• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

jdavid459

Hi Gaf,

Anyone have any recommendations for a book I can read. In my 20's depressed, not sure what I want to do in life. Looking for a meaningful book I can enjoy that might show me different perspectives and such.

Thanks.

Hi Gaf,

Anyone have any recommendations for a book I can read. In my 20's depressed, not sure what I want to do in life. Looking for a meaningful book I can enjoy that might show me different perspectives and such.

Thanks.

I know it's cliché but maybe Catcher in the Rye? Definitely changed my perspective on things.

a-universe-from-nothing.jpg

Hi Gaf,

Thanks.

Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow has a lot of profound insight (at least it was to me) wrapped up in a wild story. It's also about a man who doesn't know what he wants from life, so that might be interesting to you.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Anyone have recommendations to ease me back into reading? I used to really enjoy it and fell out of it for a long time. Now I'm depressed and in a slump and want to take up reading again to help get out of the slump. I just finished Looking For Alaska and really, really liked it. It was an easy, quick read so it kept my attention.

Other books I have loved from the past:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
The World According to Garp
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Road

I think I might re-read The World According to Garp since it is, this far, my favorite book and it's been so long since I read it. In elementary/middle school I read a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz and generally enjoyed them. I've read a lot of Palahniuk's stuff and liked it as well. I also liked Eggers' You Shall Know Our Velocity! but wouldn't put it in my "loved" list.

I plan to go through the links in the OP but figured if I spelled out some stuff I liked before and explained that I was looking for some simple, quickish reads that it might be a better start for getting recommendations to get back into reading.

Piecake

200px-Jhereg.jpg

Im quite liking it so far and I definitely think that its one of the better fantasy novels out there. The plot reads more like a mystery/suspense novel than a hero quest, and so far does a very good job at it

My only real issue is that the dialogue, while good, feels too 'casual'. I have a hard time buying that tone when the society is supposed to be strongly hierarchical. Though that might change in later books due to the society/clan he is living in currently (outcast bums) and the other people he has associated so far with (not going to spoil it).

Finished:

This Book is Full of Spiders It's a bit more cohesive than the first book, but I think it suffers because so much time is spent away from David's perspective. John is funny when he is relayed by David, but not so much when you're seeing things from what appears to be his actual perspective and not so embellished. I get that, at first, it is supposed to draw out some tension, but I wish the narrative device was dropped midway through the book.

Overall, a better told story (though there is much more exposition and I found myself thinking "I get it" more often than JDatE) but I really missed the humor of the first book.

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo.

My first inspector Harry Hole novel (I picked it up solely because I couldn't get past his name. Seriously? Inspect Her Hairy Hole, jesus man, someone should have caught that long before the book was picked up. That said, I quite enjoyed the hard boiled plot. There were more left turns than my body had room for, but nearly every one made sense (albiet, I did call the final twist long in advance). I wish I had known that this was the 4th book in the series as I would have preferred to start at the beginning... but I was never too lost because of that. I really liked the psychological aspect of the novel. There was a lot going on in each of the characters minds and I thought it was all pretty deftly held together.

Not sure what I'm going to start next.

The main detractor was the translation. Some elements are far too literal and I couldn't grasp what they were trying to get across. There were other typos and strange elements all over which was kind of surprising seeing as this translation had been in print multiple times before (I was reading the trade paper back). I couldn't help but wonder if these two elements were linked.

Overall, if you're going to pick up a dark detective series, this seems to be one to go for.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Anyone have recommendations to ease me back into reading? I used to really enjoy it and fell out of it for a long time. Now I'm depressed and in a slump and want to take up reading again to help get out of the slump. I just finished Looking For Alaska and really, really liked it. It was an easy, quick read so it kept my attention.

Other books I have loved from the past:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
The World According to Garp
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Road

I think I might re-read The World According to Garp since it is, this far, my favorite book and it's been so long since I read it. In elementary/middle school I read a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz and generally enjoyed them. I've read a lot of Palahniuk's stuff and liked it as well. I also liked Eggers' You Shall Know Our Velocity! but wouldn't put it in my "loved" list.

