• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

Karakand

b650zm.jpg

Chorazin

HiroProtagonist said:
To hold me over until then I picked up Altered Carbon and Perdido Street Station, both recommendations from these threads.
20a76ty.jpg

That was free on the Kindle store a while ago, and since I heard really good things about The City and the City from him, I made sure to download it.

Man, after finishing it, really wanted all that time back I put into it. IMO, the ending felt like such a massive fuck you to the reader that it really soured my perception of the whole book and the author.

Maybe you'll be into that type of ending, and you'll like it. I know lots and lots of people who love the book though, so maybe it's just not for me.

Chorazin said:
That was free on the Kindle store a while ago, and since I heard really good things about The City and the City from him, I made sure to download it.

Man, after finishing it, really wanted all that time back I put into it. IMO, the ending felt like such a massive fuck you to the reader that it really soured my perception of the whole book and the author.

Maybe you'll be into that type of ending, and you'll like it. I know lots and lots of people who love the book though, so maybe it's just not for me.

Could you elaborate on that?

Personally, I found the ending to be more realistically bittersweet than over-wrought in tragedy, as some like to paint it. And it would be an incorrect assumption to think that all his endings are identical in such fashion. For instance, I cannot stop marveling at the ending of The Scar - an ingeniously constructed "anticlimax".

Chorazin

Tim the Wiz said:
Could you elaborate on that?

Personally, I found the ending to be more realistically bittersweet than over-wrought in tragedy, as some like to paint it. And it would be an incorrect assumption to think that all his endings are identical in such fashion. For instance, I cannot stop marveling at the ending of The Scar - an ingeniously constructed "anticlimax".

I never assumed his endings are the same or even remotely similar, I just assumed I'm not going to like his other books, because I didn't like this one. If I didn't like a free book, I'm not gonna pay for another by the same author.

If I must elaborate on the entire book, I thought every single time anything with
Motley's statue being created
happened, it drug the entire book down. In the end, I felt it served no purpose as a part of the plot. I get what it stood for, but deleting those chapters may have made the book flow so much better.

Also, the ending.
It irked me that Yag was abandoned so easily. Yes, what he did was terrible, but how many cops did they kill on that rooftop? How many people died due to the groups actions? It just seemed so hypocritical that it pissed me off and felt like the author was saying "MY BOOK ENDS IN A WAY YOU DON'T LIKE JUST BECAUSE I FELT LIKE IT! FUCK YOU!!"

I know lots of people like it, and they most likely love the ending, but again, it's just not for me.

n170060.jpg

Finished this last month and I keep posting it again and again so that no one misses out on it that might like it.
Such a phenomenal book.

My wife has been begging me to read this for a year so I finally caved in:
hungergames.jpg
catching-fire.jpg

Really really enjoyed it. At first I was apprehensive because of the 30 pt font but the characters are
engrossing and the story is well thought out. Kind of like Running Man mixed with Equilibrium mixed with
Robin Hood. I finished in like 3 days and immediately started the second one which so far as proved to be
just as riveting.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
2isb57b.jpg

Only found out recently that Gibson wrote more than one book in the Sprawl universe, so I decided to check out the two after Neuromancer (which is the only book I consistently re-read every couple years).

Close to halfway through, and I'm enjoying it, but for about the first quarter I was having trouble following. Part of that is probably because I was just reading in small 10 minutes spurts when that's not the optimal way to take everything in when the author is interchanging three different storylines. Taking off for me pretty quickly now that I know what is going on, though.

Chorazin

Monroeski said:
2isb57b.jpg

Only found out recently that Gibson wrote more than one book in the Sprawl universe, so I decided to check out the two after Neuromancer (which is the only book I consistently re-read every couple years).

Close to halfway through, and I'm enjoying it, but for about the first quarter I was having trouble following. Part of that is probably because I was just reading in small 10 minutes spurts when that's not the optimal way to take everything in when the author is interchanging three different storylines. Taking off for me pretty quickly now that I know what is going on, though.

I'm pretty sure all of his books other than Spook Country and Pattern Recognition are set in the same universe.

And those might be set in the past of that universe, I don't think he's said either way.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Chorazin said:
I'm pretty sure all of his books other than Spook Country and Pattern Recognition are set in the same universe.

And those might be set in the past of that universe, I don't think he's said either way.
In that case I'm fortunate that in addition to Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive, I also bought Virtual Light, Idoru, and All Tomorrow's Parties. :D

I've already read most of the short stories + Burning Chrome that I know are in the same universe. From what I understand, though, while the Bridge Trilogy could be set in the same universe as the Sprawl trilogy, it's not completely clear whether it actually is or not. I haven't read them yet, of course, and I tend to try to avoid information on books before I read them so I haven't done too much research on it.

