• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? |OT|

ahtlas7

Gold Member
finished last week
UdeDE1L.jpeg

You can read a bit here: https://g.co/kgs/FASRCL8
The book had some fun action scenes but for being highly rated it was slow and uninteresting in too many places.

currently reading:

Dune
What is there to say, it’s Dune.

and
Zi4WakH.jpeg

Book 1 of Guin. I love the anime so the book was highly recommended. Started reading a few days ago and enjoying it so far.

I just finished Special Topics In Calamity Physics. Really good book. I'm going to start reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier And Clay most likely next week

Jsisto

Finished reading Lord of the Rings. The Scouring of the Shire is probably the best part of the story and an amazing culmination of the Hobbits entire arc. Such a shame that they decided not to put it in the movie, but I understand it would have been challenging.

TexMex TexMex

I started The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier And Clay by Micheal Chabon this Tuesday and I'm already halfway through. I'll be able to finish this most likely by the weekend. So far it's fantastic and thanks for reccomanding I read the book as soon as possible

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Reading Blood Meridian. One chapter a night. There's layers to this book that you do need a certain knowledge of, in terms of flow and structure I can completely keep up with it but I do lack the understanding.

I often cite a summary to see if I've misinterpreted anything and so far I've not missed a thing on a narrative level. It's things like in Chapter 5 when the Kid and Sproule travel across the wilderness there's a constant mentioning of a certain plant they come across. On some Reddit thread it was said it can be used for medicinal purposes so when they needed something like that they were completely oblivious to a potential life saving fix. I wasn't really shocked at the violence with the Native Americans so far, I was DEFINITELY shocked at them being booty bandits though.

Last edited:

TexMex

Gold Member
Reading Blood Meridian. One chapter a night. There's layers to this book that you do need a certain knowledge of, in terms of flow and structure I can completely keep up with it but I do lack the understanding.

I often cite a summary to see if I've misinterpreted anything and so far I've not missed a thing on a narrative level. It's things like in Chapter 5 when the Kid and Sproule travel across the wilderness there's a constant mentioning of a certain plant they come across. On some Reddit thread it was said it can be used for medicinal purposes so when they needed something like that they were completely over oblivious to a potential life saving fix. I wasn't really shocked at the violence with the Native Americans so far, I was DEFINITELY shocked at them being booty bandits though.

Very comfortable admitting I'm too dumb for this book. I was constantly reading a page and then going back to re-read it because I felt like I missed something. I know this is supposed to be his masterpiece but it's my least favorite of the four I've read.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Very comfortable admitting I'm too dumb for this book. I was constantly reading a page and then going back to re-read it because I felt like I missed something. I know this is supposed to be his masterpiece but it's my least favorite of the four I've read.
Have you read the one with the MC who is a serial killer, what's that like?

calistan

71kivwcz0GL._SY466_.jpg

My first Murakami book but won't be my last. Can honestly say I've never read anything like it. Just loved it.
I love Murakami, he's a one-off. He revisits the same themes over and over, so once you get into a Murakami groove, a lot of his work blends into a single surreal experience. I sometimes have trouble remembering which plot belongs to which book, but they are all amazing.

My favourite is definitely The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I've read that so many times, my copy is held together with tape (my fault for reading in the bath). It's the most perfect and mysterious Murakami novel.

TexMex

Gold Member
I love Murakami, he's a one-off. He revisits the same themes over and over, so once you get into a Murakami groove, a lot of his work blends into a single surreal experience. I sometimes have trouble remembering which plot belongs to which book, but they are all amazing.

My favourite is definitely The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I've read that so many times, my copy is held together with tape (my fault for reading in the bath). It's the most perfect and mysterious Murakami novel.

I bought Wind Up (and Norwegian Wood) when I bought Kafka, so it’s definitely next. Will get to it this year for sure.

Lonesome Dove up next!

Top Bottom