• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Kanheman along with a bunch of blogs/articles/reports on open market operations and textbooks on circuit and signal analysis for revision. Will make return to The House of Mirth (which I've put on hold for far too long) hopefully in the next two weeks.

Mike M

Nick N
nemesis-games-by-james-sa-corey-cover-art-493x750.jpg
Corey_BabylonsAshes_HC.jpg
Blew through the rest of The Expanse novels in my backlog (Fun note: The cover to Nemesis Games cover has terrible contrast on Kindle e-paper and renders the title practically unreadable). While I suppose variety is nice and all, I wasn't really a huge fan of how the overarching mystery of the protomolecule's creators was almost entirely sidelined for the duration of both books in exchange for intrasystem conflict. Overall it wasn't awful, but it was definitely more of the same from all the cast. I also found the addition of
Clarissa Mao
to the crew to be incredibly hard to swallow, and their redemption is nearly completely unearned.

Kinda feel like the series peaked with Leviathan Wakes.

Eklesp

Kinda feel like the series peaked with Leviathan Wakes.

I finished Nemesis a couple of weeks ago and felt like it was just Ok. Not sure how I feel about starting Babylon. Many reviews I have read feel like it is worse than Nemesis. I too miss more of the alien side of things and don't care much about the politics at this point. Sort of feels like I am pushing forward because of the show now.

Finished Gone Girl today. It was a pretty quick read and moved along quickly. Really disappointed with the ending though. I am not sure what I was expecting but it wasn't
for them to live in a fake marriage together and nothing to be resolved in all the craziness she did.

Thinking next one of these.

The only other Murakami book I have read is Windup Bird Chronicles. Which I thought was pretty interesting.

Ms. Marvel Super Famous.

Left off from Last Days a while ago and was on that cliffhanger. Started reading this today and I still feel like I've lost info.
What happened with that rift in NYC? That's what was ending point of Last Days and it looks like they already resolved it, but I want to know what happened!

Read a few pages back, so I'm just kinda catching up here.

After January I decided that I needed something a little uplifting.

It's a fantastic book -- my favourite, actually. While it's not a "fun" read, I find it fascinating and a really forward-thinking novel that remains relevant. It's amazing how Orwell was able to predict a state like North Korea, and it's kinda scary how there are shades of Trump now with the whole "fake news" and "alternative facts" shtick. I hope he never gains any semblance of control of the Fourth and Fifth Estates. After all, "Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future."

Question for book gaf. I'm the type of person that likes to read 1-2 book chapters a day. I'm a big fan of Forgotten Realms books but now that the novels have pretty much come to an end I'm looking for new stuff to read. I read history books as well but I want to focus on forgotten Realms type books for this question since now that there dead I need a replacement series.

I'm wondering if there is another series that has the same type of lore and world building.
They might be a little on the nose in terms of fantasy novels, but I honestly enjoy the Warcraft books. In fact, I just finished reading Stormrage today.

While I really enjoyed it, I'd actually recommend Warcraft: Day of the Dragon as introductory book to the universe. It was my first. I also hear the War of the Ancients trilogy is good and takes place early in the lore, but I haven't read it myself.
Moving on to The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick DeWitt. Hired guns in Gold Rush era America? Sounds great, I'm in.

Love this book. I was cheering for my fellow Canadian when DeWitt was on the shortlist for a Booker Prize for this novel a couple years back.

50 pages in (my old English teacher's metric for getting into a book) and I am loving Kafka on the Shore.

I have a feeling that this is a book I shouldn't try too hard to understand, and just allow myself to get swept away, right?

I think I may need much more Murakami soon.

I loved this book so much. I powered through it fairly quickly last summer. Just be aware that there are some... unpleasant parts in it. Fairly minor spoilers:
there's some very graphic abuse of cats

Still, it's another Murakami classic, in my mind. I really want to visit a library like one in the novel one day.
Fantastic book. The third act is some of the most devastating stuff I've ever read.
I know, I was literally tearing up while reading it at a cafe. Again, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's up for something sad yet powerful.

Are graphic novels allowed? I'm a member of a graphic novel of the month club and I'd be happy to share what I am reading.

Sure! I actually just finished Bad Island by Doug TenNapel, the creator of Earthworm Jim.

The art is predictably great, but the actually plot itself was pretty bland. I enjoyed what little of the back story there was as to what was behind the mysterious forces on the island, but once it's revealed the book ends fairly quickly. I found the lore behind the island more fascinating than the family's ordeal, so I was disappointed that I didn't get more of it.

However, I found it used for $5 at a thrift store, and it was worth that for the art alone.