%7BC2A9A798-DB81-472E-B555-A7A3D6A04BF8%7DImg100.jpg

I spent 100 bucks at Chapters using a gift card from Christmas and I picked up The Hobbit and The Silmarillion (as well as ASOIAF and the original 3 Dragonlance books), so I'm rereading these as well.

FnordChan

Ninja Scooter said:

That looks fantastic and I've added it to my wish list. Let us know you like it!

Meanwhile, I just started this during my lunch break:

51aY1-lQUfL.jpg

Wolves Eat Dogs (2004) is the fifth novel in Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series, which has followed the career of a Moscow detective from the late Cold War soviet era up through the modern day. Renko's dry wit (steeped in black humor and Soviet-era fatalism) and disregard for office politics or job security make him a terrific character and I've enjoyed the hell out of the previous four novels in the series. Here Renko is investigating the apparent suicide of a successful (read: extremely wealthy and probably corrupt) New Russian businessman; the back cover promises that this investigation will lead Renko to Chernobyl. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how Renko gets there and to reading Smith's descriptions of the Zone of Exclusion.

FnordChan

Chorazin said:
I never assumed his endings are the same or even remotely similar, I just assumed I'm not going to like his other books, because I didn't like this one. If I didn't like a free book, I'm not gonna pay for another by the same author.

Fair enough.

Chorazin said:
If I must elaborate on the entire book, I thought every single time anything with
Motley's statue being created
happened, it drug the entire book down. In the end, I felt it served no purpose as a part of the plot. I get what it stood for, but deleting those chapters may have made the book flow so much better.

We're going to have to disagree on that front. The statue was at the center of an important plot thread from what I can remember. I also quite liked the tension that surrounded those sections with Motley.

Chorazin said:
Also, the ending.
It irked me that Yag was abandoned so easily. Yes, what he did was terrible, but how many cops did they kill on that rooftop? How many people died due to the groups actions? It just seemed so hypocritical that it pissed me off and felt like the author was saying "MY BOOK ENDS IN A WAY YOU DON'T LIKE JUST BECAUSE I FELT LIKE IT! FUCK YOU!!"

Well, I thought the author was presenting a flawed character, who, emotionally traumatized and wrecked, couldn't find empathy for what he didn't understand. He simply saw it as rape, whereas in their society it was actually a greater and more perverse crime. It's a good extrapolation of the human condition: We, as humans, will always be troubled by our incomprehension of the Other, whether that be another race/nationality/etc. or, as is capable in a world of fantasy, another sentient species.

Moreover, he never stopped to think - seriously think - beforehand what sort of action could cause such maiming by creatures of flight on another of their kind. In this way, Isaac was displayed as naive and slightly self-absorbed throughout. Really, his reaction was not that much of a shock, and the ending was quite fitting from where I stood. Indeed, I had no sense of Mieville warping the characterization on the last stretch just to be edgy or some other nonsense.

Chorazin said:
I know lots of people like it, and they most likely love the ending, but again, it's just not for me.

Again, fair enough; I just find it a touch odd, is all. You're the first person I've encountered to gather such a large element of fault with not only the book (personally, I felt the plot was a bit stifled by
the narrow gaze of the monster hunt
, although The Scar helped make up for most of that minor annoyance), but also the author, especially given the quality of his prose - at least, from my perspective.

FnordChan

icarus-daedelus said:
FnordChan, I am going to have to recommend that to my mom. She loves mystery/detective novels and I am always trying to find her series that are not pure shit. Unfortunately, most of what gets released in that genre (and every genre, I suppose) is airport novel-caliber fare.

I gave my own mom the first Renko novel as a Christmas gift a few years back, so I definitely approve of your idea. She should start with Gorky Park, which is top notch and works just fine as a stand alone novel if she never reads another book in the series.

FnordChan

ymmv

Banned
ShadyMilkman said:
Just finished The Dragon Reborn and am about to start Shadow Rising. So far, so good, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054749/. I figure I'll keep going as long as I stay interested.

This will get progressively worse with each volume. Just read the Amazon reviews of the later books. The Gathering Storm, the 12 book in the series (written by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan's death) is when it gets interesting again.

Chorazin

Tim the Wiz said:
Again, fair enough; I just find it a touch odd, is all. You're the first person I've encountered to gather such a large element of fault with not only the book (personally, I felt the plot was a bit stifled by
, although The Scar helped make up for most of that minor annoyance), but also the author, especially given the quality of his prose - at least, from my perspective.

"The quality of his prose" doesn't matter for shit to me, really. If an author writes a book with a story I just don't enjoy, I'm not going to read another of his books.

I'm not a member of DeepThinkingAboutBooksAGE, that's for sure.

EDIT: Added Tokyo Vice to my Wishlist, gonna pick that up soon for my Kindle.

FnordChan said:
I gave my own mom the first Renko novel as a Christmas gift a few years back, so I definitely approve of your idea. She should start with Gorky Park, which is top notch and works just fine as a stand alone novel if she never reads another book in the series.

FnordChan
That sounds like an interesting series. I'll look into picking up a copy the next time I'm wandering around a book story.

Falch

Almost done with the Sound and the Fury. I'm absolutely loving it, perhaps even better than As I Lay Dying. I'm definitely gonna read more Faulkner.

Next up is Joyce's a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

MrFortyFive

Just finished:

duma-key.jpg

Just starting:

under-the-dome.jpg

Duma Key was excellent. It had me completely hooked. I'm just hoping Under the Dome can do the same since it's so long.

Mr.FortyFive said:
Just finished:

duma-key.jpg

I really liked Duma Key but I found the end to be a little all over the place and it lost some of its momentum for me. Mad props to King for
killing his daughter
though. I didn't see that coming.

Magicked

Tim the Wiz said:
Well, I thought the author was presenting a flawed character, who, emotionally traumatized and wrecked, couldn't find empathy for what he didn't understand. He simply saw it as rape, whereas in their society it was actually a greater and more perverse crime. It's a good extrapolation of the human condition: We, as humans, will always be troubled by our incomprehension of the Other, whether that be another race/nationality/etc. or, as is capable in a world of fantasy, another sentient species.

Moreover, he never stopped to think - seriously think - beforehand what sort of action could cause such maiming by creatures of flight on another of their kind. In this way, Isaac was displayed as naive and slightly self-absorbed throughout. Really, his reaction was not that much of a shock, and the ending was quite fitting from where I stood. Indeed, I had no sense of Mieville warping the characterization on the last stretch just to be edgy or some other nonsense.

The ending was somewhat of a surprise to me because regardless of everything that happened before it, I still expected it to wrap up in a typical feel-good fantasy ending. I still enjoyed it though for the questions it posed, and it fit the world Mieville created as a whole. I think you summed it up nicely above. :)

I also read the book late at night in the dead of winter with snow on the ground outside my window. It was the perfect setting. When I read the last page and closed the book, I was disappointed only because I didn't want it to end.

Karakand

Cyan said:
Whoa. I thought translations weren't allowed?
You're supposed to read it in Arabic because if you read a translation the word of god has been filtered through a human even though it was filtered through a human in the first place.

Basically no but don't try and cite an English translation in a theological throw down.

Chorazin

Reading two novels right now:

51M9W61JrlL._SL500_AA246_PIkin2,BottomRight,-12,34_AA280_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A little slow to start, and while I put up the Kindle pic I'm reading the print book. It's printed in sepia, which I guess looks all steampunky and whatnot, it's kind of distracting that it's not simple black on white. It has promise, so I'm hoping it picks up the pace soon.

51d%2Bg%2BdH4sL._SL500_AA246_PIkin2,BottomRight,-13,34_AA280_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Basically, a highly advanced, multinational navel fleet (including the USS Hillary Clinton, named "for the most uncompromising war-time president in US history") led by the US is sucked through a time warp from 2021 to 1942, and end of smack dab in the middle of the US fleet headed to Midway. The distasterous confrontation between the fleets is waaaaay to drawn out, the entire time you know that they will stop fighting, meet, and work out the situation and get on with the cool, alternate history, stranger in a strange land stuff. I FINALLY got past all that (seriously, it's like 8 chapters) and it's getting pretty awesome now. I am reading this one on Kindle, it was free a few months back.

Ryu

hungergames.jpg

I just finished this as well over 3 days. I really enjoyed it! I like these quick read teen aimed books. They just get straight to the point, no BS. Very much Battle Royale, but I felt for the characters. Good stuff. Ordered the sequel as soon as I finished this one.

12551209.jpg

Just started this and I am about 60 pages in. I really enjoyed the first book and can't wait to see the film. Book 2 is turning out to be pretty good thus far...

33676943.jpg

I tried reading this and I failed miserably. It just didn't hook me. I suppose I should have tried to read the Bourne books (of course knowing they are very different from the films) but I figured there would be some threads that kept them linked, but there really isn't and I find the novelized version of Bourne to be inferior to the film version. :(

Ryu said:
hungergames.jpg

I just finished this as well over 3 days. I really enjoyed it! I like these quick read teen aimed books. They just get straight to the point, no BS. Very much Battle Royale, but I felt for the characters. Good stuff. Ordered the sequel as soon as I finished this one.

I am about halfway through the second one. Let me know what you think of it once you start.

Quake1028

Book # 3
theroad.jpg

Finally got through it after 3 failed attempts. Really grabbed me by the shorthairs around 80 pages in and didn't let up. Have no idea where to go next.

Alucard

Banned
lolita-2.jpg

Creepy and satirical at the same time. Nabokov's wordplay is cheesy and delightful at times, but the subject matter is hard not to cringe at.

Mifune

Mehmber
afternoon delight said:
Just finished Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto Bolano. Thirteen short stories full of melancholy and pain and happiness and questioning and reality. There are many moments of absolute perfect recording of suffering and human experience. Bolano seems to understand life so very well, his descriptive power and control of tone/theme/mood is undeniable and immediate. It doesn't have the scope of his novels because its not meant to.

I just read this as well, and that's a perfect description of it. I will be revisiting it soon.

Right now, I'm reading The Savage Detectives, which is so far one of the most beautiful books I've read in a long time -- okay, since Infinite Jest, but considering how much I loved that one, this is very high praise.

I find that reading this guy really inspires me to write, too. So extra points for the kick-in-the-pants factor.

dude

dude
Alucard said:
Creepy and satirical at the same time. Nabokov's wordplay is cheesy and delightful at times, but the subject matter is hard not to cringe at.
One of my favorite books. Though I disagree with you, the subject matter is very easy not to cringe at.

I'm reading The Fountainhead. I've read more than 600 pages in four days. I think this will probably end up being one of my favorite books.

Alucard

Banned
dude said:
One of my favorite books. Though I disagree with you, the subject matter is very easy not to cringe at.

Imagining the various violations of a preteen has been a test at times, though laughing at Humbert Humbert's dramatic prose has eased a bit of that.

dude

dude
Alucard said:
Imagining the various violations of a preteen has been a test at times, though laughing at Humbert Humbert's dramatic prose has eased a bit of that.
I guess that's how the book should be read, that's why it's so successful. Its ability to make people swallow the bitter pill of the former with the latter.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
BenjaminBirdie said:
This exact copy of Stephen King's IT.

jq5dg5.jpg

It's the one I bought in like 1989. Not only is it one of my favorite books, but from a strict design/color/everything perspective, it is probably my definition of the perfect book cover. Better than the hardcover version because I prefer the author typeface on this one.

I picked it up from storage over the holiday break and it's just pretty fantastic to have it around again. It's like perfectly worn but not falling apart. It's totally awesome.

I read that exact printing. It was a library book, also perfectly worn but not falling apart. I read it in the late summer of 1992, most of it on a camping trip. The cover always drew questions from anyone who saw it.

Mr.FortyFive said:
Duma Key was excellent. It had me completely hooked. I'm just hoping Under the Dome can do the same since it's so long.

About 150 pages left of Dome and it certainly has kept me hooked. I had to take breaks on both The Stand and IT to finish them, but Dome is so well paced that I'm incredibly tempted to skip ahead just to find out how things turn. For the record I prefer IT to The Stand, and I'm probably going to like Dome more than The Stand as well, but not as much as IT.

On my Kindle I'm currently reading A Princess of Mars.

Just finished Under The Dome. An amazing book until the last 100 pages. I was so pissed off by the end that I wondered why I bothered to plow through the 1,000+ pages for a rushed ending that had no context.

I was not satisfied.

END OF BOOK SPOILERS!

What a cop out to have the dome be generated by some alien kids. Then, when Julia actually teleports(!) to where the kids are she just asks and they lift the dome. Retarded.

AND ALL OF IT HAPPENS IN THE LAST 50 PAGES!
so dumb.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Falch said:
Almost done with the Sound and the Fury. I'm absolutely loving it, perhaps even better than As I Lay Dying. I'm definitely gonna read more Faulkner.

Put Absalom, Absalom on your list. But take a break after The Sound and the Fury before you tackle it.

TheWiicast said:
Just finished Under The Dome. An amazing book until the last 100 pages. I was so pissed off by the end that I wondered why I bothered to plow through the 1,000+ pages for a rushed ending that had no context.

I was not satisfied.

END OF BOOK SPOILERS!

What a cop out to have the dome be generated by some alien kids. Then, when Julia actually teleports(!) to where the kids are she just asks and they lift the dome. Retarded.

AND ALL OF IT HAPPENS IN THE LAST 50 PAGES!
so dumb.
I feel the same way... :(

But the rest of it was sooooo good!

Karakand

Alucard said:
You once reviewed Charlie and the Glass Elevator. On GAF. That is something to cringe at, not Lolita.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Alucard said:

oh my god. you fucking idiot.

ronito

51FGPPMWQBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Almost done with this, interesting and pacing is good though the tone rubs me the wrong way. Still interesting to learn about this stuff.

Top Bottom