• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
currently reading 'the black company'

wCwN8.jpg

just started it, but I think i really like it. It's written strange, very short sentances/descriptions of what's going on, kind of.... odd but I really like it so far.

Recently finished the third Monstrumologist book Isle of Blood and found it another very solid book in the series. I'm curious about Yancey's other works, anyone read those?

Just started the Wool: Omnibus seems like it has the potential to be a decent bit of dystopian fiction.

6b25f346a83b2473c23622d6b5007979.jpg

A wild sheep chase by Murakami Haruki, to keep my Japanese from vanishing. Read the book years ago in German and loved it.

Good choice. This was the first novel I finished reading in Japanese and I loved it. I find myself re-reading it and Wind Up Bird Chronicles every year or so, though I don't always finish the latter since it's so long.

Shiv47

31C8A0p2oLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Finished this yesterday. I should note I am in no way a Michael Jackson fan, beyond liking a handful of his songs; most of his output doesn't interest me, and I cannot understand the utter slavish devotion so many people have toward him (reflected in the Amazon ratings for this book, which is full of one star ratings by hardcore MJ fans, from a quick look). That said, I found it quite an interesting read for the most part, though the dedication to trying to throw a light on every machination of the various sleazeballs that surrounded him over the years occasionally grew wearisome, particularly towards the end. With a family like he had, it's hardly a shock he turned out as he did. I was left with a mix of deep sympathy for the guy and an equal mix of head-shaking at the stupidity of his spending and image management.

jtb

Banned
uHevc.jpg

Brushing up on 20th century literature for my 50 books this year. First up Nabokov: Lolita, then Pale Fire.

berg ark

200px-Crimeandpunishmentcover.png

Allright, so I'm reading Dostoyevsky. I'm about 60% through it. Oh my god, this book is good. But it does take time. I'm just curious how many books you guys read per year? I set a goal of 30, and I'm not sure I'm going to make it if I read these bigger litterary works. Don't get me wrong, I totally think it's worth it's time reading it properly.

Mumei

I'm reading Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy by James Stark and Tarzan of the Apes by Edward Rice Burroughs.

Brushing up on 20th century literature for my 50 books this year. First up Nabokov: Lolita, then Pale Fire.

Both are fantastic, but I liked Pale Fire slightly more.

Celegus

Making pretty good progress this year already, and finished Warm Bodies and Cold Days yesterday. I thought Warm Bodies was a fun and very different story, and for the most part enjoyed the writing style. The plot and events were a tough pill to swallow at times, but works better if you don't overthink it and just go along for the ride.

Cold Days was a return to form of everything I love about the Dresden Files after the middling Ghost Story. I find it so impressive that each book is a standalone story in its own right, but also dramatically progresses the overall story in each and every book. Really glad I stuck with the series after the first two books, Butcher's writing has improved tenfold since then. Can't wait for the next one!

Next up:

518848.jpg

My wife just read it, and even though she doesn't care much for fantasy, really liked it and is reading the second one now.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Just finished the first Mistborn book. Really liked it, looking forward to the next one.

Right now I'm reading:

410laP8FqlL.jpg

Not that far into it yet, but it's been great so far. Such an interesting concept.

Just Finished:
oPtPx.jpg

This was a really fun read with some very likeable characters. Looking forward to reading the sequels. But first, I just started:

eNbiR.jpg

I would but I want to finish the First Law Trilogy first. Plus I'm trying to space my self with Abercrombie's books as I really like them. He's becoming one of my favorite authors.

Ah yeah, my bad, confusing the order they come in lol. Yeah, I think once he got the First Law out of his system, he came into his own.

Best Served Cold, Heroes and Red Country all are very clearly his voice, but still have a very distinct character to them that I love.

About 80% through The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao... how did I not read this before!? Such a great book. Wish he was more prolific though.

Red Country is slow going for me. The first Abercrombie that I'm sort of struggling to finish. About halfway through. Maybe I haven't hit the "sweet spot" yet.

Red Country is slow going for me. The first Abercrombie that I'm sort of struggling to finish. About halfway through. Maybe I haven't hit the "sweet spot" yet.

Yeah, I would concur on that, faith in him kept me going :p I had a similar experience with Heroes. In the end I liked Red Country more than first law books and heroes, though definitely not more than Best Served.

So instead now I'm reading:
n221411.jpg

Appears to be just as good as the first one. Great and interesting characters. And the poet/andat magic system is one of the most innovative I've read since Mistborn. So glad there are still two more books after this one. Anyone know if the dagger and coin series by the same autor holds up to this one?

I love this series. Such a unique setting and a great character study. Only read the first one of the Dagger and Coin, which I did like, although it was a little less engaging.

eattomorro

Neo Member
200px-Crimeandpunishmentcover.png

Allright, so I'm reading Dostoyevsky. I'm about 60% through it. Oh my god, this book is good. But it does take time. I'm just curious how many books you guys read per year? I set a goal of 30, and I'm not sure I'm going to make it if I read these bigger litterary works. Don't get me wrong, I totally think it's worth it's time reading it properly.

I'd say I read between 20-30, but I never really keep track. Each book is a journey, and I don't want to feel rushed to get a certain amount done in a year. Mind you, I think i'm a slow reader...so seeing some people read 50-100 in a year is freekin' amazing.

I'm looking for a hardcover of Crime and Punishment, so it's good to hear you like it!

I'm not a slow reader, it is just that I read more than one book at a time. Usually between 5 and 10. Which makes for slow progress. Anyone else do this?