My high school drama club put on a production of Flowers for Algernon my senior year. I haven't read the book, and I'm sure our stage version didn't do it justice, but the story will always be special for me. I played Professor Nemur, while the girl who would eventually become my wife played Dr. Strauss. I've got so many good memories from that show...

Anyway, I should probably read the book sometime!
You definitely should! I wish a recording of this performance remained though, although you probably don't, lol.

Mr.Towel

Ms. Marvel Super Famous.

Left off from Last Days a while ago and was on that cliffhanger. Started reading this today and I still feel like I've lost info.
What happened with that rift in NYC? That's what was ending point of Last Days and it looks like they already resolved it, but I want to know what happened!

Last Days was a tie in to the beginning of Secret Wars, a separate marvel event.

ATF487

Finally finished Blood Meridian. Loved it. Only qualm was that it sometimes beat you senseless with the brutality

Not sure what's next, need to branch out into some new authors!

Kindle versions of Dune and The Man in the High Castle are on sale today. Dune = $3.99; The Man in the High Caste = $1.99.

EDIT: Thanks to kuiperbeltloop on reddit I'm seeing the following is also on sale ..

What If? Serious Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions - $2.99 <-- this book is great, I highly recommend it
Bossypants - $2.99
Freakonomics - $1.99
The Life of Pi - $1.99

Just finished reading these two books:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

American_gods.jpg

I fell in love with Gaiman two months ago, when I read Coraline, so I instantly bought Sandman and started reading this book. I think that the best part of American Gods is the beginning: you can feel this big premise, you're instantly fascinated by Shadow and all these strange characters. Then the book reveals itself as an on-the-road acid trip mixed with action, and just screams "who cares", wich is still a very good thing.
In the end I liked it a lot, there is indeed a clear message about faith in this, I just didn't love some of the characters and events near the end.

The Disaster Artist - Greg Sestero & Tom Bissel

disaster_artist.png

Ok this book right here is the reason why I love reading. I wasn't sure about what to expect, I mean, I too had my "The Room" meme period but then I grew tired of it.
Lately, I kept reading about how good this book was, and saw that James Franco was going to do a movie about it, so I bought it. In english (not my first language)
Well, I couldn't stop reading it: The Disaster Artist is funny, weird, sad, happy. There is something about the interactions between Greg and Tommy, a strange sexual-psycho (yet cute) tension, wich is really unique. The Disaster Artist is, most importantly, a well written book and I'm sure I will read it again and again. Fantastic.

Kindle versions of Dune and The Man in the High Castle are on sale today. Dune = $3.99; The Man in the High Caste = $1.99.

EDIT: Thanks to kuiperbeltloop on reddit I'm seeing the following is also on sale ..

What If? Serious Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions - $2.99 <-- this book is great, I highly recommend it
Bossypants - $2.99
Freakonomics - $1.99
The Life of Pi - $1.99
Thanks for the heads up

Killua

Bossypants - $2.99
Freakonomics - $1.99
The Life of Pi - $1.99

Nice looking out.
Here's a list of all the 80% off books on amazon.

Cuckoo's Calling is on there for $3.99 for any JK Rowling fans.

Edit: just posted Cuckoo's Calling link. Here's a list to all the books on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acsd_hps_ft_clnk_r?node=6165851011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=CK8CQAVGZSW5JFZ91KK9&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=2651407162&pf_rd_i=1000677541

Wensih

I finished It Can't Happen Here about a week ago. It will be hard to talk about this without drawing parallels to current affairs, so I'll just draw those parallels openly instead of skirting the topic. Hell, it's why the book has skyrocketed to the top of the Amazon's bestseller list. I thought the first 100 pages of the book were a striking parallel to the political situation of today and the decision to make the protagonist an edititor-in-chief to a newspaper gives added importance to what should be most valued in democracy and gives clear warning signs of democracy's downfall when that profession is threatened, but I also thought that once passing the inauguration threshold the book veered expediently towards satirical extremism. While Trump has signed many destructive EOs and is warring with the press in his first few weeks, he has met resistance within the government and from the public, civilians opposing him haven't been mowed down with machine guns by a private army, and political rivals have not been jailed. In the book, there is little resistance in the rise of a totalitarian government, in part due to the sheer number of people who support Windrip, that I think is somewhat farcical given the ease of access to firearms in our society.

I think the treachery of today is more insidious than what is depicted and predicted in the book. It's a treachery that doesn't start to boil over immediately, and so I think the book does a disservice in this regard.

I'm currently continuing the political trend by reading I, Claudius. I'm about 1/4 of the way through.

fakefaker

Had a good marathon session with last night and finished Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. It was a little predictable and a too abrupt ending, but otherwise I really liked it. Now to do some roadtrippin' with Remy's Dilemma by Andrew Snook.

