• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2015)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How is the way it dates itself different from the way that a period story dates itself?

A period piece (or any fiction set in the past) explores a certain time period socially, culturally, politically or however the writer desires, in the course of its story. Regardless of when you read it, you're learning something substantial about the time in which the book was set.

Ready Player One is a dystopian near future story whose running theme is nostalgia over the 80s. It's not actually set in the 80s, nor does it explore the 80s in any meaningful way beyond the most superficial pop culture aspects of it. If you, as a reader, have no personal connection to the 80s and 90s, Ready Player One becomes an average adventure story about a guy playing a video game. Unless you're specifically interested in that nostalgia element for that exact time period relative to the 2000s and 2010s, there's really nothing to set Ready Player One apart from Log Horizon.

At least Log Horizon is a story about MMO culture, which can be of interest to young adults in the future. Ready Player One doesn't even have that. Its understanding of MMO design and gameplay is... tenuous at best.

Although I guess it could be unintentionally hilarious in the coming years:
1MedqMIl.jpg

Bazza

68520.jpg

Just finished this, It was OK. The first half of the book I found hard to get into, the second half was great. I am looking forward to the next books but I need to break up the realistic setting with some scifi so back to the Revelation Space series.

89184.jpg

leakey

51vPOY4y08L.jpg

Pretty insightful so far as to how a lot of the feelings folks have about the internet today were mirrored back when the telegraph was hot shit.

Xeroblade

I think it's mainly that it's not especially well written and relies on a constant nostalgia drip-feed to cover that up and keep readers interested.

See I don't know what it means to be "well written" I am a book novice. I know there were a lot of nostalgia moments but I didn't think they were that nostalgic to me. Like I said I am a novice when it comes to book reading, so I guess I am going to enjoy those dumb books lol.

Haly

... You say that as if that isn't unintentionally hilarious now.

I think my reaction at the time was facepalming, and it's only now that I find it hilarious.

(faceplams internally)

survivor

Banned
It's going to be really difficult for young adults 20 years in the future to enjoy Ready Player One. The book literally dates itself, and not in the same way, for example, that a period story dates itself.
Don't worry, Ernest Cline will just write a new version with updated pop culture references. One where Sheldon is the hero of the MMO players and everyone is living in Minecraft themed worlds.

Haly

This is an approach to book writing I haven't considered.

I'm now looking forward to Ready Player Two with Minecraft and League of Legends.

And Black/Blue vs White/Gold.

I think it's mainly that it's not especially well written and relies on a constant nostalgia drip-feed to cover that up and keep readers interested.

This. Book is absolute hogwash. It's just a nonsensical parade of references to things that we once loved, wrapped up in the most basic literary structure in the world - and it can't even get that right.

It's a pitch for a film turned into a novel in the most cynical way.

IN MY OPINION etc.

(But then: I absolutely hated The Martian as well, so what do I know?)

Haly

It's a pitch for a film turned into a novel in the most cynical way.

No way.

Leviathan Wakes is the real film pitch turned novel.

Even if I have a lot of gripes with Ready Player One, I still feel that it was a labor of love. Not a very sophisticated love, but it's there. Ernest Cline comes off as a genuinely excited kid through his prose.

Leviathan Wakes (and all of The Expanse, really) is a by-the-numbers sci-fi action summer blockbuster. So it's ironic, and I guess a bit sad, that it's getting a lackluster SyFy adaptation.

Cade

Mumei, how is that Tim Hanley WW book? I wanted to read it because Wonder Woman's creation is fascinating to me, but if it's just the same basic facts I'll skip it

Stasis

Think that was me -- and yep I am reading it too and about 25% in and enjoying it a lot! This type of book was exactly what I've been looking for.

It starts out similar to "Fortune's Pawn" but better in every way I'd say.

Guess I should get "Fortune's Pawn" next, even if its not as good =)

Mumei

I don't read the Comics thread, I just post to antagonize Messi. Thanks though, I didn't catch those posts. Read through em and feel like I should give the book a cursory read, at least. I like WW a lot.

You say this like it differentiates you from the average ComicsGAF poster.

