• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

VanWinkle

Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Beautiful book.

Also I'm realizing that I rate all of the books I read very highly. I'm not sure if I'm not a very critical person when it comes to enjoyment of books (which is weird because I feel like I'm a critical person) or if I really just mostly love everything I read.

Debating between A Canticle for Leibowitz or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell next.

Well, I mean, you're reading pretty highly-rated books, so you're just exhibiting the same opinion most others are.

fakefaker

Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Beautiful book.

Also I'm realizing that I rate all of the books I read very highly. I'm not sure if I'm not a very critical person when it comes to enjoyment of books (which is weird because I feel like I'm a critical person) or if I really just mostly love everything I read.

Debating between A Canticle for Leibowitz or Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell next.

Mr. Strange would like a word with you.

LProtag

Well, I mean, you're reading pretty highly-rated books, so you're just exhibiting the same opinion most others are.

True. I feel like I should be a little more picky when it comes to five star ratings though.

Mr. Strange would like a word with you.

I'm tempted to start reading it, but the book is so big and unwieldy looking and I always bring a book to work since as a substitute teacher I find myself with a lot of time sitting there doing nothing besides watching kids work. I should have bought it for my kindle, haha.

I'm tempted to start reading it, but the book is so big and unwieldy looking and I always bring a book to work since as a substitute teacher I find myself with a lot of time sitting there doing nothing besides watching kids work. I should have bought it for my kindle, haha.

Naw. Read it in front of them and impress the hell out of them.

Regiruler

Finished Words of Radiance. Still not a tremendous fan of Shallan (
although the concept art for Veil did admittedly draw me in a bit
) although that climax
Szeth vs Kaladin
fight was something else.

I had thought Shallan's sword was a normal blade and was waiting for the backstory to explain its origin, when it only dawned on me that it was when Syl herself became Kaladin's sword.
Was I stupid to think this and unable to read correctly or was it not just me?

LProtag

Naw. Read it in front of them and impress the hell out of them.

This doesn't work at all, unfortunately.

I had thought Shallan's sword was a normal blade and was waiting for the backstory to explain its origin, when it only dawned on me that it was when Syl herself became Kaladin's sword.
Was I stupid to think this and unable to read correctly or was it not just me?

No.

Since the first book I was like "Oh, Shallan has a shardblade, I wonder when we'll find out how she got it." Then when she was able to summon it and seemed pretty normal despite doing so after we discovered that people who've bonded with sprens hear screaming I was a little suspicious. Sanderson played it off really well by having Kaladin use it when his bond was broken. I figured there was something special going on but couldn't put it together until you mentioned.

Bradach

Thanks OP!

you helped me pick my next book. "The Road". I'm 10% in and its great. Just the right amount of dark and miserable for me :)

Donos

Thanks OP!

you helped me pick my next book. "The Road". I'm 10% in and its great. Just the right amount of dark and miserable for me :)

The movie already had a pretty bleak and depressed vibe, i don't want to know how strong it is while reading the book.

moojito

Just about finished Tower lord, the next book in the Raven's shadow series. I had put off reading it for a while, as on goodreads a lot of the reviews were saying it was nothing like the first book, Blood song. I wish I hadn't paid any attention to them as I've found it every bit as good. Right up there with the name of the wind and stormlight archive books for me.

%7BE39B0379-ED5B-47DE-B96E-A300DB98C25C%7DImg400.jpg

I still have Shogun on the go on my kindle, as well. I'm still making my way through it, but it can get a little heavy at times with all the bowing and "wakarimasu ka?" and so on.

ShaneB

Me too, I haven't watched to movie yet but I love the book. Way funnier than I anticipated.

I knew it was funny just from what I knew of the movie before evening seeing it, but I did not expect the book to be so hilarious.

Settled on reading this next, seems like it will be a fun read. A broadcasting legend, have always loved his calls on any sporting event, great personality. And certainly after that Super Bowl it seems like perfect timing.

You Can't Make This Up: Miracles, Memories, and the Perfect Marriage of Sports and Television by Al Michaels, L. Jon Wertheim
20958256.jpg

LProtag

heu84hv.jpg

Okay, I decided to read it and I got about 60 pages in today so far. Really interesting premise and I really like the academic form it takes with all the footnotes. I'm intrigued and wonder where it'll go from here.

Okay, I decided to read it and I got about 60 pages in today so far. Really interesting premise and I really like the academic form it takes with all the footnotes. I'm intrigued and wonder where it'll go from here.

I have it on hold from the library. I'll be joining you after I finish reading City of Stairs.

Regiruler

This doesn't work at all, unfortunately.

No.

Since the first book I was like "Oh, Shallan has a shardblade, I wonder when we'll find out how she got it." Then when she was able to summon it and seemed pretty normal despite doing so after we discovered that people who've bonded with sprens hear screaming I was a little suspicious. Sanderson played it off really well by having Kaladin use it when his bond was broken. I figured there was something special going on but couldn't put it together until you mentioned.
When was it mentioned in the first book? I REALLY must have not been paying attention.