N_lCmGbN3iXeR_43zHq6qPewZHKBrPY-zxq3j1UCyIDUgC3x6RAMQgfClhCU7G67HURCkqET3CWS0iw8xrx8gV2jDYbfMcRrgdWKCQ

thomaser

Finished Gregory David Roberts' "Shantaram". A damned good yarn that could have used a stricter editor.

Now, starting another one of those classics that I have owned for years and years but not yet read: "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" by James Joyce.

Shoeless

Bossypants - $2.99
Freakonomics - $1.99
The Life of Pi - $1.99

Nice find. I've read Dune a few times over the years, but never actually owned a copy. I do now thanks to this tip.

CHC

I actually found some old copy of Paradise Lost at my dad's house and started it because I forgot to bring something else to read.

I'm immediately engrossed in the beauty of it. It's much, much more accessible than I ever imagined, and each lines just fills in more detail on the beautiful tapestry that Milton is weaving. Still not far, but it's much more engaging than I would have imagined.

ATF487

Bossypants - $2.99
Freakonomics - $1.99
The Life of Pi - $1.99

Thanks for this! Just bought Man in the High Castle and Freakonomics

I just finished John Darnielle's Universal Harvester. Not as good as his debut imo, but I still very much enjoyed it. He definitely nails the Midwestern small town feel, and the central mystery keeps you hooked until the conclusion.

Just finished this tonight. I am conflicted by it, but feel like that was the author's intent. I can see the book being rather polarizing though.

Might read Wolf In The White Van next. :)

Great weather really bit into my reading time this weekend, and I only made it through 20% of Lincoln In The Bardo. Man, some of those sentences are like daggers through the heart...as expected.

DemWalls

Finally finished Nights of Villjamur by Mark Newton.

Lots of good ideas in there, but way too many aspects feel half-baked (or worse). The last 200 or so pages, in particular, are full of possibly interesting developments, but I felt the author did little to make the reader feel engrossed, to really care for the characters and what's happening to them; they read more like a timeline of events to set up what will happen in the subsequent books than anything else. This character was here, s/he did this, that's it.

All in all, an honest 6/10.

Bazza

11296181.jpg

13502409.jpg

23930046.jpg

28337643.jpg

Finished this series over the weekend, Not sure I would have chosen to read it if the series wasn't in the most recent sci-fi bundle on storybundle. Glad it was though because it ticked all the boxes I like for a easy to read fun sci-fi series.

I will eventually check out the authors other series down the line but seeing as Norse Mythology seems to be getting good reviews Im going to get started in Neil Gaiman's book's, only thing I have read of his is Good Omens which was written with Terry Pratchett.

lawnchair

Banned
Just a heads up, New York Review Books has a winter sale up. Some good stuff. I can never resist picking a few up.

these books are beautiful. also i've read probably twelve of them and they have all been great. they look really cool on a shelf together. from those on sale i HIGHLY recommend Red Shift by Alan Garner,

wish more people would figure out how to make attractive book-covers. :p

what i'm reading: the final chapter of jerusalem, finally. i'll try to come and type something about it when i finish ...

Breakage

Anyone got any recommendations for books on "gaslighting" (psychological manipulation) and how it has been used thru history to the present day?

Unducks

Neo Member
these books are beautiful. also i've read probably twelve of them and they have all been great. they look really cool on a shelf together. from those on sale i HIGHLY recommend Red Shift by Alan Garner,

wish more people would figure out how to make attractive book-covers. :p

what i'm reading: the final chapter of jerusalem, finally. i'll try to come and type something about it when i finish ...

Any other NYRB books you'd recommend (even if not on sale)? I've read Stoner but that's all, and never given much thought to their other offerings. After spending just a few minutes reading some descriptions I'm realizing how much I'm missing out on, but I'm overwhelmed with choices.

lawnchair

Banned
Any other NYRB books you'd recommend (even if not on sale)? I've read Stoner but that's all, and never given much thought to their other offerings. After spending just a few minutes reading some descriptions I'm realizing how much I'm missing out on, but I'm overwhelmed with choices.

there really are a ton of them now. over 400 i think. i'm sure it's been quite a success story. somebody should write a book about it! a big part of their success, i think, has been the design of their covers (in addition to the quality of the books, in my experience). somebody decided to put some complementary colors together in a square, then put that on top of a picture or attractive piece of art, and bam, you've got the most recognizable books on the shelves anywhere.

anyhow! i just made a list of all the nyrb classics i've read and it was longer than i thought it'd be. i've cut it down a little to include only what i'd consider the absolute BEST AND GREATEST HITS. all of these books rocked my world.