Piecake

The Search for Modern China was excellent, and I have The People's Republic of Amnesia: Tiananmen Revisited out from the library now because that edition of The Search for Modern China ends around the time of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I'll also have to check out that list of books Piecake made for me again!

Glad You liked it! If there is any specific area that you found especially interesting, let me know and I'll try to come up with some recommendations. I can't really help you with any books on 1990+ China though.

I just finished up this book. It was good, but probably the weakest of the Oxford history series that I have read. I felt that the overall theme of the book - grand expectations - was somewhat weak, and that it didn't have a great deal of focus. Of course, this might just be a result of the period.

I am currently listening to this and it is quite interesting. This is one of the reviews on the Great Courses website that I find pretty hilarious

" I am 3/4 the way through this course and it is one of the worst courses I have taken here. It is extremely basic, more at the high-school level then college. Maybe because I have been well trained in critical thinking having both a Masters in Electrical Engineering and an MBA, so my expectations may be too high, but there is very little critical thinking skills being taught in this class. He just goes through a litany of examples of what are not examples of critical thinking, but there is no follow-up on how to be a critical thinker. He also has some personal bias. For example, he implied chiropractic is a farce, which of course is not true, many, many people are helped by chiropractic. He also presents the material in a very boring monotone manner. Nothing at all creative about his teaching method. Really awful. –Unless there is some miracle in the last ¼ of the course, I am sending this one back. "

LOL. I guess you can't help people learn if they are already convinced that they know it (even though they don't)

Oh, and you lovers of Cosmicomics might want to check out Hav. I didnt like it (didnt like Cosmicomics either), but it is basically a travelogue of a made-up city with some other stuff going on. I quit about 30 pages in since I could tell it wasnt for me.

Haly

Seconds:

Finished this in one go on the train. Thought it was better than Scott Pilgrim, until the ending. I was disappointed that Katie simply talked her way out of a total existential failure. The book needed maybe another volume because there is no way Katie earned that happy ending after royally fucking up multiple timelines.

At least Bryan took the criticisms of Scott Pilgrim to heart and toned down the hipster culture.

jesu

The Witcher book, The Last Wish.
It's a collection of short stories about Geralt for The Witcher games which are based on the books.
It's surprisingly good.

200px-Andrzej_Sapkowski_-_The_Last_Wish.jpg

LProtag

Damn, only 5 books read this month compared to 10 last month.

It's still a great pace I guess, but I feel like I should pick it up again. Foucault's Pendulum really slowed me down along with being much busier at work and Monster Hunter coming out...

Nymerio

Finished Ancillary Sword earlier today. Loved it just as much as the previous book and can't wait to get my hands on the third. Should release 2015, right?

VanWinkle

I've been moving and stuff so it took me forever to read the third Mistborn book. I was stuck at the halfway point for like three weeks. But I finished the last half over two days and it was so incredible. I just want to think about it for a little while before going on to something else.

Mr.Swag

Banned
166997.jpg

Because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on gaf that hasn't read this book.
I should be receiving it from amazon in a couple days.

So how many books have received this GAF treatment?
Off top of my head:
The Martian
Southern Reach Trilogy
Ancillary Justice
Stoner

Off top of my head:
The Martian
Southern Reach Trilogy
Ancillary Justice
Stoner
Not counting book club books, Wool was the hot fire two or three years ago. The Long Ships I think could be included at one point. 11/23/63 and Under the Dome at one point. That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Piecake

Yea I keep seeing that one. Looks cool, but I'm not much into fantasy

Well, the construction of the book is not typical fantasy. I would describe it as formulated more as a mystery novel in a fantasy setting where the investigation reveals more about the characters, history of the world, and the interactions between cultures, etc. It really is one of the best novels that I have read, and while I love fantasy I don't have a whole lot of fantasy series on that list.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Well, the construction of the book is not typical fantasy. I would describe it as formulated more as a mystery novel in a fantasy setting where the investigation reveals more about the characters, history of the world, and the interactions between cultures, etc. It really is one of the best novels that I have read, and while I love fantasy I don't have a whole lot of fantasy series on that list.
Well you just kinda sold me on it

And it goes on my list

Stasis

Finished Ancillary Sword earlier today. Loved it just as much as the previous book and can't wait to get my hands on the third. Should release 2015, right?