Glaurungr

I have it on hold from the library. I'll be joining you after I finish reading City of Stairs.

I think I'll start this or City of Stairs after I finish The Goblin Emperor, which I started after reading so many good things about it here. My to-read list is getting bigger every time I check this thread.

Woorloog

Banned
When was it mentioned in the first book? I REALLY must have not been paying attention.

It was not mentioned directly. However, if you notice what happens when one summons a Shardblade, and if you notice what Shallan thinks when she's in dangers...You're not the only one to miss this. I missed it, and there are some who asked for confirmation from Sanderson since they weren't sure.

obin_gam

Finished Moby-Dick; or The Whale today. It was one of the greatest books I've read in my entire life. Only thing I actually didnt like was the ending, which feels kinda anti-climactic. I loved all the chapters explaining the whaling industry and everything else around the setting, and found the story of the mad Ahab chasing the whale the least exciting.

Now off to Ringworld. A couple of chapters in and I already adore Nessus. He's so cute ^_^

LProtag

She makes a few references to ten heartbeats. There's a moment when she's in danger and she reaches out her hand and thinks about counting out ten heartbeats, that's the scene that made me go "huh". It wasn't stated outright or anything.

VanWinkle

There was a really cool line from early on in Way of Kings that seems so obvious what its referring to now but was so early that we just brushed by it so early in to the book.

I'll have to look it up after work.

Edit: here it is:

"As always, thinking of her father made her feel ill, and the pain started to constrict her chest. She raised her freehand to her head, suddenly overwhelmed by the weight of House Davar’s situation, her part in it, and the secret she now carried, hidden ten heartbeats away."

KidDork

I finished all 3 books in this trilogy:

A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

It was YA and had some tropes, but it also busted out of others. I would have liked more backstory on the main character as the trilogy went along, but thought it still finished tidily.

Is it anything like the Gail Carriger books? I thought those were fun.

All this talk of Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell makes me want to re-read it again. Now there's a book you can crawl into and never leave. I visited York after reading it the first time and spent a lot of time staring at the cathedral there.

Is it anything like the Gail Carriger books? I thought those were fun.

The same Victorian setting minus the paranormal stuff. I thought the main characters were a little better in The Agency books because they're a little more modern with their thinking. If you liked Gail Carriger books, I recommend these.

Mumei

Oh, I looked it up, so no worries :)

Oh. Well, that's good!

Anyway, I think you're selling it short. You should at least read that link I posted before; unfortunately it doesn't have every page of the chapter but it's enough to give you the gist of it. It's strongly character-focused, even if it's hidden under the denseness of the prose and the bizarre setting.

Or read Peace.

The same Victorian setting minus the paranormal stuff. I thought the main characters were a little better in The Agency books because they're a little more modern with their thinking. If you liked Gail Carriger books, I recommend these.

I enjoyed the first two of the Gail Carriger novels, but I wasn't sure I liked the direction it seemed to be going after the third. I've thought about continuing it but I haven't had the itch yet.

VanWinkle

Just about finished Tower lord, the next book in the Raven's shadow series. I had put off reading it for a while, as on goodreads a lot of the reviews were saying it was nothing like the first book, Blood song. I wish I hadn't paid any attention to them as I've found it every bit as good. Right up there with the name of the wind and stormlight archive books for me.

Sounds cool. Checked out the description, the reviews, and your opinion, and I might have to get the first book.

heu84hv.jpg

This looks quite interesting. I just read a sample of it and it seems like something I would like a lot, but, for some reason, I find my reading pace on it really slow compared to normal. Not sure why.

Piecake

Sounds cool. Checked out the description, the reviews, and your opinion, and I might have to get the first book.

The first book is fantastic. I thought the second book was very good, but not as good as the first. So yea, I think the general consensus is first book great, second book - opinions vary widely.

Piecake

It's a little slow going at the beginning, but it's starting to get very interesting.

I really should give that another shot. I gave up after about 50-75 pages because it was doing very little for me, but that is about the time I have heard that it starts to become amazing.

Mumei

Piecake: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is quite slow for awhile, honestly. But remember: All good things to those who wait!

This looks quite interesting. I just read a sample of it and it seems like something I would like a lot, but, for some reason, I find my reading pace on it really slow compared to normal. Not sure why.

It's probably just the fact that it's something of an Victorian pastiche, and the prose reflects this. Just based on what I've seen you talk about reading in here, the prose is probably different enough that you're slowing down a bit to adjust while you get used to it.

Woorloog

Banned
Yes, we had this conversation two weeks ago and you said this was good.

I'm dubious.

Ah, it was you. I remembered writing about the Commonwealth but that's all i remembered.