I plan to go through the links in the OP but figured if I spelled out some stuff I liked before and explained that I was looking for some simple, quickish reads that it might be a better start for getting recommendations to get back into reading.
Hey man, I'm in a very similar predicament. I hadn't read anything but websites for years and I, too, loved King in my youth.

May I suggest something by Joe Hill, King's son? My first novel in many years has been his "Heart-shaped Box" and it's incredible so far. A real page-turner.

white-noise1.jpg

first delillo novel. really enjoying it.
I was forced to read "Falling Man" in English class and like every book you have to read in class, it was complete boring. I will give it another spin in a year... :/

At the moment I am reading "Momo" by Michael Ende. As a child, I haven't read a lot of books. So I am reading them now.
cover_momo.png

ShaneB

I started reading Ready Player One last night. Just the introduction, but I am already hooked, can tell I'm really going to love it. I joined the GAF goodreads group as well, is there any consistency to say a monthly book club or reviews or anything? I updated my goal to read 12 books this year. I figure one book a month is a pretty fair average for how slow I can read sometimes.

Also, I am quickly learning about the annoyances of eBook drm. Feels like I've installed 10 different programs to deal with everything getting things from all over on my kobo touch.

200px-Jhereg.jpg

Im quite liking it so far and I definitely think that its one of the better fantasy novels out there. The plot reads more like a mystery/suspense novel than a hero quest, and so far does a very good job at it

My only real issue is that the dialogue, while good, feels too 'casual'. I have a hard time buying that tone when the society is supposed to be strongly hierarchical. Though that might change in later books due to the society/clan he is living in currently (outcast bums) and the other people he has associated so far with (not going to spoil it).

I'm a pretty big fan of Brust's work. The Vlad books are more cloak & dagger with moderate amounts of sorcery interspersed. I agree, the dialogue is more casual, almost too modern.

I'd also liken the organization he's part of to more of a guild. Each guild having their own characteristics.

For the readers convenience, the first 7-8 books were re-released in omnibus sets. The Book of Jhereg has the first 3 books, etc.

If you continue reading through them, stop after finishing Issola, and check out The Khaavren Romances. It takes place 1000 yrs before the Vlad books. Its nothing like them either. Lotts of world play and prose style diaolgue.

Bururian

The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson.

I'm about halfway through the book, moving to either American Gods or The Black Prism next,

Started "Gates of Fire" the other day.

jsUgo.jpg

I've had the book for a few years and tried diving into it when I got it and it just didn't stick. Hoping that as a few years have now passed I'll enjoy it more, which I am.

rukland

Started before the new year but won't finish for a couple more days.

First time reading it and loving it so far. Plan to knock out the "first" three books before I move on to reading something else.

I'm jumping into the 50 books / 50 movies challenge on GAF so hopefully I'll be reading a lot more this year. Also I'm going to try to read "better" books. Maybe a little less fantasy... but I do love my generic fantasy fluff :p

Anyway I finished Seraphina up last week

51WyHJn6maL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

There was too much angsty teenage love for my taste. Our heroine has the realization midway through the book that she "loves" the prince and then proceeds to
cut herself because the love hurts too much.
Predictably the prince confesses at the end
not only does he love her but he has always loved her from the moment he saw her.
The part that irritates me the most though is (ending spoiler)
the prince is already engaged and the book ends with them agreeing to keep their relationship secret because it wouldn't be fair to end the engagement now.
Really?

Outside of that, the main story about Seraphina trying to stop an assignation attempt while deal with her own secrets was very good and I really liked the relationship between people and dragons. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I hope my post isn't too spoiler-y for the reading thread. It seems like people usually avoid spoilers but I wanted to vent a bit.

I started reading Ready Player One last night. Just the introduction, but I am already hooked, can tell I'm really going to love it. I joined the GAF goodreads group as well, is there any consistency to say a monthly book club or reviews or anything? I updated my goal to read 12 books this year. I figure one book a month is a pretty fair average for how slow I can read sometimes.

Also, I am quickly learning about the annoyances of eBook drm. Feels like I've installed 10 different programs to deal with everything getting things from all over on my kobo touch.