Thats next up for me, Justice was great.

Then I really need to go back to vorkosigan! I keep getting sidetracked. Read the first Dresden, not bad but nothing amazing. I dont feel drawn into it. I'll read one from time to time.

Edit: City of stairs was a good read. Worth it imo.

Off top of my head:
The Martian
Southern Reach Trilogy
Ancillary Justice
Stoner

Except for Ancillary Justice I've read all of them. Stoner is probably the best book I found through GAF. Great recs all round, and I do need check out Ancillary sometime.

Nymerio

I'm pushing for The Goblin Emperor but it hasn't happened yet. :(

I already have this in my queue because I kept scrolling past that cover with the crown.

Thats next up for me, Justice was great.

Then I really need to go back to vorkosigan! I keep getting sidetracked. Read the first Dresden, not bad but nothing amazing. I dont feel drawn into it. I'll read one from time to time.

Edit: City of stairs was a good read. Worth it imo.

Vorkosigan is another thing that keeps popping up and I'll probably look into it in the future.

Not counting book club books, Wool was the hot fire two or three years ago. The Long Ships I think could be included at one point. 11/23/63 and Under the Dome at one point. That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

The Long Ships is another good one, read it after everyone else here seemed to read it. Pretty sure wool was the same.

Off top of my head:
The Martian
Southern Reach Trilogy
Ancillary Justice
Stoner

Man, The Martian. That's another one I keep seeing here and I've already added to my to-read shelve.

I don't know if I want to continue reading Broken Monsters. It's a weird book, and I haven't really become immersed in it. So far, I'm 150+ pages in, but haven't touched it in over a month.

I still have her other book, Shining Girls, as well as 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill which interests me more. Also holding Ready, Player One at the library.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I don't know if I want to continue reading Broken Monsters. It's a weird book, and I haven't really become immersed in it. So far, I'm 150+ pages in, but haven't touched it in over a month.

I still have her other book, Shining Girls, as well as 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill which interests me more. Also holding Ready, Player One at the library.
I'm on Broken Monsters as well.
At around the 200 page mark things get a little more interesting.
But at the end of the day its still a 3/5 star novel

I'm on Broken Monsters as well.
At around the 200 page mark things get a little more interesting.
But at the end of the day its still a 3/5 star novel

I think I'll just return it and Shining Girls. They're both just getting covered in cat hair, since my one cat practically lives in my room.

Piecake

Finished Firefight. Good, clean fun. As with a lot of Sanderson's works, a lot of the fun is in the worldbuilding and getting to see the characters start to figure out some of the mysteries about the world. I do have to complain about two things: one, that the big bad, Regalia,
had an incredibly obvious goal that was apparent by midway to 2/3rds through the book, and it was frustrating that it never occurred to the characters, including the supposedly very intelligent Prof and Tia
. And two, that it retroactively hurts the first book in that
Steelheart's weakness is now totally paradoxical. Epic weaknesses are based on what they're afraid of. Stealheart's weakness was anyone who wasn't afraid of him. But he killed himself, which means he wasn't afraid of himself, which means he was afraid of himself. Argh!
This was already at least a little bit of a reach in the first book, but I could let it pass. Now, though. Eh.

Sparks!

Piecake

Oh yeah, that too. Sanderson needs a little more Scott Lynch in his writing. :p

I really think I am done with this series. I think Sanderson is great, but the characters and dialogue in this one do little for me. A good deal of it actually annoys me.

VanWinkle

I really think I am done with this series. I think Sanderson is great, but the characters and dialogue in this one do little for me. A good deal of it actually annoys me.

I'm fine with made-up cursing (I know you aren't in any capacity at all) if it's not too cheesy. I actually like it in Mistborn and Stormlight Archives, since it's used in a partial capacity and fits the world (mostly centered around "deities"), and but I do have to agree on Steelheart/Fireflight. I just really don't like "sparks."

Top Bottom