Warlock, Oakley Hall
Augustus, John Williams
Butcher's Crossing, John Williams
Red Shift, Alan Garner
Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky, Patrick Hamilton
The Slaves of Solitude, Patrick Hamilton
The Judges of the Secret Court, David Stacton

i don't think you could have a bad time with any of these.

NYRB book covers are incredible. Any recs? What are you getting?

Yeah I love them. They look so awesome on the shelf.

I definitely recommend Naked Earth, and The Bridge and Beyond. Mr Fortune is also interesting and My Dog Tulip is pretty great if you are a dog person.

I picked up Red Shift, Tyrant Banderas, Happy Moscow and Testing the Current.

besada

Banned
Finished Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. It was a wonderful, strange little novel. Tremendously sad, but also indicative of how we go on under the burden of suffering that everyone partakes of. There are moments when he's clearly talking to the modern reader, about the mess we find ourselves in, but others where he's addressing a fundamental human reality of having to go on when those we love die around us, and to keep giving when we feel dried up.

Really remarkable first novel.

Next up, John Darnielle's second novel, Universal Harvester.

NekoFever

I started reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess last night. For those who don't know, it's largely written in the made-up English/Russian/cockney slang language that Alex and co use in the film. I started off with the dictionary of all the terms open on the computer next to me as I read and was finding it heavy going, but once I dropped that and started just reading it, picking up on what the words meant by context and etymological leaps of faith, I really started to enjoy it. It's funny how much you get into the mindset where what they're saying makes sense.

I know this isn't directed at me but I'd recommend Stoner and The Long Ships. Both books are fantastic.

Yeah I love them. They look so awesome on the shelf.

I definitely recommend Naked Earth, and The Bridge and Beyond. Mr Fortune is also interesting and My Dog Tulip is pretty great if you are a dog person.

I picked up Red Shift, Tyrant Banderas, Happy Moscow and Testing the Current.
Excellent. Thanks!

severin

Hard Rain Falling by Don Carpenter; easily one of the best books I've ever read. Like a grittier version of Stoner.

kswiston

If anyone is up for some non-fiction President's Day reading, "The Return of George Washington: Uniting the States, 1783-1789" by Edward Larson is currently on sale for $1.99 on the (US) Kindle store.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2PD9GW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Larson is a previous Pulitzer Prize winner for his book "Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America's Continuing Debate Over Science and Religion". I haven't read the Return of George Washington, but it looks to be pretty interesting, covering his role in the Constitutional Convention and his early days at the first President of the United States.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, but you still want some US History, a bunch of other books are also on sale.

Here are a few:

Grant Takes Command (and other Civil War books) by Bruce Catton ($1.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DJ7D4I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This Kind of War: The Classic Military History of the Korean War by T. R. Fehrenbach ($1.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3EU6IK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Truman by David McCullough ($2.99): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC0VVQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mumei

Mumei, please talk to us about Middlemarch.

Middlemarch is the bestest. I can't tell you how many times (because I don't have it with me) I wrote down a page number after reading some insightful or amusing comment by the narrator or a character.

KidDork

Finished Grave Peril, Number Three in the Harry Dresden series. Butcher still felt like he was finding his way with this series at this point. He does have a talent for moving a plot along, and I am intrigued by the power blocs he sets up in this universe. It's one of the most popular series out there for a reason, I suppose.

Am now reading Irvine Welsh's Skagboys and enjoying it immensely.

duckroll

Genocidal Organ - Project Itoh

This was a breeze to read, and had a ton of really interesting ideas and scifi motifs, and goddamn it really tanked itself in the final chapter with the villain having a bunch of terrible hot takes. Overall I enjoyed reading it quite a bit, but it definitely has the signs of "debut novel", "hobbyist writer", and "huge scifi fanboy" written all over it. I'll give Itoh a ton of credit for having really cool visual ideas of a dystopic setting for a military thriller though. The anime film should be a ton of fun. What's impressive is how a bunch of ideas in the book clearly seeded stuff which Kojima used in MGS4 and MGS5. While some of the ideas might simply be drawing from the same original sources, given how they aren't super original, there are very clear thematic and visual motifs which have to be directly inspired. Given how they were friends and had a lot of mutual respect for each other, it makes sense.