I still think it is good... but i am a big fan of Hamilton, i like pretty much everything he has written, except the Great North Road (and even that's good enough i've read it twice, just pales in comparison to his other works).

The Void Trilogy is somewhat slow and sprawling, perhaps the slowest of Hamilton's books. At least in the beginning.

I liked the first three.

Three? It is a duology. Unless you count the Misspent Youth (now that's a bit meh book by Hamilton as well). Or was that some edition that was split in three...?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Really regret not buying the Dresden series when it was on sale black Friday. Dying to read em
Guess ill wait till november

eznark

Banned
Ah, it was you. I remembered writing about the Commonwealth but that's all i remembered.

I still think it is good... but i am a big fan of Hamilton, i like pretty much everything he has written, except the Great North Road (and even that's good enough i've read it twice, just pales in comparison to his other works).

The Void Trilogy is somewhat slow and sprawling, perhaps the slowest of Hamilton's books. At least in the beginning.

Three? It is a duology. Unless you count the Misspent Youth (now that's a bit meh book by Hamilton as well). Or was that some edition that was split in three...?

Oh yeah, two.

Piecake

Piecake: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is quite slow for awhile, honestly. But remember: All good things to those who wait!

Hah, I seem to be getting more impatient with what I read as I get older. I remember I read a lot more 'complicated literature' when I was younger. Now, a lot of my fiction is fantasy and I get my thought provoking reading from history.

That is probably one of the reasons why I dropped Book of the New Sun because it wasnt doing anything for me and I couldn't be bothered to try to figure out this confusing mess (also why I never liked Joyce or Pynchon).

I will likely give Strange another shot though since it seems like a book I would enjoy after I get past the slow beginning. I would have stuck with it if I connected with the characters, but even they werent doing anything for me then.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh yeah, two.

BTW, what exactly is your issue with The Dreaming Void?

I do remember finding it a bit odd when i first read it but i'm inclined to believe that is Hamilton's intention.
Heck, the whole trilogy seems to have some kind of meta-themes.. or perhaps theme's about meta-[something, can't figure out the word i'm looking for].
Not a real spoiler but still tagged just in-case:
Inigo's Dreams, Edeard's story... it is more or less the classic Hero's Journey with some tweaks. And the humans built a religion around it. How odd EDIT No, wait, it is not that odd.

LProtag

It's probably just the fact that it's something of an Victorian pastiche, and the prose reflects this. Just based on what I've seen you talk about reading in here, the prose is probably different enough that you're slowing down a bit to adjust while you get used to it.

It's kind of funny that I'm enjoying the book and the prose so much, considering I completely skipped out on studying Victorian literature during my undergrad because I'm not a fan.

VanWinkle

Yeah, that makes sense. I really liked what I read, though, so I think I'll buy it to read after I get through a little of my backlog.

It's a little slow going at the beginning, but it's starting to get very interesting.

It definitely takes its time getting started, but the plot becomes so intricate and rewarding, and the language and writing are so damn good.

Hah, I seem to be getting more impatient with what I read as I get older. I remember I read a lot more 'complicated literature' when I was younger. Now, a lot of my fiction is fantasy and I get my thought provoking reading from history.

As JS & MN goes on, there are some cool historical and literary connections that you may find interesting!

I still have Shogun on the go on my kindle, as well. I'm still making my way through it, but it can get a little heavy at times with all the bowing and "wakarimasu ka?" and so on.

Reading this is a relief. I love the first book and will start the second soon. I think people were just upset/disapoited with the new PoVs. You cheared my day :)

Li Kao

Ok, so I wanted to read Cycle of the Werewolf by King and plans changed. Didn't find the book and had to choose another one. A difficult task as I was both interested in this particular book and its size was perfect to continue fighting the battle against reading OCD. Battle whose outcome looks good.

So I finally started...
mINonso.jpg

Hated it at first. I had trouble getting the feel of the book, the down on his luck portrayal of the main protagonist was too generic and when the weird began to happen, it was too much at once, felt artificial.
Then before taking more drastic measures I said fuck it and abandoned control to the author. Let's see where you want to lead us without me stalling.
Good idea, as as time and pages passed, I began to get more engaged with the protagonists, they began to be developed enough for them to grow on me. And it was quite funny too.

I see where people on Goodread come from when trashing the book for seemingly being a simple catalog of trashy internet culture, but I don't care. For the time being I'm seduced. It is admittedly a let down to see such a marvelous comic writer starting his prose output with something that won't approach his best work, but if the book continues like that, I think that at the end of the day it could have been a lot worse. It's no Planetary, but what were the odds...
I'm not blown away but so far I'm interested, I chuckle a lot and I like the characters. That will largely suffice.

The third Wayward Pines book was so painfully boring and just pointless. Almost half the book could have been skipped.

Well, on to something new.

Top Bottom