I read it and then listened to the eBook on a road trip with nerd friends. Felt like I missed that 80s party. I liked it a lot regardless. Nice mix of that nostalgia, post apocalyptic stuff and classic quest based storyline.

mike23

Finished the Icewind Dale trilogy in the Legend of Drizzt.
I thought it was pretty good, don't understand the naysayers in the last thread.

aQpPB.jpg
x6V5V.jpg
jztFl.jpg

Starting next:

B4dnJ.jpg

LProtag

OvdOm.jpg

Why have I never read Borges before, or even heard much about him?

It's all his fiction collected in one book. I started with Ficciones and read the first part, The Garden of Forking Paths. I love it.

I think my favorite story was The Library of Babel or Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote. This stuff is like a lit major's wet dream.

Setre

Nice! Move immediately to 'Best Served Cold', that is his best in my books, though I actually really loved 'Red Country'.

I would but I want to finish the First Law Trilogy first. Plus I'm trying to space my self with Abercrombie's books as I really like them. He's becoming one of my favorite authors.

LProtag

You are my new favorite poster.

I got sad today because it's highly likely I won't be able to teach any of these stories as a high school teacher, but I probably would have been able to if I followed my dreams of becoming a professor (but I probably wouldn't have gotten a job because there's barely any positions open).

Anyway, let's hang out.

Plan to start this after work.

51Gfs1J3lPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon (2009) is a non-fiction book by American author David Grann. It tells the story of the legendary British explorer Percy Fawcett who, in 1925, disappeared with his son in the Amazon while looking for an ancient lost city. For decades, explorers and scientists have tried to find evidence of his party and the Lost City of Z. Perhaps as many as 100 people perished or disappeared searching for Fawcett over the years. Grann made his own journey into the Amazon, revealing new evidence about how Fawcett died and showing that Z may have really existed right under his feet

I finished the Wool Omnibus and John Dies at the End. I absolutely loved both, especially the later. I was initially worried that I would dislike JDatE for a lot of the same reasons I absolutely despised Ready Player One, but David Wong is a much more competent writer telling a far more interesting and satisfying story.

Wool was also enjoyable, and moved at a lightning pace, almost to it's detriment at times.

I picked up the next book in the Wool series and This Book is Full of Spiders though probably won't read either for a few weeks. Now I'm at a loss of what to read next.

jacobs34

1355452664_2116_holmes.jpg

Picked this up on my Kindle for free. I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes novels, they are fantastic. Picked up The Art of Fielding a couple of days ago when it was on sale, will tear into that when I finish up with Mr. Holmes.

Piecake

Love it, and the series is great. Frequently changes things up, too.

The dialogue won't change, though. It's pretty much all casual, all the way through. You might try the Khaavren books by the same author (starting with The Phoenix Guards), if you want fancier dialogue. Beware, it's pretty much at the opposite extreme.

I actually think it was one of your posts that put me on to Brust. Quite glad i decided to give it a shot because the first book was great and the second book is looking good so far as well. Though it being a prequel threw me for a loop for a bit

As for the dialogue, I dont need it to be fancier, Id just like it to not sound like everyone is shooting the shit with their best buds, even when they have very different social positions. It just sounds weird/wrong to me. Maybe that's his Trotskyist believes seeping through (found that kinda funny)

I got sad today because it's highly likely I won't be able to teach any of these stories as a high school teacher, but I probably would have been able to if I followed my dreams of becoming a professor (but I probably wouldn't have gotten a job because there's barely any positions open).

Anyway, let's hang out.

Ficciones would be a pretty hard read for undergrads as well, so yea, making high school kids read it would be a bad idea.

I remember reading One Hundred Years of Solitude in high school though. And while that is not as nearly as complex or dense as Ficciones, I still loved it. You could always had out a recommended reading list - meaning if you like Solitude, you might like these

I think i would have appreciated something like that because I remember i found Ficciones hopscotch and others by spending some time on amazon and wikipedia

Mr. Hyde

I'm reading The Child Thief by Brom. It's a dark and violent take on the Peter Pan mythos. I didn't even know that Brom wrote novels up until the other day.

I was forced to read "Falling Man" in English class and like every book you have to read in class, it was complete boring. I will give it another spin in a year... :/

White noise is definitely not a boring book if you think you'd like reading a ridiculous and cynical commentary on modern american society. I can see how delillo's subtle sarcasm could turn someone off, though. So far he is mostly reminding me of how much I like vonnegut.