The part of the book that really took me out of it was the silly ass speech the villain gives at the end to the protagonist, and he starts talking about the rational behind his motivations, and well.... his hot takes are bad because they're factually inaccurate or flat out wrong. Whoops I guess. :p

Mumei

Middlemarch is so great, with funny bits of dialogue or just fine observations about people:

gosh why does this seem so relevant said:
But this vague conviction of indeterminable guilt, which was enough to keep up much head-shaking and biting innuendo even among substantial professional seniors, had for the general mind all the superior power of mystery over fact. Everybody liked better to conjecture how a thing was, than simply to know it; for conjecture soon became more confident than knowledge, and had a more liberal allowance for the incompatible. Even the more definite scandal involving [redacted]'s earlier life was, for some minds, melted into the mass of mystery, as so much lively metal to be poured out in dialogue, and to take such fantastic shapes as heaven pleased.

This was the tone of thought chiefly sanctioned by Mrs Dollop, the spirited landlady of the Tankard in Slaughter Lane, who had often to resist the shallow pragmatism of customers disposed to think that their reports from the outer world were of equal force with what had "come up" in her mind.

"It would have been better if I had called him out and shot him a year ago," said [person 1], not from bloody-mindedness, but because he needed something to say.

"Really, [person 1], that would have been very disagreeable," said [person 2]

"No, indeed, father. I don't love him because he is a fine match."
"What for, then?"
"Oh, dear, because I have always loved him. I should never like scolding any one else so well; and that is a point to be thought of in a husband."

[redacted] himself was not in a position to be quickly conscious of anything except a general slipping away within himself: he had even a little singing in the ears, and he was the only person who had not yet taken distinct account of the echo or discerned the image of himself. Few things hold the perceptions more thoroughly than anxiety about what we have got to say.

For the egoism which enters into our theories does not affect their sincerity; rather, the more our egoism is satisfied, the more robust our belief.

It was not that he was in danger of legal punishment, or of beggary; he was in danger only of seeing disclosed to the judgment of his neighbours and the mournful perception of his wife certain facts of his past life which would render him an object of scorn and an opprobrium of the religion with which he had been diligently associated himself. The terror of being judged sharpens the memory: it sends an inevitable glare over that long-unvisited past which has been habitually recalled only in general phrases.

Beforehand, [redacted] had thought that she would sooner question [her] than any one else; but she found to her surprise that an old friend is not always the person whom it is easiest to make a confidant of: there was the barrier of remembered communication under other circumstances &#8212; there was the dislike of being pitied and informed by one who had long wont to allow her the superiority.

The presence of a noble nature, generous in its wishes, ardent in its charity, changes the lights for us: we begin to see things again in their larger, quieter masses, and to believe that we too can be seen and judged in the wholeness of our character.

I could grab more, but you get the point. It's great. <3

TTG

Finished Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. It was a wonderful, strange little novel. Tremendously sad, but also indicative of how we go on under the burden of suffering that everyone partakes of. There are moments when he's clearly talking to the modern reader, about the mess we find ourselves in, but others where he's addressing a fundamental human reality of having to go on when those we love die around us, and to keep giving when we feel dried up.

Really remarkable first novel.

Next up, John Darnielle's second novel, Universal Harvester.

That's so on my list. Have you read his CivilWarLand in Bad Decline? Because it's fantastic. It's one of the most endearing books I've read, like ever.

there really are a ton of them now. over 400 i think. i'm sure it's been quite a success story. somebody should write a book about it! a big part of their success, i think, has been the design of their covers (in addition to the quality of the books, in my experience). somebody decided to put some complementary colors together in a square, then put that on top of a picture or attractive piece of art, and bam, you've got the most recognizable books on the shelves anywhere.

anyhow! i just made a list of all the nyrb classics i've read and it was longer than i thought it'd be. i've cut it down a little to include only what i'd consider the absolute BEST AND GREATEST HITS. all of these books rocked my world.

Warlock, Oakley Hall
Augustus, John Williams
Butcher's Crossing, John Williams
Red Shift, Alan Garner
Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky, Patrick Hamilton
The Slaves of Solitude, Patrick Hamilton
The Judges of the Secret Court, David Stacton

i don't think you could have a bad time with any of these.

Thanks for that. I've come across their site a couple of times and it's just a sea of names I don't recognize, apart from John Williams.

Just finished this one:

lightless-by-c-a-higgins-9780553394429.jpg

I really enjoyed it actually. Tense situation involving thieves sneaking aboard a classified space ship. Will probably pick up the sequel some time down the line. The plotting was very well done, characterization was fairly minimal but i thought what was there was effective.

Started Lies of Locke Lamora based off recommendations I saw in the gaf reading thread a few weeks/months ago. Seems cool so far, still early though.

images

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The Red Knight, by Miles Cameron, is on sale for $2.99 on Kindle today.

Sounds very interesting. It's the first book of the Traitor Son Cycle.

Anyone recommend it? And if so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom