• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Don't forget to visit the ...

The book for February/March is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Non-western literature

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Mumei

No libraries nearby. I live in the boonies. I think I'll just get it for Kindle. I got the paperback copy for free anyway so no big loss.

I feel like I might have had a conversation with you about your not living near any libraries before, or maybe this is just some inexplicable deja vu. In any event, I can't imagine. I go to the library at least twice a week. :(

lightus

Still working on A Storm of Swords. Next will be Fall of Hyperion. Gaming is beating out reading currently, so my progress has slowed significantly. I'm hoping to pick up the pace and finish aSoS this week.

Waiting on Wool Omnibus to be out in paperback so that I can read it. I've heard only good things.

ShaneB

Got a Kobo touch for christmas, so I'll be paying more attention to these threads from now. I mean, I liked reading before, but I never knew how much I wanted a eReader until I got one.

See someone mention Heir to the Empire, that's on my list to finally read as well.

51s20yFX1aL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished a book based on Everquest MMO, Truth and Steel, which was ok. Now reading Roadside Picnic. So far so good. Making reading my # 1 priority for the New Year. Going to try to alternate between Fantasy and SF novels.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Decided to pick up Book 9/10 (Dust of Dreams at page 220 of the "Malazan" series lol. In High School (two years ago) I read books 1-8, and part of 9. Then I just stopped, don't even remember why. All the characters and plotlines are slowly coming back though, very slowly.

since it's the new year i'll read the other book another time so i can do the 50 books in a year.

51AVDIU3cZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-56,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

love prime.

those "free" books to read.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm about 60 pages into Joe Hill's "Heart shaped box" and it is fucking amazing so far. I initially gave Hill a chance (Locke & Key) because of who his daddy is, and I'm gladdened and saddened all at once.

I'm so gladdened that I gave him a chance for any reason, and saddened that my reasoning was so shallow. The man deserves every bit of acclaim he's given.

I don't mean to sound too excitable here. I'm a huge King fan but it's been a while since his work clicked with me, and that's probably my fault. It just feels so good to get back into that spooky shit.

I already bought 20th Century Ghosts to read after I've finished Heart Shaped Box and "These Lonely places" by R.K. Kombrink.

Lots of great stuff to catch up on.

thomaser

51x6JuT8V2L._SS400_.jpg

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Only 20 pages into the first story. Very nice so far, with a style and humour reminiscent of Pynchon's Mason & Dixon.

An-Det

Currently at 77% in Memories of Ice (Erikson). Loving it.

2U4Yd.jpg

And in a week, A Memory of Light (Jordan/Sanderson) will arrive and I'll drop everything to read it. It's all I wanted for Xmas, and it's nearly here.

Started The Price of Politics today, 24% done. Nice insight into some of the politicians that don't get a ton of attention, and Woodward doesn't seem too biased (yet).

Roofy

Currently reading:

NaJxQ.jpg

I think I have a strange habit when it comes to reading. I like to listen to music that fits with the theme of the book. Jazz for the lost generation era books, Boards of Canada or Carbon Based Lifeforms for Asimov, etc. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should listen to with The English Patient?

A little over a quarter in and I'm really enjoying it

^ Not a bad idea but I just listen to smooth jazz or light classical. If I hear words in the music I'll start paying attention to the lyrics while I try to read.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just ordered this from Amazon

quiet-the-power-of-introverts-in-a-world-that-cant-stop-talking.jpg

Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I can't wait until it comes in.

Because of last month's thread, somebody convinced me to read Cloud Atlas, and I just finished reading it before the month's end! What a fantastic read that was. It was a bit rough at the very opening but as it gets going it shows its true colours. Truly brilliant structure and character. Like a celebration of literature in literature form.

I'm now reading:

And also starting:

The author's note at the beginning of Life of Pi had me instantly hooked. I hope the rest of the book gets me in this way :)

200px-Jonathan_strange_and_mr_norrell_cover.jpg

Enjoying it so far. 50 books!

I just finished it last week. So good! She has another book that I am going to have to start pretty soon.

Also just finished:

8trpN.jpg

which was a light read, only took a few hours, but fun. Now starting my first 2013 book,

Mzdv6.jpg

(Thanks to the Kindle Daily Deal posted in the last thread!)

partime

Just finished this a couple days ago.
Interested because of comments from reddit.

It was interesting knowing how far people would go if their government crumbles beneath while some where heavily influenced by the Nazi's behavior. This was extremely disturbing and felt like I was reading pure fiction. Even if the author fluffed the story a bit, the core of it is just breathtakingly twisted.
%D0%A0%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%BF%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%85_The_Painted_Bird.jpg

thomaser

Because of last month's thread, somebody convinced me to read Cloud Atlas, and I just finished reading it before the month's end! What a fantastic read that was. It was a bit rough at the very opening but as it gets going it shows its true colours. Truly brilliant structure and character. Like a celebration of literature in literature form.

Sounds great! I just finished the first part. Enjoyed it a lot, but I'm relieved that the second part is written in a much more contemporary language. Can't wait to see how all the parts fit together.

The author's note at the beginning of Life of Pi had me instantly hooked. I hope the rest of the book gets me in this way :)

I read Life of Pi 8 years ago or so. It's an experience! I actually developed a fairly bad case of agoraphobia while reading it, and it lasted for years. Don't know if it was because of the book, but it might have played a part, since exposure and being trapped are major themes. Enjoy! Hope you don't identify as much with Pi as I did...

Still reading:
American-Prometheus-Triumph.jpg

Thoroughly fascinating and interesting how he's portrayed as some kind of monster nowadays. He was truly shook at what the atomic bomb could do.

I read Life of Pi 8 years ago or so. It's an experience! I actually developed a fairly bad case of agoraphobia while reading it, and it lasted for years. Don't know if it was because of the book, but it might have played a part, since exposure and being trapped are major themes. Enjoy! Hope you don't identify as much with Pi as I did...

Sounds great! Minus the agoraphobia of course haha. Looking forward to this.

Enjoy Cloud Atlas, and just take your time with it. I have a feeling you'll be reporting back into this thread or next month's with some glowing remarks :D

69232.jpg

An account of the Hitler diaries hoax. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and it's fascinating and distressing seeing how and why so many intelligent people got caught up in it all. ITV did a TV mini series based on the book, so I'd like to get hold of that once I've finished.

Top Bottom