

X-Frame

Some of what I read in january:

Standouts were the two Eddas. Also liked Firefight and Brothers in Arms. Disliked Fortune's Pawn (awful romance and ending), The Divine Comedy (Inferno was interesting enough, but the rest wasn't for me), and The Invention of Murder.

Unfortunately the romance in the Fortune's Pawn series gets worse with the final 2 books. I thought the 1st book was actually the best of the 3.

KidDork

Coming to the end of Memories of Ice. I've read it before, and my copy will not survive another re-read. Love this book.

LProtag

I forgot how quickly most books go by when they're not giant 1000 page fantasy novels. I wonder what it is about fantasy that lends itself to such long books. Worldbuilding and the heavy dependance on structured plotlines is my guess.

Piecake

I forgot how quickly most books go by when they're not giant 1000 page fantasy novels. I wonder what it is about fantasy that lends itself to such long books. Worldbuilding and the heavy dependance on structured plotlines is my guess.

my guess is a desire of most fantasy authors to create something epic, and epic=long. Plus, long fantasy books and long series seem to have become standard and expected.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished a re-read of Peter S Beagle's The Folk of the Air

"I will miss it so," she said beside him. "This hell of a place, I will miss it so much. This fat body, walking mud puddle, deceived by everything, this impossible, ruinous accident of a world, these people who would truly rather hurt one another than eat—oh, there is nothing, nothing, nothing I would not do to stay here ten minutes longer. Oh, I will leave clawmarks, I will drag mountains and forests away under my fingernails when I am dragged off. Such a stupid way to feel. I will be all dirty from clutching at this stupid planet, and the gods will laugh at me."

Probably my second favorite book of his, behind The Last Unicorn and so very different from it. He's supposed to be working on a new version of it, which will be interesting to see. If it ever surfaces.

I think at some point it became The Thing To Do, for whatever reason.

Top Bottom