Setre

Finished

MfOe4.jpg

Reading

zFIZC.jpg

When I stopped reading that meant no more Repairman Jack and now I'm going to correct that. For those of you who've never read anything by F. Paul Wilson I HIGHLY recommend the Repairman Jack series, The Adversary Cycle, and The Barrens and Others (short story collection).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Still on this -

RLJ3d.jpg

Little less than halfway through. The going is slow but a lot of that has been because of holiday trips and vacation time. I always think I'll get more reading than ever done during the holidays but I end up getting less.

Roofy

finished The English Patient. I really enjoyed it. Especially the meta-literature aspect of it.

Next up:
Qooy3.jpg

When I stopped reading that meant no more Repairman Jack and now I'm going to correct that. For those of you who've never read anything by F. Paul Wilson I HIGHLY recommend the Repairman Jack series, The Adversary Cycle, and The Barrens and Others (short story collection).

+1 Repairman Jack is the shit.

Setre

Ok, so. Maybe you can help me out, here. I wanted to try this series, but had a little trouble figuring it out. There are, what, two separate series? And Repairman Jack first appears in one book of the Adversary series, but not the others? Or...?

Basically, where do I start if I want to read Repairman Jack?

Start with The Tomb. The Adversary Cycle takes place in the same universe as the Repairman Jack series, in fact the final book in the Adversary Cycle is the final book featuring Repairman Jack in the timeline. I'd recommend reading the Adversary Cycle if you like Repairman Jack. In fact a lot of F. Paul Wilson's book link back to the Adversary Cycle/Repairman Jack Universe. Here's the timeline if you're interested:

The Keep (AC)
Reborn (AC)
The Tomb (RJ)
Legacies (RJ)
Conspiracies (RJ) (My favorite)
All the Rage (RJ)
Hosts (RJ)
The Haunted Air (RJ) (Least favorite)
Gateways (RJ)
Crisscross (RJ)
Infernal (RJ)
Harbingers (RJ)
Bloodlines (RJ)
By the Sword (RJ)
Ground Zero (RJ)
The Touch (AC)
Fatal Error (RJ)
Reprisal (AC)
The Dark at the End (RJ) Final book in the RJ series
Nightworld (AC) Final book featuring RJ

There are other books, and short stories, in there that you could read but those are the main ones. There's a couple of young adult novels featuring RJ when he was younger. Wilson's newest RJ novel, Cold City, is set in between the young adult books and The Tomb.

If you don't want to read the AC series you don't have to just remember, if you like the books that is, to read Nightworld at the very end.

I also want to add that you should get the newest editions of all the books. Wilson has updated them to fit in with the 21st centuries current technology because after Reborn they all take place just years/months apart from one another. And I personally didn't like The Keep so if you decide to start from the very beginning don't let that book turn you off. It gets a lot better.

+1 Repairman Jack is the shit.

Glad I'm not alone!

Narag

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Really liked it although I think I prefer the movie's resolution. Going into it aware of the big twist let me appreciate it in one go rather than needing a second reading at least.

The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour

This was unexpectedly great. Snagged it forever ago on a whim during a Kindle sale although I wasn't familiar with L'Amour's work past knowing he wrote a bunch of Western novels. I just wanted something to scratch that Western itch I'd had and this delivered and then some. It felt a bit tropey at times as it seemed to have every thing but a train robbery but the characters were well developed and the action had a wonderful sense of tension to it.

Nezumi

I started Elantris a while back, but after threee weeks or so I was still at 5% so I put it down for now. I don't know, I love Sanderson, but this one does not grip me at all.

So instead now I'm reading:
n221411.jpg

Appears to be just as good as the first one. Great and interesting characters. And the poet/andat magic system is one of the most innovative I've read since Mistborn. So glad there are still two more books after this one. Anyone know if the dagger and coin series by the same autor holds up to this one?

Also reading:

6b25f346a83b2473c23622d6b5007979.jpg

A wild sheep chase by Murakami Haruki, to keep my Japanese from vanishing. Read the book years ago in German and loved it.

And I guess in a few hours I can finally start reading my husband's NaNoWriMo-Novel. He hasn't told me anything about it so far, so I'm really exited :)

Top Bottom