Yeah, I would concur on that, faith in him kept me going :p I had a similar experience with Heroes. In the end I liked Red Country more than first law books and heroes, though definitely not more than Best Served.

My order:

Best Served Cold > First Law > The Heroes > Red Country

RC could still have a redemptive moment that sets it above the rest, I don't know. None of the characters are "clicking" like the other books.

Finished Leviathan Wakes a few weeks ago, and I don't know. It was okay. No grand giant ships or set pieces. Missing something. I'll probably read the sequel, hoping the things I cared about are resolved.

Now... I just finished Ship of Fools.
Ship_of_Fools%2C_Richard_Paul_Russo_%28book_cover%29.jpg

Oh goodness. The locations the author(s) take you in this story are so imaginative, disturbing, boring (in the best way) and had me foaming at the mouth for answers to the questions.
A lot of things are left unanswered, well, really just about everything. I guess I was okay with that except one thing. The machine that the Bishop is working in the first few chapters, they don't explain what it is? Is the idea that he is intrigued by mysteries, is it what activated the signal from the planet? Thinking about things, there is a lot of stuff that they describe and nothing comes of it but that in particular bothered me till the end.
Its very much the Space Opera version of LOST.

I'm not sure which Space Opera i'll read next, but I don't think it'll top the fun I had in Ship of Fools. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thank you, thank you, thank you whoever recommended Ship of Fools. I'm absolutely loving it!
yeeeeeessssssss

If anyone wants to friend me on Goodreads, I read a lot of Sci-Fi.

Got 100 or so pages into Water for Elephants

Thinking of pausing it and starting A Fine Balance

Any recommendations for a guy who loved Thousand Splendid Suns? I like the books on Middle East/India though ones that focus on a personal story as opposed to something overly political. But I'm open to any suggestion of the type

Also have Harry Potter on tap. I want to know what the fuss is about in regards to the books/movies but I've never given it a proper shake

My order:

Best Served Cold > First Law > The Heroes > Red Country

RC could still have a redemptive moment that sets it above the rest, I don't know. None of the characters are "clicking" like the other books.

Put the heroes before first law trilogy and you have my ranking. I liked the group dynamic in it a little bit more

Piecake

Got 100 or so pages into Water for Elephants

Thinking of pausing it and starting A Fine Balance

Any recommendations for a guy who loved Thousand Splendid Suns? I like the books on Middle East/India though ones that focus on a personal story as opposed to something overly political. But I'm open to any suggestion of the type

Midnight's Children?

only Indian book ive read, but its quite awesome

I'm not sure which Space Opera i'll read next, but I don't think it'll top the fun I had in Ship of Fools. Any recommendations are welcome.

I haven't read Ship of Fools yet but it sounds right up my alley so I picked up the eBook.

As far as recommendations, I'm halfway through House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds and I love it (as I do pretty much everything I've read from him). Based on the first half, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

I haven't read Ship of Fools yet but it sounds right up my alley so I picked up the eBook.

As far as recommendations, I'm halfway through House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds and I love it (as I do pretty much everything I've read from him). Based on the first half, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.
Thanks, that looks like a good pick! I loved Revelation Space.

Piecake

Urgh. James Joyce is my head in. Anybody recommend anything lighter, namely more sane?

Ulysses is fucking awful and Stephen Deadalous is the most annoying character of all time (only slight hyperbole)

If you want to read a modernist work that is actually entertaining to read, I quite liked The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. It honestly gives me a Dostoevesky vibe. Hell, Proust is more readable than Joyce

If you dont care about it being modernist, the most entertaining literary novel that ive read is the Master and Margarita (get the diana burgin translation).

Thanks. How Sci Fi is it?

Well, its magical realism, so it definitely has some fantastical elements to it. Its set in the real world though and is tied to India's independence, so its by no means divorced from reality. The time and place are very important.

123011-28.JPG

I'll be starting this today.

What's this about?

I'm currently reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe. I gotta say, I'm about half way through it, and it's damned interesting.

Going to try and get into cryptonomicon next and finish off SuperGods.

I'm still trying to get through Erikson's Gardens of the Moon and I'm having a really tough time with it. The writing itself is quite good, but I'm having so much difficulty understanding the plot and what's going on. So much foreshadowing, so much history, terminology, characters, places, dates, names, gods, portals, dimensions....it's tricky stuff. I'm close to throwing in the towel, but we'll see.

Piecake

Teckla.jpg

Whelp, just got done reading that. Yea... I did not like it nearly as much as the first two for obvious reasons if you have read it. I mean, how heavy handed can you get?

This isnt going to be a recurring theme, is it? I mean, i could deal with it if it comes up in a book or two as a sub-plot, but man, if a good deal of the series is going to be about the masses, revolution, and other crap like that I think Ill drop this series right here

NekoFever

Started reading The Great Gatsby this morning.

200px-Gatsby_1925_jacket.gif

I just finished The Rats by James Herbet, which was utter shit, so I fancied something well-regarded and a bit older. Plus I want to read it before the movie comes out, and it's out of copyright here, so the ebook was free.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
chris-hayes-twilight-of-the-elites.jpg

(apologies if the image doesn't work, I can't use any image hosting sites at work here)

Chris Hayes - Twilight of the Elite.

My sister got it for me for christmas. She met him (I assume she means at a book signing) and got him to sign it with a little message to me. My dad's read it and like it.

Top Bottom